AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 269
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By S-1:

LOL

I'm surprised it wasn't some dude saying that the GBRS mount is only for airsofters and LARPing
View Quote

Well it is, sooooooo
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know if new production DDC MK16 rails are coming with the steel QD inserts?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TacticalDentite:
Does anyone know if new production DDC MK16 rails are coming with the steel QD inserts?
View Quote

It was mentioned that they stopped putting the inserts on the MK16 handguards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Aside from the Kac 300m buis, are there any other “correct” buis that fit under the razor in the vortex Geissele mount?  I know the Matech does not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:
Aside from the Kac 300m buis, are there any other "correct" buis that fit under the razor in the vortex Geissele mount?  I know the Matech does not.
View Quote
magpul offset pros
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Aside from the Kac 300m buis, are there any other “correct” buis that fit under the razor in the vortex Geissele mount?  I know the Matech does not.
View Quote

You could also do the clone correct and budget friendly option of no buis.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TacticalDentite:
View Quote

I just bought one and no inserts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mmmboats:

Well it is, sooooooo
View Quote

I've seen it on a few SOF guns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

View Quote

Then I will have a lonely taupe Kac front sight...
Been wanting to move the razor back to my Urgi, and move my exps to something else.  The exps3-0 was nice because I have the matech buis to pair with it.  But I think the razor just fits this upper more.

I need to stop playing musical optics
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Been wanting to move the razor back to my Urgi, and move my exps to something else.  The exps3-0 was nice because I have the matech buis to pair with it.  But I think the razor just fits this upper more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The Razor does go nicely.  I run a Razor in a C1 mount, started with 1.7 then swapped to 1.93, both of which clear a Matech.  However I’ve decided I’m not a fan of 1.93 and want to go back to 1.7.  

The leftover taupe front is a perfect excuse to build a 10.3 or 11.5 and run a T2 on a Unity with its built in rear sight.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:35:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#11]

The Razor does go nicely.  I run a Razor in a C1 mount, started with 1.7 then swapped to 1.93, both of which clear a Matech.  However I’ve decided I’m not a fan of 1.93 and want to go back to 1.7.  

The leftover taupe front is a perfect excuse to build a 10.3 or 11.5 and run a T2 on a Unity with its built in rear sight.  

https://i.imgur.com/1vMGH13.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RuTkrXl.jpg
View Quote

Setups are very nice.

ETA: What camera are you using for the photos?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:08:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boduke0220] [#12]
Seals using the URGI

Untitled by Trey Brown, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know if guys are still using razors, or are they largely being replaced by atacrs? I know we are seeing a lot of atacrs being used lately.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By doolz:

Setups are very nice.

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/1vMGH13.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RuTkrXl.jpg

Setups are very nice.

iPhone 12 and good lighting for those
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Boduke0220:
Seals using the URGI

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52650611188_7a1c610b6e_c.jpgUntitled by Trey Brown, on Flickr
View Quote

I saw that this morning and thought the same thing. First time I recall SEALs using them
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

I saw that this morning and thought the same thing. First time I recall SEALs using them
View All Quotes
Seals using the URGI

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52650611188_7a1c610b6e_c.jpgUntitled by Trey Brown, on Flickr

Looks like SOCOM has adopted the 14.5" RIS III URG-I. Guess I need to update the title and 1st post.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Seals using the URGI

There's pics of them with 11.5s.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#18]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Looks like SOCOM has adopted the 14.5" RIS III URG-I. Guess I need to update the title and 1st post.
View All Quotes
Seals using the URGI

Remember that photo of the URGI sitting on top of the pelican case in a classroom with the ATACR, Magpul buis, and PRS stock from a couple of years ago?

I was told by somebody that that particular rifle was for the teams.

ETA: This one

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

Remember that photo of the URGI sitting on top of the pelican case in a classroom with the ATACR, Magpul buis, and PRS stock from a couple of years ago?

View Quote

I need to look back through but there has been COTS uppers (full Geissele with their gas block) issued out over the past few years. It's hard to tell what is what.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35055/urg-i_3_png-2059556-2686114.png

View Quote
Isnt this photo a few years old? I've always figured this was taken at CRANE hence the navy esq lower.

You'd think that if they have them this whole time we would've have more photos then these from group 2. (Is that a training unit?)
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Isnt this photo a few years old? I've always figured this was taken at CRANE hence the navy esq lower.

You'd think that if they have them this whole time we would've have more photos then these from group 2. (Is that a training unit?)
View Quote

I think it was originally posted mid 2018? it was one of the first ITW urgi pics if i remember correctly
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35055/urg-i_3_png-2059556-2686114.png

I was told this one was heading to the teams way back when.

But then we started seeing virtually the same setup (a recce/spr type rifle) except with the leupy and old RIS II.

I just assumed they ended up sticking with the RIS II.

Maybe they did, but then changed course? not sure.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I think we may be seeing them testing the URG-I versus a full adoption by all of SOCOM.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]

I was told this one was heading to the teams way back when.

But then we started seeing virtually the same setup (a recce/spr type rifle) except with the leupy and old RIS II.

I just assumed they ended up sticking with the RIS II.

Maybe they did, but then changed course? not sure.

View Quote
Those setups (mk6 and RIs II) have been around for awhile. There is a bunch of pictures of them from the battle of Mosul in 2016
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Dumb question.  Why is it referred to as the RIS III?  Are they not using the mk16 rail?

