Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know about what one weighs?

The type D stock on my 6.5 lb 603ish rifle weighs 10.489 ozs. on calibrated and calibration weight checked digital scales.  Pulled it and weighed it for you.  That was with swivel attached less screw.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine weighs 7 lbs. 7.3ozs. with the sling and empty 20-round magazine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to my scales, an empty 20-round GI magazine weighs 2.8 ounces, and an M1 sling (the nylon "seatbelt" version) weighs 4.7 ounces. Subtract 7.5 oz. from the weight of your gun, and you have 6 lbs., 15.8 oz. Your rifle is 1 oz. lighter than the new weight of my rifle (7 lbs., 0.8 oz.)

How much of your rifle is GI?
Quoted:

The type D stock on my 6.5 lb 603ish rifle weighs 10.489 ozs. on calibrated and calibration weight checked digital scales.  Pulled it and weighed it for you.  That was with swivel attached less screw.

Thanks for weighing it. So it's about 4.8 oz. lighter than my 15.3 oz. type E stock. That's a big difference. If I had that stock my rifle would only weigh 6¾ lbs.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Edgewater buffers weigh less.  I think someone already mentioned specifications from older models may have been used in the newer manual.  I know a rifle with an edgewater buffer is noticeably lighter, does anyone know the weight of each one?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Edgewater buffers weigh less.  I think someone already mentioned specifications from older models may have been used in the newer manual.  I know a rifle with an edgewater buffer is noticeably lighter, does anyone know the weight of each one?
View Quote

According to this page, the Edgewater buffer is 56.5 grams (1.99 oz.) and the M16A1 buffer is 146.1 grams (5.15 oz). So a type D stock combined with an Edgewater buffer would drop about ½ lb. off the weight of the rifle.

I believe that the last rifle that would have had such a combination was the early 603 (XM16E1), and was probably the last version of the M16 to weigh about 6½ lbs. The 601, 602, and early 604 would have likely weighed less than 6½ lbs., maybe even the 6.35 lbs. (6 lbs., 5.6 oz) that's stated in the Army marksmanship manual, due to their pre type E buttstocks, Edgewater buffers, and lack of forward-assist.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

According to my scales, an empty 20-round GI magazine weighs 2.8 ounces, and an M1 sling (the nylon "seatbelt" version) weighs 4.7 ounces. Subtract 7.5 oz. from the weight of your gun, and you have 6 lbs., 15.8 oz. Your rifle is 1 oz. lighter than the new weight of my rifle (7 lbs., 0.8 oz.)

Thanks for weighing it. So it's about 4.8 oz. lighter than my 15.3 oz. type E stock. That's a big difference. If I had that stock my rifle would only weigh 6¾ lbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only things that are not original USGI M16A1 parts are the lower, hammer, trigger, and disconnector.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
We can always ask someone with a colt m16a1 in factory form to help us out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone has a serious case of the OCD's
View Quote

Most of us here do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wanting to learn more about these rifles is "OCD"? For a long time I've heard/read that M16s started out as a ~6 lb. rifle, and I never knew how that could be. You can't realistically take all that weight off the already-thin GI M16/M16A1 barrel. I didn't know until this thread that the older style buttstocks and buffers were so much lighter. That combination alone is worth about a half-pound, and with another couple ounces saved by not having a forward-assist, 6.35 lbs. becomes believable. I don't know if they were ever 6.0 lbs.; maybe the ArmaLite prototypes were.

Ironically, with all that high-tech plastic and aluminum, even at their lightest purported weight (6.0 lbs.), they were still a half-pound heavier than the all-steel and walnut M1/M2 Carbine. Of course, even though plastic is often thought of as being "light", most of the durable types of plastic are a lot heavier by volume than walnut. American Black Walnut has a density of 0.63 g/cm³. Compare that to something like Delrin plastic, which is over twice as dense (1.41 g/cm³). The same goes for Bakelite (1.36 g/cm³). Even the lighter of the durable plastics, such as ABS, usually have a density of over 1.0 g/cm³. Most species of wood have a density of less than 1, which is why most of them float in water.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My Brownells LW 20 in barrel was almost 4 oz lighter than a Colt.  Taper is different and barrel is 0.600 under HG's.

