Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The tritium even on new ones is remarkably useless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone talks about the tritium/FO being better for TEOTWAWKI, but never talks about the fact that lithium AAs are <$2/ea, can be replaced once a year and have a 20yr shelf life.

This means that as long as you buy 20 Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs when you buy the sight, and then swap the battery out every year, and buy another 2 pack of batteries every other year, should batteries suddenly become unobtainable 10 years after you buy the optic you still have another 19-20 years of illumination left.

Contrast with tritium/FO where you have ~12-15yrs from manufacture to tritium too dim to be useful, but the FO can give you an illuminated reticle during daylight for decades.

TA02 is going to be my next ACOG, with an RM09 on top.

The tritium even on new ones is remarkably useless.

That's why we need Radium powered optics
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

4x32 prism, instantaneous auto adjusting reticle brightness - based on the targets illumination level.  Can still pick your reticle (crosshair, chevron, horseshoe/dot), in red, green, blue or amber, BDC.  Browe left Trijicon when they wouldn't listen to him to offer LED in the first place, then Trijicon released their LED models after he started selling.

I love TA-31s, but a Browe BCO, just performs better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honest question, what does Browe do better than an LED ACOG?

4x32 prism, instantaneous auto adjusting reticle brightness - based on the targets illumination level.  Can still pick your reticle (crosshair, chevron, horseshoe/dot), in red, green, blue or amber, BDC.  Browe left Trijicon when they wouldn't listen to him to offer LED in the first place, then Trijicon released their LED models after he started selling.

I love TA-31s, but a Browe BCO, just performs better.

Downside is the Browe is rated for ~2,000hrs battery life, whereas ACOG is 12,000
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
@M1Bullpup

Searched "REM ACOG" on the YouTube and I think I found a video showing a prototype for the REM ACOG. > Link.

Video was from 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@M1Bullpup

Searched "REM ACOG" on the YouTube and I think I found a video showing a prototype for the REM ACOG. > Link.

View Quote

YEP! That was my first attempt at making the REM ACOG. I didn't like the wires being exposed and the LED housing that attached to the fiber optic was hard to attach.
Here is the the REM ACOG on a LT799 mount. I need to make some adjustments so it will fit the QD mounts.

THEY ARE NOW IN STOCK! THEY JUST ARRIVED! Go to https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

YEP! That was my first attempt at making the REM ACOG. I didn't like the wires being exposed and the LED housing that attached to the fiber optic was hard to attach.
Here is the the REM ACOG on a LT799 mount. I need to make some adjustments so it will fit the QD mounts.
https://imageshack.com/i/poXmgCVzj

THEY ARE NOW IN STOCK! THEY JUST ARRIVED! Go to https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/

https://imageshack.com/i/pmXS3ZIIj
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@M1Bullpup

Where exactly was the REM ACOG not fitting around the LaRue mount? I don't use LaRue mounts, I use Bobro mounts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where exactly was the REM ACOG not fitting around the LaRue mount? I don't use LaRue mounts, I use Bobro mounts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@M1Bullpup

I use a LT100 so this has my interest as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please please please make one for the 3.5x35 acogs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]
My REM Acog arrived today.

https://imgur.com/a/0jeH8dj

It was finicky getting it on over the rubber band on my killflash. Liked to separate at the top of the clamshell. If I have issues I'm sure it won't take long with a file or Dremel to make a channel for the band to get it better.   With no KF it goes on great.

Lights up the reticle really well on my limited test indoors.  Will try again on a good sunny day.

Fiber rod lights up quite bright imo. Even on level 1 brightness.  I'd consider taping off more of the rod if my life depended on it.

Pleased overall.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The REM ACOG sits on top of the TA51 Flat top mount. (It is flat). The LaRue's have sides that rise up so I have to take away material on the unit so it will go over the LaRue's. Takes me about 15 minutes.
I will make the adjustments on the mold so the next batch I get in will fit the LaRue's and most quick detach mounts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please please please make one for the 3.5x35 acogs.
View Quote

I will. I have to get these going first and then pour the money into the next project.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My REM Acog arrived today.

https://imgur.com/a/0jeH8dj

It was finicky getting it on over the rubber band on my killflash. Liked to separate at the top of the clamshell. If I have issues I'm sure it won't take long with a file or Dremel to make a channel for the band to get it better.   With no KF it goes on great.

Lights up the reticle really well on my limited test indoors.  Will try again on a good sunny day.

