Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
Previous Page
/ 3
Next Page
12/7/2017 1:50:47 PM EDT
So I just picked up a Marlin 1895 SBL, now to have it threaded for a Silencerco Hybrid.
Any recommended gunsmiths for this? Any feedback from owners of a similar setup is welcome.
12/7/2017 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I just picked up a Marlin 1895 SBL, now to have it threaded for a Silencerco Hybrid.
Any recommended gunsmiths for this? Any feedback from owners of a similar setup is welcome.
View Quote
Yes, Morgan with Class III machining in Texas is the only one I'll use.  I'm sure others will chime in and agree.

That said, are your sights perpendicular to your receiver?  I have been VERY skeptical of Remington quality since Marlin was sold to Remington.  I wouldn't mind a nice 44 Magnum lever action with a big loop lever and extended scope base, but I'd take a Rossi over a Marlington these days.
12/7/2017 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm wanting to do the same thing. Hope there's a smith that threads Marlin lever guns.
12/7/2017 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link to Morgan's thread.  +1 Super Happy customer here.
12/7/2017 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Any competent smith should be able to thread your barrel, its pretty easy. The new Marlins are fantastic and you might see some factory threaded versions just down the road
12/7/2017 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
This
12/7/2017 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The issue that your going to run into is if there is enough battle i front of the mag tube. I have thought about this before on mine. There is not much barrel out there. That and I don’t have a 45 can
12/7/2017 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:
Any competent smith should be able to thread your barrel, its pretty easy. The new Marlins are fantastic and you might see some factory threaded versions just down the road
View Quote
In .357?
12/8/2017 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes
12/8/2017 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote
44 Magnum?
12/8/2017 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:
Any competent smith should be able to thread your barrel, its pretty easy. The new Marlins are fantastic and you might see some factory threaded versions just down the road
View Quote
That would be cool...
12/8/2017 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote
Please let this be true
12/9/2017 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Class 3 machining did mine too.
Not completely happy with it but it was partially my fault for not being explicitly clear about what I wanted done and assuming he understood.

Attached File


Rather than shortening back the plug and end of the mag tube for clearance he shortened the receiver end of the tube and cut another dovetail in the barrel. I had to shorten the follower to get the 6th round in and it still doesn't want to go because the spring is binding.

I still need to order another mag tube and maybe a spare end plug to do it the way I want it.
12/10/2017 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Your job was done correctly and same way i have done hundreds of them. Here is your only  "instructions" you sent.
And as we said on the phone we can't reuse that original dovetail, impossible once you thread.  All the ones you see pics of were shortened with dovetail and tube flush with shoulder.



Quote History
Quoted:
Class 3 machining did mine too.
Not completely happy with it but it was partially my fault for not being explicitly clear about what I wanted done and assuming he understood.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/IMG_5292-386003.JPG

Rather than shortening back the plug and end of the mag tube for clearance he shortened the receiver end of the tube and cut another dovetail in the barrel. I had to shorten the follower to get the 6th round in and it still doesn't want to go because the spring is binding.

I still need to order another mag tube and maybe a spare end plug to do it the way I want it.
View Quote
12/10/2017 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#14]
And like I said it was my fault for not being explicitly clear and assuming what I wanted done was the common practice. The work you did is fine.

Shorten the mag tube plug. Make it identical on both sides of the screw hole. Shorten the muzzle end of the tube. In the pic I put up with the plug slid onto the stud in the original dovetail there is still clearance between it and the suppressor.
12/10/2017 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted:
And like I said it was my fault for not being explicitly clear and assuming what I wanted done was the common practice. The work you did is fine.

Shorten the mag tube plug. Make it identical on both sides of the screw hole. Shorten the muzzle end of the tube. In the pic I put up with the plug slid onto the stud in the original dovetail there is still clearance between it and the suppressor.
View Quote
The plug is flipped in the picture, so doing it this way would have no "cap" on the end of the tube anymore.  Never heard or seen it done like that, wish you would of sent intstructions and a drawing and I would of done it the way you wanted.

Don't want people thinking I did something incorrectly.
12/10/2017 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not trying to say you did it wrong. I wasn't clear on my instructions. I assumed that shortening the plug and tip of the tube was what everyone did because I've never seen another one with 2 dovetail cuts or looked like the barrel had been shortened.

I flipped it to show there is enough room. It shouldn't need the shoulder on the plug to hold the tube. The tube is still held by the stud and the screw. You could silver solder the plug into the end of the tube if someone is worried about it flying apart. Wouldn't hurt anything other than being different stepping and putting it back together.

You said you with the was another way to do it without cutting another dovetail. There it is.

ETA: I reassembled and rezeroed the gun after I got it back and it has been sitting in the safe since. I just finally ordered another mag tube and sacrificial plug so hopeful in the next week I can post pics for proof of concept.
12/10/2017 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm not trying to say you did it wrong. I wasn't clear on my instructions. I assumed that shortening the plug and tip of the tube was what everyone did because I've never seen another one with 2 dovetail cuts or looked like the barrel had been shortened.

