AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1385 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Pic thread again? This was more of a.....rip eachothers heads off over the wrong bolt catch roll pin thread in its early days.
View Quote

Holy fuck Milspec is alive!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By krdt: Bustin' myths is a dirty job, but someone has to do it :\.
View Quote

The AR gods notice.  There will be a special place for you with unlimited ammo, perfect weather, no can will ever gunk up, idyllic scenery and no range has a buffer zone.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By krdt:

To be fair, there is this: https://adsinc.com/past-performance/usscom-bolt-barrel-kit/

Seems to me this is fairly conclusive proof DD barrels have been used in some capacity or another. Unless ADS is lying, which I doubt, they delivered 1,407 DD 10.3" barrels to Crane; whether they've been fielded or they're sitting in a depot somewhere, I have no idea.

Personally, I have a mild preference for DD barrels over Colt. Simply put, they are great barrels; being CHF, they probably last a bit longer, they're accurate and they have properly polished feed ramps without any Dremel monkey action. Very little not to like. That said, I'd use either one. I have a bunch of DD 10.3" barrels and I got them at a great price buying DD Mk18 URGs, so it's far more convenient for me to use them. Whether the above link proves they're "correct" or not isn't a huge motivating factor for me. But if they are, more's the better.

That being said, if DD barrels still had the old .082" gas port, I wouldn't use them. Gotta draw the line somewhere ;D.

ETA: Beat sorta... same info, different link ;p.
View Quote

I just built an AR for my step-father in July... Wouldn't run... Took the Gas Block off and measured a .081+ gas port size... Had to jumble buffers and springs to get it to run reliably... Majorly disappointed in their recent shit... YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Badger52:

The AR gods notice.  There will be a special place for you with unlimited ammo, perfect weather, no can will ever gunk up, idyllic scenery and no range has a buffer zone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That sounds about right.

Add to that, all lowers are legit 3rd pin M4A1 Govt Property marked, barrels and cans never get shot out, and a gaggle of nubile vixens as range attendants... I'd be about set :D.

Originally Posted By jmreagan:
Originally Posted By krdt:

To be fair, there is this: https://adsinc.com/past-performance/usscom-bolt-barrel-kit/

Seems to me this is fairly conclusive proof DD barrels have been used in some capacity or another. Unless ADS is lying, which I doubt, they delivered 1,407 DD 10.3" barrels to Crane; whether they've been fielded or they're sitting in a depot somewhere, I have no idea.

Personally, I have a mild preference for DD barrels over Colt. Simply put, they are great barrels; being CHF, they probably last a bit longer, they're accurate and they have properly polished feed ramps without any Dremel monkey action. Very little not to like. That said, I'd use either one. I have a bunch of DD 10.3" barrels and I got them at a great price buying DD Mk18 URGs, so it's far more convenient for me to use them. Whether the above link proves they're "correct" or not isn't a huge motivating factor for me. But if they are, more's the better.

That being said, if DD barrels still had the old .082" gas port, I wouldn't use them. Gotta draw the line somewhere ;D.

ETA: Beat sorta... same info, different link ;p.

I just built an AR for my step-father in July... Wouldn't run... Took the Gas Block off and measured a .081+ gas port size... Had to jumble buffers and springs to get it to run reliably... Majorly disappointed in their recent shit... YMMV...

Where did you source the barrel?

Assuming it wasn't purchased used, it sounds like you might have gotten some old stock. The first confirmed .070" ported DD barrel I got was inspected 03/17 and they weren't really widely available until summer/fall 2017. The 3 DD 10.3s I've gotten since have all been .070", with the most recent one direct from DD in December 2019. So, unless they've changed something recently on the sly, that's probably a pre-2017 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UndrGrndPrdcts] [#5]
My 19 barrel is .070.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Pic thread.

CQBR
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Pic thread.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50323034028_8e3628d304_h.jpgCQBR
View Quote

Sexy
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
https://i.imgur.com/KxheRy3h.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:
Any leads on DD or colt 10.3 barrels
View Quote

sure. how much do you want to pay?

super happy i overbought colt barrels in the last 2 years. 14.5 socom's are nowhere to be found now as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 36trap] [#12]
---
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#13]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

Still waiting on yours to get spray bombed.
Eta: 1k lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Wouldn't be a bad idea lol.
https://i.imgur.com/83qgNaJ.jpg

Admittedly, I used to be on the bandwagon of throwing shade at Nx8's. The comments about eyebox are overblown and most likely stem from dude's not actually using the optic mounted on a rifle. (I'm guilty of it.)
I've used/sold both a Kahles K16i and Razor 1-6 E in favor of an NX8.
There is truth that the NX8's eyebox/1x capability is slightly "lower" compared to the Kahles/Razor offerings, but as you mentioned there are some trade offs getting a scope with a smaller footprint on a rifle. The NX8 is 100% usable and pairs very well with a 10.3 offering.