Fiber rod lights up quite bright imo. Even on level 1 brightness.  I'd consider taping off more of the rod if my life depended on it.

Pleased overall.
View Quote

The Kill Flash rubber band goes over top of the REM ACOG not under it.  As to the brightness of the LED. You can dim it to your preference by using a black magic marker and marking over the LED. The more times you mark it the more it will block the LED light.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The REM ACOG sits on top of the TA51 Flat top mount. (It is flat). The LaRue's have sides that rise up so I have to take away material on the unit so it will go over the LaRue's. Takes me about 15 minutes.
I will make the adjustments on the mold so the next batch I get in will fit the LaRue's and most quick detach mounts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update, I'm just seeing now how high the sides of the LaRue mount go up the base of the ACOG. The BOBRO mounts I have are more similar to the TA51 in the mounting base area, so they might actually fit fine with the current REM ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you please let us know when you update it for the Larue mount? All my ACOG’s have Larue mounts and I’m interested in getting a REM ACOG. Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Could you please let us know when you update it for the Larue mount? All my ACOG’s have Larue mounts and I’m interested in getting a REM ACOG. Thank you!
View Quote

You can just order the REM ACOG and send me an email that it is for the LaRue mount and I will make the adjustment to fit. I am adding to my website the 3 choices for mounts.
TA51, Quick Detach, KRAM Spacer.
This will take a few days to show up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the update, I'm just seeing now how high the sides of the LaRue mount go up the base of the ACOG. The BOBRO mounts I have are more similar to the TA51 in the mounting base area, so they might actually fit fine with the current REM ACOG.
View Quote

YEP. tHEY LOOK FLAT LIKE THE ta51. lOOKS GOOD TO GO.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just took a close look at my two Bobro ACOG mounts. The older one I have (2010/2011), it's mounting base is flat like the TA31 mount so I believe it would work. However, the newer one I have (2020/2021), it's mounting base extends a bit up the sides of the mounting base side walls of the ACOG, but only by about a 16th of an inch or so. So the latter/current Bobro ACOG mounts likely won't be compatible.

Not many guys using Bobro mounts though, but lots of guys still using LaRue, and so many other brands of mounts that I've lost track.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just took a close look at my two Bobro ACOG mounts. The older one I have (2010/2011), it's mounting base is flat like the TA31 mount so I believe it would work. However, the newer one I have (2020/2021), it's mounting base extends a bit up the sides of the mounting base side walls of the ACOG, but only by about a 16th of an inch or so. So the latter/current Bobro ACOG mounts likely won't be compatible.

Not many guys using Bobro mounts though, but lots of guys still using LaRue, and so many other brands of mounts that I've lost track.
View Quote

I can make the adjustment to the REM ACOG just like LaRue and I'm sure it will fit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's super cool!  Now please do a TA33 version!  The most requested ACOG update is an LED TA33, but Trijicon won't do it.
View Quote

Would buy one in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can make the adjustment to the REM ACOG just like LaRue and I'm sure it will fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll order one (unmodified) to see if there is any fitment issue on either of my Bobro mounts and report back here. No sense in having you mod it if it doesn't need it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Alright, I got my (unmodified) REM ACOG in the mail today and checked the fit to both my old and new generation Bobro mounts.

Just as I suspected, it would be a bit of a tight fit with my newer Bobro mount. Although it's a literal hair of difference and I think I might have been able to close the two halves together I didn't want to force it. So I just installed it on my ACOG that has the older Bobro mount.

The installation was pretty simple and the two halves lock together at the top (which is what I was hoping for) and it's not really a snap together type of deal. You just put the left half on first and meet the right side top half together with the left side top half and close the right side down into place. For removal you'd just reverse the process. My only critique would have to be two screws on the front and rear bottom half... Although I had no issue, I could easily see someone causing damage if they were to get just a bit too overzealous tightening either of the two screws. They thread into what look to be brass inserts molded into the left side (which is great to see them there because I was thinking that they might just thread into plastic), however my concern would be damaging the thin web of polymer that the heads of the screws bottom out against on the right side. I guess I'd like to see this area beefed up in a second gen version is all. Though as long as you have some common sense and don't go too tight on the screws on the current version you should be fine.

