Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2012 9:55:31 AM EDT
So I recently returned to Afghanistan from my R&R.  While on R&R, I had my M4 brought over to the small arms shop to have them go over it and replace any parts that needed replacing.  I got it back, and they put in a whole new BCG.  This new bolt carrier is textured.  I'm just kind of curious about it.  I've never seen or heard of a textured bolt carrier.  Does anyone know anything about this bolt carrier?  I've since shot it, and my M4 runs awesome.  The action feels much more positive (I believe the buffer and buffer spring were also replaced).  It really feels like a top notch M4 now.  I'm completely sold on my issued M4 now that it received a little bit of love.  But someone please, give me some info on this bolt carrier.  I'm really curious about it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, I've not seen anything like that before. In for answers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From the pictures it looks like heavy parkerizing, but the images aren't the clearest so its difficult to tell.

ETA- Hope your R&R went well, stay safe.

This.  Lube it up an shoot it and it will smooth out.  I had one like this and after about 200rds it was like the rest of mine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't read the numbers on the left side.
What do they say?
Any numbers or markings on the Bolt?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What do they say?

looks like tool craft cage code
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do they say?

looks like tool craft cage code

It is the cage code. I have a bcg that has a heavy park finish.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The question was asked before about rough looking BCG and from reading the link below I have a question. Does Colt or a military depot overhaul our M16/A4 rifles or could someone else be reworking or overhauling them. I'm asking because one poster thought the BCG might have been reworked and might be the reason it is rough looking?

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=423117
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive seen some that rough, no biggy.  However, I do wonder why it was replaced.  Carriers almost never wear out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen bolts that were finished very roughly. "Sandpapery" I guess would describe it. The bolt in the pictures looks different than those. More detailed pictures would help. Rough BCG's smooth out after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The last LMT carrier I bought was like that.  I thought it was odd, because every LMT carrier I bought before that had your typical smooth finish.

It works fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have several 1B1B6 Toolcraft carriers, they all run fine. Only one of mine had the "leathery" phosphate parkerizing like yours, and it also runs fine (seems like it holds lube great). These 1B1B6 carriers were used by armorers often. They made carriers for many companies.
Thanks for your service, I hope the rifle does well for you.

And, couldn't tell from the pics- is your bolt stamped MPC,MPIC, or MPF (would look more like MPE)? Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Without being able to read the CAGE code, I would agree with other posters that it is most likely a Toolcraft carrier.  

The Toolcraft carriers are contract USGI replacement parts.  For all intents and purposes it should be made to the same specs and standards as a Colt or FNMI factory bolt carrier.

The rough parkerizing is no problem, especially as long as it functions without problems.  A little use and continued lube (it's probably also been kept pretty dry prior to installation, and it will take a couple good lubings to fully "soak in") should make it less distinctive.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Really?
you took your military issue M4 to a local gunsmith and had them put a non military issue bolt carrier in it?  Please say you are Army.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Really?
you took your military issue M4 to a local gunsmith and had them put a non military issue bolt carrier in it?  Please say you are Army.

"The small arms shop" usually = small arms Maintenance Shop

Toolcraft bolt carriers are USGI contract replacement parts and not typically available on the commercial market.  

It seems pretty clear that he dropped his weapon off at the small arms maintenance shop at his (or his higher headquarters) FOB before leaving theater on R&R, and then picked it back up from them when he got back from a well deserved leave.  

I'm not usually into post counts and join dates - but seriously - "read more, post less."  Great job introducing yourself to the forum, dude.

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really?

Wow really dude? He took his M4 to the small arms shop. Cage code right there in the pictures. Not even going to make an Air Force joke.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe the markings on the side is the cage code "1B1B6".  The bolt is stamped MPC.  I'm pretty sure it's a whole new BCG.  I've had this weapon since my Iraq deployment back in 2009.  It's kind of nice because with the bolt extended, it can actually stand on end without the bolt falling in to the carrier.  

So from what I'm gathering is that it's just a heavy parkerizing.  I only shot a few rounds through it to rezero since coming out of the small arms shop, but it ran awesome.  It actually felt really good.  It's hard to describe, but I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about when I say it just felt good.  Everything was tight.  Again, I love my new M4.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The last LMT carrier I bought was like that.  I thought it was odd, because every LMT carrier I bought before that had your typical smooth finish.

It works fine.

