Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:25:34 AM EDT
I have a Nightforce sniper scope and this does not match with it.  Anyone know what reticle this is?  I couldn't find it among the NF reticles.
" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Have not seen the movie, but remember it is a movie the likely hood of them getting this right is not likely.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
the smart guy above me nailed it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Tasco Scope mounted on a J.C. Higgins 30.06  with the same reticle 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The movies always fuck up reticles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a reticle exclusive to Warner Brothers scopes, the WB SNAFU-1.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw the movie last night.
I was legit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was legit.
View Quote

Legit is an understatement.

It was nice to see a wide array of weapons in the film. (SR25, M40A5?, and the MK12)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do believe you are correct SIR
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Must get same reticle to be ultimate sniper!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Nightforce sniper scope and this does not match with it.  Anyone know what reticle this is?  I couldn't find it among the NF reticles.
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o738/surefire44/AmericanSniperReticle_zpsdc0c1949.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

You do realize that they don't film these scenes through a scope, right?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o738/surefire44/AmericanSniperReticle_zpsdc0c1949.jpg</a>" />

Came here to post this.  

I need to drag momma to the movies, I want to see this flick
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#13]
i agree to all of the above, BUT...
this movie tried hard to remain authentic. (look at the duct tape and krylon paint on Kyles' rifle.)

a local OKC Manufacturer (Two Rivers Arms) was contracted to build the AK's in the movie.(okay, probably not ALL, but probably the ones firing)
among TRA's claim to fame is faithful renditions of Iraqui Tabruks. (that's where the 2 in TRA's comes from, the Tigris and Euphrates)

and the AK's built were NOT "movie" guns, they were fully functional select fire weapons, it was up the movie's armorer to "safe" them up.

former Okla. State Senator, and newly elected U.S.Representative from Okla. Lt. Col. (ret.) Steve Russel is the owner of Two River Arms.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
At least they are USING a reticle. So many time in movies and TV, you see a guy looking though a scope without one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I realize this idea might be far fetched and the above comments are probably correct, but if they actually did want to get the reticle correct and inquired about it is there a chance the military for some reason doesn't want it known what reticles they're using for these guys? Not sure what it would effect if anyone did know but you'd think with Clint Eastwood directing a movie and his sniping being a large component of it that this question would've been asked by the technical staff or producers. Just a thought...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I realize this idea might be far fetched and the above comments are probably correct, but if they actually did want to get the reticle correct and inquired about it is there a chance the military for some reason doesn't want it known what reticles they're using for these guys? Not sure what it would effect if anyone did know but you'd think with Clint Eastwood directing a movie and his sniping being a large component of it that this question would've been asked by the technical staff or producers. Just a thought...
View Quote

Pretty sure that we do know what reticles they use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a good thought, but that info is already out. I think it's more likely they shot this with a camera and some sort of "scope" filter or effect was used
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Have not seen the movie, but remember it is a movie the likely hood of them getting this right is not likely.
View Quote

Yeah, my guess the real thing was mil dot or horus
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I love Chris Kyle and his story.  The movie missed a grand opportunity to tell his story and the story of the war correctly.  The movie had a ton of problems with the scope reticles being a small part of that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It was nice to see a wide array of weapons in the film. (SR25, M40A5?, and the MK12)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was legit.

Technically:

MK13 mod 1, MK12 mod 1, McBros Tac-300 or Tac-338, Mk11, M24, and M40A3

The correct scope on the MK13 would be the Nightforce 5.5-22x56. It seems as they tried to mimic the MIL-R reticle.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love Chris Kyle and his story.  The movie missed a grand opportunity to tell his story and the story of the war correctly.  The movie had a ton of problems with the scope reticles being a small part of that.
View Quote

I think it did an incredible job of telling his story. Everything was done respectfully, and I've heard through some friends that Cooper nailed Kyle's personality (never met Kyle myself).
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't seen from the movie yet but it looks to me (from the trailers) as though they condensed significant parts of the book into single scenes to keep the movie moving or indeed created new scenes to develop the story over what was say a chapter in the book. Hopefully they didn't do this too much. I've seen a lot of mixed things about it but i will still go and check it out for myself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#23]
The picture looks "like" my Nightforce NP-R2. Without a larger view it's hard to tell.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a review of the movie on SnipersHide. They say that it was very accurate....except for the reticles. They repeatedly mention that they were incorrect. Just FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And trying to film a scene through that reticle probably would not look as good as a less dynamic reticle.

For a movie its the target that takes precedence in such scenes If truth is the first casualty of war then reality is the first casualty of Hollywood
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the book.  Chris discusses weapon systems and scopes for various missions.  I don't recall reticles, but you can narrow the field from the date and the magnification range he describes.  I'm not certain, but I believe all long range scopes he mentions are NF, either topping out at 25x or 32x.

