Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/7/2022 3:43:20 PM EDT
How hard is it to turn one of these into a SBR?

https://atlanticfirearms.com/galil-type-galeo-pistol-polymer

legally with F1 stamp
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple.

Add stock.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simple.

Add stock.
View Quote

Really that's it?

Looks like it has a pistol tube with no adjustments, no need switch anything out?

Is there a certain stock I would need to use?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Knock that Roll pin out and yes you would need a Galil stock with the mount that slides into the rear of th rec. and pin it ine.

Hard to find just stocks though-Well shit not anymore I guess https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-folding-stock-w-locking-piece-gd.html
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Are those any good? I didn't realize they were surplus parts kits built on ATi receivers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Knock that Roll pin out and yes you would need a Galil stock with the mount that slides into the rear of th rec. and pin it ine.

Hard to find just stocks though-Well shit not anymore I guess https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-folding-stock-w-locking-piece-gd.html
View Quote

Ok, that's what I'm asking about. How hard is that to do?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one come out pretty easy, and I still have one that I gave up on and need to get back to if that tells you anything
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
A framing hammer, a roll pin punch set, and a solid workbench with a rubber mat will get it out.

If it doesn't just drill it out and call it a day.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I been wanting a classic Galil so bad lately but not a shorty

Edit
I wouldn't ever use a buffer tube unless it was necessary for the gun to function. Just my perspective
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a Galil SAR minus the stock. The hardest part may be inserting the stock into the hole in the receiver, which is a good thing. One roll pin, stock, and a tax stamp (plus engraving) and you will have a nice handy rifle. I think these are intentionally made this way so they can be acquired immediately, then file the Form 1. That hideous tube out of the back makes me thing that is the case. Galil's are neat. I have put one AR (no bipod version) together and I have a MAR kit I will be working on next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I had an ATI Galil rifle.  Sent it back due to sighting in issues.  It was promptly corrected and sent back to me.  These use Tapco Galil mags, that only ATI seems to have?  Original Galil mags may or may not fit without modifying the tab.  Than there's 922 issues if you decided to convert it into a Rifle (and believe in such things).  With the steel milled receiver, these are heavy.

I've been on the fence on whether to pick one up.  I've already got a Galil Ace w/13" SBR.  But go watch District 9 and you'll want one.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like a decent price at least
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Read this.  It is my gun

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/ATI-Galeo-Pistol-Issue/92-169065/
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Read this.  It is my gun

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/ATI-Galeo-Pistol-Issue/92-169065/
View Quote

@unrock

Thanks. Guess I'll pass. Sounds like ATI took a great and easy idea and fucked it up
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Don’t get wrong the gun looks fantastic but I believe receiver is not properly heattreated.  The right locking lug seem to wear down prematurely, creating unsafe condition.  Now it may eventually settle after using couple of bolts.  And this is proving your new bolt is slightly bigger to HS properly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
@unrock

Well I said fuck it and got one. @Atlanticfirearms hopefully has things worked out. Bought 1k rounds to try out this and my cetme-l. Hopefully they both run ok.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck.  I also picked Cetme-L with collapsible stock in green.  Now that is very nice rifle.  Not many rounds through  it but so far very impressed
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Are these south African parts kits?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#21]
How ridiculous, having an AR recoil tube on the back of that when the recoil spring is inside the gun. Who came up with that brilliant idea? Just get the real Galil folder from Apex, or buy an AR. GARY.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How ridiculous, having an AR recoil tube on the back of that when the recoil spring is inside the gun. Who came up with that brilliant idea? Just get the real Galil folder from Apex, or buy an AR. GARY.
View Quote

Its for people who want a braced pistol and not SBR.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Ya, I just picked mine up that I ordered from you guys yesterday. Overall looks good. Gonna dump 200 rounds through it this weekend and see if the headspace changes any. If it doesn't, I'll submit a F1 for a stock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, shouldn't be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, shouldn't be.

Ok. It just seems every rifle that looks like mine was SA R5 R6 or whatever.

Of course I didn't look through every picture online
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its for people who want a braced pistol and not SBR.
View Quote
With braces probably being illegal in a few months? Our shop no longer sells braced pistols until a decision is made. We’ve been told by local ATF agents that should the braces be outlawed, or require a stamp, any braced AR we sell, or ever sold will be considered an SBR. Better to play safe for now. GARY.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#26]
@unrock

What kind of headspace issues are/were you having?

