Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We’ll, I’d certainly agree that as distance increases that little extra clip in magnification becomes less noticeable, but Molon took a picture that shows what I mean pretty well. Being a SHTF focused optic with an importance stressed on image and eye box, I think one could do quite a bit better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/trijicon_tr24_ruler_view_21_resized-1963549.jpg
View Quote

That’s a tr24? Any pics like that of a tr25?

@olds442tyguy
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

As mentioned by others it’s the new Primary Arms 1-8 GLX Compact and the Vortex 1-6 Razor.

Primary Arms is on to something big with that combo, it’s just a shame it doesn’t have daylight brightness.

I’ve personally only ever found one other LPVO with a disappearing ocular and it was a sprint run Leupold. Despite being 1.5X it’s still a crazy good image and I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. I’d be running a Razor on my carbine if I wasn’t obsessive about weight.
View Quote

What gen vortex? Is the regular gen 2 1-6 as good as that picture?
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Gen 2 Razor and Gen 2-E are identical optically, just a weight difference due to using lighter turret assemblies, I believe
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone had time behind the new EOTech Vudu 1-10 LPVOs?
Intriguing to have a zero-power / reasonably large red dot ring a'la the old EOTech holosights, plus big 10x reach on demand.
EO Tech 1-10 FFP - Christmas tree, magnifiation, and a big-ol holosight red dot... Not a bad price either
NEW EOTech Vudu 1-10x LPVO [SHOT Show 2022]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well that's the thing, I'm saying that it doesn't, the exit pupil does not reflect the actual eyebox size.

I define eyebox as the degree of radial forgiveness that an optic allows, i.e. the maximum distance you can move your head off to the side before the image blacks out completely. I refer to the front-to-back forgiveness as 'eye relief range', first because it is easier to simply isolate the dimensional measures for the purposes of description (that way when you say a scope has a "large eyebox" people don't have to wonder whether it's wide or long or both), second because I don't find them both equally important, and third because they are fundamentally different in nature: You don't lose any FoV at all when moving forwards and backwards within the proper eye relief range whereas your FoV does decrease when moving towards the edges of the eyebox.

Now with that being said, you can measure the exit pupil by shining a light through the optic and measuring the disc of light projected onto a surface. I tried that with the Elcan SpecterDR, which has a listed exit pupil of 8mm. My finding was that the disc was indeed 8mm wide at 2.76", the listed eye relief distance...

...except 2.76" isn't the practical eye relief, because you don't actually have a full FoV when you're that far away. In fact the actual eye relief distance is around 2.15". Now you could define 2.76" as being the mechanical eye relief or the such because that's where you find the calculated exit pupil, but this is useless for practical purposes because nothing special actually happens there and you don't have a full FoV so why would you put your eye there?

But here's the thing. At 2.15", the eyebox is wider than it is at 2.76", and yet if you measure the little disc of light when it's 2.15" away, it's actually smaller. And if you move even closer to the ocular, the eyebox continues to grow (albeit you are now out of your proper eye relief range and have a constricted FoV), and yet the measured disc or 'exit pupil' continues to shrink.

Observation also finds that there are secondary halos around the primary disc, which indicates that the central disc alone is not the only light being transmitted through the optic. However, whereas the central disc is smaller than the true eyebox, the halos are larger. The true eyebox is somewhere in between, and not clearly delineated.

This isn't the only optic where the practical eye relief distance is different from the listed spec. I have also measured the SUIT Trilux 4x, and its actual eye relief is closer to 0.7" rather than the listed 1.37". I believe it had something similar going on with the exit pupil although I did not take precise measurements.

Anyways my personal suspicion is that this is actually a common phenomenon, and in many cases the listed eye relief is where you will find the listed exit pupil, but the actual eye relief distance is different than the paper spec. Accordingly the interactions of the light rays are likewise different at that location. I have posted a preliminary hypothesis of that here, but it's very basic and doesn't work well for certain scopes (e.g. the NX8 and actually the 4x ACOG, upon further inspection it turns out the eyebox diameter changes significantly throughout its proper eye relief range) so it likely needs revision.

