Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2017 12:08:07 PM EDT
I'm thinking about modifying my PSA Colt lower by threading the rear "lug" on the Bolt Catch so it would be as convenient as my Glock lower when removing or replacing the Bolt catch. I have experience doing this kind of procedure, I modify all my AR lowers by threading and using a set screw in the rear take down pin spring channel. Now to the meat of the subject:

1. Has anyone else done this?

2. Did you identify any problem areas?

Before any comments, Yes I realize I will need an extended Tap to do this.

The main reason I want to do this, My Bolt Catch is a little wobbly and I want to add Bolt Catch spacers and removing and replacing that tiny little roll pin is annoying, A threaded pin will make life so much easier.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about modifying my PSA Colt lower by threading the rear "lug" on the Bolt Catch so it would be as convenient as my Glock lower when removing or replacing the Bolt catch. I have experience doing this kind of procedure, I modify all my AR lowers by threading and using a set screw in the rear take down pin spring channel. Now to the meat of the subject:

The main reason I want to do this, My Bolt Catch is a little wobbly and I want to add Bolt Catch spacers and removing and replacing that tiny little roll pin is annoying, A threaded pin will make life so much easier.
View Quote

I have an AGP lower that came like that from the factory.
The "Pin" is reduced quite a bit from the thread O.D.

It may screw the lower if it dosen't work
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Just  here to confirm your long-winded description with a simple pic.

And a link for example of some bolt catch screws

You could use some 3/16 dia. solid brass or aluminum rod, then center drill it to hold the drill/tap
Then just glue them in, or add a set screw to prevent them from rotating during use.

I use a #36 drill with  a 7" rod attached to it on.

I'm very careful to chamfer the hole before tapping it with a 6-32 tap, that also has a  7" rod attached to it.

And then you can use a DPMS style 6-32 thread .308 bolt catch screw.

I used used a little TIG spot weld to attach the rods to my tap/drill....It was fast/easy for me.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I use to race R/C cars years ago and they used a screw/pin like that in some of the suspension parts. you may want to look it to that. But they could have been metric also. to long ago I don't remember for sure.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I've made similar mods on other lowers to tighten up the bolt catch but in a little different way.

You can get a better fit on the bolt catch by having the pivot pin be better sized for the catch. What I used is a cut off from the shaft of an appropriately-sized drill bit. You can get them cheaply and they are accurately sized and come in a very large number of sizes.

What I did is try a large number of bits to get the size that fit the best and then ordered some long aircraft bits of that size from McMaster-Carr. A quick cut off wheel on the Dremel, a little deburring, and you're good to go.

I drilled and tapped for a socket head set screw to retain the pin. I was able to eliminate almost all the wobble without the hassle of having to use shims.

- Chris
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
There seems to be a misunderstanding about what I am asking, New Frontier Armory's Glock lowers come with a threaded Bolt catch pin, which is a great idea, it allows the removal and replacement of the Bolt Catch very easy, New Frontier Armory sells the threaded pin for $3, nothing to fabricate. I am inquiring if any one has threaded the Bolt catch lugs on a standard lower that uses a roll pin to retain the bolt catch and if you saw any problem areas when doing this Modification and in my original post I stated that I already know that an extended tap is required and are available at reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you ever broken a bolt catch on your PSA Colt lower?  I have the PSA Colt pattern lower and have put over 3000 rounds through it with zero broken parts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have around a thousand rounds through my Colt 9mm lower and have not broken a bolt catch yet either, Just wondering if anyone has modified their lower with a threaded Bolt catch pin.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top