Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/13/2013 2:58:49 PM EDT
This weekend, I finally convinced my friend to sell me his Keng's AKS Polytech Spiker! He sold it to me for a ridiculously low price. He is the second owner. The original owner is a friend of us both. He traded it to him years ago. It is in great shape and has only had a couple of hundred rounds through it. It's from factory 416. I am going to shoot the crap out of it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a very nice and desirable rifle.  Now, go shoot the crap out of it!
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  Based on the shape of the trunnion it's a "earlier" version.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You mean the square ears where the barrel pin goes? I have both sloped and square trunnions from post 1990 MAK-90 kits. I also have a preban kengs polytech (like the OP) with the sloped ears. Is there a period when the square ears stopped? It seems to me that both were in production even during the early 90s.

Just curious and would like to know more info. Source?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the square ears where the barrel pin goes? I have both sloped and square trunnions from post 1990 MAK-90 kits. I also have a preban kengs polytech (like the OP) with the sloped ears. Is there a period when the square ears stopped? It seems to me that both were in production even during the early 90s.

Just curious and would like to know more info. Source?

I don't believe it's indicative of any era.  I've seen many military-issue ones from factories that were in both styles.  Even with a particular factory, they very likely used both styles for quite a while.  In particular to the commercially sold ones, I don't think there was really any pattern to them - it was just what the factory had on-hand to assemble on the semi-automatic assembly line at the factory.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
All the lower serial number Spikers I've seen have square trunnion, two retainer pins on the gas block and  and complete hand stamped serial numbers. The higher serial number Spikers have all had the slant trunnion, single pin gas block, and partial machine stamped serial number (PW-85 762).  There were several other differences like the bayonet.   I've had several of each for comparison.  Also every pre-Norinco 56S and Clayco I have seen have the square trunnion.  I have also never seen a MAK90 with a square trunion.  So I believe at some point they changed a few things.  Just my observations.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the lower serial number Spikers I've seen have square trunnion, two retainer pins on the gas block and  and complete hand stamped serial numbers. The higher serial number Spikers have all had the slant trunnion, single pin gas block, and partial machine stamped serial number (PW-85 762).  There were several other differences like the bayonet.   I've had several of each for comparison.  Also every pre-Norinco 56S and Clayco I have seen have the square trunnion.  I have also never seen a MAK90 with a square trunion.  So I believe at some point they changed a few things.  Just my observations.

Interesting. Makes perfect sense, at least for the Polytech. I just looked at the pics on mine and its matches your description to the T. I do have a Chinese kit that has a square trunnion. I didnt have a single pin gas block with the kit so i ended up using one from a Bulgarian T3 (which was 2 pin), which makes it correct to the period based on your description.

MAK-90 Trunnion

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting, I've never seen a MAK90 with a square trunion before.  Why was that one demilled?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting, I've never seen a MAK90 with a square trunion before.  Why was that one demilled?

No idea on history. The trunnion did not match the rest of the kit. I ended up using it for a fixed stock spiker build. I had the trunnion scrubbed and re-engraved to match the rest of the kit.

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've had a few square trunnion Mak-90's. As with almost everything Chinese there is no "standard":

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice score on the Chicom Spiker. I picked one up a few years back myself. Its still one of my 3 favorite AK's.
The stock set was a bit worn, so I replaced it with a new set, then treated it with 4 coats of low gloss tung oil, using 0000 steel wool after the 1st three coats.

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top