User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

his test doesnt seem unreasonable at all, especially for a brand that is supposed to be making bomb proof optics.
View Quote
Are all their LPVO lines bombproof, or just the VCOG?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it’s definitely a concern. I have a trunk gun that comes out every few weeks for a maintenance check. Even with a $300 Chinese optic on it with an 80 degree temperature change I’ve never had internal fogging even when the thing was sweating like Joe Biden at a Girl Scout meeting.

In OP’s other thread others are replicating his test and not getting internal fogging. I just wonder if it’s a Trijicon specification quality issue or a LOW Japan capability issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You bought an $800 scope expecting $3000 scope performance.

However,  this is what they say on their website:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/IMG_5375_jpeg-2946735.JPG

They may have different specifications for different price levels so the drone may be telling the truth.

However, If what you say is correct it sounds like false advertising…
View Quote

Not fogging up from being in a fridge isn't $3000 scope performance. That's a basic function of any rifle scope. I don't know wtf you're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not fogging up from being in a fridge isn't $3000 scope performance. That's a basic function of any rifle scope. I don't know wtf you're talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However,  this is what they say on their website:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/IMG_5375_jpeg-2946735.JPG

They may have different specifications for different price levels so the drone may be telling the truth.

However, If what you say is correct it sounds like false advertising…

If you read what I wrote your amateur test methods may not match up to their specifications.  

However,  they claim on their website fog proof and waterproof.  

A cheap scope is not going to have the same reliability as an expensive scope.  

Do you understand that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
So this is my final update on this.

I received my scope back today, was a total surprise. I am thinking perhaps Trijicon has blocked my email address, as I received zero confirmation that they had actually shipped my scope back to me and none of my follow-up "WTF?" emails were responded to. I noticed that the magnification ring that was previously sort of "coarse" feeling has improved, not perfect, but close to it. They said they did no work on it, but they did take it apart so maybe it's been assembled better or the gasket was lubed better this time around (if they are lubed). Secondly, I noticed that the sticky sounds from the diopter are far less pronounced.

The first test I did was a bucket dunk. Two minutes in a Lowes bucket, triple checking the water temperature was normal. Best way I'd describe the water temperature was "indoor pool". I ensured the bucket was clean of any potential chemicals. I didn't do anything besides put the scope in the bucket. No fogging occurred. The previous time I had done this, the scope fogged up, although I had been messing with it underwater. I'll maintain that this shouldn't have mattered with proper functioning seals, and that Trijicon stated themselves that there was no water intrusion, but why would a scope fog up from a test like that? Sure the water was cool, but it wasn't "cold".

The second test I did was the fridge test. 38f for 1.2 hours. I took the scope out and noticed that it was still fogging up, but that it was significantly improved. Like, most of the condensation I was seeing was on the lenses outside, and it cleared within a minute. Last time, the internal fogging lasted much longer and was much more pronounced. Maybe it was because they had to re-purge it?

The third and final test I did, and this was purely a bonus test, was operate the magnification dial while simulating very, very gentle and light rainfall with a watering can. The only adjustment I'd ever need to operate in wet conditions is the magnification ring. The scope also aced this test. I am happy that the scope is improved. I feel confident using it now.

I am not happy with Trijicon's explanations of things, but ultimately I am torn. On one hand, Trijicon was prompt, they obliged when I asked for further testing, and got my scope back to me fast - and ultimately my scope is in better condition now even though they didn't find any issues with it. On the other hand, the excuses they gave were horseshit. It's obvious that this optic needed a repurge. The fact that they denied anything being wrong with it, or the chance that something could be wrong with it was what got me. Things like "38 degrees is extreme conditions" or "all scopes fog up". Perhaps it's because Trijicon's not as tact with consumers compared to companies like Vortex. I probably shouldn't have nuked the bridge so bad with the only people who'll be able to service my scope if something happens to it, but I do feel that their communication and the things they said were horseshit. I am still dissatisfied with Trijicon's handling of this, but I could have handled it better myself as well. This concludes this, for now. Thanks for sticking with me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I received my scope back today, was a total surprise. I am thinking perhaps Trijicon has blocked my email address, as I received zero confirmation that they had actually shipped my scope back to me and none of my follow-up "WTF?" emails were responded to. I noticed that the magnification ring that was previously sort of "coarse" feeling has improved, not perfect, but close to it. They said they did no work on it, but they did take it apart so maybe it's been assembled better or the gasket was lubed better this time around (if they are lubed). Secondly, I noticed that the sticky sounds from the diopter are far less pronounced.

