AR Sponsor
Posted: 6/6/2005 12:15:54 PM EDT
|
I was thinking about getting an A1 type AR. A1 sights, A1 stock and handguards, thin profile 1:12 barrel, A1 flash supressor, tear drop forward assist, and case deflector. The main reason is that I want a full size rifle that is very lightweight and has good sight radius. Here are the pros I see to the A1 over the A2: simpler sights, less to mess with, less can go wrong. more ergonomic stock length lighter overall weight due to lightweight barrel classic look cons: barrel warp? but from what I have heard this is a rare occurance and is only a problem with sustained automatic fire. 1:12 twist. limis ammo choice to m193. This isn't much of a con either since that is exclusively what I shoot. M855 is too expensive and hard to come by. I'm currently e-mailing CMMG and they say they can make me a mostly new A1 AR for $900. The only parts that aren't new is the furniture (understandable, since no one makes it anymore AFAIK) and the barrel, which is a like-new colt chrome lined 1:12 barrel taken from a M16 reciever. Is there anyone else that makes A1 AR's that might have a better price? Fulton Armory advertises original M16 type AR's, but not A1's. What do you guys think? Oh, and post pics of your A1 or SP1's please! |
|
I went with the BRAND NEW A1 upper from CDNNinvestments.com. The only thing it doesn't have that you mentioned was the brass deflector. A very good deal for a brand new Colt upper. Most mullets here are fixated on the heavier bullets which can't really be fired from 1/12. But I'm a M193 shooter too. |
|
A1's lack a case deflector. "C7" Type A1 Rear Sight, Forward Assist and Case Deflector A1 upper has forward assasist no case deflector and of course a1 sites. Fulton, can put a c7 upper on that rifle no problem. Any custom / semi custom ar builder should be able to do what your asking. |
|
Refinish the lower and you'll be fine. If you're patient, keep your eyes open at gun shows and on the EE on these boards, as well as eBay, Gunbroker, AuctionArms, etc. In the last 4 months, I've bought an M16 slabside complete upper in excellent condition for less than $200 and an A1 complete upper for $160. The A1 had a nasty dremelled off bayo lug and an incorrect flashider, but I'll have it correct for $200. Furniture is available from EE. Numrich actually has M16 furniture for about $22 per full set. With my latest build, my A1, I will have a completed rifle with DPMS lower and LPK for about $425. |
Wow - that was actually almost a useful reply. I'm not use to that from you |
|
I bought a very early A1 Upper a few years ago from Jeff and John at CMMG, Inc. These had no FA or SD, you may ask depending on how far back you want to go. They had A1 furniture at the time as well. I picked up a butt stock without the trap door, rounded butt plate with the oddball swivel. I would about bet Jeff and John could fix you up with what you want without all the shopping and I know they stand behind what they sell. Karsten |
|
|
I started out with A2 & flat top, went to all A1 and C7 uppers, using 14.5 with Phantom f/s, also 1/7 twist and M4 feed ramps. My Colt 20" is government profile barrel,C7 upper receiver with also barrel has the 1/7 twist. Gotta love simple and rugged and dependable no b/s ARs. TG |
|
I have a Colt SP-1 and as far as the sights are concerned, the easiest modification is to buy an E-1 adjustment drum from Bushmaster. When I bought this rifle, someone replaced the original pencil barrel with a Colt 1/9 heavy barrel so it's actually not a true SP-1 but I prefer this over the thin barrel anyway. I also replaced the Colt oval handguards with a set of regular carbine guards because I didn't like the feel of the original set. |
On my A1 upper, brass goes to 4 o'clock. On my C7 upper, brass goes to 1-2 o'clock. |
I've got A1 with no brass defector and my brass lands 3 o'clock about four feet away. Shok |
AR Sponsor
Join the Community
Your next conversation starts here.
Create your free account to join discussions, share your experience, save topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.
- Join discussions
- Follow topics and replies
- Connect with fellow enthusiasts
Already a member? Sign in
Stay informed by subscribing to our Newsletter

