Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1194
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

I guess a Vari-X III non-illum with FFP Premier Mildot reticle will have to do...

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/gunnut003/100_2081.jpg

ETA: before anyone asks, it is a WEAVER rail, and Unknown VORTEX rings.
View Quote
I have the Gen2 Midot in my Vari-X III and love it.

And that CAR looks pretty sweet on there. I picked up a pre-ban CAR and put in on my GenIII mod0 for shits and giggles.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
could one of you guys that have the 12th model suppressor, mock it up on a 14.5" M4 barrel so i could see how far back it goes??

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MattNificent:
could one of you guys that have the 12th model suppressor, mock it up on a 14.5" M4 barrel so i could see how far back it goes??

Thank you
View Quote

Google "ops inc 12 14.5" ...you will find some pics... I am mobile,  otherwise I would be more helpful. ..

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Google "ops inc 12 14.5" ...you will find some pics... I am mobile,  otherwise I would be more helpful. ..

http:// http://twobirdsflyingpub.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/12thsprmbs_01.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you

thanks, ive actually seen that pic, was looking for a more straight on side shot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]

thanks, ive actually seen that pic, was looking for a more straight on side shot.
View All Quotes

Thank you

It indexes back several inches from the tip of the brake. I don't have mine yet or I'd throw you some numbers.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#6]
Has anyone shot their CLE barrels yet?

I FINALLY zero'd a good scope on properly with my Mod H barrel.

Douglas CMV blank with CLE match chamber

Bottom left is hornady TAP FPD 55grn, bottom right is black hills 75grn .223 reman, and middle is mixed XM193/.223 55grn. All are 5 shot groups.

This was my first time shooting past 20 yards, and trying to shoot, in like 3 years. I want to try out some more ammo to see what this barrel likes, it seems that it likes lower grains better...maybe some 69grn match??

ETA: 100yds

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

Bottom left is hornady TAP FPD 55grn, bottom right is black hills 75grn .223 reman, and middle is mixed XM193/.223 55grn. All are 5 shot groups.

This was my first time shooting past 20 yards, and trying to shoot, in like 3 years. I want to try out some more ammo to see what this barrel likes, it seems that it likes lower grains better...maybe some 69grn match??

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dMlFqmezODI/U957Kno4ZrI/AAAAAAAAJr0/vCgqKf0pjC4/s640/2014_%25208_%25203_14_10.jpg
View Quote

What range were you shooting out to? Also, did you note which hole was your first shot, cold bore? Suppressed?

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:27:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#9]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

What range were you shooting out to? Also, did you note which hole was your first shot, cold bore? Suppressed?

View All Quotes

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dMlFqmezODI/U957Kno4ZrI/AAAAAAAAJr0/vCgqKf0pjC4/s640/2014_%25208_%25203_14_10.jpg

100yds, unsuppressed (there is no poi shift with the 12th model), and there was no cold bore shot as I fired 20 rounds at the 25yd range before moving to the 100yd for my base zero...before I got y 100yd zero.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]

100yds, unsuppressed (there is no poi shift with the 12th model), and there was no cold bore shot as I fired 20 rounds at the 25yd range before moving to the 100yd for my base zero...before I got y 100yd zero.
View All Quotes

10-4

Indoor range? If not, what were the weather conditions?

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know where I can get the black KAC 99051 front iron?? HELP !!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]

10-4

View All Quotes

10-4

Outdoor. Sunny and hot
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Outdoor. Sunny and hot
View Quote

Are you allergic to shellfish? Do you prefer tube socks, low-cuts, or no socks at all? Were you experiencing a case of the shakes from a previous night of drinking?

Okay, for cereal, measure all three of those groupings and decide if what you're aiming for is combat accuracy, or absolute precision. The two lower groupings look about the same in length; the center is obviously a little longer. In what order did you shoot those groups? In other words, did they tighten up or open up? Ideally, you shot the center group first, then lower-right, then finally the lower-left group. But you didn't do that, did you?

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Movistar] [#14]
I've looked briefly without much luck. Anyone know the overall length of the MK12 with a fixed  stock and a 12th/AEM5????

Thanks. This is the greatest thread going and now I've contracted clone whore disease : so expensive
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Are you allergic to shellfish? Do you prefer tube socks, low-cuts, or no socks at all? Were you experiencing a case of the shakes from a previous night of drinking?

Okay, for cereal, measure all three of those groupings and decide if what you're aiming for is combat accuracy, or absolute precision. The two lower groupings look about the same in length; the center is obviously a little longer. In what order did you shoot those groups? In other words, did they tighten up or open up? Ideally, you shot the center group first, then lower-right, then finally the lower-left group. But you didn't do that, did you?

