Page / 61
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I love this.  Nice MAWL too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't put my MRO and Surefire DF on yet.

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 6:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#3]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
I have a few guns I would choose first for civil unrest, truck gun, bump in the night; but if I were to be forced into an INCH scenario where I had to live off the land, flee civilization, etc, this is my girl.  My SDM gun is currently on its 2nd bolt, 3rd trigger, and 3rd optic is TBD, with original barrel (Superior Barrels SDM profile).  Looking hard at the 1.5-6x Elcan this time, and a Perst-3, and a fresh coat of krylon.

https://i.imgur.com/QZFk7gN.jpg?1
View Quote

@FrankW134

I concur. I like the rattle can job on yours. This is mine. I knew from the minute I picked it up it was my INCH/SHTF rifle. I went with the 1.5-6 Burris MTAC with the Ballistic AR reticle in a GG&G mount. I like it. I like it ALOT.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
MCX legacy
8.5 300 black
Geissele SSA
Silencerco Hybrid
Surefire vis/IR light
T2
Skeet
VTAC sling
MAWL and eotech G33 mounted when necessary

This gun is really well done by Sig, and having a 556 barrel that takes a torch wrench and 2 min to switch is pretty awesome.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My birthday present to myself, the upper just came in - there are a few mods coming;

BCM MK2 Standard 11.5" (Enhanced Lightweight) Carbine Upper Receiver Group w/ MCMR-10 Handguard, Muzzle Device: Flash Hider A2 (plans for a SureFire WarComp)
BCM GUNFIGHTER Vertical Grip Mod 3 - Flat Dark Earth (considering trying a KAG)
BCM GUNFIGHTER Grip Mod 3 - Flat Dark Earth
BCM BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 4B (MEDIUM) Latch
BCM BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto - FLAT DARK EARTH-IB
Novelty Finger BUIS as a placeholder for proper BUIS set TBD
SBA3 stabilizing brace
Leupold VX-Freedom Rifle Scope 1.5-4x 20mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments AR Ballistic Reticle Matte
LT204 LaRue C.A.N. QD SPR Mount
Personalized Territorial Gunsmiths Lower
LPK is from a bulk purchase, reportedly from FN c.2008, Waiting for the availability of a BCM PNT trigger

Shopping for a light

The upper still has the BCM smell of goodness.  Gonna swab the bore and properly dirty it up soon.
This won't be a safe queen.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JarHead94:

@FrankW134

I concur. I like the rattle can job on yours. This is mine. I knew from the minute I picked it up it was my INCH/SHTF rifle. I went with the 1.5-6 Burris MTAC with the Ballistic AR reticle in a GG&G mount. I like it. I like it ALOT.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12951/IMG_1450_jpeg-1519149.JPG
View Quote

I started with a TA31 for clone purposes, then graduated to a IOR 2.5-10x in a Larue mount and made it my dedicated prairie dog/coyote/bobcat gun for about a decade.  I wouldn't mind throwing the ACOG back on, but I really like the Elcans.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WolfTrack:
My birthday present to myself, the upper just came in - there are a few mods coming;

BCM MK2 Standard 11.5" (Enhanced Lightweight) Carbine Upper Receiver Group w/ MCMR-10 Handguard, Muzzle Device: Flash Hider A2 (plans for a SureFire WarComp)
BCM GUNFIGHTER Vertical Grip Mod 3 - Flat Dark Earth (considering trying a KAG)
BCM GUNFIGHTER Grip Mod 3 - Flat Dark Earth
BCM BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 4B (MEDIUM) Latch
BCM BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto - FLAT DARK EARTH-IB
Novelty Finger BUIS as a placeholder for proper BUIS set TBD
SBA3 stabilizing brace
Leupold VX-Freedom Rifle Scope 1.5-4x 20mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments AR Ballistic Reticle Matte
LT204 LaRue C.A.N. QD SPR Mount
Personalized Territorial Gunsmiths Lower
LPK is from a bulk purchase, reportedly from FN c.2008, Waiting for the availability of a BCM PNT trigger

