Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/26/2013 12:54:00 PM EDT
So how corrosive is it?  I just got back from the range where I ran a bunch of 7n6 surplus through my new SGL31-95.  I've already field stripped the gun and washed with water all of the parts (including the barrel and receiver portion) in the kitchen sink.

I'm waiting for the gun to dry off good and then I'm going to begin my normal cleaning routine with CLP.

I'm still paranoid that I'm going to check my gun in a few days and it's going to be a rust heap.  Just how bad are the corrosive salts come out of the 7n6 surplus?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen guns rust shut, but these never get cleaned. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The corrosive affects are over-hyped. If you hadn't cleaned it you'd probably just see a little bit of surface rust forming.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So how corrosive is it?  I just got back from the range where I ran a bunch of 7n6 surplus through my new SGL31-95.  I've already field stripped the gun and washed with water all of the parts (including the barrel and receiver portion) in the kitchen sink.

I'm waiting for the gun to dry off good and then I'm going to begin my normal cleaning routine with CLP.

I'm still paranoid that I'm going to check my gun in a few days and it's going to be a rust heap.  Just how bad are the corrosive salts come out of the 7n6 surplus?
View Quote

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  You probably already did it but I do recommend you take the brake off and rinse it under the threads.   Some folks new to corrosive let that one slip.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Check you bolt face in a couple days.  That's where I saw rust show up even after a good cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, they're corrosive alright, but as long as you keep a good cleaning and oiling, you'll be fine.

Me, I went extra full retard in my paranoia with that round that I got the gas tube in my AR coated in melonite, had the barrel lined with nitride, the barrel extension, every part of the BCG, and the hammer in NB. I took no short cuts in my full retardedness.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty bad. This is my AK after a single range trip

And my cars didn't do well with 7N6 corrosive residue either

I drove by the marina and this happened

Be careful with that stuff

Z
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I had no idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's pretty bad. This is my AK after a single range trip

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/MISC/RustedAK.jpg

And my cars didn't do well with 7N6 corrosive residue either

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/MISC/rusted-cars-oradour.jpg
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/MISC/RustedCar.jpg

I drove by the marina and this happened

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/MISC/RustedSub.jpg

Be careful with that stuff

Z
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
It's fine, ALL you need to do is rinse with water after shooting.  I don't clean after shooting it.

My experience with a 5.45 AR
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do recommend you take the brake off and rinse it under the threads.   Some folks new to corrosive let that one slip.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do recommend you take the brake off and rinse it under the threads.   Some folks new to corrosive let that one slip.....

Yes, I found out the hard way on this one. After trying everything possible,I had to have a gunsmith remove the brake.
Early on, I would disassemble the rifle and spray the parts with a solution of 75% water and 25% ammonia, but I later found that to be way over-kill.
Now after shooting mil surplus ammo, I just disassemble the rifle (including the brake) and rinse the parts and inner rifle with warm water, then lube. No rust whatsoever anywhere after many range trips.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
wrong post
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  You probably already did it but I do recommend you take the brake off and rinse it under the threads.   Some folks new to corrosive let that one slip.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just how bad are the corrosive salts come out of the 7n6 surplus?

What if your rifle has a pinned and welded brake?
Not new to corrosive, but new to shooting corrosive ammo in a rifle with pinned and welded muzzle brake.  

Is there anything I can put in there to protect or seal the threads if I can't remove it?  Thinking of some high temp motor oil to soak in the threads...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have nearly no issues with corrosive ammo here in AZ and often clean m 74's a day or 2 after shooting but if I was in NC I would be far more concerned and on top of it due to the humidity
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I use CLP liberally and have no problems, I don't soak with water, still no rust on my Krink after 1080 rounds of it
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not new to corrosive, but new to shooting corrosive ammo in a rifle with pinned and welded muzzle brake.  

