Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2014 3:22:15 AM EDT
Like the title says...I am looking for a good set of folding BUIS.  These will go on my latest AR. I have owned Magpul before but looking for possibly a set of metal....or maybe Magpul again.

A few years back, from what I read, Troy was the gold standard.  Is this still the case?  I read recently where someone was really bashing Troy, but could have been a one off disgruntled person.

As with all BUIS, will be used as last resort.  These will go in front and back of an Aimpoint.  Believe it or not, the best BUIS I had in the past were made by ARMS.  These were real nice.  Not sure if they are still in business.  Would like to get some of this quality.  Magpul is the lighter and less costly option.

Any adviser will be welcomed.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 4:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul Pro are metal...

and KAC are nice.

And even though we are supposedly anti-Troy here now the Troy sights are nice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Midwest Inds. make good product. I run them on two of my carbines.

Fastfoot
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
ARMS is still around.

No imput on who makes the best, only own one rear ARMS 40 or 40-L cant recall which
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magpul Pro are metal...

and KAC are nice.

View Quote

I just researched what you were talking about, and now I'm not gonna buy that troy front sight for my new Adams Arms. I'm gonna research the magpul pro(which I didn't know about). Thanks for the heads up.

...that said, after reading all that, I'm in a bad mood, and feel bad, lol.

I gotta get an all metal front sight for a piston gas block so I'm looking for the cheapest "high quality" folding one I can get. The PSA one looks like it but they are out of stock. Next was 80 bucks on a Troy, but it seems I just can't win for losing on my choices.

After this, I'm going with these options:

Shopping Cart Items to buy now Quantity Price

Magpul Gen 2 MBUS Rear Flip Sight, Black - Magpul Industries
$51.15

Magpul Industries MBUS Pro, Back-Up Sight, Front, Black - Magpul Industries
$59.78

Subtotal: $110.93

Gives me the all metal front sight for gas block usage on the same plane as the standard rail, doesn't break the bank either. Back is flip, font is folding I believe. Plus no extra money to spend on the troy font sight tool, front sight on this adjust elevation with a built in nut on a detent, similar to adjustments on a PRS stock.

Will combine these with an Eotech for a really fast and fun main optic and a rock solid redundant sighting system in the magpul stuff. Plan of action created, lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Magpul Pro are metal...

and KAC are nice.

View Quote

May I ask why we are anti Troy here. At one time if Troy sold dog turds wrapped in bacon everyone would buy them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Magpul MBUS Gen 2 is still my gold standard, because they are so rugged.  The do not lock in the up position, so they fold on impact and will retain zero after extreme abuse. The metal Magpul Pro works the same way.  I will not own a back up sight that locks in the up position.  They are simply too vulnerable to damage. It's when they are extended in the up position that you have decided that your life may be on the line.  That is exactly when you want them to be impervious to damage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

May I ask why we are anti Troy here. At one time if Troy sold dog turds wrapped in bacon everyone would buy them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul Pro are metal...

and KAC are nice.

The answer to your question has been deemed by mods as inappropriate for discussion here.  Go to the Industry forum, find the Troy section and read up there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The answer to your question has been deemed by mods as inappropriate for discussion here.  Go to the Industry forum, find the Troy section and read up there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul Pro are metal...

and KAC are nice.

Oh wow. Did not know that...interesting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Spikes just released their new ultra-lightweight/low profile flip sights.

They just set the new standard in that department, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do they lock in the upright position?  If so, they will not be as rugged as those which do not and which will deflect if struck by impact.  That is why I contend that the standard will be the Magpul MBUS Gen 2 polymer or the Magpul Pro steel versions, both of which will give way when struck and not bend or break off.

If the Spikes flip up sights will deflect, I'd like to know.  That could give those of us who put function over style another option.  I will never own a combat back up sight that rigidly sticks up and locked when deployed.  When the sights are up, they are most vulnerable and they are not up unless you are in an extreme situation in which failure is not an option.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do they lock in the upright position?  If so, they will not be as rugged as those which do not and which will deflect if struck by impact.  That is why I contend that the standard will be the Magpul MBUS Gen 2 polymer or the Magpul Pro steel versions, both of which will give way when struck and not bend or break off.

If the Spikes flip up sights will deflect, I'd like to know.  That could give those of us who put function over style another option.  I will never own a combat back up sight that rigidly sticks up and locked when deployed.  When the sights are up, they are most vulnerable and they are not up unless you are in an extreme situation in which failure is not an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please help me with the Magpul line...I purchased a set of the MP MOE this past weekend and only one side of the rear would release the sight. The left side tab would not work...I took them back.

Are the Gen 2s the same as the MOE?  As far as the MP Pro, no way, they looked and felt so cheap and were shinny black, Krylon gloss black.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul MBUS PRO are the new standard imo due to their size, and tool-less adjustment while not costing more than $200 for both. Plus thier not polymer which a lot of people like.

Rainier has a sell right now which is where I got mine.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do NOT lock in the upright position. Positive detents for both up and down.

The front sight post is also tapered to give a precise aiming point, a feature I like a lot.

They are very streamlined and should fit under every scope out there, even with a low mount.

Hollow Titanium mounting screws help keep the weight down.

Both front and rear are adjustable for elevation with positive detents.

I really can't say enough good things.

Competitively priced at < $200 / pair. Check 'em out: Front  /  Rear

Here's some pics I hijacked from a thread on the Spikes Industry page:

Here they are deployed on one of mine:

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They do NOT lock in the upright position. Positive detents for both up and down.

The front sight post is also tapered to give a precise aiming point, a feature I like a lot.

They are very streamlined and should fit under every scope out there, even with a low mount.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/SpikesTacticalShootingTeam/photo2-2.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/SpikesTacticalShootingTeam/photo1-1.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/shonuff_bucket/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc5fb44be.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/SpikesTacticalShootingTeam/photo2-2.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/SpikesTacticalShootingTeam/photo1-1.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/shonuff_bucket/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc5fb44be.jpg

They look pretty nice but I have one pretty significant dislike about the rear sight. I don't like how you have to remove the aperature to switch from the small to large. I know I switch from the small and large aperatures fairly regularly when I'm using irons based on the distance of my target(s), the speed at which I'm shooting and most importantly the light level. I would only buy a sight that can easily switch between the two aperatures without having to remove anything. Id end up losing the removable piece sooner than later as well....

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They look pretty nice but I have one pretty significant dislike about the rear sight. I don't like how you have to remove the aperature to switch from the small to large. I know I switch from the small and large aperatures fairly regularly when I'm using irons based on the distance of my target(s), the speed at which I'm shooting and most importantly the light level. I would only buy a sight that can easily switch between the two aperatures without having to remove anything. Id end up losing the removable piece sooner than later as....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They look pretty nice but I have one pretty significant dislike about the rear sight. I don't like how you have to remove the aperature to switch from the small to large. I know I switch from the small and large aperatures fairly regularly when I'm using irons based on the distance of my target(s), the speed at which I'm shooting and most importantly the light level. I would only buy a sight that can easily switch between the two aperatures without having to remove anything. Id end up losing the removable piece sooner than later as....

Bog +1 I just noticed that about the Spikes rear.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top