Shopping for a light

The upper still has the BCM smell of goodness.  Gonna swab the bore and properly dirty it up soon.
This won't be a safe queen.  

https://i.imgur.com/Sfyp1Nk.jpg
View Quote

Suppression plans?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Block II M4 SBR has been my go to for years. Geissele SSA, SU-230, PEQ-15, M600V, SOCOM RC. Swapped out the PRI Gas Buster for a Geissele URGI ACH today. Everything else Colt and Daniel Defense.

I really want to try out a Nightforce 1-8 eventually.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]

@RJeff21
Is that mount Geissele 1.93?  

I used to think this setup was completely unnecessary.  Probably even posted about it on this thread.  Well fellas, lately I've been shooting my Aimpoints on 2.04" mounts (I have 1 left on a 1/3, 4 on 2.04's).  Not just NV Setups either, they are just much faster running around, shooting on the move.  

Now I'm thinking 1.93 might be about the best mount for an LPVO on anything on 14-5.  I'm going to set up my 14.5 KAC Mod 2 E3 exactly the same as You have yours Jeff.  Long story short, I love it.  Very nice setup!

Also, what Can is that?,  I'm going to run my Omega 300 w/ 5.56 end cap.  Anyway, again, very nice setup, I really love it!

[color=#ff0000]Another thing for Everyone to take note of- there have been a lot more tall/NV mounts in the pics lately.  When I first made this thread you almost never saw them at all.  Must be a reason for it...[/color]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Right- 11-5 Colt/Geissele, my main Mid Range PDW and NV
Left- 12-5 6.8SPC 2 LMT, this is my go to close to mid range hunting...Gun...soon to be SBR
So I'm thinking the LMT needs a 1.93 mount.  What's your take guys?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
Here are my go-to setups:

On the left:
- BCM 12.5 upper with Midwest Industries MLOK handguard, BCM bolt/carrier, Geissele Airborne Charging Handle, with KVP Linear Comp
- Complete PSA Lower with SBA3 using BCM H2 buffer and Sprinco Blue Spring
- EOTech 3-0 optic with Magpul Pro backup sights
- Streamlight ProTac 1 with Arisaka Offset Mount
- Painted in a custom Battleship Grey with FDE furniture from Magpul and BCM

On the right:
- BCM MK2 14.5 P/W to 16" ELW upper, Cold Hammer Forged barrel, with MCMR-13 Handguard
- Lantac Black Nitride bolt/carrier, Geissele Airborne Charging Handle, with extended A2 flash hider
- Complete BCM lower using BCM H2 buffer and Sprinco Blue Spring
- EOTech 3-0 optic/magnifier with Scalarworks Peak fixed Front Sight and Magpul Pro adjustable backup sight
- Streamlight ProTac 1 with Arisaka Inline Mount
- Went with a black and tan theme here with mostly BCM furniture and a B5 System Bravo stock

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65378/20200722_171832-1514814.jpg

The 12.5 has been a pleasant surprise.. fairly lightweight, compact, and prints 1-1.5" inch groups at 50 yards with 55gr M193 and .223 ammo. The 14.5 is fairly new and has only seen 200 rds so still breaking her in, but so far no issues.
View Quote

@Brok3n
Who make this grey Lower?  I's it Type 2 Hard, Type 1, or Creocote?  
Thanks,
J. D.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 9:30:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#12]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:
Left- 12-5 6.8SPC 2 LMT, this is my go to close to mid range hunting...Gun...soon to be SBR
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200727_060405-1521144.jpg
View Quote

@M-4matus
You absolutely should get a 1.93” lpvo mount. My experience is with a 2.04 on my 12.5, but functionally it’s the same. As you have seen with your high mounted red dot, it’s great for running around on 1x. I have never had issues on full magnification with the high mount as well.

