BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2017 6:41:42 PM EDT
Got my Wolf A1 in today.  Looks very well made.  Upper had kind of a rough finish, and the dust cover is a pita to close.  Pretty simple field stripping, the handguard is very tight and I have to use a punch to remove the pin, which isn't a bad thing.  Looking at the barrel and gas block, the gas block must be pressed on, I didn't try to hard to remove it, but the pin is a taper pin and only comes out one way.  The gas port in the barrel is drilled like an AK, roughly at a 45* angle and measures .073" (#49 drill bit).  I cut the barrel to 11.5" and will have to drill out the gas port to .095+ (guess).  I did a function check and it obviously didn't cycle.  When it gets back from having the barrel threaded at class 3 machining im goin to open the gas port up and work with buffer/spring weights.  Here is a few pics of the progress so far, be next week by the time I get the upper back.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I Like It
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
16 inch meh

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This project is cool.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Sexy
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You need this (80%) lower to round it out

I'll most likely cut mine to ~14.5.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go that route of they had the T91 gas block and rear sight. But I think it looks good on my SBR lower.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like there is a groove on the bolt where the gas rings would be. Maybe to allow airflow? anyone elses have this?

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like there is a groove on the bolt where the gas rings would be. Maybe to allow airflow? anyone elses have this?

http://i.imgur.com/llEtYh1.jpg
View Quote
Glad you are the guinea pig OP.

Keep us informed on how it runs after opening gas port when it returns.  Are you going to try and run it suppressed as well?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
ya, goin to use my SDN-6 on it with a AAC brakeout 51t.  will have to grind/file a portion of the ratchet teeth so I can remove the piston.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/MOQT9Fl.jpg

View Quote
Where did you get that lower? How much does it cost to get one made?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Custom made by vadertactical.com

You can ask him for one.  He has the template I made.  You'll just need him to design out a new serial number.  There's no font for the text/numbers, it was all hand traced based on real photos of military T91s to match accurately.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
All set for when I get the upper back.  Got drill bits from #34 (.111) to #44 (.086) and a reduced power buffer spring from wolff.  Morgan sent me a pic of the barrel threaded. Looks perfect.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All set for when I get the upper back.  Got drill bits from #34 (.111) to #44 (.086) and a reduced power buffer spring from wolff.  Morgan sent me of the pic barrel threaded. Looks perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/QWHjpKc.jpg
View Quote
So your machinist was able to turn own the barrel without removing the gas block?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:36:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So your machinist was able to turn own the barrel without removing the gas block?
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZVoHei1uE
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Correct. It was the barrel still attached to the upper, because I didn't have the right wrench to remove the barrel. Morgan Richey, owner of class 3 machining did it.  He can thread anything. Does alot if AKs and ARs. Probably the best in the business and no worry about it being non-concentric. I highly recommend him.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]
That looks sweet. I think my M-16 needs one of those uppers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Got the upper in the mail today, thread job is perfect.  I attached my AAC brakeout 51t so I can use my SDN-6.  One thing to note if you chop the barrel that short is to see if the pistol will clear the mount, mine just barely rubs it.  I was worried I would have to file it down some like I had to one my 805 Bren.  I ordered a wolff reduced power buffer spring and installed it.  Worked my way up to a #34 (.093) drill bit till it locked back on an empty mag.  I meant to take a standard recoil spring but forgot.  put maybe 100rds down range and pissed off some of the other people shooting because of the concussion lol. installed the taller sight and worked great at 25yds. One thing that im concerned about is the rear sight is completely to the left, don't know if its the upper, barrel, or the cheap UTG rear sight.  Hoping its the sight.  

Here is pics of the different size sights, front sight,  the sight to the left, complete SBR with and w/o SDN-6, clearance of the gas piston

Wolf A1 SBR

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#19]
That is pretty awesome, can't wait to hear how it runs (with standard spring)!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:33:47 AM EDT
[#20]
How much did  class 3 machining charge for that thread job?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How much did  class 3 machining charge for that thread job?
View Quote
It was $85 shipped. Barrels don't have to be removed from the upper either.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#22]
It looks fantastic!
How does it shoot suppressed?
How does it feel/balance cut short?  Did you weigh it before & after?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you go to a machinist and he says he can't do that (barrel with gas block), find another machinist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It looks fantastic!
View Quote
Shot great suppressed except there's lots of blowback. Honestly was unpleasant to shoot suppressed. Even with eyepro.

I didnt weigh it, but it's pretty lite and handy. It's front heavy with the heavy ass SDN-6. They are bricks lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shot great suppressed except there's lots of blowback. Honestly was unpleasant to shoot suppressed. Even with eyepro.

