Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2015 1:25:58 PM EDT
Just finished my build and no ammo through it as of yet.  When I pull back on the charging handle (BCM Gunfighter), it clicks at the full retraction point and is then loose, i.e., no spring tension to bring it back forward.  The BCG stays back and will not go forward until the bolt catch is depressed, and then the BCG goes forward.  With the Ejection Port Cover open, the bolt is exposed about 1/4".  There is an empty mag installed (PMAG Gen 3 5.56).  As far as parts go, I have installed the following in my build:  Magpul CTR buttstock, Spikes S2-T2 buffer, POF anti-tilt buffer tube, and a Tubb Flat Wire AR-15 Buffer Spring.  The reason for the non-Milspec items is that the gas system is an Osprey Gas Piston system (mid-length).  In regards to the trigger group, I purchased the DPMS LPK and upgraded that trigger by using the JP Enterprises Trigger Spring (yellow), the AR15 Trigger Adjuster, and the KNS Hammer and Trigger Pins Non-Rotate upgrade.  The only other thing I changed out on the lower was a Norgon Ambi-Mag release and the Ultimate Arms Gear Ambi Safety.  In regards to lubing and/or oiling the different parts, I went by the YouTube video that MidwayUSA put together on both the upper and the lower.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you need to read up on how an AR works.

The charging handle has no spring tension involved with it's operation.

From what I can decypher from the OP, you are locking the bolt to the rear, as it does and then expecting the charging handle to spring back forward?

No, you push the charging handle back forward and lock it in place.  Then the bolt will stay back until you press the bolt release and it slams home.  Never "ride" a bolt forward, with the charging handle, especially trying to chamber a round.

Please go back and cleanup that run-on sentence of an OP and ask your question for clarification.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello-

It is working correctly.  The front of the charging handle slips over the gas key.  When you open the chamber and lock the bolt open, there is nothing to return it other than doing it by hand.  When the bolt closes, it returns the charging handle.

During normal operation the charging handle does not cycle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You said you had an empty magazine inserted? Try it after you remove the magazine. An empty magazine is supposed to lock the BCG to the rear. Without the magazine inserted you should be just fine to rack it freely. As far as the bolt being exposed is concerned, you are probably riding the charging handle instead of letting the BCG slam home freely. It is common for the bolt to not fully go into battery if you are riding it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This instructional video from the 1960's TF 9 3663 – Rifle 5.56MM, XM16E1 – Operation and Cycle of Functioning will help visually explain the inner-workings (for the most part; since the AR15 is semi-auto only) of the AR platform. Since the AR15 shares a high commonality with the M16. Which will answer what you're wondering, plus get you up to speed with the weapon platform.

(*there are some differences, but the basic operations are the same)
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm outted.  This is my first AR.  I watched a YouTube Army video and it appeared that the charging handle sprung back.  Sorry for my stupidity...and my poor sentence structure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The charging handle will return to its forward position if the bolt carrier is not locked to the rear.

You will experience the bolt locking to the rear under the following circumstances:

1) You manually locked the bolt to the rear by actuating the bolt catch/bolt release mechanism while pulling back on the charging handle
2) You pulled the charging handle rearward while there is an empty mag inserted in the weapon.
3) You fired all of the ammunition and the bolt catch / bolt release mechanism engaged automatically once your magazine became empty.

If you insert a loaded magazine, or remove the magazine completely, you will no longer experience the bolt carrier group locking to the rear (unless you manually engage the bolt catch / bolt release mechanism as I mention above).
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm outted.  This is my first AR.  I watched a YouTube Army video and it appeared that the charging handle sprung back.  Sorry for my stupidity...and my poor sentence structure.
View Quote

Ignorance =/= stupidity.  You're learning.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for having more tolerance than some others.  How's MT doing?  I lived in Great Falls and married my wife from Chinook.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
first few posts nailed it......
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for having more tolerance than some others.  How's MT doing?  I lived in Great Falls and married my wife from Chinook.
View Quote

Doing well.  It's getting green... Finally!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a room you two.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top