I flipped it to show there is enough room. It shouldn't need the shoulder on the plug to hold the tube. The tube is still held by the stud and the screw. You could silver solder the plug into the end of the tube if someone is worried about it flying apart. Wouldn't hurt anything other than being different stepping and putting it back together.

You said you with the was another way to do it without cutting another dovetail. There it is.

ETA: I reassembled and rezeroed the gun after I got it back and it has been sitting in the safe since. I just finally ordered another mag tube and sacrificial plug so hopeful in the next week I can post pics for proof of concept.
View Quote
That way will work if you don't care about not having a cap.  I don't need any pics just need my name not brought up for something that nobody else does and instructions that didn't say to machine plug etc.

That post made it look like I was partially to blame.
"Thread to 5/8x24 shorten tube as needed"

The vast majority of ones I do it wouldn't matter on.

1. We cut them down, so new tube is flush with shoulder anyway.
2. The one with longer barrel than the tube, these are all flush mount.
12/11/2017 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#18]
If you go back to our initial email exchange.

"Ok. Just to be clear I only want the mag tube and plug shortened enough for suppressor clearance, not enough to reduce capacity."

Shorten the tube and plug, not cut another dovetail and night them back.

Your reply to that read as if what I was asking for was standard procedure.
12/11/2017 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#19]
You emailed me in April, never sent it in.

Then in September (5 months later) you started asking me where to send it etc on Facebook (with no mention of the work from the email).

Ya, didn't remember what we talked about 5 months prior to receiving it.

Quote History
Quoted:
If you go back to our initial email exchange.

"Ok. Just to be clear I only want the mag tube and plug shortened enough for suppressor clearance, not enough to reduce capacity."

Shorten the tube and plug, not cut another dovetail and night them back.

Your reply to that read as if what I was asking for was standard procedure.
View Quote
12/11/2017 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Like I said, your reply made it sound like what I wanted was standard procedure.

I didn't post to trash your work. Sorry if it came off that way. I just didn't want the op or anyone else to end up in the same position as me.

I just wanted to show what is apparently the common practice for you vs what is possible, what I wanted done and the advantages of that.
12/11/2017 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
Like I said, your reply made it sound like what I wanted was standard procedure.

I didn't post to trash your work. Sorry if it came off that way. I just didn't want the op or anyone else to end up in the same position as me.

I just wanted to show what is apparently the common practice for you vs what is possible, what I wanted done and the advantages of that.
View Quote
Sounds good, I wish you would have put that info in with it.

Would of been a much easier job on my end as well, those dovetails are tedious.

I like your idea, and if people didn't mind not having a cap would be a great option for some.

If you need that plug or anything modified just let me know and will get it done free.
12/11/2017 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
Any competent smith should be able to thread your barrel, its pretty easy. The new Marlins are fantastic and you might see some factory threaded versions just down the road
View Quote
This is the most important part of this thread.   I want.   Give us a rough time frame please!
12/11/2017 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:


This is the most important part of this thread.   I want.   Give us a rough time frame please!
View Quote


Yeah, seriously - if a factory threaded version is an option I'll hold off purchasing one until then.
12/11/2017 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Morgan did two of my rifles including a Marlin 336. All i wanted him to do was thread the barrel and I modified the tube myself. The thread job was nice and clean. Im happy and will have him thread more in the future.
12/11/2017 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagged for info. I need a 357 suppressed lever gun bad.

Real bad. Would love to find something in all stainless but I don't know if that even exists.
12/12/2017 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:
Tagged for info. I need a 357 suppressed lever gun bad.

Real bad. Would love to find something in all stainless but I don't know if that even exists.
View Quote
That’s exactly what I want (ed).  I’m going to get whatever finish and have it hard chromed.  Doing that will still be cheaper than paying for a stainless gun.  If you find it.
12/12/2017 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread is right up my alley.

I am interested in a threaded lever gun for my Hybrid to sit on. I'm thinking either .45 colt or 45/70

I don't want to blow multiple thousands. What models are the best to have threaded? Any to stay away from?

Sorry for the hijack
12/13/2017 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Attached File
Attached File

Attached File


Excellent work by @eastTXhunter as usual. 357 Henry 16 incher. By far the most fun at the range with 38spl.
12/13/2017 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
Morgan did two of my rifles including a Marlin 336. All i wanted him to do was thread the barrel and I modified the tube myself. The thread job was nice and clean. Im happy and will have him thread more in the future.
View Quote
This.
For my M92.
12/14/2017 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
It holds a full 6 rounds again! I'm going to leave the plug alone and not worry about soldering it in or anything else. The plug is holding the spring force. The only forward and rearward force on the tube is its own weight during recoil.
Attached File
Attached File
12/15/2017 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:
Any competent smith should be able to thread your barrel, its pretty easy. The new Marlins are fantastic and you might see some factory threaded versions just down the road
View Quote
Need a timeline on these factory threaded lever guns, that may affect my upcoming purchases!
12/15/2017 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Quoted:
It holds a full 6 rounds again! I'm going to leave the plug alone and not worry about soldering it in or anything else. The plug is holding the spring force. The only forward and rearward force on the tube is its own weight during recoil.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/IMG_5321-391343.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/IMG_5323-391344.JPG
View Quote
Based on the slo-mo vids I've seen of rifles being shot, that mag tube is gonna slam into your can under recoil.

