Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2006 6:36:12 AM EDT
Would $50 be too much to pay for a 3-9 x 42 scope? There's one on Ebay for $45. I don't have a scope at all yet and would like SOMETHING as long as it's not a complete waste of money, but I don't have much cash right now. Basically I wan't to know: Are there any better scopes to be had for around $50?

P.S. here's a link to the one I'm looking at...

NcStar scope
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Simmons from CDNN Investments

At least the ProDiamond models will hold zero.  I have personally seen two separate NcStars at the range that would not.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen a single NcStar optic that was worth a flying fornication.  Doesn't mean there aren't some out there, but you're gambling with your money.  

+1 on the Simmons, the best low priced scope I've seen.  I've got two of them, my shooting partner has two also, and they've all been surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know of any compact Simmons scopes or other compact scopes that will hold zero well (for a less expensive scope)?
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anyone know of any compact Simmons scopes or other compact scopes that will hold zero well (for a less expensive scope)?

What is your price range? I have a 1.5-5x32 ProDiamond on a .44 magnum carbine that has held up well so far (320 rounds).  I also have a 4x32 ProDiamond on a 12 gauge pump that is still going strong after 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess it would be around $50 or so.  I was hoping for something more compact than what Simmons offers.  I'd like the scope to be around 7-8 inches in total length.  Any suggestions?  NcStar seemed to fit the bill perfectly, but if it can't hold zero then I'd rather not.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 9-24x50 NcStar that I'll give you.  Just pay the actual shipping costs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The old Simmons model 7790D (4x32) was 8.5" in length and about 9 ozs.

List was $102.95.

Since this model has been replaced with the ProDiamond Master, model # 7793, you can find the old scope for under $85.00.

If you can find a Mart-Mart that still has these on the shelf, you can save even more $$.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Simmons Aetec that I used on a Browning 7mm mag that I was very happy with.  I upgraded that scope to a Leupold and will be putting the Simmons on my next AR.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Despite the many peope who bitch about them, I have had god luck with Leapers scopes.

I have not had such good luck with NC Star compact scopes and won't bother trying them anymore.
Link Posted: 7/22/2006 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
So I guess the resounding opinion on the compact rubber coated AR mount NCStar scope is no?

Is there any other decent plinker scope built for the carry handles?  I've used the Leapers TA whatever, and I had no problems with it, was just too big, made the gun to top heavy and set up to high above the carry handle.  I want something to plink with at the range that will hold a zero.

-mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2006 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
For a low cost low magnification scope two choices that have worked for me are the Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V3 Series for $150 and the Simmons 1.5-5x20 ProDiamond Master Shotgun Scope around $110 (I got mine on CDNN closeout for $50). AFAIK the older Simmons 1.5-5x20 has more field of view than the new replacement model or the 1.5-5x32. The Weaver is a smaller scope and has more FOV than any of the Simmons.

If you need more magnification, I’ve seen a Simmons 3-9x survive on a competition rifle for a couple of years before it gave up. It was not the optical portion that finally failed but the elevation dial. After thousands of times up and down the scale it finally locked up. Not bad for an inexpensive scope used hard.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
The local Dick's here has leupold 2-7 rifleman scopes for 159.00.I just bought one yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]
do all of these have mounts for the AR handle?
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Its really going to be a crap shoot to know if a cheap scope of any kind is going to hold zero and hold up.

For about $40 a 4x28 leapers carry handle scope can be had in a couple places like Galati, the glass isn't that great in that series of scopes of theirs but I haven't had any fall apart like others have and they are small.  I don't like the NC star compact variables, nor the BEC ones , cloudy glass or blurred edges, 1/2 moa adjustments and not all that cheap to start with.

It would be better if you volunteered to get one of these  and let us know if its worth a dang.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Its really going to be a crap shoot to know if a cheap scope of any kind is going to hold zero and hold up.

For about $40 a 4x28 leapers carry handle scope can be had in a couple places like Galati, the glass isn't that great in that series of scopes of theirs but I haven't had any fall apart like others have and they are small.  I don't like the NC star compact variables, nor the BEC ones , cloudy glass or blurred edges, 1/2 moa adjustments and not all that cheap to start with.

It would be better if you volunteered to get one of these  and let us know if its worth a dang.

I actually own this one, made by leapers

only problem is I couldn't get it to come up to the POI at 100 yards.  It was on the highest dial point upwards and the groupings were still a good 6 inches higher.  Is there some way I can disassemble the dial for elevation and fix that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#16]
For a little more you could get one of these.  Hakko mfgs them for Colt.

www.cdnninvestments.com/ar4xbdcscwha1.html
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For a little more you could get one of these.  Hakko mfgs them for Colt.

us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cdnn_1907_931558

www.cdnninvestments.com/ar4xbdcscwha1.html

+1.  I have one of these and the optics are actually pretty good.  CDNN has a darn good price on them, too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]

1.5-5x20 ProDiamond
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top