Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2009 5:55:41 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a 14.5" barrel for my Colt 6920 to improve the looks. I want just a barrel, not a complete upper, and I am planning on using either an extended A2, KAC, or Surefire flash hider permanently attached. There are a couple of routes I am considering:

Of course I would like to stay all Colt, so I was looking around for a Colt 14.5" barrel, with no luck. Does anyone know where I could find one for a decent price?

I was also looking at CMMG since I had no luck finding any Colts. Are there any issues with these I should know about?

Are there any other barrel manufacturers that make high quality 14.5" M4 barrels?

Also, I've looked into the ADCO barrel chop and flash hider perm attach route, and am not interested in that since it doesn't keep a true M4 barrel profile. So please don't recommend this route.

Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sabre Defence offers one. I have one of their 16" M4 profile barrels and it is better than I am. I also have a 14.5" CMMG - it's a pencil barrel rather than and M4, but it is also a quality barrel with which I have no complaints. Availability for either Sabre or CMMG is unknown by me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I myself

would just buy a 14.5 LMT upper

You cant cut a 16.1 M4 to 14.5 M4 ??  didnt know this??

Back in 2001 I cut my old bushy to 14.7  didnt hurt accuracy at all. I was worried

BTW  the 14.5 LMT dontt park under FSB
but other than that every bit as good as colt
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sabre Defence offers one. I have one of their 16" M4 profile barrels and it is better than I am. I also have a 14.5" CMMG - it's a pencil barrel rather than and M4, but it is also a quality barrel with which I have no complaints. Availability for either Sabre or CMMG is unknown by me.

CMMG is SMART

If COLT WOULD MAKE A 6921 + Phantom  allmost Everyone would buy 1
Or a 14.7 M4

I wonder why??
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you going full-on SBR?  Gonna get a stamp so you can use the 14.5"?  Or are you going to perm-attach an extended flash-hider?

What do you mean by this statement:

Quoted:
Also, I've looked into the ADCO barrel chop and flash hider perm attach route, and am not interested in that since it doesn't keep a true M4 barrel profile. So please don't recommend this route.

If ADCO chops the barrel, threads the crown and perm-attaches an extended hider, the M4 profile (distinct M203 notch) will remain intact.  In fact, it will be CLOSER to a true 14.5" M4 barrel than the 16" you have now.  Please clarify.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you going full-on SBR?  Gonna get a stamp so you can use the 14.5"?  Or are you going to perm-attach an extended flash-hider?

What do you mean by this statement:

Quoted:

If ADCO chops the barrel, threads the crown and perm-attaches an extended hider, the M4 profile (distinct M203 notch) will remain intact.  In fact, it will be CLOSER to a true 14.5" M4 barrel than the 16" you have now.  Please clarify.

I will be perm attaching the flash hider. As to the M4 barrel profile, I was talking about the part of the barrel just before the muzzle where it has a stepdown to a narrower profile. However, I was incorrect in the statement I made about the barrel chop. I asked the ADCO guys in their section in the industry forum if they could redo the barrel stepdown on the chopped barrel, and they said they could for an extra $30. I've heard nothing but awesome things about ADCO and their work, so I'll probably go that route. By the way, when I asked for no suggestions of ADCO i didn't mean to sound harsh, I said that because in another thread I mentioned that I wanted to have a shorter barrel on my 6920 and all I got were suggestions of ADCO. Hope this clarifies things.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
What are the advantages to having a SOCOM barrel or a standard one?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are the advantages to having a SOCOM barrel or a standard one?

The heavier SOCOM barrel was developed for the full-auto M4A1 for obvious reasons. It's slower to heat up in auto but it's also slower to cool and can handle a more sustained ROF for longer periods. On the other hand, the gov't profile barrel is all you need for a semi-auto & the barrel is lighter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top