I used to participate with a group where the whole concept was to build the lightest surplus parts KISS rifles for the least expense and don't ever remember anyone building under 6.0 lbs using aluminum receivers.  Think 6.08 or such was the lightest.  Lot of surplus around for cheap back then.  Most builds were in $400-425 range.

With composite or polymer receiver 5.5-5.6 lbs was very doable but 5.7-5.8 more the norm.  Cav Arms was about the only player back then.  Think the best I did was around 6.2 lbs weighing and using the lightest components I had.  Weren't any Brownells barrels back then.  Think that was good for 6 or 7th lightest overall at best.

Most the savings were in the furniture and lower components.  About 8 different subs for furniture and some were lighter than others.  Can generally see the differences when comparing two different sub contract pieces side by side, especially HG's. Scales will definitely show it.  Whacking bayo lugs and swivels weren't uncommon.  Had to keep iron sights fully functional.  Only a few rules.  Light and cheap were the major two.

Carbines fairly easy to get under 6 lbs but rifle not so.  Never really looked at it as OCD just some good ole boys having a little fun trying not to break the bank doing so.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know if they were ever 6.0 lbs.; maybe the ArmaLite prototypes were.
View Quote

People have gone lighter than that in the past - see the archives for Project Uberlight:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/446390_Project__berlight__sub_4lb_SBR__sub_5lb_suppressed_.html

That can involve skeletonizing parts (including lower and upper), shortening and narrowing the barrel profile, and skeleton stocks.  Probably been some stuff done out there with carbon fiber steel-lined barrels, as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
There might be less material in a cast FSB, duck bill should weigh less, maybe the bakelite furniture weighs a little less too.  Skinny grip will have less material too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Brownells LW 20 in barrel was almost 4 oz lighter than a Colt.  Taper is different and barrel is 0.600 under HG's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So it is just 0.6" for that whole thin section under the handguards? Mine tapers from 0.67" to 0.6" along that section, and I assume a Colt/USGI barrel does too.

I've been wondering about those Brownell's barrels: what is the finish like? Is it phosphated (parkerized) or black oxide? If it's phosphated like it should be, how close of a match is it to the finish on a Colt/USGI barrel? Brownell's just says it is "black". If it's truly black then it would look all kinds of wrong on a USGI build. It should be dark gray. Whoever parkerized my Citadel barrel did a great job matching the color of a USGI barrel, though it is a bit blotchy/cloudy in the area of the barrel under the handguards. Fortunately, the finish on the visible part of the barrel is good and solid/even. It is a dead-on match for the original parkerizing on the USGI flash hider.

Quoted:
Quoted:

People have gone lighter than that in the past - see the archives for Project Uberlight:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/446390_Project__berlight__sub_4lb_SBR__sub_5lb_suppressed_.html

That can involve skeletonizing parts (including lower and upper), shortening and narrowing the barrel profile, and skeleton stocks.  Probably been some stuff done out there with carbon fiber steel-lined barrels, as well.

Yeah, I've seen them under 4 lbs. before; I read this article about a 3½-lb. one about a month ago, but ones like that are a far cry from any M16 that was ever USGI.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The manuals are notorious for the weights not being accurate/correct.

Don't overthink a ham sandwich as they say.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How's the weather out there this morning, in deep, deep left field?

This is a technical question, i.e., what accounts for the weight difference between my rifle and an M16A1? If my rifle were 12.1 oz. lighter than an M16A1, the thread title would be: Why is my rifle so light?

Then I suppose your reply would be: "If it's too light for you, I'm sure your girl could carry it for you", which would be an equally asinine reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's too heavy for you, I'm sure your girl could carry it for you

How's the weather out there this morning, in deep, deep left field?

This is a technical question, i.e., what accounts for the weight difference between my rifle and an M16A1? If my rifle were 12.1 oz. lighter than an M16A1, the thread title would be: Why is my rifle so light?

