Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
8/8/2022 10:46:25 AM EDT
Any feedback by current owners or shooters that have been exposed to one? Thoughts positive or negative?
8/8/2022 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#1]
A++
8/8/2022 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
GTG
8/8/2022 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had two. Both came with carbine buffers and semi BCG's. The gas key staking on both BCG's was sub-standard. I asked via email and phone calls as to why they chose this configuration. They never answered. I was curious if they had done some testing that validated this combination vs an H buffer and FA BCG. I visited them at SHOT numerous times and all they would say is,"That's how we do it." It was verified by an industry insider that the above was a cost cutting decision. Both of the guns were reliable and ran, but I was concerned by the GK staking. I sent pictures to LMT asking if the staking was appropriate. All was good they said.

After approximately 600 rounds the gas keys were loose and the front bolts were backing out. I again spoke to someone at LMT. His response was that it was a "field fix." He told me to tighten the bolt and "hit it with a screwdriver." He also said if I sent it to them that's all they would do and I would be without my BCG for at least three weeks. I asked him about sealing for the key, proper torque for the bolts and checking for a sheared bolt. His response was again, "it is a field fix. Tighten the bolt and hit it with a screwdriver."

Needless to say, I was not impressed with LMT nor their CS. I bought appropriate gas key bolts and sealed and installed them and since I have a staking tool, I staked them. Since then, the guns have been reliable and run well. Due to my experience, the LMT's mostly sit in my gun safe and are at best range toys. Originally I bought them to be HD guns. In comparing them to my colts, especially my 6920, I believe the colt to be a better overall gun.

YMMV. Cheers, Steve
8/8/2022 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one that is a few years old that I Form 1’d. Other than working through proper buffer weight issues, zero issues with mine.
8/8/2022 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a lower. It's basic, but works. 2 stage trigger is pretty decent, but (from what I remember) has a longer rolling break compared to a Geissele SSA.
8/8/2022 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a police surplus defender 2000 spm16. It was a perfectly fine rifle and despite who knows how much use and abuse it ran like a sewing machine. Eventually got rid of it because the dollars I could get for it were significantly more than I paid and I had already switched over to their MARS/MRP line. I did pick up a stripped defender 2000 lower last year it works perfectly.
8/9/2022 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
GTG
8/9/2022 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
A+++

One of the best ARs I own!
8/9/2022 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My older ones are sublime. Ive got a 2008 era 14.5 set up as a Block II that will throw black hills into an inch. Ive still got some BCGs with the MIM keys and cracked staking… still working.

Best standard bolt money can buy.
8/9/2022 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:


Best standard bolt money can buy.
View Quote
that radius cut behind the lugs

LMT is good stuff
8/9/2022 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend bought one used for $600 in CA during the recent Floyd and covid panics. I was jealous. It's a really good shooter but his wife claimed that one for her so he had to go back a month later and get a BCM for himself
8/10/2022 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:
A friend bought one used for $600 in CA during the recent Floyd and covid panics. I was jealous. It's a really good shooter but his wife claimed that one for her so he had to go back a month later and get a BCM for himself
View Quote


What does a Kali Kompliant LMT look like?
8/10/2022 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:


What does a Kali Kompliant LMT look like?
View Quote

It had some CA aids on it, that bullet button replacement garbage where the mag could not fall and had to be reloaded by shotgunning the upper in order to reach in and load the 10 round magazine.

The rest of it was unneutered. I guess by that "feature" being there they could have the rest of the rifle not be besmirched. I don't understand any of it but I'm glad that I was a part of it's removal.
8/10/2022 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably the best AR ever made…….yea LMT is that good
8/10/2022 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been running LMT since early 2000’s and have never had issues. I would put the at top tier level. Seen some abused and keep running with no issues ( Gov / LE Tac team use - not cruiser queens) .

I ‘ve read of a period of some QC issues, but I think that was limited to a certain time frame. Everyone has issues as one time or another, it’s about consistency.

I have not had to use their CS in a long time, but am surprised with the above with an “oh well” attitude. Gene S is / was the man there ( if he is still there )
8/12/2022 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had mine for many years. Still has the old IL address on it.

Has been an awesome gun.
8/14/2022 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]

I had an early model Defender 2000 M4 16 inch barrel way back in 2005 (serial number LMT 30XXX), it worked great for me for around more than 10 years but I sold it because I wanted another model of another brand.

Back in 2005 LMT did not sell complete rifles, they sold them separately the upper half and the lower half, that's how I bought mine.

Mine came with a M4 waffle type stock and TangoDown grip, I also bought the optional LMT fixed adjustable rear sight.

They're good to go, very reliable and I would highly recommend them.
8/14/2022 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/HIGD7qo.jpg
I had an early model Defender 2000 M4 16 inch barrel way back in 2005 (serial number LMT 30XXX), it worked great for me for around more than 10 years but I sold it because I wanted another model of another brand.

Back in 2005 LMT did not sell complete rifles, they sold them separately the upper half and the lower half, that's how I bought mine.

Mine came with a M4 waffle type stock and TangoDown grip, I also bought the optional LMT fixed adjustable rear sight.

They're good to go, very reliable and I would highly recommend them.
View Quote

That LT110 riser looks absolutely perfect for my own Eotech needs. I'll probably have a shop mill that rear raised rail portion off of it though, so that I can use a magnifier without problems.
8/14/2022 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
GTG.
8/15/2022 2:47:21 AM EDT
[#20]

This was the configuration when I sold my LMT carbine back in 2016 with Magpul MOE furniture, LMT tactical charging handle, LMT full auto BCG and LMT H buffer.

