Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how is the non braced version the same price as that?  
Shouldn't that be cheaper?
View Quote

Labor Day sale?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Labor Day sale?
View Quote
I could have sworn that the cheapest price was $999 to begin with.  I think because the 104s without a brace are $899 is why I thought they'd be cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I could have sworn that the cheapest price was $999 to begin with.  I think because the 104s without a brace are $899 is why I thought they'd be cheaper.
View Quote

Ah, makes sense
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]

That's the one I got. I love it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Any more range reports?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Need more functional reviews.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Buy one, go to the range, and tell us how yours runs.  

Not all of us have time to get to the range the day the gun shows up.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need more functional reviews.

Buy one, go to the range, and tell us how yours runs.  

Not all of us have time to get to the range the day the gun shows up.

Sven
Manticore Arms
Not all of us want to buy a gun that has no reviews and there's been some questionable past models.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I was going to grab one of these as soon as they dropped, but got impatient and grabbed a couple of Polish AK pistols.  Still going to grab one, but now I'm going to wait until the CHF/CL barrels come out.  Any bugs should be long since worked out by then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have not even gotten a chance to put a round through it yet, but I figured with my SOT I might be there first person able to post what it looks like as an SBR!  

(sorry for the boring brown carpet background, just where I was able to quickly snap a photo).

Sven
Manticore Arms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/368252/psa_ak102_sbr-2519942.jpg
View Quote

Looking forward to seeing how yours shoots!

Any immediate issues?
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Ran another 100 through mine today. Testing out a Sig Tango 1-6.

Couldn't get a zero and found the top cover bolt loose. Had remnants of a decent amount of red loctite, so don't know what went wrong there.

Reapplied red locktite, tightened the screw back down, and was able to obtain a rough zero. I found I can't shoot off a tripod worth a crap.

Still over gassed by quite a bit with 5.56 ammo, but was reliable save for one light strike that wouldn't ignite in 3 tries.

It's fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Spoke too soon. Found my hand guard loose while inspecting the 102 tonight. Looks like I'll be taking that apart and loctiting all that too now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spoke too soon. Found my hand guard loose while inspecting the 102 tonight. Looks like I'll be taking that apart and loctiting all that too now.
View Quote

Which railed version did you have?
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's what I found when I took mine apart:

As it came off the weapon

Receiver adapter in the rail

This piece goes into the receiver. You can see the yellow thread lock. Mine had to be tightened several revolutions to get it to interface with the bottom of the trunnion before it removed the up and down slop. I'm not quite sure why this was allowed to leave the factory in this condition.  The threadlock doesn't solve much if there's not tension keeping it from moving in the first place.

This piece interfaces with the front retainer:

Absolutely no thread lock on the front tension screws, which explains why mine kept coming lose. These need something applied to them at the factory in my opinion.:

My advice: rip all apart, apply some blue (at minimum) thread locker on the tensioner screw, then test fit the receiver adapter and tighten the tensioner until it is almost a press fit.  Once that's in place, put some blue (again, at minimum) on the front handguard retainer tensioners, install the rail, and tighten the tensioners with a ball-end allen wrench until they're tight.  Witness mark everything and give it at least 24 hours before you shoot it again.  It's held so far on mine.

Also, I Rocksett my railed dust cover instead of just red thread lock. It's held up so far as well.  I need to put some electrical tape to try and shim mine up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which railed version did you have?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here's what I found when I took mine apart:

As it came off the weapon
https://i.imgur.com/PspbCm5.jpg

Receiver adapter in the rail
https://i.imgur.com/3Cgobl7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uyErE8T.jpg

This piece goes into the receiver. You can see the yellow thread lock. Mine had to be tightened several revolutions to get it to interface with the bottom of the trunnion before it removed the up and down slop. I'm not quite sure why this was allowed to leave the factory in this condition.  The threadlock doesn't solve much if there's not tension keeping it from moving in the first place.
https://i.imgur.com/BU6wYow.jpg

This piece interfaces with the front retainer:
https://i.imgur.com/OEPM1bF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qnnbc9Z.jpg

Absolutely no thread lock on the front tension screws, which explains why mine kept coming lose. These need something applied to them at the factory in my opinion.:
https://i.imgur.com/ODgiOvI.jpg

My advice: rip all apart, apply some blue (at minimum) thread locker on the tensioner screw, then test fit the receiver adapter and tighten the tensioner until it is almost a press fit.  Once that's in place, put some blue (again, at minimum) on the front handguard retainer tensioners, install the rail, and tighten the tensioners with a ball-end allen wrench until they're tight.  Witness mark everything and give it at least 24 hours before you shoot it again.  It's held so far on mine.