At any rate - the real point to be made here is that I have simply not found the listed or calculated exit pupil sizes to be consistently proportional with the actual eyebox diameter. I'm not an optical engineer, but the Vortex Rep on this forum has explicitly said that eyebox doesn't necessarily equal exit pupil, you've got Swampfox who has said that there are optics with large eyeboxes and small exit pupils and vice-versa, and there's BigJimFish who started out using his exit pupil measurements as a measure of eyebox size in his compilation of reviews but later ended up dropping them because he didn't find them to be useful. Case in point, see the Leupold Mk8 CQBSS and Mk6 reviews where he comments that the Mk8's eyebox is large despite only having an 8mm exit pupil, while the Mk6 has a measured exit pupil over 10mm wide yet he thought it had a smaller eyebox.

If one cares to delve into the weeds, there are some more esoteric papers out there relating to the subject matter in some way or another, but I frankly do not have the education to fully comprehend them. Many of these concern product design and assume some prior baseline of knowledge, knowledge that an individual may not have without already having formally studied the subject.
View Quote

@45custom

Thank you for the info and work!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well congratulations. You’ve had one LPVO. You’re clearly expert enough to say the opinions of others only matter as a social media influencer talking point. Not like I’ve owned nearly 20 LPVO’s or been shooting them for a decade and a half.

I’m pretty sure my point went over your head way back when you were talking in leet speak though. So by all means, do what’s best for you.
View Quote

So first you assume I have had no experience and now you pivot to that I've owned one? Dang. Moving those goal posts enough or what? Care to move them further as your assumptions continue to fail?

Leet speak? Wait, who is getting personal with insults now? Tossing some hypocrisy into the thread?

I'm just pointing out that all optics have an ocular ring. Period. Most people aren't phased by them as they are focusing on the target and using both eyes open.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, the easy answer here is to just get a Razor 1-6.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine is a non e model and the eyebox is next level good. That combined with the flat image and good glass makes it nice for longer ranges as well. 6x is easier to use offhand than other 1-6 I've tried and makes being sfp much less of a draw back. It's a pig though but worth it imo. I like my g3 1-10 but have knocked around the idea of selling it and getting a second g2 just because the eyebox makes everything easier.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So first you assume I have had no experience and now you pivot to that I've owned one? Dang. Moving those goal posts enough or what? Care to move them further as your assumptions continue to fail?

Leet speak? Wait, who is getting personal with insults now? Tossing some hypocrisy into the thread?

I'm just pointing out that all optics have an ocular ring. Period. Most people aren't phased by them as they are focusing on the target and using both eyes open.
View Quote

I’m not here to do the drama thing, just offer experience and perspective. You do you and your normal routine, Jonny.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#10]
How does the Credo fit with the TR25 and Razor II?

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:25:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How does the Credo fit with the TR25 and Razor II?

View Quote

I've only looked at one in the store but it seemed very similar to the tr25. Good glass and daylight bright dot. They'd probably sell a boatload if they didn't have so many models that confuse people. The one I looked at was a 1-6 hx led with red illumination. Think they were asking 850 and if I wasn't set for scopes I probably would have bought it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Still the King of LPVO’s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Razor 1-6.

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned by others it’s the new Primary Arms 1-8 GLX Compact and the Vortex 1-6 Razor.

Primary Arms is on to something big with that combo, it’s just a shame it doesn’t have daylight brightness.

I’ve personally only ever found one other LPVO with a disappearing ocular and it was a sprint run Leupold. Despite being 1.5X it’s still a crazy good image and I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. I’d be running a Razor on my carbine if I wasn’t obsessive about weight.

Yes it is.  

The E version is just lighter.  One big place they cut weight was swapping out the heavy brass battery cap for an aluminum one.  Identical glass.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Razor 1-6.

Yep.

I'll 3rd this, and I have had several LPVO's over the years.

I will say that the Swaro Z6i and Z8i I had were a bit nicer in the glass department but the outer ring was a bit thicker, and eye relief was shorter.

It's easier for me anyways to get behind the Razor 1-6.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I heard the Leupold VX6-HD 1-6x are some great glass with great eye relief. I could be wrong though, as I've never used one. Also is like 13oz which is like 3-4 oz lighter than the competition. Only SFP though. Someone who has one should chime in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I heard the Leupold VX6-HD 1-6x are some great glass with great eye relief. I could be wrong though, as I've never used one. Also is like 13oz which is like 3-4 oz lighter than the competition. Only SFP though. Someone who has one should chime in.
View Quote

They would have been the class leader if the reticles didn’t suck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It says 16.2oz on their site. You may be talking about the older non-HD version that’s discontinued and wasn’t $1500.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How does the Credo fit . . .
View Quote