I put about 120 rounds through mine and started having issues extracting with the tapco mag in. But when I single shot it with no mag I didn't have any issues. Was using tula steel case.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Headspace has nothing to do with mag.  I was running brass ammo and IMI magazines.  But issues were the same with extracting cases. But mine started to occur after about 200 rounds.  I would advise to have the headspace checked.

If you had no issues with first 100 rounds or so with that mag, it is likely the same problem as my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Headspace has nothing to do with mag.  I was running brass ammo and IMI magazines.  But issues were the same with extracting cases. But mine started to occur after about 200 rounds.  I would advise to have the headspace checked.

If you had no issues with first 100 rounds or so with that mag, it is likely the same problem as my rifle.
View Quote

My thought was that the rounds in the mag were causing the bolt to shift during rear travel.

Looking at the to locking lugs it looks like the right one wasn't milled correctly(to short) or something and allows the bolt to "pivot" right too much which might be why it doesn't get a full grip on the case.

I ordered a 556 max gauge to see. Of course I'm pretty sure what it will tell me.

Was reading someone on reddit lost HS after 1500 rounds.

@unrock

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Best to wait for HS gage to check.  If the mag was an issue you would have see this from the beginning. I would try different mag too.  Not sure but it sounds like the same problem I had.  

I just don’t have enough ammo to blast through the gun.  In my case, the lug might have gone thorough initial “set back”, where the material had settled and new barrel/bolt relationship will remain unchanged.   Not sure, but I have build a Galil on ORF receiver with similar problem.  After 3 bolt now HS seems to be fine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Best to wait for HS gage to check.  If the mag was an issue you would have see this from the beginning. I would try different mag too.  Not sure but it sounds like the same problem I had.  

I just don't have enough ammo to blast through the gun.  In my case, the lug might have gone thorough initial "set back", where the material had settled and new barrel/bolt relationship will remain unchanged.   Not sure, but I have build a Galil on ORF receiver with similar problem.  After 3 bolt now HS seems to be fine.
View Quote
ORF receivers were notorious for being soft and out of spec. Just ask ARS, bring your ear plugs though.

I do agree with you though, HS needs to be checked.

OP, you'll have a bitchin SBR when the wrinkles are ironed out. I used to have a Galil SAR SBR, shoulda never sold it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I built one on a cnc warrior receiver this winter. It’s smooth to shoot because of the weight.

I just need a barrel and I will be able to finish its big .308 brother.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I built one on a cnc warrior receiver this winter. It’s smooth to shoot because of the weight.

I just need a barrel and I will be able to finish its big .308 brother.  

https://i.imgur.com/Fw8nL1c.jpg
View Quote

The SAR is pure sex in this configuration. Badass rig you built!
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just don’t have enough ammo to blast through the gun.  In my case, the lug might have gone thorough initial “set back”, where the material had settled and new barrel/bolt relationship will remain unchanged.   Not sure, but I have build a Galil on ORF receiver with similar problem.  After 3 bolt now HS seems to be fine.
View Quote

@unrock

How does that work? Are there different sized bolts?

From my redneck engineering my HS looks to be at about 0.016. I'll double check when my gauge gets here before I send it back to make sure it's kaput.

Did they install a new barrel on yours?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m not an expert but IMI or IWI does make different size bolts.  But you will not be able to find one that is going to work for you based on the size.  When I built my ORF gun, I had to fit the bolt.  So, as the receiver lugs would wear down the next bolt had to be filled little less.  The last one just dropped in.

ATI installed new barrel in my gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m not an expert but IMI or IWI does make different size bolts.  But you will not be able to find one that is going to work for you based on the size.  When I built my ORF gun, I had to fit the bolt.  So, as the receiver lugs would wear down the next bolt had to be filled little less.  The last one just dropped in.

ATI installed new barrel in my gun.
View Quote

What's the most space you could take up with a new barrel?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What's the most space you could take up with a new barrel?
View Quote

Not sure how to answer your question
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I have two kits. When I built mine I started with the best fitting bolt and then slowly filed the bolt lugs until it headspaced.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have two kits. When I built mine I started with the best fitting bolt and then slowly filed the bolt lugs until it headspaced.
View Quote

Ya, that's what they should have done. But they're mass producing so they probably take some shortcuts.

Watched a video series yesterday, and it looks like I should have just built one. Thought it took more.

How to Galil *Master Class* ep.1 : How to Install Your Galil barrel

That guy goes over everything but how to press the gas block  on. Not sure why he skipped it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
@unrock

Said they installed a new barrel and lapped the bolt. Guess I'll see, should be here Monday

Wonder how much they actually make on them with how many have to go back
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top