Also, I Rocksett my railed dust cover instead of just red thread lock. It's held up so far as well.  I need to put some electrical tape to try and shim mine up.
View Quote
Thanks for the tips, I'm on a work trip, but might have to borrow some parts out of the service truck and get this squared away. I just re-tightened everything tonight and the trunion block tension screw was able to be turned by my fingers. Reassembled best I could in the hotel room, but didn't have loctite or ball end allens, so will do it the right way tomorrow. Odd that my 104 with same JL rail is perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not all of us want to buy a gun that has no reviews and there's been some questionable past models.
View Quote

Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes ;)

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got a chance to run around 40-50 rounds the the AK-102 today, shot great and the recoil was pretty reasonable for an AK (did not feel overgassed).  Sights seemed spot on for the limited range and shooting we were doing (I was able to jump bits of junk in the air at 15-20 yards with no problem)

Tried the included AC Unity mag, Beryl 20 and 30 rounders, and a Circle 10 black 30 rounder in it, and all functioned 100%.  

Our intern, who has limited experience shooting, and our shop manager who has extensive experience shooting guns, both said it was their favorite gun to shoot today out of the 8 different rifles we were test firing.  I figure that is the best endorsement of a rifle you can get, LOL.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

That’s good to know!  Hopefully we get some bigger round count testing soon!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updated feedback?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any updated feedback?
View Quote

None from me lately. Work got crazy. However, I’m off for 14 days starting next Thursday and the weather is looking amazing so I plan on spending at least one day running my through its paces during that period.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:The PSA folder stock does not look exactly like an original Russian/Bulgrain stock, but is pretty close, and for the price of the overall package I am not complaining at all.
View Quote

In what way(s) does the PSA stock differ from the Russian and Bulgarian ones?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The molding is a little different on the left side, I will try to snap a comparison pic for you next time it is out of the safe.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#28]
@PalmettoStateArmory

are these 1:7 or 1:8 twist?   The description varies between the models of 102.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are all 1:8. I am getting them to correct any mis-labeled listings.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote

One thing I saw was that the JMAC ST-6’s did not fold but in a review is showed they folded, do they actually fold?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got a chance to run around 40-50 rounds the the AK-102 today, shot great and the recoil was pretty reasonable for an AK (did not feel overgassed).  Sights seemed spot on for the limited range and shooting we were doing (I was able to jump bits of junk in the air at 15-20 yards with no problem)

Tried the included AC Unity mag, Beryl 20 and 30 rounders, and a Circle 10 black 30 rounder in it, and all functioned 100%.  

Our intern, who has limited experience shooting, and our shop manager who has extensive experience shooting guns, both said it was their favorite gun to shoot today out of the 8 different rifles we were test firing.  I figure that is the best endorsement of a rifle you can get, LOL.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

In for pics of wear on bolt and trunion, accuracy at 50/100yds and any issues. I am willing to try a 5.56 if the bolts are good and hard and the accuracy is 2moa off bags.....

Lets see some range trip pics!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In for pics of wear on bolt and trunion, accuracy at 50/100yds and any issues. I am willing to try a 5.56 if the bolts are good and hard and the accuracy is 2moa off bags.....

Lets see some range trip pics!
View Quote
I'm not a great bench shooter, but mine is 4-5 MOA with m193 and a 1-6x on top. Same 193 shoots roughly 2" in my Block2 clone at 100yds.

I need to try some better ammo, but it sure looks like standard AK accuracy for mine. I won't comment on being happy or mad about that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not a great bench shooter, but mine is 4-5 MOA with m193 and a 1-6x on top. Same 193 shoots roughly 2" in my Block2 clone at 100yds.

I need to try some better ammo, but it sure looks like standard AK accuracy for mine. I won't comment on being happy or mad about that.
View Quote

I’m getting 3 MOA max out of my AK’s with total ass ammo, it should not be that Inaccurate
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm getting 3 MOA max out of my AK's with total ass ammo, it should not be that Inaccurate
View Quote
I agree. My waffen -74 with spam can was 1.5moa ish, was amazingly accurate.

4-5" @100 with 223 and a 1-6 optic is not within useable limits for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm getting 3 MOA max out of my AK's with total ass ammo, it should not be that Inaccurate

i'd agree too
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll need to reverify then. Because it isn't stacking them in there real great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Post pics of the groups...i wanna see the holes @50/100yds......
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I put a 1-4x Steiner on mine last week.  I plan on getting to the range tomorrow or this weekend.  I'll post pics of what I'm able to do and with what types of rounds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks everyone for posting info!

I’m holding out for the long Zenitco copy handguards and dust cover, or at least something close enough where adding those parts later is not a problem
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Alright, who's ready for another range report?  It's 72*F and low humidity and I'm vacation for 12 days, so you damn well better bet I'm ready for one.  

The set up.  Brought a Radom, a Circle 10, and two AC Unity mags today.  I'm shooting off a couple of bags.  At first I was shooting bent over as the two sit down benches were occupied.  This will have an effect on the groups:

Mags left to right: Circle 10 w/ AE XM855 62 gr, AC Unity w/ Wolf Steel Case 55 gr, AC Unity w/ Impact 55 gr. remans, and Radom w/ Wolf Gold 55 gr.

Gratuitous beauty shots. I think this thing just looks bad ass.  As info, this weighs 9.4# according to my bathroom scale w/o a mag:

Ok, first group. All groups at 50 yards. Again, this is not seated.  This from a bent over 90* position resting on those two bags in the pics above. Not exactly a stable platform for sure. The last shot I shanked just a hair and threw it low.  That's on me, but I don't post perfect groups. It is what it is.  Ammo is American Eagle 62gr. XM855 green tip:

As part of a later group, that shit got spicy for a hot second.  I've never had this happen to me before. Looks like it ripped the case about 1/3 way up and then jammed the next round into it.  I was somehow able to pull the separated case from the chamber w/ the round stuck in it with my finger.  After ripping everything apart and checking for a squib/obstructed bore and the bolt face, etc for any damage, I kept shooting without issue.

Only other issues I had other than that were a couple of rounds of remans from Impact that were super soft shooting (made for competition w/ ARs) and didn't push the bolt carrier rearward hard enough to strip the next round.  I slapped up on the mag in both cases and it stripped the round and kept going.  I stopped shooting that stuff after that and never had another issue with feeding or extraction.

Ok, Wolf steel case 55 gr.:

Wolf Gold 55 gr. in the center, AE 62 gr. bottom right:

Wolf Gold 55 gr.:

Ok, now, an experiment.  I shot five rounds of Wolf steel case 55 gr, open and closed the top cover five times, then shot five more, for a total of 30 rounds.  Here's the sequence of groups:

And now for why I think this is happening:
PSA railed AK top cover lateral movement.

That movement definitely seems to be playing apart w/ the shift.  I'm fairly confident in saying this is a 3-4 moa rifle.  It's holding 1.5-2" or so at 50 yards with multiple ammo types (that aren't match grade) from unsteady positions. I'm fine with that. If you're not, so be it.

And now, for shits and giggles, four mag dumps with no failures:
PSA AK102 mag dumps post warranty work for a weak extractor spring.

As you can see, the gas tube is loose again.  That sucks.  If had to do it over again, with all the trouble of the accessories on this thing, I'd recommend just getting the vanilla AK102 and forego the PSA high-speed furniture and figure out other ways to mount your shit. Side rail scope mounts like the RS Regulate are phenomenal. This thing is also very front end heavy, as you can see from the video.  I normally try to keep everything in my work space, but thing just wants to drop as soon as you let go w/ your support hand.  It needs a heavier stock at the rear at the least, which I'll have once I send off the eForm to SBR this thing.  I think it works now.  It's up to...750 rounds now? I just can't justify the inhouse accessories with all the troubleshooting
required thus far.  Get the conventional set up and add what you want later.

ETA:  Update on the gas tube.  Metal and heat do some crazy shit.  I know this from my day-to-day work.  I should've assumed it would apply here, because it does.  It's completely tight again. No wobble or anything front to back or side to side.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Alright, who's ready for another range report?  It's 72*F and low humidity and I'm vacation for 12 days, so you damn well better bet I'm ready for one.  

The set up.  Brought a Radom, a Circle 10, and two AC Unity mags today.  I'm shooting off a couple of bags.  At first I was shooting bent over as the two sit down benches were occupied.  This will have an effect on the groups:
https://i.imgur.com/ZtzKKoL.jpg

Mags left to right: Circle 10 w/ AE XM855 62 gr, AC Unity w/ Wolf Steel Case 55 gr, AC Unity w/ Impact 55 gr. remans, and Radom w/ Wolf Gold 55 gr.
https://i.imgur.com/4VLOd0t.jpg

Gratuitous beauty shots. I think this thing just looks bad ass.  As info, this weighs 9.4# according to my bathroom scale w/o a mag:
https://i.imgur.com/Or5cx6t.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fRuNK8i.jpg

Ok, first group. All groups at 50 yards. Again, this is not seated.  This from a bent over 90* position resting on those two bags in the pics above. Not exactly a stable platform for sure. The last shot I shanked just a hair and threw it low.  That's on me, but I don't post perfect groups. It is what it is.  Ammo is American Eagle 62gr. XM855 green tip:
https://i.imgur.com/TquGqwd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LxD9F2j.jpg

As part of a later group, that shit got spicy for a hot second.  I've never had this happen to me before. Looks like it ripped the case about 1/3 way up and then jammed the next round into it.  I was somehow able to pull the separated case from the chamber w/ the round stuck in it with my finger.  After ripping everything apart and checking for a squib/obstructed bore and the bolt face, etc for any damage, I kept shooting without issue.
https://i.imgur.com/qqVQqWG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2YhnB2V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SvgEmlq.jpg