Razors are awesome. Just keep in mind about the weight penalty.
17oz to 21oz doesn't sound alot on paper, but if your adding lights/lasers/suppressors you'll feel the difference on the rifle. (Keep in mind that is without a quality mount)
View Quote

I went with a Razor... had a line on a NS but it sold so picked up a Razor... if the weight winds up being an issue I'll move it to something else and look at NF again. I've run it with a Elcan previously so should be similar I suppose... but yeah a bit heavy :).  Will run an LT104 at first, maybe switch to a  Geissele SOPMOD mount later if I can find one.

b/c pic thread....

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

I went with a Razor... had a line on a NS but it sold so picked up a Razor... if the weight winds up being an issue I'll move it to something else and look at NF again. I've run it with a Elcan previously so should be similar I suppose... but yeah a bit heavy :).  Will run an LT104 at first, maybe switch to a  Geissele SOPMOD mount later if I can find one.

b/c pic thread....

https://i.imgur.com/kDi7VK3h.jpg

View Quote

For guys running personally owned Razors, the LaRue is the most common mount from what I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TNW:

For guys running personally owned Razors, the LaRue is the most common mount from what I’ve seen.
View Quote

I would say the Geissele mount is more commonly seen mated up to a Razor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

I would say the Geissele mount is more commonly seen mated up to a Razor.
View Quote

Maybe. I’m just going off of personal experience. If you’re talking about issued optics then I’d say you’re right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:25:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#18]
I'm certainly in no rush to jump to the Geissele mount, for one it's ridiculously overpriced imo, and I've got Larue mounts on everything pretty every AR I have other than my MK12's and have been happy with them - so will welcome saving the money :).  Larue is all over the place ITW so I feel comfortable with it on my 18.  Maybe if I run across a nice deal or something.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Still waiting on yours to get spray bombed.
Eta: 1k lol
View Quote

Perfecting my craft, my first attempt on an old ammo can sucked. Tractor supply Camo paint isn’t the greatest.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Curious on triggers...I know a lot of SOF use the Geissele SSA/SD-C.

Is the Geissele single stage SSP trigger being used on the MK18 platform by SOF, or do they stick with the two stage trigger if they move away from the mil-spec?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

Is the Geissele single stage SSP trigger being used on the MK18 platform by SOF, or do they stick with the two stage trigger if they move away from the mil-spec?
View Quote

No. It’s only the SSF, and most lowers are standard mil-spec. Generally, the lowers with SSF’s have CTR’s, and the mil spec trigger lowers have SOPMODS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

View Quote

SSF. Those are all semi-only G triggers and wouldn't be used on Mk18s.

An SSF is essentially an SSA in semi mode and a heavy S3G pull in full auto (6lb if I recall).
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Perfecting my craft, my first attempt on an old ammo can sucked. Tractor supply Camo paint isn’t the greatest.
View Quote

Kylons tried and true.
If your feeling real fancy, you can step up to Aervoe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Kylons tried and true.
If your feeling real fancy, you can step up to Aervoe.
View Quote

Aervoe is the sh$t, but has a longer flash/drying time...  actually flash time between coats is probably fine, but I found the final drying time takes over 24 hours...  It's dry to touch but still has that soft/cold/not cured feel to it till the next day.  That's in FL, so humidity might be part of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Creature] [#25]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Aervoe is the sh$t, but has a longer flash/drying time...  actually flash time between coats is probably fine, but I found the final drying time takes over 24 hours...  It's dry to touch but still has that soft/cold/not cured feel to it till the next day.  That's in FL, so humidity might be part of it.
View Quote

I give all my aervoe jobs a full week of hanging on hooks to really cure right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Perfecting my craft, my first attempt on an old ammo can sucked. Tractor supply Camo paint isn't the greatest.
View Quote
Perfection is for losers. Crack a beer and send it. Shit, I thought about repainting mine to a MC pattern to actually match my environment which would put me at painting my rifle more than i've shot it since I came home to a pandemic/ ammo shortage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]

No. It's only the SSF, and most lowers are standard mil-spec. Generally, the lowers with SSF's have CTR's, and the mil spec trigger lowers have SOPMODS.wh y
View Quote
why would stocks dictate triggers or vice versa??? doesn't make sense
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Figured y'all would like this.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By allensaldi:
Figured y'all would like this.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50327901518_63befcf2a1_o.jpg
View Quote
I'm not a cloner (just a fan) but that is art, sir.
Holy Katz.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNW] [#31]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
why would stocks dictate triggers or vice versa??? doesn't make sense
View Quote

