BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Have any of you ever noticed how many companies actually sell short (under 16" OAL) barrels? Yes they are for pistols and short barreled rifles but any one can own one as long as they have the money. Furthermore, anyone will sell them to you. Yes, even Bushmaster will sell them to you. It's up to YOU to abide by the law, not the company who sold them to you.

That being said it is still perfectly legal to own any and all full auto parts even if you don't own a RR or RDIAS. You just can't own weapons they can fit in. A full auto bolt carrier isn't considered part of the fire control group on an AR15 or an M-16 for that matter. Will it make the gun full auto by itself? No, but neither will an M-16 hammer, selector, disconector or auto sear if you don't have a M16 bolt carrier. HOWEVER, the M16 hammer, selector, disconector and auto sear ARE the fire control group so if you own an AR15 they are illegal to own even if you don't own a M16 carrier. The M16 bolt carrier is NOT a part of the fire control group so it is legal to own. Because it is in the upper receiver (not a registered part) it can't be considered part of the FCG.

Think about it. The only registered part on an AR15 is the LOWER RECEIVER. The only registered part on a SBR is the LOWER RECEIVER. The only registered part on a regestered reciever or a DIAS is the LOWER RECEIVER. Are we starting to see a pattern here?

I wouldn't mind seeing a third position on a AR15 selestor being used for an ultra light "set" trigger.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have any of you ever noticed how many companies actually sell short (under 16" OAL) barrels? Yes they are for pistols and short barreled rifles but any one can own one as long as they have the money. Furthermore, anyone will sell them to you. Yes, even Bushmaster will sell them to you. It's up to YOU to abide by the law, not the company who sold them to you.

That being said it is still perfectly legal to own any and all full auto parts even if you don't own a RR or RDIAS. You just can't own weapons they can fit in. A full auto bolt carrier isn't considered part of the fire control group on an AR15 or an M-16 for that matter. Will it make the gun full auto by itself? No, but neither will an M-16 hammer, selector, disconector or auto sear if you don't have a M16 bolt carrier. HOWEVER, the M16 hammer, selector, disconector and auto sear ARE the fire control group so if you own an AR15 they are illegal to own even if you don't own a M16 carrier. The M16 bolt carrier is NOT a part of the fire control group so it is legal to own. Because it is in the upper receiver (not a registered part) it can't be considered part of the FCG.

Think about it. The only registered part on an AR15 is the LOWER RECEIVER. The only registered part on a SBR is the LOWER RECEIVER. The only registered part on a regestered reciever or a DIAS is the LOWER RECEIVER. Are we starting to see a pattern here?

I wouldn't mind seeing a third position on a AR15 selestor being used for an ultra light "set" trigger.

to be technical, with a RDIAS, the RDIAS is the registered part, you can put it in pretty much any lower..that's why its a DIAS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
all right anyone know who has the m16 selectors in stock that ant part of a kit and will ship? to non .gov

I got one that was grandfathered in my ARM pistol, but if you own an AR, you can't own this.

That's not technically true.

You are correct that if you own an AR, also owning sufficient full-auto parts to make it actually function in full-auto can be considered "constructive intent" by the ATF, and would be a serious felony.

However, having individual "full-auto" parts in an AR is not a crime in any way, as long as they do not actually result in full-auto capability.  A selector by itself - without the carrier, hammer, etc. - does not allow an AR to fire full-auto, and thus does not rise to the level of "constructive intent". This is why it is not a problem for AR manufacturers to sell ARs with full-auto carriers.  While it is a "full auto" part, it doesn't actually make your AR capable of full-auto fire, and thus is not illegal.

Same logic applies to any other individual full-auto part you might put into an AR.

Obviously, it would be kind of stupid to start putting full-auto fire-control parts into an AR for no good reason - even if they did not create a full-auto capability - because some ATF agent or over-zealous other law enforcement officer (who often do not understand the laws themselves) might freak out and crawl up your ass.

Personally, while I see no good reason to put a 3-pos selector in a semi-auto AR, I would not lose any sleep over the legality of it, if I put one in.

Yeah, the Gov is about as clear on this as they are most things VAGUE and AMBIGUOUS, the rule to follow is laid down - any single M16 part (trigger, disconnector, bolt assmbly, safety selector, and hammer) if u have any one of these parts in your gun - it is considered a machine gun even though it takes two pulls of the trigger to fire more than one shot.  NTM, it is not safe due to slam fire possibility.  There are guys in prison for owning one of these parts and an AR in close proximity.  

Is that why Colt puts full auto carriers in all their new-made rifles and has a letter from the ATF stating that this is no problem because it doesnt make the gun fire fully automatic?
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Keep it on topic please.

Sorry, but:

Quoted:
and agreed upon by the experts such as Bushmaster.

That is funny, on so many levels.  Might make that my SIG LINE.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And to think this whole thing started w/my response to the original question, in which I suggested the originator of the thread use an M16 selector w/the full auto shoulder  GROUND OFF; thereby making it a non M16 part.

And to take Bushmaster as the "experts"? These are the experts who list their .040 inch higher front sight blade as only for Colt flat tops w/their "higher sight unit", and the Customer service guy who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I informed him that Colt has used an .040 higher front blade (before the F base) on every carbine and SMG they ever made.

Yeah, that sig line even beats "turd"
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And to think this whole thing started w/my response to the original question, in which I suggested the originator of the thread use an M16 selector w/the full auto shoulder  GROUND OFF; thereby making it a non M16 part.

Well to be truthful It's kinda my falt as I asked but I had thought about the M16 selector but also thought I had seen someone talking before on arf about a non16 switch but I gess not.

But as to the LAW as I read it and the ATF letters I have read online at QB's web sight the ATF basically say no FA parts not as part of law but MAINLY to keep people from Making a FA by mistake by adding one part at a time not realising(or claiming) that they had crossed the threshold.

I Built my AR I know exactly what's in it and what's not when I put a m16(Ground off) switch in the only other FA part I'll ever buy is Maybe a BC group(and probly only as part of an upper). So if the ATF wants to have kittens over that THEY can kiss my @$$. I'm all ready broke I'm willing to be a test on some thing this stupid any day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top