Is there anything I can put in there to protect or seal the threads if I can't remove it?  Thinking of some high temp motor oil to soak in the threads...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wouldn't shoot corrosive ammo in a rifle with a pinned brake.   It may be okay for a while if you dunk it in boiling water or something but the salts will eventually migrate into the threads and there will be problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just wouldn't shoot corrosive ammo in a rifle with a pinned brake.   It may be okay for a while if you dunk it in boiling water or something but the salts will eventually migrate into the threads and there will be problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 5.45 AR is pinned and welded to, a 14.5.

Fuck...

Wolf and Golden Tiger isn't corrosive, I hear
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should be good to go just check it in case there was a place the water didn't hit. People freak out way too much over corrosive ammo. All you need to do is flush with plain water then clean and lube as usual. Water that is boiling or near boiling can be used as well. The benefit to the hot water is it evaporates almost instantly and you don't need to use compressed air to blow your rifle dry.

Here's something to remember when buying ammo. It's either corrosive or non-corrosive. There is no such thing as mildly corrosive and that's a fact.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fuck...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck...

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Mine aren't pinned but I don't remove the muzzle device each time either on the ARs.  AR threads are a lot more 'sealed' (for lack of a better word) than AKs.   I do dun mine in some hot water after shooting each time though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#19]
No problems with corrosive ammo and my muzzle threads on my AR.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You should be good to go just check it in case there was a place the water didn't hit. People freak out way too much over corrosive ammo. All you need to do is flush with plain water then clean and lube as usual. Water that is boiling or near boiling can be used as well. The benefit to the hot water is it evaporates almost instantly and you don't need to use compressed air to blow your rifle dry.

Here's something to remember when buying ammo. It's either corrosive or non-corrosive. There is no such thing as mildly corrosive and that's a fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't clean my 5.45 AR over the course of 7 or 8 months and 1,000 or 1,500 rounds.

The only thing that made me change my mind was after that, and a short stint in which I hadn't been shooting lately, I had to mortar the damn thing open.  

No rust, just carbon caked up stuck apparently.

(Only about 200 rounds of the above was shot suppressed)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn't clean my 5.45 AR over the course of 7 or 8 months and 1,000 or 1,500 rounds.

The only thing that made me change my mind was after that, and a short stint in which I hadn't been shooting lately, I had to mortar the damn thing open.  

View Quote

I'm in VA and I can see the corrosion in one day after shooting.  Is it dry where you're at?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#23]
plouffedaddy,

Friend, right now I'm very cautious to your advice. Another member here did a full eval on the Emod that you're shooting here in that pic still of the video you did, which has proven that Emods do not work with 5.45 flawlessly as you said it does. No offense, man...but I'm like at what you say from here on out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/625618_Ok_guys_5_45_mags_part_2_now_with_more_Emag_updated_with_videos.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
 I'm in VA and I can see the corrosion in one day after shooting.  Is it dry where you're at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't say it's dry per se, but if you're close to the ocean, it's a lot more dry than where you're at.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#25]
All you need is water.

Then oil after you finish cleaning.

Has worked well for thousands of rounds of 7n6
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Like being pregnant, there's no such thing as "slightly" corrosive.  It is or it isn't, and in corrosive ammo there's no such thing as ammo that's more or less corrosive.
The corrosive element is the primer, which produces a form of salt when fired.  There might be a slight difference between the amount of salt produced by a large primer versus a small primer, but not enough to make the slightest difference, the rifle is still going to have salt crystals deposited every where the fumes contacted.

The salt is deposited in microscopic particles where the fumes come in contact with the metal and the tiny salt crystals attract moisture from the air and cause rust.
If you live in a very dry area with little humidity you can get by for at least some time before it starts rusting.
Live in a humid area, summer or winter and a gun fired with corrosive ammo can start rusting in literally a couple of hours.

If you have a non-removable muzzle attachment, all you need to do is boil a pot of water with a few drops of kitchen soap as a wetting agent, then stick the muzzle into the pot of water and swish it around.
The hot water will bring out the salt residue, dissolve it, and flush it out.
After it flash dries you can spray in some sort of rust preventing lube.