Atleast now I feel better about using my CQD and KAC 300m buis
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#27]
Dumb question.  Why is it referred to as the RIS III?  Are they not using the mk16 rail?

Atleast now I feel better about using my CQD and KAC 300m buis
https://i.imgur.com/Hjwz6P0.jpg
View Quote

RIS was made by Knight's Armament
RIS II was made by Daniel Defense
RIS III is apparently being made by Geissele (Geissele called it the MK16 years before the Navy called it the RIS III)
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:28:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#28]

RIS was made by Knight's Armament
RIS II was made by Daniel Defense
RIS III is apparently being made by Geissele (Geissele called it the MK16 years before the Navy called it the RIS III)
View Quote
Where has the navy called it RIS III?

looking up the URG-I kits nsn, they haven't been purchased in 5 years

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Why does the thread title have RIS-III in it now?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Why does the thread title have RIS-III in it now?
View Quote

See the 2nd and 3rd post above yours. Also because pez's thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#31]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

View Quote
None of those posts offer any evidence to their being a NSW wide adoption let alone a SOCOM wide adoption. RIS III is not mentioned in any of the NSNs when you search URG-I parts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
View Quote
Sure.

Looking through various NSN lookup websites and public contract listings it doesn't specifically mention "RIII", it just mentions the standard "URGI" verbiage.
It's like calling the URGI, the "Block III" (I'm sure those that have been following since the beginning remember lol)

Not being argumentative, just wanting clarification on where it's coming from.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
Sure.

Looking through various NSN lookup websites and public contract listings it doesn't specifically mention "RIII", it just mentions the standard "URGI" verbiage.
It's like calling the URGI, the "Block III" (I'm sure those that have been following since the beginning remember lol)

View Quote
I'm being argumentative.

(kidding)
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
Sure.

View Quote

Correct, Block III is not a thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I just answered the simple question of why the title was changed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I was under the impression that the hand guards names were given by the manufacturer, not military designations.  

Daniel Defense recently released an mlok hand guard named the RIS III which uses the same barrel nut and bolt up plate as the RIS II.  The rifle itself is named the RIII but the rail is in fact called the RIS III.  I find it very unlikely that the Navy would give the Geissele rail the designation of RIS III.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I was under the impression that the hand guards names were given by the manufacturer, not military designations.  

Daniel Defense recently released an mlok hand guard named the RIS III which uses the same barrel nut and bolt up plate as the RIS II.  The rifle itself is named the RIII but the rail is in fact called the RIS III.  I find it very unlikely that the Navy would give the Geissele rail the designation of RIS III.
View Quote

And the Mk16 is a 5.56mm rifle made by FN. Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#38]

And the Mk16 is a 5.56mm rifle made by FN. Interesting.
View Quote
It's not in inventory anymore though.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

RIS II was called RIS II before DD was selected. The program managers gave it that name, which came from the original Knights RIS (RIS was the early RAS that did not have the clamp lock thingy)

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#40]

RIS II was called RIS II before DD was selected. The program managers gave it that name, which came from the original Knights RIS (RIS was the early RAS that did not have the clamp lock thingy)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35055/ris_ii_navsea-2687722.png
View All Quotes

Well I stand corrected
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#41]

Well I stand corrected
View All Quotes

Well I stand corrected

Keep in mind I'm not saying they have a new rail and are calling it the RIS III.

Just saying the name is in line with Crane-speak.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#42]
Just found this story.

Crane awarded a $9.1 million contract for DD URGI barrels last year

A lot of barrels

Either they are cranking out new URG-I's or M855A1 is really that terrible to barrels
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Does anyone know if guys are still using razors, or are they largely being replaced by atacrs? I know we are seeing a lot of atacrs being used lately.
View Quote

I have a personal Razor on mine but we don't have anymore Razors or Atacrs in our armsroom, only Sig's now. I can't speak for others so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#44]
It's not in inventory anymore though.

View Quote

There's Mk17 with 5.56mm conversions in use.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#45]
@combat_diver

Have you heard anything about further URG-I adoption?

I remember a while back you mentioned the rails were noted as consumable and that the mk16 was to be thrown out and only used as  supplies last. Is that still true? (I may be miss remembering cause this was awhile ago.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#47]
There is too much autism in here
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TBone556:
There is too much autism in here
View Quote
It's a clone thread, what'd you expect?
Details matter.

Go create a block iii thread to get away from it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#49]
The SureFire 4 prong isn't supposed to be aligned in any specific direction correct?

I had a Warcomp timed to 12 o'clock and got a hold of the 4 prong and it felt weird just threading it on without any need to actuate it.

If this is a dumb post I apologize... legit question for the time being.

ETA: Just watched a few videos.... I picked up the 4 prong from the EE but it didn't come with any shims or washer.

Is the 4 prong supposed to be timed?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 12:11:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#50]
The SureFire 4 prong isn't supposed to be aligned in any specific direction correct?

I had a Warcomp timed to 12 o'clock and got a hold of the 4 prong and it felt weird just threading it on without any need to actuate it.

If this is a dumb post I apologize... legit question for the time being.

ETA: Just watched a few videos.... I picked up the 4 prong from the EE but it didn't come with any shims or washer.

Is the 4 prong supposed to be timed?
View Quote

Yes.

Needs the same timing as other SF devices. The index tab should be bottom dead center.

But in reality if you look at the thing, it doesn't really matter which way is up.

Definitely need the chamfered spacer/shim at bare minimum.

You can get the entire replacement shim and rocksett kits:

Click Here

Or Here
Page / 269
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top