Anyways, I think the REM ACOG is a pretty neat idea and adds a useful capability to the already great fiber optic and tritium illuminated TA31. Just looking out the windows of my house into a lit area outside in the dark, the tritium illuminated reticle is just bright enough that it blends the reticle into the lit background... In that scenario it would be better to be able to take the reticle all the way down to black, but you can't since it's illuminated by the tritium. Just one click to the (1) power setting on the Rem ACOG makes the reticle easily visible, but not so bright that it's too much. So basically, anytime the reticle is just barely lit enough (either through the fiber optic or with the tritium) to where it's just blending into the background the REM ACOG easily makes that issue a non issue.

So I have few pictures... First is just a shot of the newer Bobro mount with a blue arrow indicating where the older Bobro mount interfaces at and a red arrow pointing out the added height on the newer Bobro mount. It's literally only a hair's difference.

REM ACOG installed with the older Bobro mount with blue arrows indicating the slight gap between the top of the mount and the bottom of the REM ACOG.

Plenty of clearance for low profile rear BUIS such as the MBUS PRO. That's as far back as the ACOG will go with or without the REM ACOG.

Illumination dial is not too obtrusive IMO.

What the heck, might as well...

REM ACOG!

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Great review and Pics 556Clif. Have you tried it out at dusk or dawn? That is when the Reticle Enhancement Module really shines.
I just sent a few for review and testing to the American Rifleman Magazine. They tested and published my REM 21 for the Mepro 21 sight and the REM T3s for the PS90 sights a few years back.
I definitely need some exposure for this new product.
This ACOG LED light makes the TA31 like the TA02 without having to spend over a grand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the battery life on the remacog?

I'd try one if they get made for TA11's

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This please.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great review and Pics 556Clif. Have you tried it out at dusk or dawn? That is when the Reticle Enhancement Module really shines.
I just sent a few for review and testing to the American Rifleman Magazine. They tested and published my REM 21 for the Mepro 21 sight and the REM T3s for the PS90 sights a few years back.
I definitely need some exposure for this new product.
This ACOG LED light makes the TA31 like the TA02 without having to spend over a grand.
View Quote

Thanks! I've only tried it out at dusk, but it would work well in any situation where the fiber optic or tritium is not enough to prevent the reticle from blending into the background.

I tried spreading the word about this over on M4Carbine.net as well, but the thread didn't really take off as much as I thought it might. It just seems like this is an idea that would sell pretty well as I've seen a lot of people over the years mention that they would want fiber optic along with led. The REM ACOG is an affordable and easy way to try that combination out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This please.
View Quote

I have them available already. Just order them from my website and choose the Quick Detach version and I'll ship it out.
https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What's the battery life on the remacog?

I'd try one if they get made for TA11's

View Quote

The battery life is 306 hours of continuous use. It will last for years when used intermittently.
Primary arms is coming out with an Auto on/off battery cap that will fit the Rheostat. I should be out in a few months.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I forgot to mention that the REM ACOG is water proof and dust proof and it was tested at 0 degrees F to 120 degrees F. I have drop tested these and hit them with rubber mallets. Very Rugged.
It is just as durable as the REM 21 for the Mepro 21 sight where over 5.000 have been sold these past 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I forgot to mention that the REM ACOG is water proof and dust proof and it was tested at 0 degrees F to 120 degrees F. I have drop tested these and hit them with rubber mallets. Very Rugged.
It is just as durable as the REM 21 for the Mepro 21 sight where over 5.000 have been sold these past 5 years.
View Quote

Awesome! That's really good to hear.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Here are a few pictures of what the REM ACOG can do to illuminate the Reticle. These are from inside a house looking out a window.

Regular sight picture.

Sight picture with the unit turned on.

This really does give the TA31 the same benefits as the TA02.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Very, very good work with this product.

You should try and get some out to The Firearms Blog or have a press release go out on Soldier Systems to help spread the word. This is what many ACOG users have wanted for years, and the price is quite reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Very, very good work with this product.

You should try and get some out to The Firearms Blog or have a press release go out on Soldier Systems to help spread the word. This is what many ACOG users have wanted for years, and the price is quite reasonable.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I will  definitely contact them. Right now American Rifleman Magazine is testing and reviewing these. Hopefully they will do a new item review like they did on my REM 21 and REM T3s.
Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Got a TA31F last year and love it. Next acog i buy will likely be an LED unit just to have both. But it sure is nice not having to think about batteries
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got a TA31F last year and love it. Next acog i buy will likely be an LED unit just to have both. But it sure is nice not having to think about batteries
View Quote

Just buy the REM ACOG and put it on the TA31 and you will have the best of both worlds. Fiber optic illumination and a battery back-up illumination when you need it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top