I’ve been really happy with my Geissele mount, but a badger C1 in 1.93 would be pretty sweet as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

Suppression plans?
View Quote

Eventually
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#14]

@RJeff21

I used to think this setup was completely unnecessary.  Probably even posted about it on this thread.  Well fellas, lately I've been shooting my Aimpoints on 2.04" mounts (I have 1 left on a 1/3, 4 on 2.04's).  Not just NV Setups either, they are just much faster running around, shooting on the move.  

Now I'm thinking 1.93 might be about the best mount for an LPVO on anything on 14-5.  I'm going to set up my 14.5 KAC Mod 2 E3 exactly the same as You have yours Jeff.  Long story short, I love it.  Very nice setup!

Also, what Can is that?,  I'm going to run my Omega 300 w/ 5.56 end cap.  Anyway, again, very nice setup, I really love it!

[color=#ff0000]Another thing for Everyone to take note of- there have been a lot more tall/NV mounts in the pics lately.  When I first made this thread you almost never saw them at all.  Must be a reason for it...[/color]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@RJeff21

Yep, 1.93 on the G Mount.  Saker 556 can.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]

@Brok3n
Who make this grey Lower?  I's it Type 2 Hard, Type 1, or Creocote?  
Thanks,
J. D.
View Quote

It's a standard PSA lower with a cerakote paint job from Mk3 Firearms in Las Vegas, NV.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

@M-4matus
You absolutely should get a 1.93” lpvo mount. My experience is with a 2.04 on my 12.5, but functionally it’s the same. As you have seen with your high mounted red dot, it’s great for running around on 1x. I have never had issues on full magnification with the high mount as well.

I’ve been really happy with my Geissele mount, but a badger C1 in 1.93 would be pretty sweet as well.
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200727_060405-1521144.jpg

@M-4matus

@rbutcher-
I have many Geissele Mounts, but I had started to move towards Scalarworks.  I will most likely buy a Scalarworks 1.93 now that they make them.  Out of all the mounts I have used, they have been the lightest, easiest to install and they still maintaining a zero 100% of the time in My experience.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

Yep, 1.93 on the G Mount.  Saker 556 can.
View Quote

Got ya.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]

It's a standard PSA lower with a cerakote paint job from Mk3 Firearms in Las Vegas, NV.
View Quote

@Brok3n
OK, thanks.  Man I really need to find a stripped Geissele Lower in grey...
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]

This is my go to. Its a Colt AR15A4 lightweight carbine. Picked this up at the Tampa gun show and liked how it felt so I took it home. I mounted a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 scope, which is nice and lightweight too. This whole setup weighs about 8 lbs 5 ounces fully loaded. Its not as accurate as my 20" A4, this one is around 2 moa with 55gr M193, my 20" is better at around 1.5 moa. It might be the lightweight pencil barrel but its all good out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#20]

@rbutcher-
I have many Geissele Mounts, but I had started to move towards Scalarworks.  I will most likely buy a Scalarworks 1.93 now that they make them.  Out of all the mounts I have used, they have been the lightest, easiest to install and they still maintaining a zero 100% of the time in My experience.
View Quote

How is the scalarworks in terms of secure mounting to the upper? I know that they say to tighten them to finger tight, and intellectually I know that something with positive load on it like the scalarworks is going to be different than a cross bolt held on only by torque, but I guess it still messes with me since I haven’t tried it. I’m assuming you’ve had no issues with them, and man do they look good. Might have to try one.
@M-4matus
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:
https://i.imgur.com/GeoQXUl.jpg

This is my go to. Its a Colt AR15A4 lightweight carbine. Picked this up at the Tampa gun show and liked how it felt so I took it home. I mounted a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 scope, which is nice and lightweight too. This whole setup weighs about 8 lbs 5 ounces fully loaded. Its not as accurate as my 20" A4, this one is around 2 moa with 55gr M193, my 20" is better at around 1.5 moa. It might be the lightweight pencil barrel but its all good out to 300 yards.
View Quote