View All Quotes

Outdoor. Sunny and hot

No allergies and no socks unless I'm working or hiking

The lower left group is 1.42 and lower right is 1.67. I shot middle, lower left, then lower right. My crosshairs were all over the target while aiming I need to practice more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]

The lower left group is 1.42 and lower right is 1.67. I shot middle, lower left, then lower right. My crosshairs were all over the target while aiming I need to practice more.
View Quote

So from my interrogation, we learned your groupings are likely a result of shooter error and not necessarily ammo related. At a measly 100 yards, you shouldn't notice any real change in groups in relation to ammo. When you start stretching out to 400+ is when you'll notice that difference; M193 can't do what Mk262 can do at greater ranges.

That's my take anyways.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#17]

So from my interrogation, we learned your groupings are likely a result of shooter error and not necessarily ammo related. At a measly 100 yards, you shouldn't notice any real change in groups in relation to ammo. When you start stretching out to 400+ is when you'll notice that difference; M193 can't do what Mk262 can do at greater ranges.

That's my take anyways.

View All Quotes

That's my take anyways.

Ouuuuccchhhhh
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:

Ouuuuccchhhhh
View All Quotes

That's my take anyways.

Ouuuuccchhhhh

He said his crosshairs were all over the place.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NapeSticksToKids] [#19]

View All Quotes

What was your reasoning on doing the CMV barrel vs the stainless?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Thank you

My 14.5 is setup for the 15th,  a little shorter than the 12th but the barrel coverage should be about the same.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Uh oh

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

View All Quotes

I was just gonna ask this
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Thank you

I think the 16th Model was more suited for an M4. It had the same amount of baffles as the 12th, but it didn't recess over the barrel as much.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Uh oh
http://i60.tinypic.com/90ykjb.jpg
View Quote

You got the wrong paint. True operators use:

Skillcraft FTMFW

If you arent aware, Skilcraft makes alot of stuff for the Gov't
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By dangerdan:

http://d2dslulmm3ln9j.cloudfront.net/skilcraft-so-sure-green-34082-primer-coating.jpg

http://d2dslulmm3ln9j.cloudfront.net/skilcraft-so-sure-tan-obliterating-compound.jpg

Skillcraft FTMFW

View All Quotes

Uh oh

http://d2dslulmm3ln9j.cloudfront.net/skilcraft-so-sure-green-34082-primer-coating.jpg

http://d2dslulmm3ln9j.cloudfront.net/skilcraft-so-sure-tan-obliterating-compound.jpg

Skillcraft FTMFW

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Somebody talk me out of this lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Somebody talk me out of this lol
View Quote

NOPE!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#28]

View All Quotes

Uh oh

Skillcraft FTMFW

I've heard of rust treatment and rust converter, but rust obliterating compound sounds like some serious shit.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Uh oh

Skillcraft FTMFW

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJeO8cryu6L1Wf2Eu62vMV_SyZSTRlBRfeE6B0PWCy4i-OZkeT

Then maybe you shouldn't have been the thread originator

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
I've heard of rust treatment and rust converter, but rust obliterating compound sounds like some serious shit.

View All Quotes
Uh oh

Skillcraft FTMFW

This is the same company that has blind people making the socks we get issued.....and typically the toe seam is rotated 90* from the heel seam.  Makes it interesting.

And illustrates that descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt.  In army terms, "obliterating" just means "i can't see it anymore".  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#31]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

This is the same company that has blind people making the socks we get issued.....and typically the toe seam is rotated 90* from the heel seam.  Makes it interesting.

And illustrates that descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt.  In army terms, "obliterating" just means "i can't see it anymore".  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Uh oh

Skillcraft FTMFW

Well...those blind people do make the best pens out there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know about "best", but "easiest to steal" sure fits.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Stainless and CMV are no different in terms of accuracy. They differ in how the barrel wears over time.

Stainless will be good for about 5000 rounds and then all of a sudden shoot like birdshot all over the place, the CMV will shoot good for about the same, but then slowly taper off in terms of performance- IE the group size will slowly open up for the next 1000-2000 rounds. This is due to SS being softer than CMV and the throat erosion is more dramatic, as well as overall wear patterns due to the softness.

The stainless has another positive in that it won't rust, but if your CMV is properly parkerized, cerakoted, painted, or lubed that wont happen anyway.

Also, it was $60 cheaper and I'm cheap
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Did you get 1-7 or 1-8 twist?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Stainless and CMV are no different in terms of accuracy. They differ in how the barrel wears over time.

Stainless will be good for about 5000 rounds and then all of a sudden shoot like birdshot all over the place, the CMV will shoot good for about the same, but then slowly taper off in terms of performance- IE the group size will slowly open up for the next 1000-2000 rounds. This is due to SS being softer than CMV and the throat erosion is more dramatic, as well as overall wear patterns due to the softness.

The stainless has another positive in that it won't rust, but if your CMV is properly parkerized, cerakoted, painted, or lubed that wont happen anyway.

