Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2018 12:24:14 PM EDT
Is it Legal use a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel with a SBA3 brace?
I've heard/read different things about the position of the brace to get the OAL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't matter if the barrel is 1 inch or 100 inches, if it has a pistol brace it's a pistol
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.

Not sure what you heard about OAL...sounds like it could have dealt with 26" for a foregrip, or LOP for a brace.

"They" say more than 13.5 inches LOP puts a brace into shady territory.

"They" also say that 26" OAL is no longer a pistol, but a firearm.

Finally, "they" are inconsistent with the measuring of braces extended or collapsed, and folders folded or unfolded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I'm starting my first pistol build, and i wanted to clear up a few things before i buy parts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You can use any brace you want.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.

Not sure what you heard about OAL...sounds like it could have dealt with 26" for a foregrip, or LOP for a brace.

"They" say more than 13.5 inches LOP puts a brace into shady territory.

"They" also say that 26" OAL is no longer a pistol, but a firearm.

Finally, "they" are inconsistent with the measuring of braces extended or collapsed, and folders folded or unfolded.
View Quote
It's 26" OAL and the addition of a VFG that makes it a "firearm". A 26"+ OAL pistol without a VFG is just a pistol - barring any state laws.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's 26" OAL and the addition of a VFG that makes it a "firearm". A 26"+ OAL pistol without a VFG is just a pistol - barring any state laws.
View Quote
This information exists NO WHERE in the law.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you need to look a little harder. What Krdt stated is correct.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If everyone seems to know where the 26" is anything but ATF opinion, they should post it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If everyone seems to know where the 26" is anything but ATF opinion, they should post it.
View Quote
Well, like it or not, ATF opinion carries weight. They are the agency tasked with enforcing firearms law, so their opinion counts. After all, it's ATF opinion that makes AR pistols with a brace considered legal in the first place. So, if you're uncomfortable with using ATF opinion as a legal basis, and will only do what is specifically codified in law, then that sorta rules out AR pistols (with a brace) entirely. There is no law mentioning AR pistols with a brace. If you are using a brace on a pistol, you're relying on ATF opinion. And if you want to know the ATF opinion on a pistol with a VFG, I outlined it above.

Remove any weight from ATF opinion, and the whole discussion is moot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No, That opinion wouldn't in any way rule out PISTOLS.  It may impact the opinion of a BRACE, but a pistol designed for one handed firing would be unaffected.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Send a letter to the BATF.........
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, That opinion wouldn't in any way rule out PISTOLS.  It may impact the opinion of a BRACE, but a pistol designed for one handed firing would be unaffected.
View Quote
You must have been typing when I added the edit "(with a brace)".
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You must have been typing when I added the edit "(with a brace)".
View Quote
Lol, probably.   It's all good.  I just wish we had better and clearer rules and it's not about conflict with anyone's opinion.

I don't rest easy with braces, FWIW.  Safe? ...probably.  But it seems to volatile for me to be comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Send a letter to the BATF.........
View Quote
Not a chance in bloody hell...haha.

You crack me up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
2017 Minnesota Statutes
Resources
624.712 DEFINITIONS.
Subd. 2.Pistol.

"Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle (1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or (2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top