Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2022 1:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony]
Originally "Anyone got a photo of a lightened DCM tube?"

Arfcom archives and elsewhere haven't been kind to my searching. I've got a plot for six 0.75" holes and one 1" hole spaced 0.5" apart per side, but my memory recalls bigger holes.

Currently a BCM M4 receiver, FN A4 barrel, Rock River Arms DCM barrel nut and tube weighs 4.3lbs on the old grocery scale. So add a pound for BCG and sights to make an assembled upper.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sinister posted one a few years ago.

B
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep yep.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:07:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#3]
I got a line to borrow a vertical mill tomorrow.

According to the old grocery scales, the tube itself weighs 1.2lbs. The handguards weigh 0.4lb. The barrel nut assembly is probably another 0.3lb. Altogether about 2 pounds. I expect about 5oz shaved off.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#4]
Is the whole idea to get under the weight for a Modern Military rig?

I don't own one but have borrowed rigs to shoot that CMP game.

ETA: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2021/01/sunday-gunday-7-5-lb-ar-for-cmps-modern-military-discipline/
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
No. Just floating an A4 upper. Don't wanna spend another $200 on QRF12 yet, but 2lbs is ridiculous for a featureless handguard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#6]

Sketching out the side holes.
Attachment Attached File

Roughly indexing centers for the 5/16" vent holes.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Expanding the pilot holes in the sides to 3/4". I wanted 7/8", but the next size bit he had was 1" which was too much.
Attachment Attached File

Blue, orange/gold, and silver colored chips.
Attachment Attached File

15oz tube. The gas tube slot wasn't milled quite far enough for standard tubes. Meh. I was being conservative.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I think I'll do 4 flats and a dimple eventually.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

8.5lbs. Still front heavy, dammit. About the same as the carbine with light, BUIS, and TR24.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:13:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#7]
I broke the upper in yesterday.

Weather: 90-100*F, sunny with a some cloud patches over 2nd relay, occasional 5 mph gusts. It sucked, but wasn't unbearable.

I did just about everything to sabotage my mental game in the morning, but still pulled out a win amongst a majority field of M1, M1A, and M1 Carbines.

Load: 25gr IMR 3031/Hornady 55gr FMJ/2.255".

Standing: 77/100
The sighters beforehand weren't close to call. I had decent sight pictures and trigger presses, but they just didn't go in the middle. I worried there might be ammo/fresh throat dissonance and considered DNFing. I wasn't feeling good anyway. For the last 3 shots, I switched to Offhand and snapped them out. They were a typical 4 MOA left, but elevation was good and about 10-ring size. I used stock notch #5 of 6 for A2 length.

Sitting "Rapid": 93/100
My pants were too tight. Couldn't get my elbows on the front side of my knees. Wobble was a 9-ring CCW circle; I sent them at 12:00 when the post touched the bottom of bull. I recall the group being decently round at 11:00. Two notches longer than Prone with an M1907 sling still works well, but I might've been better off with 3 this day.

Prone "Rapid": 89/100-2x
Prep time was looking and feeling good until the end when my right hip/lower back started to cramp. So I rotated my position CCW about my waist and straightened my legs, more Euro style. 5 shots in the middle, 5 shots out left. Considering I tried 5+5 mags for the first time in more than a decade, I think I might have failed to place the stock or right elbow in the same spot.

Prone Slow: 188/200-4x
I had some difficulty with stock and  elbow placement, but mostly fought sliding glasses. It was heckin' hot. No spotting scope - just sent 'em.
Attachment Attached File

Aggregate: 447/500-6x.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
A week had gone by and I felt guilty about not paying homage to the barrel gods with an abbreviated proper break-in.

I lightly scrubbed the bore with Hoppe's #9 and JB paste. The only green I saw was in the crown and flash hider. Maybe moly just masks it well. I wanna get the borescope in just to see how little 65rds did.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
5oz.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
How much does it make weight by?  You have room for tungsten weights in the pistol grip hole.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice shooting.

Why not any number of free float rails?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Nice shooting.

Why not any number of free float rails?
View Quote
I kinda wanna switch to an A2 upper receiver. Kinda wanna buy another QRF12, a Meopta 3-18x, and 1913 adapter for my VersaPod to make something SDMish.

The barrel, receiver, and bolt are new, but have sat since autumn. I had the urge to tinker and break-in the barrel, so I pulled the DCM tube out of the parts bin for shakedown. Save money til a plan is more set.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
How much does it make weight by?  You have room for tungsten weights in the pistol grip hole.
View Quote
Whose plug do you use? Will it fit a spare bolt?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#15]
I think it's this one from Missouri Tactical off amazon.  I have two different types (one I got off Commercial Row -- I don't know who made it).

Yes, there's plenty of room for a spare bolt.

This is the improved Ergo from Midway:

Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I kinda wanna switch to an A2 upper receiver. Kinda wanna buy another QRF12, a Meopta 3-18x, and 1913 adapter for my VersaPod to make something SDMish.

The barrel, receiver, and bolt are new, but have sat since autumn. I had the urge to tinker and break-in the barrel, so I pulled the DCM tube out of the parts bin for shakedown. Save money til a plan is more set.
View Quote
I built a flat-top like you describe.  QRF-12 on sale from Primary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
You gonna paint over the bare metal? What size and spacing did you use?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
You gonna paint over the bare metal? What size and spacing did you use?
View Quote

Yeah, I have to get something on that bare metal. Holes .75 & .2 spacing... Removed approx 4oz.
Top Top