Quote History
Quoted:

That LT110 riser looks absolutely perfect for my own Eotech needs. I'll probably have a shop mill that rear raised rail portion off of it though, so that I can use a magnifier without problems.
View Quote

Larue didn't actually fully developed their EOTech mounts, I wish they should have just made a simple 7mm riser with QD lever only as short as the compact EOTech models so their LaRue LT755-S-EO EOTech 3X magnifier could be used behind the red dot riser.
8/15/2022 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#21]
After DD, I'd grab an LMT w/o question.

8/17/2022 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A++
View Quote

Quoted:
GTG
View Quote


My first AR was the Defender 2000 with SOPMOD and tactical rear sight.

I made it my first SBR as well and run a 10.5" MRP upper on it now.
8/17/2022 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I put one together sometime around 2008. I say put together because at the time LMT wouldn't sell complete firearms to civilians. So I purchased a complete LMT lower and an LMT barreled upper and then waited a few months for LMT to send me a bolt and charging handle that I ordered from them. Had the unit armored check headspace once I had everything assembled. So while it wasn't sold as a whole LMT gun its LMT through and through. Absolutely the least reliable gun I own. If it makes it through 20 rounds without an issue it's doing well. It's got maybe 300 rounds through it. LMT wasn't interested in trying to fix it.
8/17/2022 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:
I put one together sometime around 2008. I say put together because at the time LMT wouldn't sell complete firearms to civilians. So I purchased a complete LMT lower and an LMT barreled upper and then waited a few months for LMT to send me a bolt and charging handle that I ordered from them. Had the unit armored check headspace once I had everything assembled. So while it wasn't sold as a whole LMT gun its LMT through and through. Absolutely the least reliable gun I own. If it makes it through 20 rounds without an issue it's doing well. It's got maybe 300 rounds through it. LMT wasn't interested in trying to fix it.
View Quote


Oh boy.  This one could get traction.

You put it together and it's not working.  You believe it's an issue with LMT parts.
8/17/2022 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Quoted:
I put one together sometime around 2008. I say put together because at the time LMT wouldn't sell complete firearms to civilians. So I purchased a complete LMT lower and an LMT barreled upper and then waited a few months for LMT to send me a bolt and charging handle that I ordered from them. Had the unit armored check headspace once I had everything assembled. So while it wasn't sold as a whole LMT gun its LMT through and through. Absolutely the least reliable gun I own. If it makes it through 20 rounds without an issue it's doing well. It's got maybe 300 rounds through it. LMT wasn't interested in trying to fix it.
View Quote

You had the what inspect to check headspace?
8/17/2022 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:


Oh boy.  This one could get traction.

You put it together and it's not working.  You believe it's an issue with LMT parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:


Oh boy.  This one could get traction.

You put it together and it's not working.  You believe it's an issue with LMT parts.


I put a bolt into a carrier into an upper and then put the upper on a lower. That is as much as I had to do with assembly. There were no parts kits involved.


Quoted:

You had the what inspect to check headspace?


Armorer. He had gauges and I did not.
9/2/2022 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Quoted:


Oh boy.  This one could get traction.

You put it together and it's not working.  You believe it's an issue with LMT parts.
View Quote


Why not?  I've had issues with LMT parts before.

Had an extractor out of a so called enhanced bolt fail catastrophically on me.  It was obviously machined wrong after comparing it to other functioning extractors.  I also currently have a lower that indexes the selector lever wonky no matter what or who's selector I put in there.

It functions fine and this rifle is still my number one gun.  Probably will be for some time to come.

Shit happens.
9/2/2022 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:
I have a lower. It's basic, but works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
I have a lower. It's basic, but works.

Yup.




Quoted:
2 stage trigger is pretty decent,

I guess that depends upon your definition of "pretty decent."

...
9/10/2022 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
A+++

One of the best ARs I own!
View Quote

9/10/2022 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
The Defender 2000 is almost on par with Colt. LMT does not parkerize the barrel before FSB installing leaving bare steel underneath and they use straight pins on the FSB which will be a bitch to get out.
9/11/2022 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:
The Defender 2000 is almost on par with Colt. LMT does not parkerize the barrel before FSB installing leaving bare steel underneath and they use straight pins on the FSB which will be a bitch to get out.
View Quote


They claim they don't park that area on purpose, they claim doing that gives them a "tighter seal" for the gas.  Agree or disagree, that's what they claim.  Not sure on the rational behind the straight pins.
9/15/2022 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I have two Def2k. One is a factory SBR MRP. One is a 16" MRP.

They will only drop free about 10% of G2 Pmags.

Window'd Pmags and USGI mags no prob.

My colts, centurions, and Aero's? No issues across the board. Absolutely ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.
9/18/2022 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
I have two Def2k. One is a factory SBR MRP. One is a 16" MRP.

They will only drop free about 10% of G2 Pmags.

Window'd Pmags and USGI mags no prob.

My colts, centurions, and Aero's? No issues across the board. Absolutely ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote


Gen2 PMAGs fit tight in a lot of guns.
9/18/2022 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have thousands through my MARS-L with enhanced BCG. Love the gun. No complaints. Very good suppressed.
9/18/2022 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:
The Defender 2000 is almost on par with Colt. LMT does not parkerize the barrel before FSB installing leaving bare steel underneath and they use straight pins on the FSB which will be a bitch to get out.
View Quote


This reads like a scripted response to the "chart"
9/24/2022 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I pieced together a 14.5 P/W build in 2014. Barreled upper receiver (that came without FSB drilled and pinned), FA BCG (with the roughest sandpaper texture I've ever seen), and complete lower receiver. Gas key loosened up after several thousand rounds. Other than that, it has been extremely reliable and "strangely" accurate. I attribute the increased accuracy to the cryo barrel process. I find it weird that their guns are so hit and miss, especially since the markup price is, or was, because of their so called QC process.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor