Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2024 6:47:51 PM EDT
Hello all,
I never posted, just reading others question so far. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15X which is still stock. I have a Banish 30 and 46 cans. This AR I've shot no more than about 150-200 rounds through. I am wondering what buffer or adjustable gas block(system) others have used with their cans? I'm not looking to drop a ton of money. I am interested in keeping the ejection of the spent cartridge in the 2-5 o'clock position after adding either can to the mix. Any suggestions are appreciated. It's the standard 16" length with the a2 front sight. Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Buffer is obviously easier to switch; with a .30 cal can you may be able to do an H2 or H3 and be fine. As for adjustable gas blocks, I like my Aero.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
BRT EZTUNE Gas Tube

Another option to consider.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
JP D2 gas blocks are awesome, so.are the riflespeed ones
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going down the same road, my first time tuning a rifle.   Smarter people than me can come in and correct me but here are my thoughts.  Also go to my thread in the Silencer Forum (in the Armory), look for 'Adjustable Gas Block, Buffer, and Spring'

To get the 3:00 - 4:00 ejection pattern the bolt speed and unlocking need to slow down. Several different ways to do this, some better, some easier.

Do you like to work on your guns? Maybe have or will get a few tools?  What about your front sight?  Do you want the rifle to cycle reliably with and without your silencer, will you change the settings or set and forget

Best approach is an adjustable gas block (AGB), the most difficult, but not hard at all, $40 - $300. Rifle speed is very easily adjustable, heaviest and expensive.  Superlative Arms, as well as having a gas reduction ability, it can also bleed off gas through a second port, mid priced.  Then there are a huge number of AGB between $50 and $150, take your pick. SLR gets a lot of love here, semi-inexpensive, light, popular.

BZT Gas Tube, a smaller diameter hole in the gas tube to reduce the gas flow, go to their site, answer their questions, and they will get you a more appropriate size. Is it 'the perfect' size, don't know but it will certainly be better.  Likely to run both w/ and w/o your cans, all you need to do is punch out a roll pin to replace, easy.

Adjustable gas key, similar to the AGB where you are throttling the gas, but you are doing it at the bolt carrier.  Gas is still coming down the tube but you are choking it down prior to entering the bolt, likely to produce more 'port pop' as the gas is released out the ejection port.  How much louder, once again, I don't know. Tests have been run, but logic states the gas has to go somewhere (some of it goes out the front of the upper).  About the came cost as a AGB, maybe not the absolute best solution but pretty easy and still adjustable.

From my understanding, buffers and springs are more for tuning recoil, but will also effect ejection pattern by keeping the bolt closed longer.  Once moving though, more buffer weight = more momentum = more perceived recoil, unless you can keep it from slamming into the rear of the buffer tube, perhaps with a heavier spring; most seem to prefer a +15% spring rate (Giselle, Sprinco). Giselle comes with a proprietary buffer. Griffin makes a suppresser based buffer (Suppressor Optimized Buffer which I'll likely be picking up), Kynshot hydraulic buffer is also popular, and others I don't know about.  Very easy, but you'll have to find the right combo that'll give you the ejection you are looking for and the recoil upgrade.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but start researching and let us know what you decide.

Me? I am going to try the AGB, probably the SLR, get the Griffin SOB (maybe Kynshot), and possibly a flatwire spring or Sprinco something in +15% rate and tune from there for ejection and recoil.  You can step up to H1, 2, or 3 and, the gun will still run reliably from what I hear, but you still have to test for last round bolt hold open

Vltor A5 kit is highly respected but I don't know a lot about it though.  Lots to learn and unpack, good luck!

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#5]
@BillsMafia

Have you made any headway on your decision?
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I am still reviewing my options. I'm leaning towards an adjustable block 1st. I have an a2 front sight. I really want to get rid of it(just personal preference at this point). I just keep waffling back and forth with an adjustable bcg. I like the simplicity of adjustable bcg or gas block. I know if I don't stop it'll turn into a black hole. Would swapping the buffer weight to the next size up be preferable? I know it's all to easy to drop multiple c-notes on these things. The only additional equipment I've attached is the Banish 30 or 46, ATN Thor 4 640 thermal scope along with an inexpensive red dot and bipod.  Heading to the range this weekend to try everything out(scope, red dot etc). I want to dial it in and go on a pig hunt! I just can't seem to decide  on which end I need to work on for the ejection issue? I guess when I can get a better look at the ejection pattern that will ultimately tell me if a buffer weight change will be sufficient to keep it in the ballpark?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I am still reviewing my options. I'm leaning towards an adjustable block 1st. I have an a2 front sight. I really want to get rid of it(just personal preference at this point). I just keep waffling back and forth with an adjustable bcg. I like the simplicity of adjustable bcg or gas block. I know if I don't stop it'll turn into a black hole. Would swapping the buffer weight to the next size up be preferable? I know it's all to easy to drop multiple c-notes on these things. The only additional equipment I've attached is the Banish 30 or 46, ATN Thor 4 640 thermal scope along with an inexpensive red dot and bipod.  Heading to the range this weekend to try everything out(scope, red dot etc). I want to dial it in and go on a pig hunt! I just can't seem to decide  on which end I need to work on for the ejection issue? I guess when I can get a better look at the ejection pattern that will ultimately tell me if a buffer weight change will be sufficient to keep it in the ballpark?
View Quote

@BillsMafia

I'm in the same situation as you, and it's a very deep rabbit hole.  I'm going to do several things, get Tubb springs for everything, they seem to be universally liked for smoothness, quiet, and slightly stronger than stock.  Secondly, I'd likely go with an H3 buffer (maybe H2) and call it quits for cheap and easy.  Everything I have read says the most AR's will run w/ H3, especially if you're running a silencer.

Apparently the Vltor A5H2  is equivalent to an H3. There are also buffer end caps that offer additional cushioning, Jones Arms EAB Buffer Tip is the one I might try.  The adjustable BCG is better than not having it, but it seems that stopping the gas before it ever gets to the BCG is the best.

So to summarize for me: Tubbs springs, SOB (Griffin Silencer Optimized Buffer) and/or H3 buffer, Jones buffer tip, if going with AGB, I suppose on could stick with H1 or H2 buffer, but don't go so light the momentum is not sufficient to extract the next round from the mag.

Not sure if you read this one yet
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/School-Me-On-The-Vltor-A5-Kit/20-552367/?r=-1&page=1&anc=6096674#i6096674
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top