Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 9:30:10 PM EDT
I got into 3d printing a year ago and decided to do an AR lower a few months back. I've made one and fired it using a $300 PSA build kit and liked it quite a bit, but decided I wanted a slightly more unique look. I was given a whole bunch of 'laywoo-3d' filament, which contains real wood fiber in the plastic. The idea is, after you slice your part, you can make the temperature fluctuate to get the 'heat rings' which are actually burning the wood in the filament a bit. When it's printing, it smells just like the pine it's made from.

After printing I always treat my firearm parts with XTC-3D, a 2 part epoxy that 'self-levels' and fills in striations, also making the print considerably stronger, which is good because these laywood parts feel like compressed cardboard. You will likely not see a functional laywood lower because it's just not very strong, but once treated it seems pretty decent for furniture.

Please excuse the poly lower that's missing the trigger group, I just wanted to mock it up since I won't be able to fire it with the furniture on it until I make it out of the Seattle empire into the woods in the near future. I also want to redo the minimalist stock to match my SOPMOD style 3d printed stock.

Same AR with different 3d printed furniture and printed lower, this is the stock type I plan on re-printing in wood...

I have quite a bit of the laywood left, anything anybody wants to see in particular? I already have an AK furniture set partially printed and treated..
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah please post up the AK stuff when done.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Neato!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  http://i.imgur.com/lSbnYbs.jpg

Same AR with different 3d printed furniture and printed lower, this is the stock type I plan on re-printing in wood...

http://i.imgur.com/yBJ0euy.jpg?1

I have quite a bit of the laywood left, anything anybody wants to see in particular? I already have an AK furniture set partially printed and treated..
View Quote

Grandfather's axe?    That's very neat stuff.  I'm sure the retro folks would like to talk to you about printing some retro handguards they could paint green...

FYI, be careful mortaring your minimalist stock.  Buffer tubes can bend.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
This is intriguing  , I would love to know more about the equipment you you are using
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top