Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have found that too many times starting at 30 positions the next gas tube slot nearly a whole slot away. So then getting that next slot to align is probably way past 30. I say "way past" because i don't use a torque wrench past this point, but a breaker bar and a tight fitting wrench and then not looking back. (We had to make wrenches like this when we replaced every M16A1 barrel in the 1st Marine Division in my Ordnance Shop after VietNam) to ensure every rifle had a chrome bore and chamber.
Of course if you have extra parts around you can mix and match as that's always the better course of action.
In my experience, barrel nut loosening over time is not because of low torque, but thousands of rounds down the barrel "stretching" the thread fit between upper receiver and barrel nut. I remember many times in the mid-70's inspecting well used M16A1's with barrels so loose you could rotate them by-hand to the limits of the gas tube passage hole. And then once the gas tube was removed, you could loosen the barrel nut the rest of the way by-hand!!!!
Now how the hell did that happen with a gas tube passing through the barrel nut....?
View Quote
Very interesting indeed, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Double post.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have found that too many times starting at 30 positions the next gas tube slot nearly a whole slot away. So then getting that next slot to align is probably way past 30. I say "way past" because i don't use a torque wrench past this point, but a breaker bar and a tight fitting wrench and then not looking back. (We had to make wrenches like this when we replaced every M16A1 barrel in the 1st Marine Division in my Ordnance Shop after VietNam) to ensure every rifle had a chrome bore and chamber.
Of course if you have extra parts around you can mix and match as that's always the better course of action.
In my experience, barrel nut loosening over time is not because of low torque, but thousands of rounds down the barrel "stretching" the thread fit between upper receiver and barrel nut. I remember many times in the mid-70's inspecting well used M16A1's with barrels so loose you could rotate them by-hand to the limits of the gas tube passage hole. And then once the gas tube was removed, you could loosen the barrel nut the rest of the way by-hand!!!!
Now how the hell did that happen with a gas tube passing through the barrel nut....?
View Quote
Weren't the 70's and earlier barrels you found loose installed by the old method before the 1983 TM stated to torque it the three times with the note saying "procedures provide for a better thread fit and prevents barrel nuts from becoming loose"?
I always guessed it was for spreading the grease to a thin layer so you did not have the nut setting on something thick enough it would squeeze out over time and loosen.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
this right here,   /\
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very cool info, I wouldn't have guessed this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only widespread method i was aware of prior to my inclusion of the 3-times torque I put in the TM was when visiting Colt in the early 80's and watching their barrel assembly method of using a hydraulically driven wrenching machine that torqued and timed the barrel nut at the same time.  The machine was obviously very powerful and precise as well as capable of the high volume production Colt was known for.
Very cool info, I wouldn't have guessed this.
I knew that Colt had this but I had no clue that they had it all the way back in the 80s, I thought is was brought in around the late 90s or early 2000s.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
So you suggest we civilians set torque wrench at 20, torque twice, then set at 30, stop if aligned or go to first hole in barrel nut if not aligned.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top