I didnt weigh it, but it's pretty lite and handy. It's front heavy with the heavy ass SDN-6. They are bricks lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks fantastic!

Oh wow, I'm surprised to hear that.  I bet some of that blowback can be mitigated.
Still, it looks like a very cool SBR.  Thanks for keeping us updated.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you test fire again before drilling on the thing?

The rifle is already waayyyyy overgassed as can be seen from the ejection pattern. They did this so it will still run with their junk-grade ammo from Russia.

The issue you were having with operation is because you cut too close to the port.

Larger volume of gas + reduced power spring is not a good way to resolve that. I would have moved the port back and experimented with shortening the gas system to an appropriate length for that barrel length.

I've not personally reduced length yet (and I'm really hoping the next iteration of these uppers will be correctly made), but just running the stock upper I'm looking for super heavy standard length buffers to tame this beast.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The rifle is already waayyyyy overgassed as can be seen from the ejection pattern. They did this so it will still run with their junk-grade ammo from Russia.

The issue you were having with operation is because you cut too close to the port.

Larger volume of gas + reduced power spring is not a good way to resolve that. I would have moved the port back and experimented with shortening the gas system to an appropriate length for that barrel length.

I've not personally reduced length yet (and I'm really hoping the next iteration of these uppers will be correctly made), but just running the stock upper I'm looking for super heavy standard length buffers to tame this beast.
View Quote
Im guessing you didn't read my very first post in this thread.  Yes I shot it before I drilled the gas port, it didn't cycle.  The original port size is .073".  That is not over gassed.  After it was threaded I worked my way up to a #34 drill bit, which is .093".  Its not over gassed if that's the size that started locking the bolt back on an empty mag.....Have you never used an adjustable gas block? Looking at the video and from shooting it, you see the casings ejected slightly behind me, at the 3-4 o'clock position. if it was over gassed it would be ejecting them forward. How the hell can you "move the port back"??? just re-drill some random holes in the barrel? have you ever looked at the wolf A1 piston upper? and im supposed to shorten the whole piston assembly? add material to the barrel so the gas block will seat? then re drill lol There is nothing wrong with how they are built or my gas port size.  Mid-length gas system with a 11.5" barrel will have a larger gas port than what people think it should have.  Look at Faxons 11.5" midlength barrel, their gas port is .110"  Please do some learning before you look like a fool again.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Heh, yeah maybe the next time around they will listen to that one guy on the internet who said they did it wrong instead of the worldwide market of nations who have used the rifles as designed for 40+ years. And I'd really like to hear more about your inside information from the 205th Armory about why they tuned it to run with "junk-grade ammo from Russia".
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:Please do some learning before you look like a fool again.
View Quote
That's actually pretty funny coming from a dude who hack-sawed his barrel in front of the port and junked his gun... while documenting the whole fiasco to share on the internet.  

Your rifle is rekt- you may have been able to restore function with gaping ports and weak, non-standard springs, but in reality, that weapon is ready for that tall-kitchen-trash-can.

The port is too large on these rifles as they come. Wolf did it on purpose to force compatibility with their low pressure dumpster-grade ammo from Russia.

A5 H4's are probably a good fix out of the box... your rifle is likely beyond saving unless you move the gas system back (Yes- go shorter than the existing port, press a collar on the barrel, relocate the block, redrill, shorten the piston, find the right number of coils to cut off the primary recoil spring, and hope you don't have to touch the secondary.)

Then good luck modding handguards...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's actually pretty funny coming from a dude who hack-sawed his barrel in front of the port and junked his gun... while documenting the whole fiasco to share on the internet.  

Your rifle is rekt- you may have been able to restore function with gaping ports and weak, non-standard springs, but in reality, that weapon is ready for that tall-kitchen-trash-can.

The port is too large on these rifles as they come. Wolf did it on purpose to force compatibility with their low pressure dumpster-grade ammo from Russia.

A5 H4's are probably a good fix out of the box... your rifle is likely beyond saving unless you move the gas system back (Yes- go shorter than the existing port, press a collar on the barrel, relocate the block, redrill, shorten the piston, find the right number of coils to cut off the primary recoil spring, and hope you don't have to touch the secondary.)

Then good luck modding handguards...
View Quote
Don't worry about this dude, just ingore him.  He just thinks he knows everything and is full of angst, assumptions and hip internet slang.

Wolf already stated that the gas port specs were given to them by the Taiwanese armory as to the most reliable size for all barrel lengths,  I think it was 14.5, 16 and 20.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Heh, yeah maybe the next time around they will listen to that one guy on the internet who said they did it wrong instead of the worldwide market of nations who have used the rifles as designed for 40+ years. And I'd really like to hear more about your inside information from the 205th Armory about why they tuned it to run with "junk-grade ammo from Russia".
View Quote
You're spouting off like the genius OP, but apparently you've never read one single article or thread on this topic.

