User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Did you consider this forearm tube from Midwest Industries for the 0.875" gas block?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/ffonecatss.gif

I have one of these and I measured and calculated the actual radius to the inside of the square notch that forms the picatinny rail at  approximately 1.07" (or the equivalent of a 2.14" ID handguard.)  It would really be sweet because the large holes in the handguard should make switching gas positions easy.

The problem would be that I would have to install the gas block after I tightened the handguard in place. That might be rather difficult!

That MI hand guard ROCKS, but the holes are spaced such that you have to remove the material between two of them to access the on/off toggle - almost like MI planned it that way just kidding
Relatively easy to do with the Dremel... LOTS of room on the inside.
Comes (or is available) with rail sections - note that the screw used to hold these sections protrude quite a bit into the HG and could use some trimming
Installing the block with the HG in place is not too unreasonable, bottom holes do allow access to the set screws that hold the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Marty,

Where are you at with my upper. Last time we touched base the weather had hit you guys hard.
It was the put together job after I botched it myself

Craig
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Marty,

Where are you at with my upper. Last time we touched base the weather had hit you guys hard.
It was the put together job after I botched it myself

Craig

Hand guard fitted, block fits, modding the hand guard to take the block right now - those are some THICK walls.  Hope to have her assembled this weekend for testing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good Marty. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Altair

Can you give us and update/range report? Also, would you mind sharing some load data for this barrel length?

Thank you
jonblack
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I still haven't gotten it out past 50 yards but at that range it is printing groups of 1/2" so I'm satisfied thus far.  The field at my house is still muddy from melting snow on my longer range.  I still have less than 100 rounds through the gun total as I've had to spend alot of time tinkering and testing my partners' guns at work.  We just had our rifle quals and everyone wants to make changes or add do-dads (optics, rails, etc) before going through the qual course.  Since I'm the armorer they've kept me busy.

Load data is as follows.  As always, this works in my gun only so use with caution:

16gr 2400 behind a 110gr Sierra Varminter:
Avg Vel - 2070 fps

16gr 2400 behind a 110gr V-Max:
Avg Vel - 2085 fps

8.5gr 2400 behind a 240gr Sierra SMK (subsonic):
Avg Vel - 1055 fps

All loads using PMC .223 parent brass trimmed to 1.355" and Fed 205 primers.  All rounds cycle the gun well.  I use the restricted setting on the gas block for the supersonics and the wide open setting for the subs.  I've been using an unmodified 20 round Pmag so far but have only loaded it up to 10 rounds.  I think I will take the rib out of one when I try to load it to capacity as the bullet ogive touches the rib and prevents the rounds from stacking properly.  So far it hasn't caused any cycling issues but I suspect it will if I load the mag to capacity.

When shooting the subs suppressed the noise signature is alot lot dropping a large paperback book on the driveway.  It is audible, but definitely doesn't sound like a gunshot.  The sound of the 240gr bullet smacking the dirt backstop seems louder.   I don't need hearing protection.

ETA:  The only reason I haven't loaded using other powders is I don't have them yet.  I expect better supersonic velocities with W296 based on Sierra and Hornady load data and I'm told the il Gun will work great with the subs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
It does make locking the bolt open manually (as you would for a double feed clearance drill)

If the ASA side charge handle will clear it, you can add a Magpul BAD lever to assist in bolt operation.

http://store.magpul.com/product/96/100
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the informative update Altair. Please let us know when you try out Lil Gun powder.

Take care
jonblack
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Update:

I've shot the subs now out to 50 yards and it groups pretty well.  I get consistent 1/2" groups at 50 yards which roughly translates to 1 MOA.  I suspect it would tighten up a bit if I put a better trigger on it (mil-spec AR trigger right now).  I need to get another lower registered because the one I'm using is my SBR lower for patrol and I don't want a light trigger on that gun.  When I get the second lower set up specifically for the 300/221 I will put a better trigger in it and see.

Regardless, I'm satisfied with that level of accuracy, especially since the range with the subs is limited because of severe bullet drop at extended ranges.  I tried it once at 300 yards and getting the bullet up to the target required a rediculous hold over (not that it was surprising).  

I still don't have the other powders to test with.  Nobody around here has them or can get them quickly.  Anyone know where I could order Lil Gun, AA1680, and/or W296?  I'm looking for all three to test with the 300/221 and the AA1680 and W296 are also needed for my 7.62x40 build.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top