The first test I did was a bucket dunk. Two minutes in a Lowes bucket, triple checking the water temperature was normal. Best way I'd describe the water temperature was "indoor pool". I ensured the bucket was clean of any potential chemicals. I didn't do anything besides put the scope in the bucket. No fogging occurred. The previous time I had done this, the scope fogged up, although I had been messing with it underwater. I'll maintain that this shouldn't have mattered with proper functioning seals, and that Trijicon stated themselves that there was no water intrusion, but why would a scope fog up from a test like that? Sure the water was cool, but it wasn't "cold".

The second test I did was the fridge test. 38f for 1.2 hours. I took the scope out and noticed that it was still fogging up, but that it was significantly improved. Like, most of the condensation I was seeing was on the lenses outside, and it cleared within a minute. Last time it lasted much longer and was much more pronounced. Maybe it was because they had to re-purge it?

The third and final test I did, and this was purely a bonus test, was operate the magnification dial while simulating very, very gentle and light rainfall with a watering can. The only adjustment I'd ever need to operate in wet conditions is the magnification ring. The scope also aced this test. I am happy that the scope is improved. I feel confident using it now.

I am not happy with Trijicon's explanations of things, but ultimately I am torn. On one hand, Trijicon was prompt, they obliged when I asked for further testing, and got my scope back to me fast - and ultimately my scope is in better condition now even though they didn't find any issues with it. On the other hand, the excuses they gave were horseshit. It's obvious that this optic needed a repurge. The fact that they denied anything being wrong with it, or the chance that something could be wrong with it was what got me. Things like "38 degrees is extreme conditions" or "all scopes fog up". Perhaps it's because Trijicon's not as tact with consumers compared to companies like Vortex. I probably shouldn't have nuked the bridge so bad with the only people who'll be able to service my scope if something happens to it, but I do feel that their communication and the things they said were horseshit. I am still dissatisfied with Trijicon's handling of this, but I could have handled it better myself as well. This concludes this, for now. Thanks for sticking with me.

View Quote

it’s possible they purged it but it has a slow leak, maybe retest in a month.

better yet, sell it and buy something from a company that will stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you dodged a bullet, and still might see long term evidence (minor corrosion inside tube) from water intrusion on your "I'm a SEAL and always dial in under water" test.

I suggest you do not implement your plans for a drop test, out the window of your car at 65 mph.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And do what?
View Quote

Get arrested?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like Trij is now trash. I can get better performance and warranty support form chinesium.

That isn’t extreme or unreasonable and the people claiming that are fanbois.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like Trij is now trash. I can get better performance and warranty support form chinesium.

View Quote

You are better off with BSA
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Nevermind not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The second test I did was the fridge test. 38f for 1.2 hours. I took the scope out and noticed that it was still fogging up, but that it was significantly improved. Like, most of the condensation I was seeing was on the lenses outside, and it cleared within a minute. Last time it lasted much longer and was much more pronounced. Maybe it was because they had to re-purge it?

View Quote

Exterior fogging is based entirely on temperatures and atmospheric conditions. If it’s not seeing condensation on the inside now, I’d bet money they re-purged it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#14]
We test our cameras down to -50c *celsius*. If it's not nitrogen purge before hand what little oxygen is left will create moisture. They're bs-ing you and it's not completely sealed or there's a small leak somewhere. I'd make as much noise as possible until there's a resolution.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

better yet, sell it and buy something from a company that will stand behind their products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This…
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait, all of the fogging you're having is on the EXTERIOR?

You're shitting us. You're absolutely shitting us.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

He said multiple times that it was fogging internally. I’m guessing that was just a bad play on words for him wondering why it now fogs less externally too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

99% sure that OP is saying that the fogging NOW is mostly/entirely on the exterior, and before it was fogging internally. Hence the discussion of seals, purging, etc...

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exterior fogging is based entirely on temperatures and atmospheric conditions. If it’s not seeing condensation on the inside now, I’d bet money they re-purged it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh they had to, considering they had disassembled the optic. Whether or not it's a permanent fix, we'll see.

