Armory Sponsor
Posted: 4/29/2012 3:26:26 PM EDT
|
I had this nice Sony VCLHG2037X High Grade Telephoto Lens for my digital camrecorders and got a 37mm to 30mm step down ring to allow it to mount onto the objective of my PVS-14.
I have the 3X USGI lens too, but this one is just as bright and much less weight and quite often 2X is all I need to make the shot @ 200 yards at night. It only cost $60, so a good deal, nice large objective (70mm) and ocular lens (37mm). Most camrecorder teleconvertors are not high quality lens, this Sony is a Hi-Def lens and works really well on the PVS-14.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000063XWE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00 |
|
Quoted:
I had this nice Sony VCLHG2037X High Grade Telephoto Lens for my digital camrecorders and got a 37mm to 30mm step down ring to allow it to mount onto the objective of my PVS-14. I have the 3X USGI lens too, but this one is just as bright and much less weight and quite often 2X is all I need to make the shot @ 200 yards at night. It only cost $60, so a good deal, nice large objective (70mm) and ocular lens (37mm). Most camrecorder teleconvertors are not high quality lens, this Sony is a Hi-Def lens and works really well on the PVS-14. http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Sony%202X%20Tele/PVS%2014%202X%20Tele.jpg http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Sony%202X%20Tele/2X%20Top.jpg http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Sony%202X%20Tele/2X%20on%20Sig.jpg http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000063XWE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00 I have one of those in 55mm, works great! MIne has a little distortion around the edge, but i think its a knock off..
|
| I have a older model 2.5X High Def "Ultra Compact" Bower lens I use a 30-37mm step ring to fit PVS-14 lens. The 2.5X lens 55mm obj is much more compact(shorter length,less wide, and lighter weight) than the mil spec 3X Afocal and just as bright/clear on dark nights. The bad part is a High end Bower telephoto lens and is very costly at $200-$400 new depending on where you buy it new price. I bought mine on ebay less than $75 brand new I got lucky but you don't see them there very often. I like to use this lens do to its compact size and lite weight on my PVS-14 helmet INVG mount. I have the 14 in the tight stowed position and scan with the FLIR until I have a critter spotted. At that time I drop the 14 to the eye and IR laser the target for the shot. The 2.5X lens makes medium range targeting much,much,much better than the 1X. You can do the same thing with the Mil spec 3X afocal but its heavier and twice as long length giving you alot more forward feeling weight to the pvs-14 helmet setup. There are several good telephoto lens that work well with Nv but tons of cheap ones that suck you get what you pay for like anything else and alot of times a used mil spec 3X afocal on ebay is a better deal |
|
The cheaper ones that Bower makes have a tiny ocular lens that destroys the usefulness of these lightweight telephoto lenses.
The ocular on my HD Sony one is about 25mm, which is huge compared to the 8-9mm on some of the cheaper ones. If you do get a telephoto for your PVS-14, make sure it has as large an ocular as possible to feed into the objective lens of the PVS, and of course a 55 or 72mm objective on the front end works well for the most light pickup. Like terry1, I enjoy mine for its lighter weight and still clear optics, for my backyard stand out to 225 yards the 2X Telephoto works great behind an Eotech. For instance, this Bower is not good for the PVS, due to a tiny ocular lens of less than 9mm: http://www.amazon.com/Bower-37mm-Thread-Telephoto-Attachment/dp/B000FO9XSG/ref=dp_cp_ob_p_title_0 So watch out what you get, the bigger the ocular and objective the better. |
|
Quoted:
The cheaper ones that Bower makes have a tiny ocular lens that destroys the usefulness of these lightweight telephoto lenses. The ocular on my HD Sony one is about 25mm, which is huge compared to the 8-9mm on some of the cheaper ones. If you do get a telephoto for your PVS-14, make sure it has as large an ocular as possible to feed into the objective lens of the PVS, and of course a 55 or 72mm objective on the front end works well for the most light pickup. Like terry1, I enjoy mine for its lighter weight and still clear optics, for my backyard stand out to 225 yards the 2X Telephoto works great behind an Eotech. For instance, this Bower is not good for the PVS, due to a tiny ocular lens of less than 9mm: http://www.amazon.com/Bower-37mm-Thread-Telephoto-Attachment/dp/B000FO9XSG/ref=dp_cp_ob_p_title_0 So watch out what you get, the bigger the ocular and objective the better. Your Sonys ocular is 37. So would you say 37 or larger? Also will any telephoto lens attach to the 14? Edit; I see you got a step down ring |
