Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2011 11:20:49 PM EDT
If you have a sbr bolt action please post some pics

I was curious why you don't see many sbr bolt action rifles? I saw one in 300 blackout (~10" barrel) and thought that would be one handy truck gun. It seems that not too many people are big on the idea.  I understand that with a sbr ar15 you can get multiple uppers for an unlimited amount of ways to configure your rifle on your lower but I like to get a rifle dialed in and leave it alone sometimes.
I've been thinking about a 6.8 spc, 300 blk, or 7.62x40 with a 10-12.5" bolt action in a manners t-5 or some folding stock would be a fun gun for hunting and plinking  that wouldn't be to awkward with a yhm ss can hanging off the end.  I know sbring my ar15 and slapping on an upper would be cheaper but I plan on saving up and piecing something together over the next few years.

Am I smoking too much late at night
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
generally speaking, a bolt gun is designed to be accurate at long ranges, or at least longer than most while being an 'accurate' platform vs semi's and the like (generally people, don't get all swacky on me).
With the intent of being 'accurate' (a bolt action), most people won't sabotage that by cutting the length of the barrel down into SBR lengths.

As a novelty I wouldn't mind having one, but for most purposes it just doesn't seem viable to me other than being a conversation or "Hey Bubba, looky what I got" thing.

Edit: I should note, this would be a bolt-action pistol, but with a shoulder stock (SBR), very accurate pistol maybe, same usage anyway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a post in the non-AR SBR picture thread (I believe) of a guy with an SBR'd R700 in .300blk

ETA:
Yep.

This belongs to ptaylor.  It's a 10" .300 Whisper

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
They are not tactical, or even pretty, but they are Bolt SBR's

Mosin 91/30 SBR. Still needs a bit of work on the metal, stock, threading, and scout scope rail for a red dot

M48 Mauser SBR. Looks a bit different now then in this pic. It now sports a 25rd magazine and a degroat flash enhancer.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I dig pretty much any short barreled rifle, but these I just don't get. The 91/30 and M48 sure look different, but it's nuts when the $200 tax is more than the rifle itself costs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I dig pretty much any short barreled rifle, but these I just don't get. The 91/30 and M48 sure look different, but it's nuts when the $200 tax is more than the rifle itself costs.

I agree about the tax. If i was not a dealer i would not have them. The mauser i found on Sturm for a steal. I figured why not, if anything i could take the bolt and receiver and sell them and come out ahead. The Mosin i did because, well, i just had it laying around and figured the M44 was already pretty damn loud, so 12" must be crazy, still thinking of going down to 8".

They are gun fun guns though. Cheap ammo and they are great conversation starters. They are LOUD and have HUGE flames. When i break them out and fire them people come over and start asking questions, i offer it up if they want to shoot it and it brings business. I have gotten several people interested in NFA this way and have sold NFA items to them. Even have a guy who im building an SBR mauser for as an ATV/Bush Plane gun

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are some sweet pics!!!

I wonder how that 300 whisper handles now with the can on it?

It's looks to have the same OAL as that AR15 and I wonder if that's a 16" upper on the AR.

Keep them coming.  

If one was to go with a folding stock who's would you go with?  (i have seen pictures of the Manners, McMillian (sp?), AI, AI with new skins, Eberlestock, Wiskey Chasis, and XLR chasis)
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If one was to go with a folding stock who's would you go with?  (i have seen pictures of the Manners, McMillian (sp?), AI, AI with new skins, Eberlestock, Wiskey Chasis, and XLR chasis)

I went with McRee Precision for a folding 700 stock and I'm very pleased with it. It weighs a lot though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

generally speaking, a bolt gun is designed to be accurate at long ranges, or at least longer than most while being an 'accurate' platform vs semi's and the like (generally people, don't get all swacky on me).

With the intent of being 'accurate' (a bolt action), most people won't sabotage that by cutting the length of the barrel down into SBR lengths.

As a novelty I wouldn't mind having one, but for most purposes it just doesn't seem viable to me other than being a conversation or "Hey Bubba, looky what I got" thing.

Edit: I should note, this would be a bolt-action pistol, but with a shoulder stock (SBR), very accurate pistol maybe, same usage anyway.

Bolt action rifles are not all designed for long range, take a .22lr for example. Secondly, if a person wanted to own a rifle to shoot subsonic rounds through a silencer, a shorter barrel is often better in that application so the rounds do not break the sound barrier. Last, barrel length has ZERO to do with accuracy, only velocity.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bolt action rifles are not all designed for long range, take a .22lr for example. Secondly, if a person wanted to own a rifle to shoot subsonic rounds through a silencer, a shorter barrel is often better in that application so the rounds do not break the sound barrier. Last, barrel length has ZERO to do with accuracy, only velocity.  

You beat me to it!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Im pretty sure this is filed under "Just because I can"
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You beat me to it!

Don't beat me up, I gave a disclaimer of sorts :)
I love bolt-actions, but for me the bolt-action sticks are
long range accurate, I've no need to SBR them. If I wanted
a SBR'd bolt gun it's primary focus would not be long range
accuracy.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You beat me to it!

Don't beat me up, I gave a disclaimer of sorts :)
I love bolt-actions, but for me the bolt-action sticks are
long range accurate, I've no need to SBR them. If I wanted
a SBR'd bolt gun it's primary focus would not be long range
accuracy.

True but its been proven that a .22LR bolt gun that has a 10" barrel is best for accuracy... and 16" barrels is the sweet spot for velocity
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mosin 91/30 SBR. Still needs a bit of work on the metal, stock, threading, and scout scope rail for a red dot

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/viper5243/MosinSBR.jpg

M48 Mauser SBR. Looks a bit different now then in this pic. It now sports a 25rd magazine and a degroat flash enhancer.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/viper5243/Dragon.jpg

Please post pics, I would love to see what you did!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/viper5243/MosinSBR.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/viper5243/Dragon.jpg

Please post pics, I would love to see what you did!

Once i get it back i'll post pics. It's getting a custom duracoat job done to it. The place do it does graphic design work and i gave them free rein to do what ever they wanted with it. The only thing i have been told it that it's getting a "zombie" finish. So im guess it's will to look like a zombie survival gun.

This is the most current photo of it i have. They sent it to me once they got the magazine fit, but pre-duracoat. (yes i know blurry, i didn't take it.)

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Dang....nobody here has a Desert Tactical?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#16]
The main reason why I SBR rifles is to restore their original configuration. E.g. MP5 with 16" barrel and UZI with a 16" barrel just look strange to me. To SBR them is to configure them the way they used to be designed before the .gov fungled it up. Pity about the $200 and the wait for each form to come back form the ATF but it is what it is.

But, to each his own. It's all good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top