Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2015 1:55:00 PM EDT
I"m getting ready to finish my 80% lower and have a question about reamer sizes.  I've read through the Ray Vin book and it lists reamer sizes as follows:

Take Down 0.251
Safety 0 .376
Trigger/Hammer 0.156

I've done a little looking around for these reamers, but haven't found any yet.  Does anyone have a source for them and are these the right sizes.

Thanks,
Bob
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I"m getting ready to finish my 80% lower and have a question about reamer sizes.  I've read through the Ray Vin book and it lists reamer sizes as follows:
Take Down 0.251

Safety 0 .376

Trigger/Hammer 0.156
I've done a little looking around for these reamers, but haven't found any yet.  Does anyone have a source for them and are these the right sizes.
Thanks,

Bob
View Quote

Safety is 3/8

trigger is 5/32

easy to find in a quality tool supply store.  An 80% should have the takedown holes drilled already, if not, I would use a 1/4

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want to reem vs just drilling w/ the recommended sizes?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Search on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X5%2F32%22+reamer.TRS0&_nkw=5%2F32%22+reamer&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=5%2F32%22+reamer&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.X3%2F8%22+reamer.TRS0&_nkw=3%2F8%22+reamer&_sacat=0

Have you ever used a reamer before?  If not, watch some videos and do some reading.  It's real easy to make an oversize or oblong/otherwise misshapen hole with a sharp reamer.  Otherwise, you'll be better off just using quality drill bits

Safety is 3/8

trigger is 3/32
View Quote

5/32"

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety is 3/8

trigger is 3/32

You may have had a typo - correct size is 5/32 (.1562")  
Reamers are absolutely the way to go as well - drills will wander - and are not as precise as a chucking reamer.   Try B&B Tool - http://www.bbtoolsupply.com/straight-shank-high-speed-steel-fractional-sizes/2274-1-16-high-speed-steel-straight-shank-chucking-reamer-straight-flute.html  
6 fluted 5/32 chucking reamer - $3.65
The safety can be reamed as well - .376"  B&B Tool has those as well - $5 and change - short money for the right tools.

Hope this helps.

easy to find in a quality tool supply store.  An 80% should have the takedown holes drilled already, if not, I would use a 1/4

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take Down 0.251
Safety 0 .376
Trigger/Hammer 0.156

Thanks,
Bob
Safety is 3/8

trigger is 3/32

You may have had a typo - correct size is 5/32 (.1562")  
Reamers are absolutely the way to go as well - drills will wander - and are not as precise as a chucking reamer.   Try B&B Tool - http://www.bbtoolsupply.com/straight-shank-high-speed-steel-fractional-sizes/2274-1-16-high-speed-steel-straight-shank-chucking-reamer-straight-flute.html  
6 fluted 5/32 chucking reamer - $3.65
The safety can be reamed as well - .376"  B&B Tool has those as well - $5 and change - short money for the right tools.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Reamers are absolutely the way to go as well - drills will wander - and are not as precise as a chucking reamer.
View Quote

Agreed...............if you know how to use one.

If not, you'll more easily enlarge/deform the holes with a reamer than a twist drill.  Twist drills don't side cut anything like a reamer or end mill; they mostly flex.  I use reamers, but before ATF said no more, I had let some other guys finish 80% lowers with my equipment, including reamers.  More than one of them ended up with an oversize hole.

Therefore I maintain that someone with no machining experience is better off with a quality jobber length twist drill.  Finish won't be as pretty, but an ugly hole of the right size beats a pretty one that is out of spec.  Pins 0.020" too far apart is enough to cause disconnector malfuntions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for my typo everyone.  I fixed my post to not confuse anyone later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Not splitting hairs - but AFAIK, mil spec hole size officially is 0.155.

ENCO sells reamers to that diameter.  But as has been stated - a reamer is different in usage.  You don't peck with it and you advance smoothly and stop once through.  If you mic your trigger pins, you will likely find 0.1545 as the diameter.   I think this discussion should apply to those with a mill.  Regardless a 5/32 should work fine.  Remember the J pin will capture the center of the hammer pin and the hammer springs will keep the trigger pin in place.  If any concerns, get anti-walk pins from KNS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not splitting hairs - but AFAIK, mil spec hole size officially is 0.155.

ENCO sells reamers to that diameter.  But as has been stated - a reamer is different in usage.  You don't peck with it and you advance smoothly and stop once through.  If you mic your trigger pins, you will likely find 0.1545 as the diameter.   I think this discussion should apply to those with a mill.  Regardless a 5/32 should work fine.  Remember the J pin will capture the center of the hammer pin and the hammer springs will keep the trigger pin in place.  If any concerns, get anti-walk pins from KNS.
View Quote

Holes are reamed to a certain size because of the anodizing process build up inside the hole. The finish should be also be considered when you select the diameter of the hole.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top