Then I suppose your reply would be: "If it's too light for you, I'm sure your girl could carry it for you", which would be an equally asinine reply.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I did a write up on the Brownells 20 inch in comparison to a low mile Colt last June or July 2015.  Markings are under HG's. Finish was as good as any.  Barrel is light for a 20" and doesn't like too much heat same as Colt LW or most any LW for that matter just a little more finicky if really throwing lead.   Shouldn't be too long and Brownells sub contractor will have LW production ramped up.  Last word I had was new barrels will shoot a little better too.

Brownells
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wanting to learn more about these rifles is "OCD"? For a long time I've heard/read that M16s started out as a ~6 lb. rifle, and I never knew how that could be. You can't realistically take all that weight off the already-thin GI M16/M16A1 barrel. I didn't know until this thread that the older style buttstocks and buffers were so much lighter. That combination alone is worth about a half-pound, and with another couple ounces saved by not having a forward-assist, 6.35 lbs. becomes believable. I don't know if they were ever 6.0 lbs.; maybe the ArmaLite prototypes were.

Ironically, with all that high-tech plastic and aluminum, even at their lightest purported weight (6.0 lbs.), they were still a half-pound heavier than the all-steel and walnut M1/M2 Carbine. Of course, even though plastic is often thought of as being "light", most of the durable types of plastic are a lot heavier by volume than walnut. American Black Walnut has a density of 0.63 g/cm³. Compare that to something like Delrin plastic, which is over twice as dense (1.41 g/cm³). The same goes for Bakelite (1.36 g/cm³). Even the lighter of the durable plastics, such as ABS, usually have a density of over 1.0 g/cm³. Most species of wood have a density of less than 1, which is why most of them float in water.
View Quote

You'd probably get more people to help if you didn't go out of your way to nitpick every post that doesn't involve people dropping what they were doing to go open a safe and weigh a rifle or bringing up perfectly good counterpoints that maybe-just maybe-not every single part is USGI.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did a write up on the Brownells 20 inch in comparison to a low mile Colt last June or July 2015.  Markings are under HG's. Finish was as good as any.  Barrel is light for a 20" and doesn't like too much heat same as Colt LW or most any LW for that matter just a little more finicky if really throwing lead.   Shouldn't be too long and Brownells sub contractor will have LW production ramped up.  Last word I had was new barrels will shoot a little better too.

Brownells
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Brownells

Thanks for the link; very informative review.
Quoted:
You'd probably get more people to help

The solution has been found thanks to people who already helped, i.e., the ~7 lb. weight of my rifle is normal, and earlier versions of the M16 series would have weighed less by at least a half-pound due to the lighter buttstock, buffer, and in some cases, lack of forward-assist.
if you didn't go out of your way to nitpick every post that doesn't involve people dropping what they were doing to go open a safe and weigh a rifle

This is a non sequitur, given that no such thing happened.
or bringing up perfectly good counterpoints that maybe-just maybe-not every single part is USGI.

It isn't a "perfectly good counterpoint" if it's wrong. I already know which parts are and which parts aren't USGI on my rifle, and I pointed out which parts are USGI early in the thread.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Carbines fairly easy to get under 6 lbs but rifle not so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Carbines fairly easy to get under 6 lbs but rifle not so.

Quoted:

ArmaLite's original AR-15s were 5.32 lbs unloaded.

They made a 20 inch rifle, less than 6 lbs, using aluminum, steel, and fiberglass, nearly 60 years ago.

I bet if you chopped one of those prototypes into a carbine, it would be darn near 4 lbs. I find it funny that we need to use polymers or skeletonized parts these days to achieve that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to know how they did that. If you start with the final version of the M16A1, which weighs about 7 pounds, swap to an older style buttstock and Edgewater buffer, and delete the forward assist and fence (which leaves you with a 601 or 602 configuration), you are likely down to the 6.35 lbs. as stated in the Army Marksmanship manual. You can take some steel off the barrel to get to 6.0 lbs., but I don't know if you could get a full pound off of it while retaining sufficient wall thickness.  