In the $800 range, the Trijicon Credo HX 1-6X with the Hunter Holds reticle is a solid choice for a general purpose LPVO. The glass is decent, the red-dot is truly daylight bright and the BDC is an excellent match for my 55 grain loads.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've only looked at one in the store but it seemed very similar to the tr25. Good glass and daylight bright dot. They'd probably sell a boatload if they didn't have so many models that confuse people. The one I looked at was a 1-6 hx led with red illumination. Think they were asking 850 and if I wasn't set for scopes I probably would have bought it.
View Quote

I bought this in green today. I was completely unaware of this scope til this weekend. Apparently it's nearly identical to the Delta Stryker as long as your looking at the SFP Hunter BDC reticle. It cost me $250 less than my Razor gen II and it weighs about half a pound less. I'm putting it on my new Larue which showed up today. C_DOES review on Youtube sold me on it, can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here. I would have gone with two of those instead of the Razors due to it's lighter weight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This right here. I would have gone with two of those instead of the Razors due to it's lighter weight.
View Quote

Isn't it amazing how frequently optics companies come so close to getting something just right but fuck up one seemingly small thing and ruin an otherwise great optic.  Not specifically Leupold, not trying to shit on them.  But making an optic like that and putting a duplex reticle in it. Pants on head.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Isn't it amazing how frequently optics companies come so close to getting something just right but fuck up one seemingly small thing and ruin an otherwise great optic.  Not specifically Leupold, not trying to shit on them.  But making an optic like that and putting a duplex reticle in it. Pants on head.
View Quote

Yeah I just can't wrap my head around it.

I'm not trying to shit on them either but most f their reticles are pants on head with the MK6's and MK5HD's ect being an exception.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Especially when they have the BDC Firedot reticle which is just about perfect. Kind of mind boggling.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Especially when they have the BDC Firedot reticle which is just about perfect. Kind of mind boggling.
View Quote

Another optic they they could have made 1x instead of 1.5x. They dropped the ball on that one as far as I'm concerned also. Another hard pass for me dog.

Not that I'm not glad it's working out for you though.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another optic they they could have made 1x instead of 1.5x. They dropped the ball on that one as far as I'm concerned also. Another hard pass for me dog.

Not that I'm not glad it's working out for you though.

View Quote

I may not have found any speed difference but I’d still much rather have true 1X below 25 yards. The weight, glass quality, and illumination are the reason I stick with it. Nearly 10 ounces lighter than a Razor, and significantly better image quality than a TR24. The P4xi was the only other real contender for what I wanted but their price is dumb now and I absolutely hate the new diamond reticle.

For me it wins because everything else I’ve tried lost more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It says 16.2oz on their site. You may be talking about the older non-HD version that’s discontinued and wasn’t $1500.
View Quote

I believe there was a discussion about this years ago where they used the same weight for multiple models. Good news is I have one that should be here tomorrow which I'll weigh and report back. If indeed 13.4ish oz then for SFP, this would be a good SHTF optic because it's about 1-2 oz lighter (w/ Aero mount) than the lightest red dot + 3x magnifier, with great glass and 1-6x; so I've heard.

I guess we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Starting to get paralysis through analysis!

Torn between the TR25, Credo HX green, the Razor.  Would love to look through all these to compare at once.  Was really set on the TR25, but the Credo HX has a better reticle.  The Razor appears to have a lot of happy users here.

Ugh
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bought this in green today. I was completely unaware of this scope til this weekend. Apparently it's nearly identical to the Delta Stryker as long as your looking at the SFP Hunter BDC reticle. It cost me $250 less than my Razor gen II and it weighs about half a pound less. I'm putting it on my new Larue which showed up today. C_DOES review on Youtube sold me on it, can't wait to get it.
View Quote

How bright is the green illumination? Daytime bright? As bright or close as the red as shown by C_DOES?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How bright is the green illumination? Daytime bright? As bright or close as the red as shown by C_DOES?
View Quote

Not quite as bright as the red, but still daylight bright. Cameras tend to make dot reticles look dimmer than they actually are but this 100% looks like it'd be daylight bright in real life and I think it's actually one setting below its maximum level of brightness.

It's apparently about 2 steps below the red reticle on an equivalent setting, i.e. 10/10 on the green is approximately equal to 8/10 on the red.

Credit to dotcombust for the picture.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Torn between the TR25, Credo HX green, the Razor.  Would love to look through all these to compare at once.  Was really set on the TR25, but the Credo HX has a better reticle.  The Razor appears to have a lot of happy users here.