I could be wrong.
12/15/2017 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
Any competent smith should be able to thread your barrel, its pretty easy. The new Marlins are fantastic and you might see some factory threaded versions just down the road
View Quote
Talk them into an all stainless gun with no stupid railed handguard or anything like that and you have a winner.
12/21/2017 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:

Need a timeline on these factory threaded lever guns, that may affect my upcoming purchases!
View Quote
I would go ahead and build what you want rather than wait for Remington to build what you want. Played this game too many times. The pistol cal lever guns are already hard to find and the 357’s are unicorns.
12/21/2017 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:

I would go ahead and build what you want rather than wait for Remington to build what you want. Played this game too many times. The pistol cal lever guns are already hard to find and the 357’s are unicorns.
View Quote
I understand what you communicating.   From my reading of the posts here, Remington will not be building these guns.  If they are, it will be in collaboration.
12/21/2017 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:
I understand what you communicating.   From my reading of the posts here, Remington will not be building these guns.  If they are, it will be in collaboration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go ahead and build what you want rather than wait for Remington to build what you want. Played this game too many times. The pistol cal lever guns are already hard to find and the 357’s are unicorns.
I understand what you communicating.   From my reading of the posts here, Remington will not be building these guns.  If they are, it will be in collaboration.
Who will be building them? AAC? Same same. Parts and supply.

I’ve been doing this a long time. I really hope they build some cool stuff but lots of people have just been waiting for a plain Jane 357 and they’ve had almost zero availability for the better part of a decade or more.
12/21/2017 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Page 10-11 of the 2018 Marlin catalog



You didn't get this from us
12/21/2017 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Morgan does amazing work at a blazing fast speed for a crazy cheap price. Can't get better than that.
12/21/2017 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Almost sported some composite wood over that one... but it's not in 44 magnum!  Make it in 44, and I'll buy my first new Remington (other than the R51 POS) since 1993.
12/21/2017 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quote History
Quoted:
Page 10-11 of the 2018 Marlin catalog

https://i.imgur.com/ApuAYju.jpg

You didn't get this from us
View Quote
Sweet if they actually build them. I still don’t understand why Mossberg hasn’t jumped into the pistol cal levergun market. Been a gaping hole for years even with Rossi doing their best to fill it.
12/21/2017 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:
Page 10-11 of the 2018 Marlin catalog
View Quote


I will buy one.
12/21/2017 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#42]
It's my understanding the .357 will be followed by a .44 mag, then other calibers. This will be an ongoing evolution, not a one-time thing.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
12/21/2017 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Quoted:
It's my understanding the .357 will be followed by a .44 mag, then other calibers. This will be an ongoing evolution, not a one-time thing.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
Interesting...
Can you comment on other finishes? I'd prefer blued over SS on a 357 lever but obviously beggars can't be choosers
12/21/2017 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Shot Show is soon.   I’ll be sure to check out Marlin when I’m there.
12/21/2017 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#45]
The all-weathers are, in all likelihood, going to be the first of any caliber released. If demand for blued/carbon-steel trumps the all-weather plan, we will respond accordingly.Other finished may be available through the custom shop, but that has yet to be determined.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
12/21/2017 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Quoted:
The all-weathers are, in all likelihood, going to be the first of any caliber released. If demand for blued/carbon-steel trumps the all-weather plan, we will respond accordingly.Other finished may be available through the custom shop, but that has yet to be determined.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
Fair enough
12/21/2017 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quote History
Quoted:
The all-weathers are, in all likelihood, going to be the first of any caliber released. If demand for blued/carbon-steel trumps the all-weather plan, we will respond accordingly.Other finished may be available through the custom shop, but that has yet to be determined.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
View Quote
Thanks for sharing that info, I'm excited! As far as finish I would prefer a more traditional looking blued/black and wood option (or better yet parkerized or Cerakote!). I'm not a fan of SS lever guns, but I'll deal with it for a threaded 16" .357 without all the hassles of DIY!
12/21/2017 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Quoted:
Morgan does amazing work at a blazing fast speed for a crazy cheap price. Can't get better than that.
View Quote
He did my AK when one good smith told me he couldn't do it and another "good" smith told me it couldn't be done.

AMAZING work.

If it can be done, Morgan can do it.
12/21/2017 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#49]
THAT will be so cool!

Rob
12/21/2017 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Quoted:

Interesting...
Can you comment on other finishes? I'd prefer blued over SS on a 357 lever but obviously beggars can't be choosers
View Quote
I would also prefer blued with a wood stock.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 3
Next Page
Armory Sponsor