Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I use plastic Folgers coffee cans.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My precision stuff stays in MTM ammo boxes until ready to process, they get run thru the process clean/size/load and then depending on what's going on they will go back into the MTM cases weather as ready to load brass or loaded brass..Once in a while I might put clean brass into zip lock baggies for storage if its not being loaded anytime soon..For stuff I am going to load for use soon, it normally goes into loading trays if its not in the MTM cases...

Some trays loaded with ELR stuff getting ready to go thru...

Attachment Attached File

Some precision rds getting ready to be processed, they've been in boxes for years......

Attachment Attached File

MTM cased ammo, these are current ready to go ammo, different load in every box...

Attachment Attached File

Some brass already case prepped , just  need to dump in some powder and seat a bullet...

Attachment Attached File

Stuff like plinking rounds for pistols/AR's and such, will generally get gone thru and either loaded up in mags or loose loaded into ammo cans...The precision stuff gets the fancy treatment...
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a combo of the plastic shoe boxes and 5 gallon buckets.

Usually the plastic shoe boxes are for smaller qty stuff, prepped brass in certain stages, etc.

9, 40, 45, 223 are all regulated to 5 gallon buckets given the qty....well 40 would be but I traded off a bunch a while back now I need more
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
For processed brass: I use the clear rectangular tubs from Costco because they're stackable and easy to see whats inside.

For unprocessed I keep it in 5 gal buckets and process it once the bucket's full.

Usual flow is a 5 gal of dirty brass in the garage. It gets tumbled then goes into another 5 gal bucket in my reloading room. Once the inside bucket is full is when I process whatever caliber that is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, doesn't seem worth it for my needs for 'decent'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How great or ok are those sorting trays? Worth the $50-60? Been contemplating them for years.

I have a set, and they work decent at sorting into the major case diameters.

I recently acquired a set. They solve the .380-9mm-.40 problem well. That was worth it to me.

As to brass storage, I've graduated from a mountain of Folger's coffee cans to the shoebox totes at $1 or so each. Helps me keep the inventory moving between "Dirty" "Clean" "Sized" "Trimmed" "Ready to Load".
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using the plastic jars in which we get mixed nuts.  They're squarish so they maximize space side-by-side and will stack providing the upper containers aren't too heavy.  In them I have empty handgun shells, projectiles and loaded rounds.  I often label the contents by printing the info and placing inside the jar inside facing out.

In the past I have used empty coffee containers but they being opaque, unless labeled, have to be opened to see their contents and volume.  It's nice to have multiples of the same container instead of a bunch of random stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have found that using large containers like 5 gallon buckets is counterproductive. I don't shoot competitively or every day and don't process thousands of cases.  I use big box store clear plastic nut jars and shoebox sized plastic boxes, but avoid dollar store boxes as they are flimsy. Snap latch and screw lids are a good thing.  And call me boomer but I use a Dymo label printer to note caliber, condition, etc. If I don't get to complete the process it's nice to know if a particular lot of shiny cases is just cleaned and deprimed or is sized, trimmed, and ready to load.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, they stack

Am I the only one that uses color magic markers to track how many times they've been fired? I don't have case trimmers and all that so I only re-use them 3-4 times.
View Quote

If thats rifle ammo, I’d bet your cases get past max length. I’m always a little annoyed at how many once-fired exceed max case length.

I use 5 gal buckets and 1 gal ziplocks. I use paper cards inside for labeling/tracking.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I use an assortment of clear large plastic pretzel tubs or more medium sized plastic snack containers (same sorta stuff everyone else in this thread uses), but I recently picked up two large 4 quart flat food bins (probably 4" tall X 12" wide X 20" or so long) for wet tumbled clean, unprocessed brass, and another for the same brass except it's been annealed. I like to anneal 300-500 pieces of brass at a time. Each one probably holds 1000 pieces of 223 brass, easy. This has worked great. I really should get another 6-8 of these bins and toss out the rest of the other ones. These stack nicely, but hold a ton. I can't stack the pretzel/snack bins, which is becoming an issue.

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I recently acquired a set. They solve the .380-9mm-.40 problem well. That was worth it to me.