Quoted:

On this forum since 2009 still can't read huh
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So for no particular reason you decided to perform unrealistic testing and you are disappointed with the results then you complain to Trijicon?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So for no particular reason you decided to perform unrealistic testing and you are disappointed with the results then you complain to Trijicon?  

What is "unrealistic" about testing a scope to see if it actually is water and fog proof?  What difference does it make whether OP put the scope in the fridge or on his deck in January?  What is different about immersing the scope in a bucket of water relative to dropping his rifle in a creek?  I don't understand the question......

What does price have to do with it?  I have $300 scopes that have never fogged up internally, and that is in a real environment when going from -20 outside to +72 inside the shack.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He said multiple times that it was fogging internally. I’m guessing that was just a bad play on words for him wondering why it now fogs less externally too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the OP ever post pics or video of this?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/XD4qHZpkyUFfq/giphy.gif

Or screen shots of the conversation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I think OP is a fool
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Wasn’t there another thread on this type of scope?? Or same guy?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I swear y'all are braindead.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I swear y'all are braindead.
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a lot of people who hop in this thread, do zero reading of the previous page and instantly jump to wild conclusions. I don't bother explaining it to them because they have already shown they aren't able to comprehend what the issue is here, and come off as hostile.

Anyway, TL;DR, here's what happened:

* (a) I send in fogging scope.

* (b) Trijicon disassembles scope, sees no evidence of significant water intrusion, says scope is fine (at this point, it wasn't), but then obviously they reassemble scope (perhaps properly this time around) and repurge it, thus unknowingly repairing or at least significantly (if not temporarily) alleviating the problem. However, they wouldn't have known this and informed me nothing's wrong with the scope.

* (c) I demand a retest, and they retest it, and observe a "normal" (at least, by their standards) amount of fogging, however because they hadn't seen the behavior experienced before the repurge, they assumed the baseline they were seeing now was what I was complaining about, ultimately leading to a big miscommunication with them unknowingly asserting that the behavior ***I*** had seen was normal.

Ultimately a faulty scope, miscommunication and their refusal to admit something potentially could have been wrong with my unit lead to the outrage that happened. From my side I saw a company defending a scope that fogged up from the fridge where I keep my beer, and from their end they saw a customer who was complaining about what they saw was a functional optic.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What is "unrealistic" about testing a scope to see if it actually is water and fog proof?  What difference does it make whether OP put the scope in the fridge or on his deck in January?  What is different about immersing the scope in a bucket of water relative to dropping his rifle in a creek?  I don't understand the question......

What does price have to do with it?  I have $300 scopes that have never fogged up internally, and that is in a real environment when going from -20 outside to +72 inside the shack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#31]
It appears the OP of these my ‘trijicon is fogging’ threads also has another thread where he has issues with a gp100 (he posted a video on that thread). These are the only threads he’s posted or replied to recently fwiw.

Im beginning to think the op is either really unlucky.. or is someone who ‘tinkers’ with new stuff they buy and jacks them up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It appears the OP of these my ‘trijicon is fogging’ threads also has another thread where he has issues with a gp100 (he posted a video on that thread). These are the only threads he’s posted or replied to recently fwiw.

Im beginning to think the op is either really unlucky.. or is someone who ‘tinkers’ with new stuff them buy and jacks them up.
View Quote

what is there to tinker with on an LPVO?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Throwing it in the water intentionally or a refrigerator...
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do we know the op didn’t jack with the purge plug?

At any rate two thread posts on arfcom and both are issues with new products, both of which happen to be considered high quality products.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do we know the op didn’t jack with the purge plug? At any rate two thread posts on arfcom and both are issues with new products, both of which happen to be considered high quality products.
View Quote

The OP has had “problems” with three different uppers/barrels, “problems” with four different optics, “problems” with ammunition and shooting.  

“Hidaro” and “hotmoistandhunky” are the same person in the linked threads below . . .

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Faxon-Match-barrel-not-giving-me-acceptable-accuracy-Am-I-asking-too-much-/12-778547/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/should-i-send-barrel-back-to-faxon-or-return-to-opticsplanet-and-give-up-on-them.7159360/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/white-oak-barrels-vs-faxon-match-criterion.7150290/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/how-accurate-are-white-oak-armament-barrels-with-factory-ammo-like-m193-frontier-imi-etc.7158357/

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
You put it in a water bucket? LOL.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Would be interesting to see the comms with Trijicon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's not a good day when Molon calls you out......lol

View Quote

Molon's a loser who's obsessed with me for some unknown reason. He thinks because he contributes some quality data on here that he's entitled to always be right and shit on anyone who he feels is not as experienced as him. Ultimately in my past experience with him he was incorrect but refuses to accept it.