| TexasKorn67, the 37mm is the just the thread size not the true glass lens ocular size. Skypup make sthe point you can have lens that are 37mm thread size and one have a 25mm glass ocular lens the other lens only may have a 10mm glass ocular lens. Why I can't tell you its just the way the lens were designed I have notice that the cheaper telephoto lens tend to have small rear ocular glass most of the time on average. I bought a nice sony 2X telephoto that worked great on my NV so ordered another sony lens different style but still a 2X and was surpised to find it had a tiny rear lens they really killed the light Trans the lens was worthless on my NV system. Live and learn the hard way sometimes thats where its nice to get user feedback on these forums so you don't make the same mistakes some of us made in the past ;) |
|
Very Nice looking set of lenses! There are not very many high quality telephoto lenses on the market and you have to be careful what you choose and get. Like terry1 mentioned, I would look for one that is certified for use on a Sony Digital Video Camrecorder because they have two special "Night Shooting" modes that use higher level IR light and the lens will be certified for infrared lightwave transmission all the way up to about 1,200-1,400 nm IR wavelengths for their night cam use. |
|
Think I nailed a nice cheap Telephoto lens that so far works great in the backyard, but going to take it out to my coyote stand tonight and see how well it works in the real world.
It is a Polaroid Super HD 4.5X Telephoto with a huge 70mm Objective Lens and a HUGE 58mm Ocular Lens that is IR compatible, light weight and only cost $70: http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Telephoto-Includes-Digital-55-210mm/dp/B004N6UM8W You will need a $4 30mm to 58mm step up ring to attach it to the 30mm objective lens of the PVS-14, I have mine screwed into the 760nm IR filter: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Metal-Anodized-Black-30mm-58mm/dp/B001G402OS/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338668242&sr=1-15 So far I think it is the best lens I have used on the PVS-14.
|
|
Quoted:
Think I nailed a nice cheap Telephoto lens that so far works great in the backyard, but going to take it out to my coyote stand tonight and see how well it works in the real world. It is a Polaroid Super HD 4.5X Telephoto with a huge 70mm Objective Lens and a HUGE 58mm Ocular Lens that is IR compatible, light weight and only cost $70: http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Telephoto-Includes-Digital-55-210mm/dp/B004N6UM8W You will need a $4 30mm to 58mm step up ring to attach it to the 30mm objective lens of the PVS-14, I have mine screwed into the 760nm IR filter: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Metal-Anodized-Black-30mm-58mm/dp/B001G402OS/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338668242&sr=1-15 So far I think it is the best lens I have used on the PVS-14. http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Poloraid%204.5X%20Tele/Front2.jpg http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Poloraid%204.5X%20Tele/Left.jpg http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Poloraid%204.5X%20Tele/Right.jpg Got some through the tube pics with these lenses? Vic |
|
I'll take some pics through the different lens systems later on this week.
In the meantime, the Polaroid 4.5X HD lens works fantastic mounted on the rail with using just the DBAL-I2 IR laser out past 200 yards but it sucks behind the Eotech reticule as either I have the distant background in focus and the Eotech center dot is two side by side dots, or I have the Eotech dot in focus and the far off distance is out of focus? With the Eotech turned off and just the laser on it is very nice though, even my buddy commented that he could take out a raccoon at two hundred yards with the laser through this lens when he tried it out. |
Armory Sponsor
Join the Community
Your next conversation starts here.
Create your free account to join discussions, share your experience, save topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.
- Join discussions
- Follow topics and replies
- Connect with fellow enthusiasts
Already a member? Sign in
Stay informed by subscribing to our Newsletter





