As to brass storage, I've graduated from a mountain of Folger's coffee cans to the shoebox totes at $1 or so each. Helps me keep the inventory moving between "Dirty" "Clean" "Sized" "Trimmed" "Ready to Load".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How great or ok are those sorting trays? Worth the $50-60? Been contemplating them for years.

I have a set, and they work decent at sorting into the major case diameters.

I ended up getting them. Lol. Done loading for the season though so will wait until next year to try them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

thats fine, obviously it has limits by the design. If you lost it, would you be on Amazon again purchasing it before the day was done?
(Kind of what I'm getting at/ looking for)
View Quote
Definitely

I think it works great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used old Folgers coffee plastic containers (the big ones).

I've used my son's mega Lego blocks containers...my favorite.

I've used other used food containers to sort brass in such a way like how many times they've been fired, etc.

I'm very organized, but don't have a setup quite yet like some of the guys that posted here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the Rubbermaid "Take Alongs" that are sold in most stores in the kitchen utilinsil area. The smaller ones for projectiles, larger ones for brass. They are super cheap and work well. I've been using them for a decade now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not much of a high volume reloader but i been using a mix of these Sterilite medium tote and 2lb nut buckets.  the totes are just the right size to stack and can hold batches of 500 brass [depending on case]  and the nut buckets hold some bulk bullets with out getting tooooo heavy. all clear to make identifying easy.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not much of a high volume reloader but i been using a mix of these Sterilite medium tote and 2lb nut buckets.  the totes are just the right size to stack and can hold batches of 500 brass [depending on case]  and the nut buckets hold some bulk bullets with out getting tooooo heavy. all clear to make identifying easy.
This is what I use, nut containers for the brass I will reload soon, Kitty litter containers for storage and 5 gal buckets with a lid.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51FHlzdxZ+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/813zLUt1RJL._SL1500_.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I was really into USPSA and IDPA matches and was RO’ing and SO’ing major/national level matches, those sorting trays worked awesome!  All the major matches are known as “lost brass matches”.  And since the SO’s and RO’s are all volunteers, it is just ASSumed the brass goes to them.

I remember one major match I was the SO in a car stage.  All the shooting by the competitors was done from inside the driver’s seat.  So all the brass landed inside the car.  The car didn’t have a backseat and all the carpet was ripped out.  On the last day of the match, I brought my sorting trays and a big rubber maid tub… maybe some buckets too.   When we were tearing down the stages, I turned  to my scorekeeper and said “Here I brought these trays and this tub for you.  I have enough brass already.”  Man-oh-man!  His face lit up.  I would say in 15 to 30 minutes, he had all the brass out of the car and sorted into 9’s , .40’s , and .45’s ….while I went and tore down other stages.  I came back to our car stage and he was already relaxing under this canopy/awning  in the shade.  He had my trays and tub (and maybe buckets too) all organized and set to get packed up.  I was like “Done already?”  “A’yup!”  I said “That was fast!”  

Back more on topic….

I used ammo cans.  EDIT:  .30 cal, .50 cal, fat .50’s

For really bulk stuff over the years that I had collected, I used 5 gallon buckets.  

FAKE EDIT #2:  I want to say at some point  I did use either plastic pretzel tubs that were clear plastic and/or something like those plastic Sterilite storage totes/tubs.  And one of them fell off the bench or off a closet shelf , cracked or split open and brass went everywhere.

That said, my 100 year old house’s wood floors have a really good dent in them from when a full .30 cal ammo can came crashing down.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#19]
All unprocessed brass goes into buckets. I sort by hand since that is where I do my culling for defects.

Brass that has been fully processed/primed gets sorted into those big green plastic shoe boxes you can buy off of Amazon. Each is identified by Sharpie on a piece of masking tape.

Loaded rifle ammo is stored in 50 ct white plastic ammo blocks and then into an ammo can.  When going to the range I move what I want to shoot into clear MTM boxes.  The fired brass goes right back into the same box for transfer to the buckets.

I never considered a brass sorting screen, that would be handy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Most of my brass is in Akro-bins; the overflow is in whatever is handy.

I don't separate rifle brass by prep stage. When I set down to reload rifle stuff, I go through all the steps during that session since I'm usually loading 100 or less.

The exception is .223 which I send out to M&S for processing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top