Only other issues I had other than that were a couple of rounds of remans from Impact that were super soft shooting (made for competition w/ ARs) and didn't push the bolt carrier rearward hard enough to strip the next round.  I slapped up on the mag in both cases and it stripped the round and kept going.  I stopped shooting that stuff after that and never had another issue with feeding or extraction.

https://i.imgur.com/JQeeFdc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/W5C9xSX.jpg

Wolf Gold 55 gr.:
https://i.imgur.com/l6inoTJ.jpg

Ok, now, an experiment.  I shot five rounds of Wolf steel case 55 gr, open and closed the top cover five times, then shot five more, for a total of 30 rounds.  Here's the sequence of groups:
https://i.imgur.com/7ln9hRp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t0YVM5E.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YUEujk1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/G6W3r45.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WTgCF1t.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ax3ehtaJE

That movement definitely seems to be playing apart w/ the shift.  I'm fairly confident in saying this is a 3-4 moa rifle.  It's holding 1.5-2" or so at 50 yards with multiple ammo types (that aren't match grade) from unsteady positions. I'm fine with that. If you're not, so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBKb4NIWWE

As you can see, the gas tube is loose again.  That sucks.  If had to do it over again, with all the trouble of the accessories on this thing, I'd recommend just getting the vanilla AK102 and forego the PSA high-speed furniture and figure out other ways to mount your shit. Side rail scope mounts like the RS Regulate are phenomenal. This thing is also very front end heavy, as you can see from the video.  I normally try to keep everything in my work space, but thing just wants to drop as soon as you let go w/ your support hand.  It needs a heavier stock at the rear at the least, which I'll have once I send off the eForm to SBR this thing.  I think it works now.  It's up to...750 rounds now? I just can't justify the inhouse accessories with all the troubleshooting

ETA:  Update on the gas tube.  Metal and heat do some crazy shit.  I know this from my day-to-day work.  I should've assumed it would apply here, because it does.  It's completely tight again. No wobble or anything front to back or side to side.
View Quote

Great write up and confirmed a concern I had about the dust cover, but when I look at the options I want, economically it seems smarter to get a railed handguard model because it comes with ALG trigger, JMAC ST6 skeleton tube, and linear comp, vs plain Jane doesn’t have any of that and is $100 cheaper, so you’re telling me for $100 more I can get those three things, by themselves combined are worth like $300?  Seems like I have to buy the model without the dust cover but still has the handguards

Personally I’m anxiously awaiting the long handguard Zenitco style rails
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wolf Gold 55 gr.:

View Quote

Perfect review, and thx. Yep vanilla is a great way to start out and add from there.

I will say that your 50yd groups was what i need 100yd groups to look like, especially with an optic on it.  I will withold purchasing at this time
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wolf Gold 55 gr.:

View Quote

Shoot me a PM next time you roll to SE and I'll bring the 105 out for some side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#45]
After reading this thread it seems that most people are getting 4moa. It also seems everyone is having zero issues with the rail. Does that seem right?

ak-operators union4774 just posted a video praising this gun (he made it clear he only put 1000rds through it) but he had great accuracy using a side rail.

I plan on putting a sureshot armament rail on mine but if it’s a 4moa gun not sure I wanna spend the money on a 700 rail.

Also what’s the deal with the ST-6 on jmacs website it says it folds but on psa’s it says it doesn’t I plan on making it a sbr idk if that will change anything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you, seems like a great source for info idk how I didn’t find it sooner!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Welcome to Arfcom and the AK Discussions Forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After reading this thread it seems that most people are getting 4moa. It also seems everyone is having zero issues with the rail. Does that seem right?

ak-operators union4774 just posted a video praising this gun (he made it clear he only put 1000rds through it) but he had great accuracy using a side rail.

I plan on putting a sureshot armament rail on mine but if it's a 4moa gun not sure I wanna spend the money on a 700 rail.

Also what's the deal with the ST-6 on jmacs website it says it folds but on psa's it says it doesn't I plan on making it a sbr idk if that will change anything.
Welcome to Arfcom and the AK Discussions Forum.

Thank you, seems like a great source for info idk how I didn’t find it sooner!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I plan on putting a sureshot armament rail on mine but if it's a 4moa gun not sure I wanna spend the money on a 700 rail.

View Quote
I am also BAFFLED that every reviewer doing a video on youtube says the psa 100 series are accurate with no issues whatsoever, but people that post on arfcom have soft, inaccurate misfit guns, with documented issues.....which leads me to assume  that they are getting cherry picked rifles, OR shoot them very little, never shoot actual groups, etc.

Page / 6
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top