Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2021 10:55:13 AM EDT
Have a Shockwave on my AR right now. Its not bad, and it got me up and running during the Corona / BLM panic going on.

I like the Shockwave. I know it seems to be a love / hate with it on this site.

Was looking at other options to possibly upgrade the Shockwave Brace, and was looking at the SB-PDW brace.

I know the SB line is pretty well liked, and I'm sure the PDW is a quality brace.

I like that style of brace (two arms that straddle the lower), reminds me of the old collapsible stocks of the MP5's.

Is anybody running these? Any input? Worth the price-tag?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. The best brace out there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one for 2 years. It worked very well and survived and impromptu fall from 2 story platform ("torture" test)

I ultimately sold it once I SBRd the lower.

I'd still have it today had I not went the form 1 route.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
meh...

They were developing it along with Maxim and showed Maxim's version for all the hype, and then at the last minute, they released their version which affords no functional advantage over an SBA3 and costs/weighs a lot more.

Maxim's brace is actually shorter collapsed than a standard stock/brace, which is the point of a PDW. SB's version uses a standard length buffer tube (which is advertised as a benefit because it doesn't require proprietary buffer/spring), but that also means it is, by definition, as short as anything else that uses a standard buffer tube, so whats the point?

So the only people that buy them are the ones that want the PDW "look" but don't want to buy the braces that actually offer that functionality.

Here's a comparison of the SBA3 vs the SBPDW both fully collapsed.

Attachment Attached File

If you want a shorter pistol when collapsed, go all the way with Maxim's version. If you don't care about the mp5-esque dual arm design, CMMG's ripbrace is a cut-down SBA3 on a short tube a la UCIW, which is quite short as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
meh...

They were developing it along with Maxim and showed Maxim's version for all the hype, and then at the last minute, they released their version which affords no functional advantage over an SBA3 and costs/weighs a lot more.

Maxim's brace is actually shorter collapsed than a standard stock/brace, which is the point of a PDW. SB's version uses a standard length buffer tube (which is advertised as a benefit because it doesn't require proprietary buffer/spring), but that also means it is, by definition, as short as anything else that uses a standard buffer tube, so whats the point?

So the only people that buy them are the ones that want the PDW "look" but don't want to buy the braces that actually offer that functionality.

Here's a comparison of the SBA3 vs the SBPDW both fully collapsed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-07-05_at_6_21_21_PM_png-2003273.JPG

https://files.osgnetworks.tv/12/files/2017/05/bracing_11.jpg

If you want a shorter pistol when collapsed, go all the way with Maxim's version. If you don't care about the mp5-esque dual arm design, CMMG's ripbrace is a cut-down SBA3 on a short tube a la UCIW, which is quite short as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/pdw1_jpg-2003266.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/pdw2_jpg-2003267.JPG
View Quote

Very nice PDW's, and thanks for the great write up.

The Maxim brace saves almost 1-1/2" when "closed", so that is kinda nice. But like you said, the SB's standard buffer parts are a plus as well.

I'm trying to keep it at least 26" overall due to my state rules. The SB-PDW gives me about 27" OAL when closed, so the maxim may be a touch too short.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very nice PDW's, and thanks for the great write up.

The Maxim brace saves almost 1-1/2" when "closed", so that is kinda nice. But like you said, the SB's standard buffer parts are a plus as well.

I'm trying to keep it at least 26" overall due to my state rules. The SB-PDW gives me about 27" OAL when closed, so the maxim may be a touch too short.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
View Quote
So if you're not trying to maximize compact-ness... why bother with a PDW stock/brace? It's just much heavier and more than twice as expensive as an SBA3 while offering exactly the same functionality as the SBA3.

I mean everyone can like and buy what they want of course... I just don't get it.

Especially since your question was "is it worth the price tag"... well no, it isn't, since it literally doesn't offer anything for the increased price tag. SBA3 is adjustable, same length, lighter, uses standard parts INCLUDING a standard buffer tube, AND the best prices I can find for them put the SBA3 at $84 vs the SBPDW for $180. So what are you getting for the extra $100, several oz of weight, and a proprietary buffer tube?