I like it.  Plans for a white light?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

1 of 2 “go-to” rifles

This one fills more of the medium range role. My other (14.5in) is my absolute go-to rifle. Having trouble getting a good picture of it though
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Thanks, yeah I've seen mounts that mount onto the bayo lug. I'm not going with a rail, I like the basic plastic handguards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Thanks, yeah I've seen mounts that mount onto the bayo lug. I'm not going with a rail, I like the basic plastic handguards.
View All Quotes

Have you looked at the Mount-n-slot mounts? They are designed to work with plastic hand guards.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-1-light-mount-n-slot/

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#25]

How is the scalarworks in terms of secure mounting to the upper? I know that they say to tighten them to finger tight, and intellectually I know that something with positive load on it like the scalarworks is going to be different than a cross bolt held on only by torque, but I guess it still messes with me since I haven’t tried it. I’m assuming you’ve had no issues with them, and man do they look good. Might have to try one.
@M-4matus
View All Quotes

@rbutcher-

@M-4matus

@rbutcher
I have had 0 issues with Aimpoimts and RMR mounts.  I have had my LPVO Mount skip 1 click.  I put the smallest amount of red loktite on it I could and it never moved again.  I would recommend them highly for Aimpoimts, RMRs, etc..and LPVOs.  I use geissele and LaRue for LR/high powered optics.  The Scalarworks LPVO Moumts also have an auto leveling screw that DOES perfectly level you optic and that is a very nice feture.  

I called Scalarworks and they said that their Moumts should never skip even 1 click and asked me to send it back.  Since I could fix it myself I did not want to wait on that, but, they did offer a new mount if I sent it in.  Long story short.  For SHTF, I think Scalarworks is perfect.  The return to zero has also worked flawlessly on the 6 Scalarworks Mounts I have.  Hope this answers your questions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texsylvanian] [#26]

@RJeff21

View Quote

@M-4matus
A while back I said I was rebuilding most of my guns.  That is still the case.  However, since most of my guns are in a transition phase, this is a good time to ask questions about the use of these high-rise scope rings.  Now, I enjoy speed shooting as much as the next guy, but how do these high rise mounts affect intermediate range performance? I’m no long distance shooter by any means, however I do maintain easy hits on a 450 yard steel with a razor 1-6 and I enjoy shooting nice groups at 100.  What would you all say is the impact of these mounts? Do they help or hinder distance shots, or do they do neither?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ll have to chime in and say the Scalarworks mounts are about as good as they come. I’m using a 1.93” LEAP/06 for my Aimpoint magnifier on one gun, a 1.57” T2 mount on another, and the 1.93” LEAP/07 for my SF Arrowhead 1-10 LPVO on another. They’re all fantastic, and work just the way they should. RTZ for me, perfect on all of them.

I also bought a “nudge tool” just because I could. This is a 3D printed helper tool from another manufacturer. Google Scalarworks Nudge Tool.

Nice sticks all, stay safe & God bless America!
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#28]

@rbutcher
I have had 0 issues with Aimpoimts and RMR mounts.  I have had my LPVO Mount skip 1 click.  I put the smallest amount of red loktite on it I could and it never moved again.  I would recommend them highly for Aimpoimts, RMRs, etc..and LPVOs.  I use geissele and LaRue for LR/high powered optics.  The Scalarworks LPVO Moumts also have an auto leveling screw that DOES perfectly level you optic and that is a very nice feture.  

I called Scalarworks and they said that their Moumts should never skip even 1 click and asked me to send it back.  Since I could fix it myself I did not want to wait on that, but, they did offer a new mount if I sent it in.  Long story short.  For SHTF, I think Scalarworks is perfect.  The return to zero has also worked flawlessly on the 6 Scalarworks Mounts I have.  Hope this answers your questions.
View Quote

I too have both the scalarworks and the Geissele.  I hands down prefer the scalarworks for reasons that are already well known.  The only thing that makes me nervous about it is longevity.  Maybe my understanding of the mechanism is flawed, but isn’t it dependent upon spring/detent pressure to remain locked in place? How long are those springs going to last? The Geissele, by comparison, is just a cross bolt that gets torqued on and off.

