Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2020 8:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown]
So a coworker that shoots wound up talking me into getting into service rifle so I have been trying to piece together something on the cheap.  I am going to use a ar carbine that was already sitting in the safe.  Its sports an LMT M4 upper with a 1in7 chrome lined barrel I bought probably 12 years ago with a DD omega 7in rail on top of a Doublestar lower. I just bought a vortex cantilever mount and ordered an Athlon Argos BTR 1-4 ffp mil scope to go in the mount.  

I guess my question would be for using the sling should I put a sling swivel on the rail or use the fsb sling mount?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
MI's MCTAR-06.

I recommend taking the bolt out and loctiting the set screw inside before installing. The corners eventually bugged me, so I filed them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
MI's MCTAR-06.

I recommend taking the bolt out and loctiting the set screw inside before installing. The corners eventually bugged me, so I filed them.
View Quote
I use those or GG&G's.  OP, don't use the swivel on the front sight base -- it'll pull you off-zero.

An M4gery with a 4.5X should get you started nicely!  Has it got a good trigger?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sinister:
I use those or GG&G's.  OP, don't use the swivel on the front sight base -- it'll pull you off-zero.

https://www.brownells.com.au/image/cache/image/data/products/336000040_2-500x500.jpg

An M4gery with a 4.5X should get you started nicely!  Has it got a good trigger?
View Quote

Good trigger?  Lol no...

I have a list running of various things to upgrade, I am not sure what trigger to get.  Had been looking at a larue mbt
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#4]
I'd make the investment in a Geissele High Speed National Match.

If money's tight you might be able to get one used off the EE.  If you can't find one, then Geissele SSA, and finally a G2S (I got one direct for $99 last year on a holiday special -- maybe Christmas?).

I have no experience with the Larue trigger, but for what Mark asks it's a deal.  I have a number of Krieger-Milazzos and a whole bunch of Geisseles.

Rules for Service Rifle says the trigger has to lift a 4 1/2 pound weight off a table without firing.  GI triggers start at around six pounds.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck with the Rock River Arms service rifle trigger.  They can usually be found for around $90 or so.

With a good trigger and high quality ammo a carbine can post surprisingly respectable scores, if you do your part right.
Top Top