My LMT isrough as well.

Refreshing  to see a post from someone who actually uses their m4 out in the field. We should be asking HIM for advice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]
style[%|='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
Really?

Great first post. I was going to mention that we should try to not scare this guy off because he probably has a ton of real world experience and knowledge, but too late.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Really?

Really, you could be that ignorant?

Do you even carry a weapon other than your quals???  Doubt it

Way to make a first impression by pissing off the Army guys when you in fact were making a false and ignorant assumption... Run along and go play with your fellow Zoomies

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, looks like you all got my back on this AFshirt guy.  Pretty amusing stuff.  

As for asking me for advice, I sometimes chime in when I feel I might have something pertinent to say, but for the most part I've learned a bunch from reading posts here.  I plan to build my "dream" AR when I get back home to the states.  So I've been doing a lot of reading on here.  I will say that I do know how to keep my weapon functioning.  I've clocked miles upon miles of dismounted patrols, and I can't even begin to count mounted ones.  And everytime the SHTF, my M4 always worked.  Like I said, I've had this same M4 since my 2009 Iraq deployment, well, actually before then because it was issued to me prior to that during all of our training prior to the deployment.  I guess you could say that I'm pretty intimate with my M4.

Oh, I will say this.  My M4 does not like PMAGS.  So I'm back to standard issued mags.  Actually I wouldn't say standard issued.  My unit got Brownell's aluminum mags with the tan followers, and those things work awesome.  Once I ditched my PMAGS, all was good again.  I'm a big fan of Magpul so it was a tough realization for me to get rid of my PMAGS.  Now everytime I see people out here with PMAGS in their M4's, I hope they tested their weapon with it and that all is good.  I'd hate to be in an "oh s*#&t" situation, squeeze off a round and JAM.  

Back on topic.  Thanks for the info on the bolt carrier.  I definitely didn't have any hesitation that my M4 would function properly, but I was just curious because I've never seen a bolt carrier textured the way mine is.  When I get home I'll be PCSing.  It'll be a sad day to leave my M4 behind.  At least someone will have a sweet running M4 after me though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 of those complete BCGs its just heavt phosphatingthanks for your service man
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, looks like you all got my back on this AFshirt guy.  Pretty amusing stuff.  

As for asking me for advice, I sometimes chime in when I feel I might have something pertinent to say, but for the most part I've learned a bunch from reading posts here.  I plan to build my "dream" AR when I get back home to the states.  So I've been doing a lot of reading on here.  I will say that I do know how to keep my weapon functioning.  I've clocked miles upon miles of dismounted patrols, and I can't even begin to count mounted ones.  And everytime the SHTF, my M4 always worked.  Like I said, I've had this same M4 since my 2009 Iraq deployment, well, actually before then because it was issued to me prior to that during all of our training prior to the deployment.  I guess you could say that I'm pretty intimate with my M4.

Oh, I will say this.  My M4 does not like PMAGS.  So I'm back to standard issued mags.  Actually I wouldn't say standard issued.  My unit got Brownell's aluminum mags with the tan followers, and those things work awesome.  Once I ditched my PMAGS, all was good again.  I'm a big fan of Magpul so it was a tough realization for me to get rid of my PMAGS.  Now everytime I see people out here with PMAGS in their M4's, I hope they tested their weapon with it and that all is good.  I'd hate to be in an "oh s*#&t" situation, squeeze off a round and JAM.  

Back on topic.  Thanks for the info on the bolt carrier.  I definitely didn't have any hesitation that my M4 would function properly, but I was just curious because I've never seen a bolt carrier textured the way mine is.  When I get home I'll be PCSing.  It'll be a sad day to leave my M4 behind.  At least someone will have a sweet running M4 after me though.

We tend to have "drive-bys" here pretty often as far as AF shirt guy.
I really do hope your M4 is 100% reliable, and we all hope we have the right to build these things when you return- who knows what Hussein Obama could do if re-elected
I am also more trusty of my USGI mags, altho I own quite a few P-mags.
AND, finally the "1B1B6" carriers are as good as any- they really do make them for many companies, is rumored they make'em for FN, but yours has a Colt bolt (and I feel those are the best). You can go to the Toolcraft website for more info, they turn out 14k carriers/month, in many configurations and coatings (and even for 7.62).
We all hope you have a good tour, take pics and stay in touch. "Happy trails" to you ...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top