View Quote
Seeing as 5000rds of BH mk262 would more than pay for an entire mk12 of any flavor; I'll take the SS.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Uh oh

Skillcraft FTMFW

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJeO8cryu6L1Wf2Eu62vMV_SyZSTRlBRfeE6B0PWCy4i-OZkeT

Well now that's just real retarded, sir.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#37]

View Quote

If accuracy is exactly the same in both CMV and SS then why do sniper rifles and DMR guns typically use SS barrels?

I thought SS was THE barrel to use on any kind of precision rifle because of accuracy?

EDIT: Just an honest question.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]

And that CAR looks pretty sweet on there. I picked up a pre-ban CAR and put in on my GenIII mod0 for shits and giggles.

View All Quotes
I guess a Vari-X III non-illum with FFP Premier Mildot reticle will have to do...

You guys have good taste.  I have the same scope and had a similar MK 12. I was thinking about building a Mod H or at least Mod H upper around the scope because I like it so much.

Uh oh

Do it!

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Too late to turn back

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

If accuracy is exactly the same in both CMV and SS then why do sniper rifles and DMR guns typically use SS barrels?

I thought SS was THE barrel to use on any kind of precision rifle because of accuracy?

View All Quotes

Im no barrel expert but i THINK SS is more accurate because its softer and easier to machine to tighter tolerances.It is true that CMV will wear out slower than SS but dont think it will be as accurate over its lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Mblades:
You guys have good taste.  I have the same scope and had a similar MK 12. I was thinking about building a Mod H or at least Mod H upper around the scope because I like it so much.

View All Quotes

It's good seein' you back in here blades.

After securing an early mod0 of my own, I remembered seeing yours with a CAR stock and debated going that route.... I'm still thinking about it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Do it!

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/cf47ca99-b6e3-4686-903f-99de77044eae_zpsbbecc957.jpg
View All Quotes

Uh oh

Do it!

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/cf47ca99-b6e3-4686-903f-99de77044eae_zpsbbecc957.jpg

You can try, but you will never be able to replicate my Mk12 paint job
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By deuc224:

Im no barrel expert but i THINK SS is more accurate because its softer and easier to machine to tighter tolerances.It is true that CMV will wear out slower than SS but dont think it will be as accurate over its lifetime.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deuc224:

That used to be the case, but modern rifling techniques and tolerances have advanced and depending on the outfit can machine a cmr blank just as well as an SS blank. This is straight from the horses mouth at CLE.

Originally Posted By Mad4wd:
Did you get 1-7 or 1-8 twist?

1:7
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Hmmmmmm

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:02:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#45]

Hmmmmmm

http://i60.tinypic.com/bfoms3.jpg
View Quote

Attaboy.

Lay that mesh over the khaki and fog it with FDE to soften the contrast if you want.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Hmmmmmm

http://i60.tinypic.com/bfoms3.jpg
View Quote

Looks great.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#47]
How close is PRI's flat dark earth to Magpul flat dark earth?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#48]

How close is PRI's flat dark earth to Magpul flat dark earth?
View Quote

Pretty close IMO.

PRI painted upper w/Magpul FDE furniture:

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#49]

I haven't heard too many good things about the KAC trigger. I'm using an LMT in mine and I like it. I tried a Geissele in a buddy's Mod0 but I really couldn't tell a huge difference. I'm sure the G is a way nicer trigger but I just didn't shoot it enough to feel the difference.

View All Quotes
What's the general consensus on triggers for an early mod0, KAC, or Geissele?

I am quite familiar with Geissele, but does anyone have experience with the Knights 2-stage?

I haven't heard too many good things about the KAC trigger. I'm using an LMT in mine and I like it. I tried a Geissele in a buddy's Mod0 but I really couldn't tell a huge difference. I'm sure the G is a way nicer trigger but I just didn't shoot it enough to feel the difference.

I've read/heard about the problems KAC triggers had early on and from what I've gathered, that was with the adjustable ones that end users didn't adjust correctly rendering them inoperable or problematic.

I personally have just over 16K through one of mine in my SR15 and have just over 25K total including the others I have in factory KAC rifles. I have never had any trigger issues to date and if I were to compare them to another trigger on the market, I would say that it feels similar to the Geissele SSA. Now, would I pay $300+ for one over te Geissele? Most likely never but, I wouldn't hesitate to use one on any of my rifles.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By jBoy723:
I've read/heard about the problems KAC triggers had early on and from what I've gathered, that was with the adjustable ones that end users didn't adjust correctly rendering them inoperable or problematic.

I personally have just over 16K through one of mine in my SR15 and have just over 25K total including the others I have in factory KAC rifles. I have never had any trigger issues to date and if I were to compare them to another trigger on the market, I would say that it feels similar to the Geissele SSA. Now, would I pay $300+ for one over te Geissele? Most likely never but, I wouldn't hesitate to use one on any of my rifles.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jBoy723:

What's the general consensus on triggers for an early mod0, KAC, or Geissele?

I am quite familiar with Geissele, but does anyone have experience with the Knights 2-stage?

Roger, good info. Thanks.
Page / 1194
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top