Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2024 6:24:31 PM EDT
Adco assembled 2 AR10 upper receivers for me. I did not send the A2 Mid Length handguards. The uppers  were assembled with triangle front band. Now I can not get the handguards on, they are about 1/4 inch too long. I never had this happen before. Any help/ Thank You!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
you know that for AR-10, there are 2 standards for the gas port location that are commonly used.

yours probably uses the more-common AR-15 gas port locations, which does not allow AR-15 drop-in handguards on a AR-308.

you need a barrel that uses the Armalite AR-10 gas port location.  That will allow you to use AR-15 drop-in handguards.  Faxon is one mfr that uses the Armalite AR-10 gas port location for their AR-10 barrels (308, 6.5CM).  it's about 1/4", 3/16" difference.  just fyi, the Armalite AR-10 "carbine" handguard length corresponds closely to the AR-15 mid-gas length.

I made this same discovery years ago.  It's discussed often enough in the AR-308 threads, forums.

what brand of barrel are you using?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Shave off slowly and equally at both ends?

Doubt that will work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]

I used a Faxon barrel for mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you know that for AR-10, there are 2 standards for the gas port location that are commonly used.

yours probably uses the more-common AR-15 gas port locations, which does not allow AR-15 drop-in handguards on a AR-308.

you need a barrel that uses the Armalite AR-10 gas port location.  That will allow you to use AR-15 drop-in handguards.  Faxon is one mfr that uses the Armalite AR-10 gas port location for their AR-10 barrels (308, 6.5CM).  it's about 1/4", 3/16" difference.  just fyi, the Armalite AR-10 "carbine" handguard length corresponds closely to the AR-15 mid-gas length.

I made this same discovery years ago.  It's discussed often enough in the AR-308 threads, forums.

what brand of barrel are you using?
View Quote

Darn!!!! I am using Ballistic Advantage barrels. I have Faxon on other guns and they are ok. Now what to do?????
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Darn!!!! I am using Ballistic Advantage barrels. I have Faxon on other guns and they are ok. Now what to do?????
View Quote

there's no way you're going to be able to use drop-in handguards with a BA AR-10 barrel.  You're just going to have to remove the handguard cap, barrel nut, and use one of the many available brands of free-float rails, take your pick.   That's the bottom line.  In a nutshell.

You could convert one of your Faxon-barrelled AR-10's to accept the drop-in handguards by disassembling them, swapping the barrel nut and handguard cap over to the Faxon, etc. if it's a mid-length gas port.  As long as it's not a pin-&-weld set-up.  Also depends on whether the Faxon AR-10's gas blocks are pinned on, or regular set-screw/clamp.  details.

or just go out and buy a Faxon mid-gas AR-10 barrel for your Aero M5.  Swap out the BA barrel for a Faxon.  Swap over the barrel nut, HG cap, gas block, muzzle device.  At least, the Faxon barrels are reasonably priced, as far as AR-10 barrels go.  You'll need to replace your AR-15 mid-length gas tube with a Armalite AR-10 carbine-length gas tube, available from Fulton (I think), and direct from Armalite.  The AR-15 gas tube is a skosh too short, it'll work, just not optimal.

I think Wilson Combat also uses the Armalite AR-10 gas length standards for their AR-10 barrels, 308 & 6.5CM.

chalk this up to a learning experience to the AR-10 world.

just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

there's no way you're going to be able to use drop-in handguards with a BA AR-10 barrel.  You're just going to have to remove the handguard cap, barrel nut, and use one of the many available brands of free-float rails, take your pick.   That's the bottom line.  In a nutshell.

You could convert one of your Faxon-barrelled AR-10's to accept the drop-in handguards by disassembling them, swapping the barrel nut and handguard cap over to the Faxon, etc. if it's a mid-length gas port.  As long as it's not a pin-&-weld set-up.  Also depends on whether the Faxon AR-10's gas blocks are pinned on, or regular set-screw/clamp.  details.

or just go out and buy a Faxon mid-gas AR-10 barrel for your Aero M5.  Swap out the BA barrel for a Faxon.  Swap over the barrel nut, HG cap, gas block, muzzle device.  At least, the Faxon barrels are reasonably priced, as far as AR-10 barrels go.  You'll need to replace your AR-15 mid-length gas tube with a Armalite AR-10 carbine-length gas tube, available from Fulton (I think), and direct from Armalite.  The AR-15 gas tube is a skosh too short, it'll work, just not optimal.

I think Wilson Combat also uses the Armalite AR-10 gas length standards for their AR-10 barrels, 308 & 6.5CM.

chalk this up to a learning experience to the AR-10 world.

just my opinion.
View Quote

Thank You for your help. I also have a Brownells 308 barrel that mid length handguards work ok,,,but they are discontinued. How much longer are Armalite AR10 carbine gas tubes vs an AR15 mid length gas tube? Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank You for your help. I also have a Brownells 308 barrel that mid length handguards work ok,,,but they are discontinued. How much longer are Armalite AR10 carbine gas tubes vs an AR15 mid length gas tube? Thanks!!
View Quote

AR-15 mid-length gas tube about 11-3/4"
Armalite AR-10 carbine gas tube about 12"

I say "about" because that's what I measured from the ones I've bought, not sure what the actual spec is.

I'm guessing your Brownells 308 barrel was probably manufactured by Faxon.  Faxon gets a lot of those contracts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
here's what a too-short AR-10 gas tube looks like:

compared to normal:
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank You everyone for your help. Anderson has the 12 1/16 gas tubes. I do not have the tools for AR10's so I sent 2 out to be assembled. I am really surprised the builder did not know any of this. Looks like it is time to invest in AR10 receiver blocks and barrel nut tool.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank You everyone for your help. Anderson has the 12 1/16 gas tubes. I do not have the tools for AR10's so I sent 2 out to be assembled. I am really surprised the builder did not know any of this. Looks like it is time to invest in AR10 receiver blocks and barrel nut tool.
View Quote

to be honest, I don't think you can fault Adco for this.  Since you didn't provide them the handguards, they had no reason to verify the length.  You sent them your parts, and they assembled them as requested.  I would wager that the assembly work they did was up-to-par.

At least, there wasn't any machine work involved, cutting, or welding, so everything is reversible and can be un-done.  I'm assuming this isn't a pin-&-weld project.  But you're out the money for labor expended, and round-trip shipping.  Could've been worse.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

to be honest, I don't think you can fault Adco for this.  Since you didn't provide them the handguards, they had no reason to verify the length.  You sent them your parts, and they assembled them as requested.  I would wager that the assembly work they did was up-to-par.

At least, there wasn't any machine work involved, cutting, or welding, so everything is reversible and can be un-done.  I'm assuming this isn't a pin-&-weld project.  But you're out the money for labor expended, and round-trip shipping.  Could've been worse.
View Quote

Actually ADCO has done a lot of work for me and I have no complaints. I reached out to ADCO first and they got back to me immediately, It is 100% on me, I am learning just as everyone else.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top