205th is providing blanks to Wolf- that's where the CHF, 1/7 twist, 5.56 chamber comes from.

Wolf "finishes" them in Tennessee- that's where the bullshit nitride coating, overgassed port, and minimal, if any re-profiling takes place.

Now... who wants to make a bet that those blanks come in at 16.5" and as heavy in front of the gas block as you see them on the finished product?

Wolf screwed themselves by throwing around the $600 price point in their press and promising a chrome lined, serious barrel and a backup sight. Now the sight has disappeared, the chrome is replaced with nitride, and the "finishing" operations are bare-minimum.

I like the method of operation, and would be willing to pay a normal price on a legit T91 upper- this aint it, and this cost cutting BS is not helping them shake their reputation in the industry.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol how's it not functioning? Seems to shoot perfect to me. Ya. The barrel was hacked sawed off. Then threaded and crowned. But I get it. Ur upset because you really don't know what your talking about.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#33]
CHF chrome lined vs. nitrided, I understand it was "promised" as chrome lined but now that it isn't, should it matter? I get it, it' snot military spec, but it's still a good treatment if done correctly and is the fact its cheaper makes it a better choice.

As far as I know, only Criterion is the only barrel maker that has, in their own words, developed a chrome lining process that shouldn't impact accuracy but nitrided barrels won't suffer from that and I think, because the barrel is CHF this might be the better finish (and the bonus is that it also protects the outside as well).  People bash nitride, but it's looking to be better than chrome lining (except for high rate of fire machine guns, I suppose...watch the Faxon Q&A on InRange on YouTube, they cover a lot on this topic).

As far as the profile goes, AIM is going to ask for a pencil profile, but i like my barrels to be a little heavier anyways.  

Regarding the gas ports, his videos showing 3:00 ejection without a brass deflector, that's not overgassed.

Personally, I'm loving what I'm seeing with this upper and will buy one when they come back into stock.  I've read your same comments elsewhere and I understand your points, but the rifle seems to function well and not "overgassed" based on ejection patterns in videos i've seen.  I've only seen flawless function after initial break in.

For $600, that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol how's it not functioning? Seems to shoot perfect to me.
View Quote
Yeah... on the Youtube... but what's a rifle like that good for- with a hogged out port, operating on the very margin of functionality, and only then with a special light spring?

Not a damn thing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Please explain how it's "hogged" out? Have you ever done any work on an AR? Do you own a Wolf A1? Tell me how opening the gas port on a short barrel is ruining it?  Its just like an adjustable gas block, start with it closed and open it until it the bolt locks on an empty mag.  It will need more gas because of the shorter dwell time. Are ARs only good of they are so over gassed that they need heavy buffers and springs? It's perfect because it doesn't need those extra heavy parts. Please read up on their operating system.  You sound like a dumbass.  And I'll check in to Taiwan using "crap Russian ammo"
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Please explain how it's "hogged" out? Have you ever done any work on an AR? Do you own a Wolf A1? Tell me how opening the gas port on a short barrel is ruining it?  Its just like an adjustable gas block, start with it closed and open it until it the bolt locks on an empty mag.  It will need more gas because of the shorter dwell time. Are ARs only good of they are so over gassed that they need heavy buffers and springs? It's perfect because it doesn't need those extra heavy parts. Please read up on their operating system.  You sound like a dumbass.  And I'll check in to Taiwan using "crap Russian ammo"
View Quote
Let it go man, he's just an angsty keyboard commando who needs attention.  You're getting trolled by a child.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Let it go man, he's just an angsty keyboard commando who needs attention.  You're getting trolled by a child.
View Quote
I know. Just feel bad for him. Think of it like community service for the less fortunate. Trying to educate him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Did someone say they had their hog out?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah... on the Youtube... but what's a rifle like that good for- with a hogged out port, operating on the very margin of functionality, and only then with a special light spring?

Not a damn thing.
View Quote
Stop shitting this thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:Please explain how it's "hogged" out? Have you ever done any work on an AR? Do you own a Wolf A1?
View All Quotes
Quoted:Please explain how it's "hogged" out? Have you ever done any work on an AR? Do you own a Wolf A1?
Oh, I've worked on ARs plenty. All type of rifles, in fact.

Never done a hack-saw and vice job though, LOL.

I'm just trying to give you ideas on how to save the gun, don't be hostile. Here are a few more clues (the peanut gallery should ponder these as well).

