Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 2:07:50 PM EDT
Trying to get some info guys, kind of interested in a PSL, do not have the cash for a dragunov or other. Sometimes I see PSL's bashed for being "just stretched ak's". I would like to weed out the gun snobs here, and just give me the facts. I can tell the difference between the two, but if say a gunsmith, who had never heard of either, and did not know which was more rare, or expensive, was able to examine, and shoot both, what might his findings be?

Is there that big of a difference in how they shoot, and construction? How are AIM's PSL's?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my PSL.
Fun to shoot and fairly accurate.
Plus Fudds and Libs hate it more than the AR's
Cheap to shoot too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a real Dragunov (Tiger, Norinco) http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130972273 be prepared to spend around 3 grand to 4 grand for a nice one. A PSL/Romak 3 can be had for as low as 900 right now. Sometimes they pop up even less though
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a PSL that I purchased from AIM.  It's a lot of fun to shoot.  Just as accurate as my Springfield Armory M1A.  Plus they are unbelievably inexpensive, considering all you get for $600... rifle, mags, scope and mag pouch.

Don't let the Dragunov snobs dishearten you.  Dragunov owners ridicule the PSL, but you would too if you paid thousands of dollars for a Dragunov.  The Dargunov has collector's value because you can't import them anymore.  A PSL does not have collector's value because you can import them.  Outside of collector's value and a short-stroke action, the Dragunov doesn't really have anything on the PSL.  Dragunov owners will tout their accuracy, but the fact of the matter is that US marksmen almost universally ridicule the Dragunov's lack of sub MOA accuracy.

I highly recommend the PSL.  It looks cool, it shoots pretty accurately, it fires a fairly big bullet with relatively little recoil.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll put it this way. My safe has everything from a SCAR-L to a $4200.00 GAP rifle in it. Some of those guns make it to the range more than others depending on if they are work related or I just own them for the fun of it. My PSL ALWAYS makes the trip. Of all the weapons I have, my PSL is one of (if not the) funnest gun to shoot. I don't feel the pang of sending another $1.00 bullet down range everytime I shoot it and it groups damn near sub-moa at a hundred yards with cheap Bulgarian light ball. A range trip doesn't go by where I dont have at least one person come up to "ogle" the PSL and ask questions.

Through the years I have purchased many firearms that I regretted buying later. The PSL definately is not one of them. If you want a fun, heavy caliber, cheap to own, evil looking rifle with some damn fine accuracy to boot, you cant go wrong with a PSL.  

Good luck on your decision.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What he said!^^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
basically you'd be stupid NOT to get it

On top of what is already said about Dragunov's vs. PSL, PSL's are called "stretched out AK's" because they share some components with AK's.  Then there's spare parts, for a PSL they are easy to find and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for, vs. having to have a middle man to get spare parts out of Russia for your Dragunov.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
While I did not pay thousands for my Dragunov years ago when I picked up the chinese version chambered in 308. I love the gun. it is accurate for the type of firearm it is.

I would like to eventually get a PSL as a cheaper way to shoot the ammo I have. I originally thought I was going to get a Tiger so started getting ammo for it, then the deal on the Norinco Fell into my lap.......I believe you can use the red star trigger in the PSL.....I could be wrong, but thought that I heard you can. if so, that is a nice aftermarket upgrade for it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I did not pay thousands for my Dragunov years ago when I picked up the chinese version chambered in 308. I love the gun. it is accurate for the type of firearm it is.

I would like to eventually get a PSL as a cheaper way to shoot the ammo I have. I originally thought I was going to get a Tiger so started getting ammo for it, then the deal on the Norinco Fell into my lap.......I believe you can use the red star trigger in the PSL.....I could be wrong, but thought that I heard you can. if so, that is a nice aftermarket upgrade for it.

You can use the RSA.  I have it in mine.  The safety selector may need to be filed a bit and, if you get the retainer plate, you need to trim a little bit off the top/front corner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
For all the reasons mentioned the PSL is the way to go.  The spring loaded butt plate and muzzle brake make it very soft shooting for the caliber.  The scope is great in its simplicity and ease of use.  It's also my favorite shooter.

No doubt Dragunov's are better made, IMO have better ergonomics and also look the shit, but PSL's get the job done just the same.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've read on other forums threads with owners of both an SVD and a PSL getting the same accuracy, and if I recall in one, better than the dragunov. Sure, they are a damn cool rifle, but the price is assinine.
I love my PSL. Like someone else said, it is the only weapon that makes it to the range every single time. Good accuracy for what it is. DO NOT fool yourself into thinking that the Drag or PSL are sub moa guns; you'll just be disappointed. Accept it for what it is; the most kick ass, cheap shooting, moderately accurate, evil looking gun out there! Here is some gun pr0n for you, before I put my 8x scope on it

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I skilled shooter that knows his weapon, its capabilities, and the ammunition used will outshoot just about anyone with just a weapon and ammunition.  I've always believed it's mix of 1/3 skill, 1/3 rifle, and 1/3 ammunition.  Hard to generalize and say one will "outshoot" the other - that's kind of like saying one Formula 1 race car is better than another Formula 1 race car.  Depends on a lot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've read on other forums threads with owners of both an SVD and a PSL getting the same accuracy, and if I recall in one, better than the dragunov. Sure, they are a damn cool rifle, but the price is assinine.
I love my PSL. Like someone else said, it is the only weapon that makes it to the range every single time. Good accuracy for what it is. DO NOT fool yourself into thinking that the Drag or PSL are sub moa guns; you'll just be disappointed. Accept it for what it is; the most kick ass, cheap shooting, moderately accurate, evil looking gun out there! Here is some gun pr0n for you, before I put my 8x scope on it

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii190/Birddog4570/black002.jpg

Furniture man, furniture.......... where'd you get it??! I've looked around, but the one place I saw it was out of stock....

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Great gun for the money, as a few others have said, my PSL makes it out to the range everytime.  It is my favorite shooter thus far.  It also gets attention every time I go to the range, and the accuracy is more than enough.

Just warn the people to the right of you of the ejecting brass, that shit flies quite a ways lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my PSL, it's my favorite rifle in my meager collection.

I'd love to have a Dragunov but I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars for one. The only way I'd even consider paying that much for a rifle is if it came with a couple hotties to make sammiches, buy beer, and clean my guns!
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#15]
PSLs are available for as low as $730 right now.  J&GSales has them for $729 which include 2 mags and a scope.  Centerfiresystems.com has some for $799.99 with 1 mag.  You might be able to find them even cheaper on places like Gunbroker.  I purchased a kit with others in my build group from Centerfiresystems.com and the kits should be here next week.  The kits did not include a barrel pin or scope and only come with 1 mag.  So I have added to that 4 mags w/pouch and a Kalinka variable scope.  As far as how they compare to the Drags, they look similar and feel nearly the same.  If you were to have a gunsmith who does not know either evaluate them he/she may find a thing or two about the Drag a little more refined as the PSL/Romak is just an AK on steroids but ballistically nearly the same.  Another similar rifle is the Yugo M76 in 8mm (not to confuse you further).
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#16]
These are some of the best prices I've seen for the last several years, and the ones that I've personally seen have been in great shape.  I bought my second one about a month ago from AIM surplus (by far the best price––$712 shipped).  It came with 2 mags, pouch, cleaning kit, scope, rubber eye cap, and amber lens cover.  I too, would love to get a Dragunov in the future, but the PSL is one of my favorite guns I've ever owned.

GET ONE!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top