How fast a rifle will rust depends on how humid it is where you are on a particular day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#27]
The climate you're in matters much more than people mention.  I've fired corrosive ammo through guns and let them sit for a month afterwards in a dry environment and they haven't rusted.  I don't recommend this, I just forgot on several occasions.

People who live in very humid climates tend to find that the metal surfaces start to rust within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Or faster.

I know of a man that lives in a very humid area.
He went to the range on a hot, humid day and put a few magazines through his AK-74.
He put the rifle in the trunk and stopped off at a bar for a couple of beers.

When he got home a couple of hours later, his rifle was beginning to rust.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
plouffedaddy,

Friend, right now I'm very cautious to your advice. Another member here did a full eval on the Emod that you're shooting here in that pic still of the video you did, which has proven that Emods do not work with 5.45 flawlessly as you said it does. No offense, man...but I'm like at what you say from here on out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/625618_Ok_guys_5_45_mags_part_2_now_with_more_Emag_updated_with_videos.html
View Quote

Interesting.  I wonder if he was using the new EMags (with the over insertion tab) or old ones....   I only have the ones now with the tabs FWIW, and I've only used the ones with the tab for 5.45.  

No offense taken.   All I try to do on my channel and here on the forums is share my experience and knowledge with others for the benefit of our community.  If others have different experiences then I appreciate them sharing as well.   Like I say in a lot of my videos---I'm just a guy in a field with some guns and a camera.  I'm no one special and don't have any dillusions as such.  The more information the better as far as I'm concerned.  Glad you posted the link.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I fired my new upper with surplus ammo, and left it for two days with higher than usual humidity...it blossomed a powdery rust in the entire chamber....brushed away pretty clean though with no discernable pitting....

I think the salts are in every surp ammo...but it depends on the level of humidity you have near your rifle.  the lower humidity  20% ?  you could last a while longer before Major Pitting shows up.

bolt face, barrel and muzzle brake...keep looking until you brush them salts away.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I wonder if he was using the new EMags (with the over insertion tab) or old ones....   I only have the ones now with the tabs FWIW, and I've only used the ones with the tab for 5.45.  

No offense taken.   All I try to do on my channel and here on the forums is share my experience and knowledge with others for the benefit of our community.  If others have different experiences then I appreciate them sharing as well.   Like I say in a lot of my videos---I'm just a guy in a field with some guns and a camera.  I'm no one special and don't have any dillusions as such.  The more information the better as far as I'm concerned.  Glad you posted the link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
plouffedaddy,

Thanks, now post what you said in that thread. We need a hive to sort this out together.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
plouffedaddy,

View Quote

There are different variations of each mag, even if they're not advertised as such.  I don't think it's a reason to discredit everything the guys says.  That being said, we should figure out which versions of what mags do work.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are different variations of each mag, even if they're not advertised as such.  I don't think it's a reason to discredit everything the guys says.  That being said, we should figure out which versions of what mags do work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
plouffedaddy,

Please do join the link sir. Hopefully we can get a sticky to finally air out some conflicting information.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:31:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Please do join the link sir. Hopefully we can get a sticky to finally air out some conflicting information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
plouffedaddy,

Subscribed
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Thankfully, I belong to a small, very informal shooting/hunting club.  If I want to, I can take a spray can of Ballistol, a toothbrush, cleaning rag and bore snake with me to the range and clean an ak-74 clone IMMEDIATELY after shooting milsurplus if I want to.   OR I can clean immediately after the 25-minute drive home more conveniently.  I NEVER go to the range unless I am sure that I will have cleaning time immediately after the range session.

BTW, I love shooting the ak-74 clones much more than the ar-15 m-4 variants.   Almost zero recoil for fast follow-up shots - although certainly the m-4 clones don't have much recoil either when they have a good recoil spring and a heavy buffer installed.  It's almost a win-win situation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I break down my AKs, rinse with water hose and then lay a hair dryer next to them for 20 minutes. Then clean as normal. Corrosive ammo isn nearly as bad as everyone says. It's not lie acid where it would eat your gun it absorbs water and the water causes rust. So imagine if you left your gun outside in the rain and it started to rust. We'll it would be half that bad over time.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top