Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2020 8:46:15 PM EDT
This weekend in between the first and second 10 shot strings of rapid fire stage, I looked through my spotting scope and it had gotten bumped and also wasn't focused. The match director was blazing through the commands for second string and I made the huge mistake of not taking the time to scope first string. I thought, "my zeros are good, don't have time and not gonna fool with it". Boy, was I the fool. I had a great group (for me) but it was about 3.5"-4" below  bottom of the X ring. . .

So........ I twiddled that knob after that and slow prone was really good but that didn't repair the damage done. Thing is, I was up for reclassification yesterday and it cost me a new card. Live and learn.

Any procedural mistakes, boneheaded blunders, or inconceivably dull-witted decisions you've made on the line that you'd care to share with us?

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
First time at Perry for the National Matches (classified as Marksman), fired my sighters and made my sight correction in the opposite direction.  I ended up with a nice group at the edge of the nine ring.  The group was tight enough that it could have been my first ever clean if it was properly centered.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny that you bring this up. I was shooting a practice GSM match on my own with the Garand this weekend. 95 on prone slow, so I figured my zero was good for rapid. Guess I had my sling a little too tight or my elevation knob slipped cause this happened during rapid.
https://i.imgur.com/KwNlpnZ.jpg

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mechtaco04:
Funny that you bring this up. I was shooting a practice GSM match on my own with the Garand this weekend. 95 on prone slow, so I figured my zero was good for rapid. Guess I had my sling a little too tight or my elevation knob slipped cause this happened during rapid.
https://i.imgur.com/KwNlpnZ.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Cross-fired an X on my 20th shot from 600 in the Hearst Doubles last year.  I would have shot a 287-2X, putting me in 64th place out of 632 entries, and it would have been a personal best for a 30-round match.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jiva:
This weekend in between the first and second 10 shot strings of rapid fire stage, I looked through my spotting scope and it had gotten bumped and also wasn't focused. The match director was blazing through the commands for second string and I made the huge mistake of not taking the time to scope first string. I thought, "my zeros are good, don't have time and not gonna fool with it". Boy, was I the fool. I had a great group (for me) but it was about 3.5"-4" below  bottom of the X ring. . .

So........ I twiddled that knob after that and slow prone was really good but that didn't repair the damage done. Thing is, I was up for reclassification yesterday and it cost me a new card. Live and learn.

Any procedural mistakes, boneheaded blunders, or inconceivably dull-witted decisions you've made on the line that you'd care to share with us?

View Quote

Your not getting a new card any time soon the NRA is not accepting scores and have laid off completions staff
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snafu12:
Your not getting a new card any time soon the NRA is not accepting scores and have laid off completions staff
View Quote

Sanctioned matches resumed on July 1, 2020
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, bit of a necro post but here goes. I get prone at 600, scope my target, and fire my sighters which are two 10's just below the X. I start my timed fire scoping each shot. As I'm looking through my scope I see the target go down and come up and scored. The problem was I never took the shot. I had bumped my scope and was looking at the target to my right. Lucky for me I was only three shots in, and was being scored in the pit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:19:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
I never make mistakes.  ;-)

It seemed to me, the difference between marksman, expert and master could be as little as the elimination of mistake(s).  Making high master required you to actually have skill - know how to read the wind and have really good technique, etc.  

Making master was relatively easy.  Making high master was not easy.
Top Top