Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 4:18:55 PM EDT
I have a 14.5 mid length that I've had a carbine buffer in for a while. I just wanted to see if I can notice anything different by changing the buffers. The carbine buffer worked just fine with ejection at around 3:00. 3. :30, and bolt lock at end of magazine. I tried the h6, still around 3:00 to 3:30 Ejection, and got the same ejection with the H buffer. All locking back on last round. It does seem to shoot a little softer, so I think right now I'm just going to leave the h6 in. I surely felt that there would at least be a change in ejection pattern, but there wasn't. Is this normal? This was using the cheapest wolf 223 ammo I had.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What rifle are you running that will cycle Wolf unsuppressed with an H6!? Sounds extremely overgassed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawnydog] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
What rifle are you running that will cycle Wolf unsuppressed with an H6!? Sounds extremely overgassed.
View Quote
Bkings 14.5 midlength. One would think, but it ejects right around 3:30-4 with a carbine buffer. I don't get it.
H6 is not that heavy, I measured 5oz. I understand that it fits between the H2 and H3 buffers in weight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Small changes in buffer weight don’t always make the profound lifechanging impact that the internet would lead you to believe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Small changes in buffer weight don't always make the profound lifechanging impact that the internet would lead you to believe.
View Quote
That's a fact. I watched a Youtube video recently where a guy kept going up in buffer weight and I don't think he ever could tell a difference. It's odd how in one rifle it doesn't do much and another it dramatically changes the ejection pattern and felt recoil. I just wanted to see if this was typical behavior, or if he (the Youtube guy) and I had outlier guns.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#5]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
That's a fact. I watched a Youtube video recently where a guy kept going up in buffer weight and I don't think he ever could tell a difference. It's odd how in one rifle it doesn't do much and another it dramatically changes the ejection pattern and felt recoil. I just wanted to see if this was typical behavior, or if he (the Youtube guy) and I had outlier guns.
View Quote
Used to be somewhat common “wisdom”, and maybe it still is in some circles, that you’d tune a gun by stepping up in buffer weight until the gun doesn’t lock back, and then back off one. Well, even with a click adj gas block, usually guns that will run with an H1 will also run with an H3. And if they don’t run an H3, stepping down to an H2 won’t be a big enough step down to work 100% while dirty, cold, and shooting downwards.

Not saying that it doesn’t work at all. For example a gun that normally has an H2, but doesn’t run that way with steel cased might work with steel cased well enough for training purposes with an H0. And if you add a suppressor occasionally, switching to an H4 during that occasion might make the gun more tolerable with the extra gas. This is why an H0 and an A5H0 live in one of my cans of steel cased, and extra heavy buffers travel with my guns that are only suppressed occasionally.

A gun might feel “clunkier” while using a heavier buffer, and for competition that involves a shot timer, turning down the gas and using a lighter buffer is the normal practice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Used to be somewhat common "wisdom", and maybe it still is in some circles, that you'd tune a gun by stepping up in buffer weight until the gun doesn't lock back, and then back off one. Well, even with a click adj gas block, usually guns that will run with an H1 will also run with an H3. And if they don't run an H3, stepping down to an H2 won't be a big enough step down to work 100% while dirty, cold, and shooting downwards.

Not saying that it doesn't work at all. For example a gun that normally has an H2, but doesn't run that way with steel cased might work with steel cased well enough for training purposes with an H0. And if you add a suppressor occasionally, switching to an H4 during that occasion might make the gun more tolerable with the extra gas. This is why an H0 and an A5H0 live in one of my cans of steel cased, and extra heavy buffers travel with my guns that are only suppressed occasionally.

A gun might feel "clunkier" while using a heavier buffer, and for competition that involves a shot timer, turning down the gas and using a lighter buffer is the normal practice.
View Quote
Thank you, that was helpful.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:48:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#7]
Heavier buffers make it harder to stay on target. The dot/reticle will ‘dance’ more between shots.

You have to get pretty extreme for buffer weight to make any difference in reliability.  If an upper will run, it will run anything from Carbine-H3.  

H and H2 are the best bets for anything even half ass normal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
Heavier buffers make it harder to stay on target. The dot/reticle will ‘dance’ more between shots.

View Quote

This. The BCG returning to battery will cause the muzzle to dip hard, especially with a lighter weight barrel. Follow up shot accuracy suffers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I generally use H or H2 as they are heavy enough to tame bolt bounce and cost less than H3's.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. I'm learning all kinds of stuff.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

This. The BCG returning to battery will cause the muzzle to dip hard, especially with a lighter weight barrel. Follow up shot accuracy suffers.
View Quote
My mid has some weight, but I have a couple of pencil barrels. So, unless otherwise indicated, it's best to stay with carbine buffer on pencil barrels, and maybe a little bit heavier on government?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#12]
My mid has some weight, but I have a couple of pencil barrels. So, unless otherwise indicated, it's best to stay with carbine buffer on pencil barrels, and maybe a little bit heavier on government?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

H/H2 are all that I use and should run just fine in any properly configured AR. Any AR that functions properly with a carbine buffer will benefit from an H weight, IME.

H1/USGI spring is my preferred starting point.