Maybe that concern isn’t valid.  After all, the AR is dependent on springs/detents and some 40 year old guns are still going strong.  It’s always in the back of my mind though...
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MK18nub:
My do-it-all rifle including SHTF.
https://i.imgur.com/6REGy5v.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4sF8Feb.jpg
View Quote

Bro I don’t know what’s cooler... that rifle or showing us how you made that awesome shot possible.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Texsylvanian:

Bro I don’t know what’s cooler... that rifle or showing us how you made that awesome shot possible.
View Quote

Yas!
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
So I just bought a Q Cherry Bomb in 1/2 x 28 to use o with my Omega 300.  I haven't received the Cherry Bomb yet, but i'm wondering if i need another adapter to run the Cherry Bomb on the Omega'  Anybody know what I might need?
View Quote

Enjoy.  I just had an AAC 556-SD modified by Ecco Machine to accept the keymo module, a plan b and a cherry bomb.  As a suppressor mounting solution it beats the shit out of the 51t system and weighs a lot less to boot.  Excellent work by Ecco, I highly recommend them.

I use it as as a reliable direct thread suppressed option for an HD AR pistol setup.  On a 10.5 unsuppressed, it’s so loud it will make your teeth hurt.

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 4:54:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The-Ant1-Liberal] [#32]
The "Go To" when there's not a fresh battery to be found and your last NiCad battery has long since past its last charge, it'll all boil down to one skill...BUIS.

I break this out from time to time and ring steel @ 100, 200 and 300 yards to hone/ensure holdovers. Everyone should have a stick w/just "irons"...keeps you humble too.

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By The-Ant1-Liberal:
The "Go To" when there's not a fresh battery to be found and your last NiCad battery has long since past its last charge, it'll all boil down to one skill...BUIS.

I break this out from time to time and ring steel @ 100, 200 and 300 yards to hone/ensure holdovers. Everyone should have a stick w/just "irons"...keeps you humble too.

https://i.imgur.com/MZSf4UH.jpg?1
View Quote

I love that.  I wish that I had gotten an integrated carry handle upper for my iron sights only build.  Instead I have a flat top/f marked so it is an LMT fixed rear instead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is the current iteration in process;

Geissele super duty 11.5" upper
Spikes Tactical SBR lower with a Geissele super tricon trigger
Vortex Razor HD-E gen II 1-6 in a ADM Recon 1.93 mount

I just got this upper zeroed and am really happy with the accuracy out of the 11.5" barrel as well as how well the Vortex performs. I'll be adding a modlite to brighten things up a bit and am weighing my options on what kind of hand stop to run.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blanco_Diablo] [#35]

Took off the hand stop, changed the sling mount up, switched out the old VTAC sling for an ESD (love it so far), and added a riser for the Aimpoint. Yes, it's a UTG, yes it allows me to passively aim with my RNVGs, no I don't really care about looking cool with brand names if it works 🤷🏻‍♂️

Absolutely love this little rifle. Just wish my Turbo K would get approved so it could live on here...
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By The-Ant1-Liberal:

https://i.imgur.com/MZSf4UH.jpg?1
View Quote

I have the exact same one and love taking it out from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock9mm1990] [#37]
BCM 20" A4 inspired build.

https://imgur.com/a/BN61dtb
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#38]

@Brok3n
OK, thanks.  Man I really need to find a stripped Geissele Lower in grey...
View Quote

I've come to appreciate the greys Here's my 12.5 Grendel in a dark grey

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65378/20200729_220402-1525412.jpg
View Quote

nice!
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]

