Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2014 8:50:17 PM EDT
I'm sure this exist but my google-foo isn't turning it up tonight...I'm looking for a side by side photo with measurements of A1 vs A2 20" barrels.

Essentially, I'd like to see the difference in a barrel contours of the Pencil Barrel and "Gov't A2" profile with actual measurements.  If you have the weight differences that would be great too.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nicely Done !!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That image does a good job of illustrating the contours, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for.

I was hoping to have something that would show what the dimensions are as the contour changes.

For example, it would show what the distance is from where the chamber contour ends to where the contour for the gas block starts and also tells you the diameter of the barrel in that section and so on.

I guess I'm looking for the specs to "blue print" a barrel with if we were to talk in machine shop terms.

Thanks
Wes

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Uh, I'd just go buy a couple.
View Quote

I am in the market for one for a retro build...where might I find them on your page with pricing?

That aside, I'm actually looking for the specs because I'm considering turning down a barrel I already have on the way that's 18" with a rifle gas system.  I'd like to know just how much further I can cut it down based on the military testing done when the A1 and A2 were accepted for production.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the slimmest part of the A1 profile barrel is .570 which is forward of the FSB(.625) and under the handgaurds but I've never measured it and am not home to measure one. Someone that knows the exact measurements will be along soon enough.

ETA: NDS sells Retro Receivers, not Barrels.... Do you want to buy New Replacement or Original?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
here's GM's specs, may not be true USGI ones.

A1

A2
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
doesn't get better than this (44Echo posted it a while back)

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/artweaker/prints/m16A1barrel.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a 20" barrel. Good deal.
Now..........if only we could see the engineering drawings for 16" and 11.5""xm and 10" 607/609/610's
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/artweaker/prints/m16A1barrel.jpg
View Quote

Thanks, I didn't have to dig that pic out.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top