What did DSA do with a similar gas system when they wanted to so stupid short on the barrel? Is a standard gas system viable at all barrel lengths longer than the piston?

How did BCM solve the same issue you're having, of hacking-off in front of the port? (Hint #2- look under the handguards on this particular one- they didn't simply hogg out)

Think on those and you will lead yourself to the solution...

Quoted:You sound like a dumbass.  And I'll check in to Taiwan using "crap Russian ammo"
Oh, I think it's clear who's participating in dumbassery here (sorry, Hacksaw Jim Duggan).

Also, IF you can make the phone ring over at 205th, homey... PLEASE be sure to ask them what they think about Wolf's "finishing" procedures and what they've done with the specs they were delivered. Ask them about the branding and marketing too... ;)
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got the upper in the mail today, thread job is perfect.  I attached my AAC brakeout 51t so I can use my SDN-6.  One thing to note if you chop the barrel that short is to see if the pistol will clear the mount, mine just barely rubs it.  I was worried I would have to file it down some like I had to one my 805 Bren.  I ordered a wolff reduced power buffer spring and installed it.  Worked my way up to a #34 (.093) drill bit till it locked back on an empty mag.  I meant to take a standard recoil spring but forgot.  put maybe 100rds down range and pissed off some of the other people shooting because of the concussion lol. installed the taller sight and worked great at 25yds. One thing that im concerned about is the rear sight is completely to the left, don't know if its the upper, barrel, or the cheap UTG rear sight.  Hoping its the sight.  

Here is pics of the different size sights, front sight,  the sight to the left, complete SBR with and w/o SDN-6, clearance of the gas piston

Wolf A1 SBR

http://i.imgur.com/BMkcjFC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YnEx29L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5FJN652.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pXtYHPz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XOLz9bo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2SDnuRw.jpg
View Quote
Your rear sight base is offset to the right side of the receiver.  You can shim the sight base to help pull the sight aperture back to the middle of its windage travel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Oh, I've worked on ARs plenty. All type of rifles, in fact.

Never done a hack-saw and vice job though, LOL.

I'm just trying to give you ideas on how to save the gun, don't be hostile. Here are a few more clues (the peanut gallery should ponder these as well).

What did DSA do with a similar gas system when they wanted to so stupid short on the barrel? Is a standard gas system viable at all barrel lengths longer than the piston?

How did BCM solve the same issue you're having, of hacking-off in front of the port? (Hint #2- look under the handguards on this particular one- they didn't simply hogg out)

Think on those and you will lead yourself to the solution...

Oh, I think it's clear who's participating in dumbassery here (sorry, Hacksaw Jim Duggan).

Also, IF you can make the phone ring over at 205th, homey... PLEASE be sure to ask them what they think about Wolf's "finishing" procedures and what they've done with the specs they were delivered. Ask them about the branding and marketing too... ;)
View Quote
Please elaborate on this similar piston setup that DSA had. What issues that BCM have that im supposedly having? Last I knew I'm not hsveing any issues...  You say I need a heavier buffer and spring (guess what those fix. Over gas issues)  I don't need those because the gas port is perfect for the mid length gas piston with a 11.5" barrel. You know. Because of the shorter dwell time. Do you freak out at 300blk gas ports being over .110? They have to be over gassed...

And that hack saw is hurting ur feelings LMAO. Please tell me your issue with cutting off the excess barrel so my machinist doesn't have to.  Easier for him to just crown and thread it.

Still waiting on what issues YOU think I'm having.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#44]
regarding the extreme rear sight alignment, perhaps you need to disassemble the barrel from the upper receiver, and lap the upper receiver front face, maybe it's not square to the receiver bore?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
regarding the extreme rear sight alignment, perhaps you need to disassemble the barrel from the upper receiver, and lap the upper receiver front face, maybe it's not square to the receiver bore?
View Quote
I've thought about that. Goin to try different rear sights first. I'm thinking it's the junk UTG rear sight, it was free so I'm not too worried about throwing it away.

I would have removed the barrel when I had it threaded but I don't have the correct wrench for the barrel nut. Which shouldn't be to hard to make.  It I might just put an Aimpoint or my spare ACOG on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Did you not read my comment above? - Old_Painless
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Op, nice job! 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And that hack saw is hurting ur feelings LMAO. Please tell me your issue with cutting off the excess barrel so my machinist doesn't have to.
View Quote
I don't understand his complaint on this either. It is the least harmful method of cutting a barrel....
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't understand his complaint on this either. It is the least harmful method of cutting a barrel....
View Quote
'Kev is an interesting sort. He means well,.......it just always comes out poorly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Very nice OP!

In before Combat Jack tells us pistons suck!!.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top