Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2010 5:12:39 AM EDT
What barrel length is considered ideal on a FAL?

Obviously one wants to maintain as much FPS as possible, but I'm under no real illusions that the FAL is a sniper's stock and trade weapon.  

16" gives up about 250 fps, if I understand correctly, over the 20-21" variety.  While this is nowhere near as large of a big deal as with the 223/5.56, it's always nice to shoot a tad flatter with more energy (not to mention muzzle blast).

So what is the standard recommended?

16", muzzle blast and FPS drain be damned?

18", the happy middleman?

20-21", ballistics>handling?
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Obviously one wants to maintain as much FPS as possible, but I'm under no real illusions that the FAL is a sniper's stock and trade weapon.  

16" gives up about 250 fps, if I understand correctly, over the 20-21" variety.  While this is nowhere near as large of a big deal as with the 223/5.56, it's always nice to shoot a tad flatter with more energy (not to mention muzzle blast).

What is the intended purpose for the rifle?  The only reason( other than "It's freakin knarley dude") to make the barrel shorter is to adapt the rifle to a specific purpose.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Purpose, in my case, would be to serve as part of my SHTF force as well as possibly some hunting.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you an urban or rural dweller?  I'm guessing where you're allowed to rifle hunt, you're not shooting great distances.  The shorter barrel will be better for weight savings and maneuverability.
For SHTF shorter is better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Are you an urban or rural dweller?  I'm guessing where you're allowed to rifle hunt, you're not shooting great distances.  The shorter barrel will be better for weight savings and maneuverability.

Both.

Right now (likely to change soon), I live in the suburbs of Milwaukee, but work a bit more remote.  With any luck, I'll be more rural within the year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Both.  

Right now (likely to change soon), I live in the suburbs of Milwaukee, but work a bit more remote.  With any luck, I'll be more rural within the year.

Do you foresee a need to exit your vehicle quickly with your rifle ready to engage a target?  Do you intend to use the rifle as a home defense weapon? Other than these two circumstances, having a rifle barrel shorter than 21' isn't a benefit to a domestic civilian.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Likely a 'no' to both.  I see it as a SHTF MBR, giving me access to a caliber that I don't right now + hunting.  If I turn out to like it a ton, then I'll probably get more into them but right now that's where it stands.

I'm thinking the 18"
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Likely a 'no' to both.  I see it as a SHTF MBR, giving me access to a caliber that I don't right now + hunting.  If I turn out to like it a ton, then I'll probably get more into them but right now that's where it stands.

I'm thinking the 18"

I just got the 18" DSA STG58 and think it is just right.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Get (at least) one example of all three lengths.

FAL's are too much fun to only have one...

21"

18"

16"

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I voted 21" because that is how my Imbel kit was built, and remains.  Ideal?  I guess it depends on your purpose.  I suppose you lose some velocity with a shorter barrel, but how far are you going to be shooting and is a shorter barrel needed for whatever purpose you have in mind. I like my 21", it's not a close quarters rifle and the weight doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
As already expressed, the intended purpose will determine the best barrel length, but my vote is for an FAL with an 18" barrel, as I think it's the best "all around" barrel length for a .308 MBR. Especially for a GoTo rifle. Good mix of muzzle velocity and portability. Excellent man stopper, and descent hunting rifle out to 300m-400m, depending upon the skill of the shooter and ammunition used.

My 18" SA-58 (below) is actually one of two GoTo rifles for me; the other one being a 7.62x39 Krink.
Soon I will be scoping her with a Leupold FX-11 in 4X33mm with a custom reticle calibrated for some .147g  

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Anything past 18" is just extra length and weight.  Velocity is very nearly the same and accuracy is often better with the shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]
18" IMBEL kit on DSA receiver, built it myself.

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice sneakers man...!!!

Oh, and the 18" Imbel isn't bad either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
21" FTW.

Forget what the "compromisers" say

To compare this question to real, actual use.  Consider recent events when our soldiers use MBR 7.62 rifle type autoloaders.   This reference is to the M-14 type rifles you see in pictures in Iraq and Afghanistan.    Our men are usually static, foot patrol/kicking in doors or mobile by truck.  

How long are those .30 caliber barrels that were using in those pics?  

Goes back to the same point I always make about FALs,AR 10s,M-14s.  If you're gonna shoot .30 cal rifle rounds, most of the time doing so out of a Rifle is gonna pan out better than a Carbine.

Plus.  If you get into some end of the world zombie attack.  You'd most likely by trying to put as much distance between you and danger.   So long shots may very well end up being the rule and not the exception.    

Just like some of you may think clearing rooms with a 21" looks silly,  I think you'd look like a damn retard not being able to hit shit at 600yds with your 7.62 sbr.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#15]
i voted 16 as it still hits like a hammer compared AR's and AK's  the velocity diffrence isnt as significant especially considering i live on the east coast, i dont have the range availible to me to actually see the benifits of a longer barrel, thus why i went for mobility
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I went w the 18 and am quite happy with the results
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
21" FTW.

Forget what the "compromisers" say

To compare this question to real, actual use.  Consider recent events when our soldiers use MBR 7.62 rifle type autoloaders.   This reference is to the M-14 type rifles you see in pictures in Iraq and Afghanistan.    Our men are usually static, foot patrol/kicking in doors or mobile by truck.  

How long are those .30 caliber barrels that were using in those pics?  

Goes back to the same point I always make about FALs,AR 10s,M-14s.  If you're gonna shoot .30 cal rifle rounds, most of the time doing so out of a Rifle is gonna pan out better than a Carbine.

Plus.  If you get into some end of the world zombie attack.  You'd most likely by trying to put as much distance between you and danger.   So long shots may very well end up being the rule and not the exception.    

Just like some of you may think clearing rooms with a 21" looks silly,  I think you'd look like a damn retard not being able to hit shit at 600yds with your 7.62 sbr.

So, what do you think the advantage is of a 21" barrel on an FAL over an 18" barrel?  We are talking FALs, not M14s....

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Right now (likely to change soon), I live in the suburbs of Milwaukee,

bummer

With any luck, I'll be more rural within the year.

North or toward Madison?

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]
17.5"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top