Ugh
View Quote

If a couple extra oz an a few hundred dollars isn't an issue get the razor e. Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the 3 but the eyebox on the razor makes everything a little easier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ugh
View Quote

Just get the Razor.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like the Razor it is.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sounds like the Razor it is.  

View Quote

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say, “Damn… shouldn’t have got a Razor.”
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Over the last few years I kept trying the optics mentioned in this thread, and a few others to try and drop some weight compared to the razor, but I kept saying fuck it I'll just deal with the weight and I end up with a razor again and again.

The others will come close, with some being closer than others, but they are still no razor.

Leupold VX6HD would have been a equal winner and a bonus with it's lighter weight but their reticles suck ass as far as I'm concerned.

If I really need lighter weight I'll go Trijicon credo or NX8.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Leupold does this better than any other optics manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Over the last few years I kept trying the optics mentioned in this thread, and a few others to try and drop some weight compared to the razor, but I kept saying fuck it I'll just deal with the weight and I end up with a razor again and again.

The others will come close, with some being closer than others, but they are still no razor.

If I really need lighter weight I'll go Trijicon credo or NX8.
View Quote

I do like the segmented green circle on the Credo.  Seems from what I have gathered is that the Razor is more prove and durable with glass close on both.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I do like the segmented green circle on the Credo.  Seems from what I have gathered is that the Razor is more prove and durable with glass close on both.
View Quote

The problem with that  segmented circle is it's not going to be daylight bright. Not even close to the razor.

I remember when LPVO were first becoming a thing here and the Vortex PST 1-4 FFP  red segmented circle first came out.

I got one and was amazed at how nice it was at 1x, but I couldn't help but notice how that reticle would get lost on me due to it not being bright enough in the illumination.

This was before I knew about "daylight bright" being a thing, but even then it still bothered me that it's reticle wasn't bright enough to pick up quick at 1x.

There were others before the Vortex but for me this was my first endeavor into the LPVO world.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Leupold does this better than any other optics manufacturer.
View Quote

That's a fact, Jack.  It's like they are not allowed to make a total package.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

The credo you want is the hx led model. It has a daylight bright dot and plex with drops but really just get the razor. The e is like 2 or 3 oz more than the credo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#40]
NF ATACR
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
NF ATACR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
NF ATACR

Quote from OP's post.

So, looking for a good, forgiving eye box, good FOV, good on 1x, durable, etc. for a 1-6x LPVO?  ATACR is not in my range.  Was looking at possibly the Razor 1-6x E, Accupoint, Credo, ??  Many seem to like the Razor from many of the threads I have read through.  This is meant to be the SHTF, Mad Max, end of the world, Russia invades type weapon.  Not that I will likely need to be concerned about that.  The Accupoint appeals due to fiber optics.  Would most likely sell the TA31 and mount to fund as I would not really have a need for it.

Would the Razor be the best for that, Accupoint?  Suggestions?
Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
What height rings are recommended?  1.93?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Decided to go with the Credo HX 1-6 Green BDC in an ADM Recon mount.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#44]
got my Credo HX 1-6 green 223 bdc today. I can verify what's been said here, the green is not as bright as the red because it's not nuclear Aimpoint bright like my Razor. I would say 10 on the green Credo is about an 8 on the Razor. To me that's fine because I usually run my Razor a couple clicks from max anyway when the sun is high in the sky. This Credo needs all of 10, but it's still green dot bright, just no overhead to go brighter. I think the only time you'd get washout is facing east during a bright sunrise or maybe late afternoon with the sun starting to dip and directly in your face, and maybe not even then.

I have a Razor gen II, so the half pound the Credo saves me is worth a click or two of illumination and it's cool to have something different in the green dot.

The glass is excellent, color and detail are stellar. I didn't note any chromatic abnormality, a little on the cool side. The picture is excellent around the edge. Focusing on power lines the amount it takes them out of alignment is completely acceptable. The scope body is minimal, pretty much just how the Razor is. Eye relief is good, eye box is not as forgiving as the Razor but not bad either. I would only ever notice it shooting off a bench because when I shoulder the rifle it's right on.

I paid $757 shipped. What's a Razor genII e? $1400, a grand plus shipping with a coupon code? A lighter scope that is 95% as good as a Razor for 3/4 the cost, and if you got the red version add a percent or two for 96.5% as good as a Razor. It's a nice addition here. I have the Razor on a DD5V3 which is already heavy so the Razor's weight is neglible. This Credo goes on a Larue I just bought and I am so far well pleased with the purchase.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top