According to the Springfield Armory Museum, serial number 000008 weighs "approximately 6 lbs."

In the ArmaLite Wikipedia article it says 5.5 lbs., and cites ...

Hahn, Nick, The 'Other' Autoloaders, Gun Digest 2011, 65th ed., F+W Media (2010), p. 69

... as the source. Do you remember where you read the 5.32 lb. figure?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a retro M16A1 rifle with the 20 inch pencil barrel. It's all Colt ( factory M16A1 upper assy.) with rest of parts from a Colt M16A1 kit, and FCG is from a Colt 6920). With the sling and a full 20 round Colt magazine, it
weighs in at 7 1/4 pounds. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a retro M16A1 rifle with the 20 inch pencil barrel. It's all Colt ( factory M16A1 upper assy.) with rest of parts from a Colt M16A1 kit, and FCG is from a Colt 6920). With the sling and a full 20 round Colt magazine, it
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's incredibly light. A 20-round GI magazine fully loaded with M193 weighs 11.1 oz. on my scales. You didn't say what type of sling you have, but a later black Colt nylon sling weighs 2.5 oz. and an M1 "seatbelt sling" weighs 4.7 oz. If you have an M1 sling, that would mean your rifle weighs 6 lbs., 4.2 oz. by itself, or 6 lbs., 6.7 oz. by itself if you have the black Colt sling.

What kind of buttstock and buffer do you have?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems about right.  My 604 has a type D, and it has no Forward Assist, so there are a few less ounces there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You'd probably get more people to help if you didn't go out of your way to nitpick every post that doesn't involve people dropping what they were doing to go open a safe and weigh a rifle or bringing up perfectly good counterpoints that maybe-just maybe-not every single part is USGI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn,we aint seen you in a coons age.

Hope you been well my man
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd like to know how they did that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know how they did that.

All of the additions add up quickly. The originals used very thin fiberglass furniture reinforced with foam for strength. The barrels had no muzzle device, they were fluted, and the 6 inches toward the muzzle was ridiculously thin. The front sight base was smaller, and there was no slip ring assembly. The buffer was different and likely weighed a few oz. less. The lower receivers lacked reinforcement that was added to the 601 so, maybe another oz. saved there. Then you have the upper that was milled out at the top for the trigger charging handle, maybe another oz.

When they started adding T handles, and slip rings, and bayonet lugs, and whatever else to make the army happy, the weight went up.  

... as the source. Do you remember where you read the 5.32 lb. figure?

"United States Army Infantry Board Fort Benning, Georgia Report of Project. Project 2787, Evaluation of Small Caliber High Velocity Rifles - Armalite AR-15. 27 May 1958."

The report lists the rifles tested as 0012, 0013, 0016, and 0017.

I also have a second document, "A Test of Rifle, Caliber .22, AR-15; Rifle, Caliber .224 Lightweight Military; and Pertinent Ammunition. US Army Ordnance Development and Proof Services. Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. 19 December 1958."0

It  lists rifles 0010 and 0014 at 5.24 lbs emtpy and 6.03 lbs with a loaded 25 rd magazine.

All of the rifles tested would have been as originally built with no modifications.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the information; very interesting. So even the lightest prototypes only managed to match the weight of the all-steel and walnut M1 Carbine from the early '40s. I wonder if the military ever considered just reworking the M2 Carbine design to be chambered for the 5.56/.223 cartridge. It would have been tantamount to a Mini-14 (AC-556 specifically), beating Bill Ruger to the punch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you weigh it with out the sling and mag?

Finestkind
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/M16A1s/001_zpsu5szhboj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/M16A1s/001_zpsu5szhboj.jpg</a>

According to my notes on the M16A1 from boot camp (1978), the rifle alone is 6.5 lbs. and fully loaded (30-round magazine) and sling, it weighs 7.6 lbs. Maybe the military did not have very accurate scales back then.
View Quote

Mine is in this range. All colt parts, cotton sling, CMPC barrel, empty
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top