Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 2:22:02 PM EDT
I ordered a kit that came with a upper +parts kit, lower +parts kit, and a fortress defense systems free float hand guard + barrel nut, wrench, hardware, and 2 small rails (besides the full top rail) all for $260 originally $420. I couldn't find any info on the fds handguard before I ordered and was told they are a defense contracter that white wolf (aero partner) does business with and they don't sell commercially so that's why I couldn't find info on it. I'm very impressed with it, looks and feels like a quality handguard and nice and light like I wanted but my only problem is that the 2 small rails it comes with install by removing small bolts from the sides or bottom and screwing them in but I have no idea where I'm going to be able to find more. Was wondering if anyone has experience with FDS or has the same kit and knows where or what to purchase. Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is some pics if it helps identify what rails to buy. I will need to buy hardware for the rails as well bc it only came with enough for those 2 rails. I want to put on a larue tactical hand stop bc that's what I use on my other AR and I really like them but I need a rail long enough for the clips and stops, I'll probably only use one of the rails it came with for a flashlight. I was trying to post pics through photo bucket so they just show up in my post but for some reason it is only posting links so if anyone knows how to make pics show up without using links let me know, I copied the IMG link.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of FDS and a Google search isn't turning up much either.  The whole "defense contractor" thing is almost certainly a load of bullshit.

My guess (based off the low cost and the company having zero internet presence) is it's probably some Chi-com rail bought in bulk from somewhere like Alibaba that was then packaged by some distributor and sold to a bunch of retailers.

Your best bet at finding more rail sections is probably going to be through the place you got it from.  They're the only people who would have some sort of a line to wherever the handguard came from.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
There is the possibility that the magpul rail sections may fit, or Midwest Industries maybe? I think the poster above was right about the chicom imports.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never heard of FDS and a Google search isn't turning up much either.  The whole "defense contractor" thing is almost certainly a load of bullshit.

My guess (based off the low cost and the company having zero internet presence) is it's probably some Chi-com rail bought in bulk from somewhere like Alibaba that was then packaged by some distributor and sold to a bunch of retailers.

Your best bet at finding more rail sections is probably going to be through the place you got it from.  They're the only people who would have some sort of a line to wherever the handguard came from.
View Quote

I don't think it's bullshit. It actually comes in a package with aero upper and lower included and aero sends it like that to Schuyler Arms. I've order from Schuyler a few times and I talked to Chris as well and I trust him. Definitely not from China, you can tell by the quality of the product. Schuyler Arms is also the only one who has it so being sold in bulk to a bunch of retailers is not likely and the fact aero supplies it to Schuyler makes it unlikely as well. I guess getting ahold of Aero is my best bet and I will ask them about FDS and post what they say in case anyone is curious.

Here is the link to the product, they raised price $15 since I ordered.
http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-builders-kit-993
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think it's bullshit. It actually comes in a package with aero upper and lower included and aero sends it like that to Schuyler Arms. I've order from Schuyler a few times and I talked to Chris as well and I trust him. Definitely not from China, you can tell by the quality of the product. Schuyler Arms is also the only one who has it so being sold in bulk to a bunch of retailers is not likely and the fact aero supplies it to Schuyler makes it unlikely as well. I guess getting ahold of Aero is my best bet and I will ask them about FDS and post what they say in case anyone is curious.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely post what they say, you've got me interested.  I still don't believe the "defense contractor" claim.  Most defense contractors have websites.  There's also the fact that I've never seen any "FDS" firearm related parts/products in use with the US .mil nor have I ever heard of them being used.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Definitely post what they say, you've got me interested.  I still don't believe the "defense contractor" claim.  Most defense contractors have websites.  There's also the fact that I've never seen any "FDS" firearm related parts/products in use with the US .mil nor have I ever heard of them being used.
View Quote

I agree I think it's strange as well, but I dont think China made this. I did email Aero the other day asking questions about what I was told. I even went through a bunch of China retailer websites and haven't came across any handguard that looks like it. I'll post what they say after I receive a reply.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Any more info on this rail?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any more info on this rail?
View Quote

I thought I updated this thread after I talked to Aero.

When I first asked Aero about the handguard  they told me they couldn't discuss their business with Schuyler with me. It took some time and rewording a lot of what I said for them to tell me that they were only received as kits and they could not get the rails for them.

I did see the same exact rails and very similar handguard on Bravo Company on a gun for a different accessory advertisement. I'll have to find it again but they must be out there if there's pictures of them.

I was thinking about it and to add enough rails for a Larue hand stop/index clips it would add unnecessary weight IMO. Instead I used one rail for a Magpul RVG that I'm using as a hand stop and I'll use the other rail for a flashlight when I get one. I have Magpul gen 2 sights, Magpul RVG, and Aimpoint M2 once I get it back from repair so other than a flashlight and maybe a connection for a sling on the handguard there isn't anything else I think I need on my gun and nothing I would need another rail for.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I thought I updated this thread after I talked to Aero.

When I first asked Aero about the handguard  they told me they couldn't discuss their business with Schuyler with me. It took some time and rewording a lot of what I said for them to tell me that they were only received as kits and they could not get the rails for them.

I did see the same exact rails and very similar handguard on Bravo Company on a gun for a different accessory advertisement. I'll have to find it again but they must be out there if there's pictures of them.

I was thinking about it and to add enough rails for a Larue hand stop/index clips it would add unnecessary weight IMO. Instead I used one rail for a Magpul RVG that I'm using as a hand stop and I'll use the other rail for a flashlight when I get one. I have Magpul gen 2 sights, Magpul RVG, and Aimpoint M2 once I get it back from repair so other than a flashlight and maybe a connection for a sling on the handguard there isn't anything else I think I need on my gun and nothing I would need another rail for.
View Quote

Awesome thanks for the reply, much appreciated.  Do you like the rail, any pictures of the rail installed?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome thanks for the reply, much appreciated.  Do you like the rail, any pictures of the rail installed?
View Quote

Yes I like the handguard, its slim and fits my hand well. Much lighter then my aero quad rail handguard. It feels and looks like a quality handguard, no problems installing either. The only thing is the rails that come with handguard attach with little allen screws and recoil loosened them up a little, some blue loctite fixed that though. I'll upload some pics when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi, how much torque did you apply to the  barrel nut? Mine didn't come with any instructions. Thank you and have a great day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hi, how much torque did you apply to the  barrel nut? Mine didn't come with any instructions. Thank you and have a great day.
View Quote

Range for barrel torque is 30-80 foot pounds, that's what I have read in different tthread. I torqued mine right around 55 foot pounds and it's holding solid. Sorry for the late response, hope you figured it out. If you have any other questions you can pm me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top