Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2024 10:53:15 PM EDT
Recently read a post about if piston operated was a fad. I don't believe it is but am finding it hard to pull the trigger (sorry re:pun) on one of the latest "fads". I've been wanting to purchase a Spear LT, as the topic states. But everywhere I turn I'm seeing things that have me pump the brakes on getting one. I know about supposed barrel flex or handguard flex and Arisaka's fix. Recently found out that the Spear puts a divot/dent in the hammer. And was thinking of just getting an upper but being it's bufferless/recoil op contained in upper, the upper doesn't flush up with standard lowers. Despite all this I can't talk myself out of one.

Do I want this short stroke, bufferless ar18ish rifle that much, I can overlook these shortcomings? I'm no Sig fanatic. I have a slight disdain for their handguns. All this and I still want a MCX Spear LT 11.5

If this wasn't such a 1st world problem I'd call in to question my mental state. So throw your best and worst at me, I can take my licks and need fresh perspectives.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#1]
I got 3 of them.  2 LTs 11.5 inch SBR, full 16 and Spear in 308.  All are fine rifles.  The 308 kicks bit more than my LMT.

The LTs  really don’t bring anything new to table.  Now Spear is bit different but if I were to do it again, not sure if I would.

Nice guns, nice looking, all function well, I like the color.  

In the end it is your money.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
They’re great guns so you can’t go wrong with them. I did part with mine and replaced it with 2 Makasi FAL/ AR rifles for the same $ but the Spear is a great option.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m a big fan of mine. I like the folding stock ability. I wish they made a 14.5 version. I also wish they had made a forward charging handle as forward charging handles are fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Sig just does too much beta testing on their customers. I bought a 2nd gen MCX shortly before they announced the LT because I thought the gen 2 was going to be their flagship product. It turns out it was just beta test gen 2. Maybe the LT will be their mainline product, maybe it won't, but there is one thing I know for a fact. Sig will claim how great it is that you can swap out barrels so easily, but then never sell anywhere near enough barrels in the barrel lengths or calibers you want in the civilian market.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top