@M-4matus
A while back I said I was rebuilding most of my guns.  That is still the case.  However, since most of my guns are in a transition phase, this is a good time to ask questions about the use of these high-rise scope rings.  Now, I enjoy speed shooting as much as the next guy, but how do these high rise mounts affect intermediate range performance? I’m no long distance shooter by any means, however I do maintain easy hits on a 450 yard steel with a razor 1-6 and I enjoy shooting nice groups at 100.  What would you all say is the impact of these mounts? Do they help or hinder distance shots, or do they do neither?
View All Quotes

@RJeff21

@M-4matus

@Texsylvanian
So I have been running the 2.04s out to 200, maybe 300 sometimes, same as I was with my lower 1/3s.  These 2,04s are all on pistols/SBRs.  I am switching my Razor and Accupoint 1-4 w/ traingle post to 1.93 ASAP.  You know your dope, you hit you targets.  I HAVE FOUND ONLY BENEFITS TO HIGHER MOUNTS.  They have allowed me to shoot NV much better and  in my heads up, square on run and gun training, I have definitely become more able to square up when firing and increase my times.  You have to get used to the cheek weld, but that did not take long. It actually feels more natural than my lower 1/3 cheek weld.  I was unsure, but now I'm sold.

Best of luck.  I recommend making the transition, I believe you'll find it a very natural one.

best regards
jdd
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 4:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#41]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65378/20200729_220402-1525412.jpg
View Quote

@Brok3n
hey brother,
Nice gun!  Where did you get the grey lower?  Is it Anodized?  Type1 or 2?  
I am trying hard to find a Geissele grey Super Duty Lower but I'm having a hard time.  Might need to look at other options.  I have tried trading a 10-5 grey MK16 rail, all kinds of other perts, no luck.  Can't find one to buy..Anyway, what is Yours?  How do you like it?

Thanks
jdd
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#42]

@Texsylvanian
So I have been running the 2.04s out to 200, maybe 300 sometimes, same as I was with my lower 1/3s.  These 2,04s are all on pistols/SBRs.  I am switching my Razor and Accupoint 1-4 w/ traingle post to 1.93 ASAP.  You know your dope, you hit you targets.  I HAVE FOUND ONLY BENEFITS TO HIGHER MOUNTS.  They have allowed me to shoot NV much better and  in my heads up, square on run and gun training, I have definitely become more able to square up when firing and increase my times.  You have to get used to the cheek weld, but that did not take long. It actually feels more natural than my lower 1/3 cheek weld.  I was unsure, but now I'm sold.

Best of luck.  I recommend making the transition, I believe you'll find it a very natural one.

best regards
jdd
View Quote

@Texsylvanian

I would like to echo this here. I have had no issues shooting my 2.04 height mount out to 400. Some people have slight parallax issues because it is slightly harder to index your face in the same spot depending on your stock and your physiology. I view this as something that can mostly be worked on with practice mounting to the new height. I actually got so used to the higher up head position that my dedicated precision guns with 1.375” mounts promptly were switched to 1.57” mounts. It just felt too unnatural to have my head lower.

If you were prone for hours and your scope is a 3-18 or higher top end, I would not go for a high mount. But if it has a 1x on the bottom, there are only performance increases with higher mounting.

Physiologically, 1.7, 1.93, 2.04, 1.5 on a 5/8 riser, etc Only one of those might feel “just right” compared to the others. Irregardless of which “higher” height you choose, you will have less neck strain, you will be more fluid up close, and you will gain performance after getting used to it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#43]

@Brok3n
hey brother,
Nice gun!  Where did you get the grey lower?  Is it Anodized?  Type1 or 2?  
I am trying hard to find a Geissele grey Super Duty Lower but I'm having a hard time.  Might need to look at other options.  I have tried trading a 10-5 grey MK16 rail, all kinds of other perts, no luck.  Can't find one to buy..Anyway, what is Yours?  How do you like it?

Thanks
jdd
View Quote

Hey man, it's just a plain jane PSA lower that was cerakote'd in Battleship Gray by the gents at Mk3 Firearms in Las Vegas. The cerakote has held up for thousands of rounds with no issues. I recommend finding a cerakote expert in the local area and just having them paint a stripped lower of your choice.

It's hard to find anything gun related right now
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#44]
These are our Go-To firearms. Everyone one of them has been vetted and everyone assembled by me for me and my wife and daughter. I love all of them but the third pic down is my absolute favorite. Mega matching receiver set with Noveske barrel, Centurion rail etc... all are made with premium branded parts.

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By French1966:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/496867/DD4C8610-11B2-4236-ADED-8E42BD2569EC_jpe-1522526.JPG

1 of 2 “go-to” rifles

This one fills more of the medium range role. My other (14.5in) is my absolute go-to rifle. Having trouble getting a good picture of it though
View Quote

Do you have a spacer on your VCOG?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#46]

@Texsylvanian

best regards
jdd
View Quote

@M-4matus

I think I will.  Worst case scenario, if I don’t like it they are in vogue so I can sell a mount quickly.  I can definitely relate to not wanting to cam my head down into the optic as much.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Aero Precision X15 lower; Daniel Defense DDM4V7 upper; BCM SOPMOD Mod 1 stock; Magpul K2 Grip and rail covers; Streamlight HL-X in Arisaka inline scout mount; LaRue MBT-2S; Trijicon MRO in LaRue LT849; Magpul MBUS; Blue Force Gear padded Vickers sling. For now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#48]

@Texsylvanian

I would like to echo this here. I have had no issues shooting my 2.04 height mount out to 400. Some people have slight parallax issues because it is slightly harder to index your face in the same spot depending on your stock and your physiology. I view this as something that can mostly be worked on with practice mounting to the new height. I actually got so used to the higher up head position that my dedicated precision guns with 1.375” mounts promptly were switched to 1.57” mounts. It just felt too unnatural to have my head lower.

If you were prone for hours and your scope is a 3-18 or higher top end, I would not go for a high mount. But if it has a 1x on the bottom, there are only performance increases with higher mounting.

Physiologically, 1.7, 1.93, 2.04, 1.5 on a 5/8 riser, etc Only one of those might feel “just right” compared to the others. Irregardless of which “higher” height you choose, you will have less neck strain, you will be more fluid up close, and you will gain performance after getting used to it.
View Quote

@rbutcher
I am going to try the 1.93.  I THINK the mounts I have right now are 1.54.  I am short (5’8”) so 2.04 might be a bit tall for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#49]

@rbutcher
I am going to try the 1.93.  I THINK the mounts I have right now are 1.54.  I am short (5’8”) so 2.04 might be a bit tall for me.
View All Quotes

@Texsylvanian

@rbutcher

@Texsylvanian
I dont know man?  I agree, LPVO- 1.93 is probably best,  but I really don't think height is a factor at all.  I believe that you would find that your stance would change...but I don't think a 2.04 (especially on an aimpoint or the like) would be too high for you at all.  

For me it was just a change in cheek weld, I believe that would be the same in your case as well.  Also, once I became efficient with them, my times went down.

I look at it like this.  My Son is 6.  He can shoot My AR Pistols, lower 1/3, 2.04, doesn't matter.  His chin is his fourth point of contact.  He can't shoot an AR Rifle because his arms are too short to get him into a positive "cheek weld"...On shorties, you can post off your chest if you want.  So you might hold the gun differently than with a lower1/3, but your line of sight will be good, it's just that you'll have a different cheek weld.  IMO!

Good luck brother
jdd
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#50]
This is mounted on a Colt SOCOM w/a LMT SOPMOD and found this optic pretty darn decent transitioning from 4X to 1X...the LMT stock really lends to a good cheek weld too.  

I took this and my Colt 6520 to the range yesterday (up drills)...I had a greater hit ratio w/the RMR than with "irons" shooting steel @ 75, 100 and 150 yards.

Page / 61
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top