ETA: Gas system/action spring/buffer are all key factors to consider as they all must work together.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#13]

H/H2 are all that I use and should run just fine in any properly configured AR. Any AR that functions properly with a carbine buffer will benefit from an H weight, IME.

ETA: Gas system/action spring/buffer are all key factors to consider as they all must work together.
View Quote
Got it
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed.

H / usgi spring is the most reliable combination and will have the best recoil impulse in any upper using a full mass bcg.  

It bests all the gucci springs, A5 bullshit, etc.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Used to be somewhat common “wisdom”, and maybe it still is in some circles, that you’d tune a gun by stepping up in buffer weight until the gun doesn’t lock back, and then back off one. Well, even with a click adj gas block, usually guns that will run with an H1 will also run with an H3. And if they don’t run an H3, stepping down to an H2 won’t be a big enough step down to work 100% while dirty, cold, and shooting downwards.

Not saying that it doesn’t work at all. For example a gun that normally has an H2, but doesn’t run that way with steel cased might work with steel cased well enough for training purposes with an H0. And if you add a suppressor occasionally, switching to an H4 during that occasion might make the gun more tolerable with the extra gas. This is why an H0 and an A5H0 live in one of my cans of steel cased, and extra heavy buffers travel with my guns that are only suppressed occasionally.

A gun might feel “clunkier” while using a heavier buffer, and for competition that involves a shot timer, turning down the gas and using a lighter buffer is the normal practice.
View Quote

The 5.56 AR is not gas / reciprocating mass sensitive. Any 5.56 that runs and locks back on the last round with an H2 buffer using brass cased 5.56 ball ammo will cycle steel cased .223 55 grain just fine. It just might not lock the bolt back 100% of the time but every round will cycle. It takes a LOT of cut mass to get an AR15 to fail to cycle. Likewise, it takes a lot of added mass to get it to fail to lock the bolt back and even more to get it to fail to cycle 100%. The spread of a buffer from carbine to H3 is not enough.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Small changes in buffer weight don’t always make the profound lifechanging impact that the internet would lead you to believe.
View Quote

When at the range, using the same ammo, shooting back to back in the same rifle, I swapped between 3.0oz, 4.0oz and 4.6oz buffers and noticed no difference in function, felt recoil, ejection distance, or ejection angle in a carbine length gas system. The buffer spring was standard carbine length.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:

Agreed.

H / usgi spring is the most reliable combination and will have the best recoil impulse in any upper using a full mass bcg.  

It bests all the gucci springs, A5 bullshit, etc.
View Quote
I was weak and have an Armaspec Stealth Recoil System with H buffer on the way. If you prove to be right, which I have no doubt that you are, a slightly used Armaspec SRS will be on the EE after I test it out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
One more thing, and I hope I'm going to be able to double check this out today, but my 14.5 carbine seems to shoot softer than my 14.5 midlength. I was shooting one of my carbines the other day, and then shot the mid length, and was like damn. That was even after putting the H buffer in.
They all work reliably, I just like tinkering and can never leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
One more thing, and I hope I'm going to be able to double check this out today, but my 14.5 carbine seems to shoot softer than my 14.5 midlength. I was shooting one of my carbines the other day, and then shot the mid length, and was like damn. That was even after putting the H buffer in.
They all work reliably, I just like tinkering and can never leave well enough alone.
View Quote
Your middy probably has a much larger gas port.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#20]
I just like tinkering and can never leave well enough alone.
View Quote

This is the case for many. And while not a negative in every aspect, much of the time it causes issues for many AR owners.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#21]
View Quote
This is more common than you might expect.

Also, rain.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Your middy probably has a much larger gas port.
View Quote
Maybe. I couldn't tell the difference today, but today I shot the mid after the carbine. Honestly, if I can't tell from one range trip to the next, it's not really an issue. Especially since I'm not having any malfunctions.
But on another rifle, a 14.5 carbine, I had some kind of malfunction. I don't even know what it's called. It was probably the 3rd or 4th round from empty magazine, and it just went click. I'm like, ok a hard primer, just eject and keep going. Only I could not pull back the bolt. I had to mortar it. After that I popped it back in and it fired just right. Does anybody have a name for that malfunction?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#23]

This is the case for many. And while not a negative in every aspect, much of the time it causes issues for many AR owners.
View Quote
I have no doubt
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
This is more common than you might expect.

Also, rain.
View Quote
I wish. No, heat. I was sweating like a horse.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Port size matters more than location.  

That malfunction was a bad round.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Now I'm wondering if I put a carbine buffer in my 14.5" mid will I feel less recoil vs the H2 in there now?
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
Now I'm wondering if I put a carbine buffer in my 14.5" mid will I feel less recoil vs the H2 in there now?
View Quote
If you turn down the gas to go with that minute change, yes, there will be less recoil. Whether you feel it or not is another question, but the result of those two changes is in the realm of “feelable”, depending on other details of your setup.

If you only swap them out, you’ll just have to try it and let the shot timer be the judge. When I’ve done that, for a given gas setting and ammo, neither the heaviest nor the lightest buffer that would run gave the best results.

Either way, an ounce of buffer weight is splitting hairs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I just shot with an Armaspec SRS with H buffer and will admit that it felt smoother and less recoil. No malfunctions, 4 o'clock ejection, bolt hold open on last round of Wolf .223 55g.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top