Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2017 12:11:33 AM EDT
Is there a comfortable AK magazine release available? I'd like a wider and slightly longer paddle with smoother edges than the typical stamped magazine release. Is such a thing available?

ETA: Google search turns up all kinds of extended magazine releases that would alter the manual of arms. I'm not looking for that big of a change.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The Galil mag release is nice, as is the current Polish release. The only readily available option for this Polish release is the WBP one, which is just a rough stamping and will require deburring from my experience.

Polish copy

Galil release
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Galil mag release is nice, as is the current Polish release. The only readily available option for this Polish release is the WBP one, which is just a rough stamping and will require deburring from my experience.

Polish copy

Galil release
View Quote
Either of those mag releases look nice, but you'd have remove and re-rivet the Polish one; unless you just removed the catch itself (like the Galil one). I've never removed the mag catch lever and spring from the housing on an AK, but I have read that it is a difficult task (to get it back in anyway).

I wouldn't want to provoke any members here, but I always liked the mag latch lever on the Century RAS AK. It looks longer and wider at the end than most. I've also seen some AK mag lever extensions installed is some photos I've seen, but have no idea where to buy them.

I know this is apples and oranges here, but I purchased an extended mag release for one of my SKSs from Midway USA, and installed it into the trigger assembly; it fit into the assembly OK, but would not slide back far enough to release the duck-bill mags. I sent it back for a refund, and made an extended release out of a piece of flat-bar steel using the original mag release. Worked like a charm.

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. These are the type I'm looking for. I will check out the RAS release. I will probably end up ordering the copy of the Polish one. I'll deburr and refinish it if I have to.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Either of those mag releases look nice, but you'd have remove and re-rivet the Polish one; unless you just removed the catch itself (like the Galil one). I've never removed the mag catch lever and spring from the housing on an AK, but I have read that it is a difficult task (to get it back in anyway).

I wouldn't want to provoke any members here, but I always liked the mag latch lever on the Century RAS AK. It looks longer and wider at the end than most. I've also seen some AK mag lever extensions installed is some photos I've seen, but have no idea where to buy them.

I know this is apples and oranges here, but I purchased an extended mag release for one of my SKSs from Midway USA, and installed it into the trigger assembly; it fit into the assembly OK, but would not slide back far enough to release the duck-bill mags. I sent it back for a refund, and made an extended release out of a piece of flat-bar steel using the original mag release. Worked like a charm.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/attachments/101_0756-jpg.1342391/?temp_hash=2217e0ba5f3cc4fc946c9edbd4e610fe
View Quote
I had that stock and those mags on mine when I sold it....I wish I had a few plain jane stock rifles with stripper clips again. Best way to run an SKS.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had that stock and those mags on mine when I sold it....I wish I had a few plain jane stock rifles with stripper clips again. Best way to run an SKS.
View Quote
Not to get too far OT here, but I've got 2 SKSs, (one a paratrooper 16" barrel), and have the Tapco tactical stock on both; I did the bolt mod on both to allow for drop-free duck-bill mag changes with the bolt closed. I happen to like the Tapco tactical stock and 20 round duck-bill mags on my SKS, and do think it is an upgrade. But I think most SKS fans/purest prefer the original wood stock, 10 round mag and stripper clips, and hate anything Tapco on an SKS. To each their own, I suppose.

Not to ramble on, but I have the SKS in the pic up for sale locally. A guy offered me $300 and I declined. I can sell the individual parts on eBay for more than that, minus the barreled receiver. I agree that it is probably best to leave the SKS bone stock. But where's the fun in that... :-) My SKSs have never had a jam or misfire with the 20 round Tapco mags.

Now back to AK mag release options; or is it best to leave it stock? :-)

This one is from Carolina Shooter's supply.

Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Of all the factory mag releases, the Valmet type (which was copied on the Galil), is the one I find the easiest to use as a right handed shooter.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top