The stock doesn’t dictate anything, that’s just how they come from the armory. Some are sent out as DMR lowers that guys also throw their 10.3” uppers on. The DMR lowers have CTR’s. The regular lowers have SOPMODS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Holy Katz.
View Quote

I have a more universal wrench too. Should work on anything Surefire that has flats and anything 3/4"

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#33]

I have a more universal wrench too. Should work on anything Surefire that has flats and anything 3/4"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50328834697_008d524595_o.jpg
View All Quotes
Holy Katz.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50328834697_008d524595_o.jpg

Very nice wrenches.  Just moved back to BAF.

CD
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#34]

The stock doesn’t dictate anything, that’s just how they come from the armory. Some are sent out as DMR lowers that guys also throw their 10.3” uppers on. The DMR lowers have CTR’s. The regular lowers have SOPMODS.
View Quote

There are no longer DMR lowers.  They are all M4A1 or Mk18s in service.  Stocks are whatever the individual puts and leaves on it.  Standard stock that was issued were either Colt N1 or waffle stocks.  CTRs and SOPMOD are unit purchased.  As far as triggers go its either standard USGI or SSF.  SSA were available when the Mk11 when in service as those normally would not be fired in full auto.  Don't remember even if they had the third pin.  SSF are normally upgraded by either the unit or Crane/SOCOM armorer (me)

CD
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:12:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNW] [#35]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

There are no longer DMR lowers.  They are all M4A1 or Mk18s in service.  Stocks are whatever the individual puts and leaves on it.  Standard stock that was issued were either Colt N1 or waffle stocks.  CTRs and SOPMOD are unit purchased.  As far as triggers go its either standard USGI or SSF.  SSA were available when the Mk11 when in service as those normally would not be fired in full auto.  Don't remember even if they had the third pin.  SSF are normally upgraded by either the unit or Crane/SOCOM armorer (me)

CD
View Quote

May be different on your side of the house. Not army here. We swap around stocks, but prior to turn in they need to be how they were originally issued. Zero N1 or waffle stocks here. We still have DMR lowers. Have the books to prove it
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#36]

May be different on your side of the house. Not army here. We swap around stocks, but prior to turn in they need to be how they were originally issued. Zero N1 or waffle stocks here. We still have DMR lowers. Have the books to prove it
View Quote

Then we'll agree to disagree that it depends on the service and unit.

CD
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Then we'll agree to disagree that it depends on the service and unit.

CD
View Quote

Absolutely. I have no idea how it works on the Army side of the house.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#38]

CD
View Quote

I would love to see some "in action" pics of block 0 MK18 with N1 stocks to justify my clone in the works. I don't think I've seen one in the hands of a real-world user, just the couple in that picture on the last page of the pile of guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By shadeone:

I would love to see some "in action" pics of block 0 MK18 with N1 stocks to justify my clone in the works. I don't think I've seen one in the hands of a real-world user, just the couple in that picture on the last page of the pile of guns.
View Quote

One I assembled and used down range.  Course I'm just a contractor now.
Attachment Attached File

Tale of two uppers.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Very nice wrenches.  Just moved back to BAF.

CD
View Quote

I'll have to send some your way!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the clarification on the triggers CD, TNW, & krdt!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#42]

I'll have to send some your way!
View Quote

IM sent

CD
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Clone uppers are complete. CQBR Block II lower is on its way to get engraved and the Holland lower still needs built lol.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

super happy i overbought colt barrels in the last 2 years. 14.5 socom's are nowhere to be found now as well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Originally Posted By hatexoc:
Any leads on DD or colt 10.3 barrels

Brownells has Colt 10.3's FSB in stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Please forgive the AAC can
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#46]
Originally Posted By PirateEC:
https://i.postimg.cc/bwtNgy9t/IMG-1190.jpg

Please forgive the AAC can
View Quote

No CQB endplate? Look... The MK18 has 37 pieces of flair... You're coming into the thread with like 35. What kind of example does that set? I'm not going to send you home or anything... I'd just appreciate you taking more pride in your cloning from this point forward.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

No CQB endplate? Look... The MK18 has 37 pieces of flair... You're coming into the thread with like 35. What kind of example does that set? I'm not going to send you home or anything... I'd just appreciate you taking more pride in your cloning from this point forward.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/76CEB12E-4500-420A-A2AB-AA8137929199_jpe-1588207.JPG
View Quote

Outstanding

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DBrock07:

Brownells has Colt 10.3's FSB in stock at the moment.
View Quote

They have to be huffing glue at those prices.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1385 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top