I have not seen what Hollywood has done to his book.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Get the book.  Chris discusses weapon systems and scopes for various missions.  I don't recall reticles, but you can narrow the field from the date and the magnification range he describes.  I'm not certain, but I believe all long range scopes he mentions are NF, either topping out at 25x or 32x.

I have not seen what Hollywood has done to his book.
View Quote

22x
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Not all military uses Nightforce some use US Optics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:11:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Okay
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The movies always fuck up reticles.
View Quote

Yep.

These were some of the better ones, IMHO.

Even the Russian one wasn't too far off base.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

haha!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haven't heard of any use of US Optics.  I do know a former Marine scout sniper who used a S&B
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Haven't heard of any use of US Optics.  I do know a former Marine scout sniper who used a S&B
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only US Optics that I know of, were the re-worked Unertl 10x scopes. There might have been a few USO MST-100 scopes issued, but the majority of them were Unertl that were re-worked by USO when Unertl went out of business. I think USO bought design for the USMC 10x or something like that.

Shortly after Unertl left the business, the Marines switched to Schmidt and Bender (circa 2004-5ish?). The Marines also issued Premier Reticles on the Mk11 Mod 1 and M110, but Premier Reticles went under too kind of. It's now a Canadian company called Tangent Theta, and their scopes are very

pricy.

Marines were never issued a Nighforce Scope, Although a Nighforce scope came with the XM-3 rifles. However, the XM-3 was more experimental and was not built by Marine armorers. The Nighforce was more or less a "package" deal with the XM-3.

The XM-3 with an S&B was the tits though. A Nightforce also game with the Mk13 package from Crane - also not built by Marines. More or less a SOCOM package for Army and the Navy (including Marines).

As for the Navy, all I have seen were Leupold, Nighforce, and S&B

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#35]
In his book Chris Kyle states that he used 32X Night Force scopes on his rifles.

I can't believe it but Eastwood literally made up facts and scenes in the movie.

One of the big stories in the movie concerns the Iraqi Olympic sniper. Chris makes
that long shot and gets him. BS, never happened.

Chris states in the book that he heard the rumor about that sniper but never saw him!
Embellishing a little for the movie is understandable but making up a kill that never happened
into a climax shot ruins it for me. Shame on you Clint.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In his book Chris Kyle states that he used 32X Night Force scopes on his rifles.

I can't believe it but Eastwood literally made up facts and scenes in the movie.

One of the big stories in the movie concerns the Iraqi Olympic sniper. Chris makes

Chris states in the book that he heard the rumor about that sniper but never saw him!
Embellishing a little for the movie is understandable but making up a kill that never happened
View Quote

You're surprised by Hollywood doing this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Also in the book, the Mk12 has a 16" barrel...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I'm surprised Eastwood did it. This movie was not a fantasy and was supposed to be taken from Chris's book.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe his MK12 was actually a RECCE/ SEAL Recon Rifle which does have a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Maybe his MK12 was actually a RECCE/ SEAL Recon Rifle which does have a 16" barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope  

I'm confused on what you are getting at. Are you questioning his truthfulness?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#42]
The book has inaccuracies
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you love the man and his story then you obviously dont know anything about the man and his story (or stories)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Making up kills that never happened? Say it aint so.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#45]
The correct reticle for the Nightforce on the Mk13 is their standard Mildot with the circle dots. At least that's what reticle was in the scope that was attached to the Mk13 I got to try out in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Never mind.  It's not worth arguing with people that aren't properly educated on the story.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No. I'm surprised Eastwood did it. This movie was not a fantasy and was supposed to be taken from Chris's book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing you thought Lone Survivor was accurate too?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I was impressed by how accurate the movie was with respect to the weapons being used. I really liked Kyle's MK18 M0 with KAC suppressor..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. I'll be starting the Lone Survivor book in a couple days so I will see.
One thing I doubt is the ability to tumble down a cliff with jagged rocks, twice, get up and go with a
scoped rifle that is still accurate and no broken bones or crushed skulls.
The falls depicted in the movie would maim or kill 50% of them. They wouldn't even be able to walk.

I will say the movie made me sick. If it was accurate I would posthumously court marshal the team leader
who made the decision to let the 3 towel heads go. In the end that PC gesture killed about 25 Seals and air crew members.
They worried that they would be prosecuted when they got back, great decision. Now they are dead.

I think some people don't understand the difference between fiction and an autobiography.
Making this movie as Chris Kyle told it would honor him even more. IMO blatantly inventing major points in the movie do not.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm guessing NeverMiss556 has never served.

Honestly, I'd rather be carried by 6, than tried by 12.

Not only I, but every ground pounder I've been around has the same thought.

You just don't understand combat and the fog of war.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top