Maybe if the SBPDW existed in a world where the only alternative was the shockwave and you wanted something collapsible...

ETA: none of the pics i posted are my setups i just found them online
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an SBPDW and really like it. It balanced out the pistol well, and I also liked the aspect of using a standard buffer tube and spring.

Having said that, I am looking at an SBA3 for my next project.

Plusses and minuses to all of them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'me very happy with mine. Luckily, American capitalism has brought us a number of choices (for now.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine is sitting in a box.  Dang thing weighs too much to sit on a light weight pistol build.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
It is much heavier than most braces out there, but it is a solid brace.
If you like the looks and don't mind the weight, go for it.

I did have to put some thread locker on the tube threads of mine but it stopped coming loose after that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine is sitting in a box.  Dang thing weighs too much to sit on a light weight pistol build.
View Quote
OP, ask this guy to sell you his.
You might get a deal.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Been pleased with mine since they were released. The lack of proprietary parts was actually the tipping point over the maxim version for me, though to be fair, absolute compactness has never been my goal.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I had  the SBPDW on my 1st pistol. When the SBA3 came out I switched to it and the SBPDW is sitting in a box. The SBA3 is lighter, has more adjustment, and costs less. I put the SBA3 on my next pistol despite having the SBPDW just sitting around
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I like mine well enough… But as several have already said, if function is your only criteria, no it isn’t worth the price. Its comfortable and serves its job well enough but I have it only because I find it the most aesthetically pleasing of all the braces on the market. That said, as soon as I get around to getting the stamp it’ll be replaced.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one on a compact ar9 and it worked well. My only criticism was that it didn't collapse are much as the sba3 so I sold it and bought 2 sba3. It's my favorite brace and on all of my ar pistols. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have a Shockwave on my AR right now. Its not bad, and it got me up and running during the Corona / BLM panic going on.

I like the Shockwave. I know it seems to be a love / hate with it on this site.

Was looking at other options to possibly upgrade the Shockwave Brace, and was looking at the SB-PDW brace.

I know the SB line is pretty well liked, and I'm sure the PDW is a quality brace.

I like that style of brace (two arms that straddle the lower), reminds me of the old collapsible stocks of the MP5's.

Is anybody running these? Any input? Worth the price-tag?

Thanks!
View Quote

I have one on a .300 BLK.  Its the same one as the Maxim brace except it doesnt adjust as much and doesnt have the same sling attachment points.  

Before I bought I would take a hard look at their new HB-PDW though.  

HB-PDW
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]
It's heavy, but it balances out pistol with dBal and Surefire M620V nicely. It's pretty chunky otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at the Strike Ind PDW Brace. I like mine...
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went went the SBPDW cuz all other braces look like shit and scream ‘brace’. I wanted a brace that didn’t look like a brace… That said, as soon as I retire from the military and don’t have to worry about moving to a new state I plan on getting a stamp for  it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is much heavier than most braces out there, but it is a solid brace.
If you like the looks and don't mind the weight, go for it.

I did have to put some thread locker on the tube threads of mine but it stopped coming loose after that.
View Quote

I was really wishing with the SB-Tac brace could be used in conjunction with a receiver end plate that could be staked... Or some way to stake in it's current issue. However, mine have never loosened yet...
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Have always thought the SB looked retarded being so long.

I've used the Maxim on a couple and liked them.

If I didn't want to spend the money on a Maxim, I'd definitely go the SBA3 route.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The Maxim definitely looks nicer than the SB
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Here’s my 300 BO pistol- 8” CMMG upper.  I have the SB Tactical HBPDE brace. It’s pretty sweet for a brace.  I think I’m going to SBR this so I may go with a Maxim stock.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I had the Maxim (same thing but with a shortened buffer tube) & didnt care for it, as there is no way to stake the castle nut. I had the castle nut back off & entire brace loosen on me various times. Im talking 50-100rnd range session. Sure, you could locktight it, but I dont trust it if I cant stake it. Sold mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top