Unfortunately I can't reason with ARFCOM people because they're boomers who think that you should blindly test an optic and not actually ensure it's good to go. They think putting a Trijicon in a bucket of water is abusing it. Sorry, not sorry.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How do we know the op didn’t jack with the purge plug?

At any rate two thread posts on arfcom and both are issues with new products, both of which happen to be considered high quality products.
View Quote

Rugers are known for having high warranty rates. And why the fuck would I play with the purge plug? You're really going out of your way to suck Trijicock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Rugers are known for having high warranty rates. And why the fuck would I play with the purge plug?
View Quote

I mean, since we are playing the question game, why would you take a brand new optic and dunk it in a bucket of water and run the turrets?

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I mean, since we are playing the question game, why would you take a brand new optic and dunk it in a bucket of water and run the turrets!
View Quote

you can do this with a $100 chinese scope on amazon with no issues.

if nitrogen cant escape from the turrets, there is no way water is getting in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Man you people who are saying "why would anyone ever test their optic" are being silly.

As long as the OP is being honest and didn't misinterpret what happened to his optic, he should be mad. Trijicon's manual on the credo line explicitly says they have immersion tested their optics and that they are "Alaska to Africa" tested which they claim is a -20° to 140° shock test (the specifics of which are unclear). If all that is something they actually test for, then dunking a credo in water and putting it in a fridge should not cause any failure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man you people who are saying "why would anyone ever test their optic" are being silly.

As long as the OP is being honest and didn't misinterpret what happened to his optic, he should be mad. Trijicon's manual on the credo line explicitly says they have immersion tested their optics and that they are "Alaska to Africa" tested which they claim is a -20° to 140° shock test (the specifics of which are unclear). If all that is something they actually test for, then dunking a credo in water and putting it in a fridge should not cause any failure.
View Quote

ARFCOM

The fanbois unite.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I mean, since we are playing the question game, why would you take a brand new optic and dunk it in a bucket of water and run the turrets?

View Quote

And why wouldn't you?  If you want to see if it is waterproof, what better way?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF is a Molon and why should anyone GAS what it says?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Molon's a loser who's obsessed with me for some unknown reason. He thinks because he contributes some quality data on here that he's entitled to always be right and shit on anyone who he feels is not as experienced as him. Ultimately in my past experience with him he was incorrect but refuses to accept it.

Unfortunately I can't reason with ARFCOM people because they're boomers who think that you should blindly test an optic and not actually ensure it's good to go. They think putting a Trijicon in a bucket of water is abusing it. Sorry, not sorry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completly out of line.  This is tech not gd.  Molon has contrbuted tons of info to this sight. Mods need to do something with this guy. Enough with the trolling bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Completly out of line.  This is tech not gd.  Molon has contrbuted tons of info to this sight. Mods need to do something with this guy. Enough with the trolling bullshit.
View Quote

seems weird he would stalk OPs accounts across multiple websites just to insinuate hes a liar
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, you're right someone needs to do something about this Molon guy that pops into literally every thread I make showing people all my accounts and posts from various sites. He's continually quoting a nearly year old post where I was having trouble with my groupings, he claimed it was my expectations (partially was) but then when it turned out the Faxon barrel was actually faulty, he had little to say about it.

I appreciate the painstaking posts and information he gives to the community, but that doesn't make him any better than anyone else and he needs to leave me the hell alone and go do something better with his life. He's the one coming into my threads and insinuating that I'm a liar. I'll always clap back. If he wants to approach me in a more personable manner, I'd be happy to have a conversation with him.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Regardless, this is all getting wildly off-track. Anyone coming into the threads should know that the scope is now working properly after Trijicon inadvertently fixed it, and that the blow up that happened online was the result of poor communication and procedure on both sides (mostly theirs).

Consider this resolved, and know that I was very unlucky to get a lemon and from the many people I've talked to who own Credos, their scopes are behaving properly. Don't shit on Trijicon too hard, but they still fucked up.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top