Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got both a 12ga and a 20ga H&R and the 20 is my favorite by far.  The 12ga is punishing to shoot more than a few rounds out of.  On the 20ga, I swapped out the furniture for the Choate versions (they make several types but the standard has a rubber buttpad and sling loop already on it- the buttpad being the desirable feature; there is a standard length and a youth model if you want shorter), made a sling out of some webbing and added an elastic shell holder for the stock.  The barrel is cut back to 18.5" and threaded for a choke tube which turned it from spraying shot all over the place into a very capable hunting piece.  I've shot skeet with it on several occasions and it makes a very quick handling rabbit gun.  With some practice you can shoot it like Clint does in that video; you do have to watch out for spent shells though as it chunks them with some force and they hurt when they hit you in the forehead (I cant the gun slightly outward when I break it open if I'm keeping it on my shoulder).  

Mine rides with me in my truck most of the time; it also makes a great tractor/four wheeler gun.  I've thought about adding some inexpensive rifle style sights but for now it wears one of those inexpensive snap on Hi-Viz sights against the gold bead.  

FWIW, I've also got one of the .38/.357 inserts but I'd say it's not worth the money.  The rifled versions may be great, but the short non-rifled version is very inaccurate, definitely not something I'd count on taking game with.  That said, I'd like to try one of the longer rifled versions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got back from my small local gun show where I struck out on finding an inexpensive used single shot.  I wasn't even able to find an inexpensive new one - eta. by that I mean everything similar to what I was seeking seemed to be nearly $300 and up.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out at the pawn shops.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just got back from my small local gun show where I struck out on finding an inexpensive used single shot.  I wasn't even able to find an inexpensive new one - eta. by that I mean everything similar to what I was seeking seemed to be nearly $300 and up.

My local pawh shop had no les than 20 of them had 119 on them but I know they didnt give more than 20-25 a piece for them on pawn.  My buddy and I are going back in on payday and offering 50 a piece.  I expect to pay no more than 75 for one used in decent working shape.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local pawh shop had no les than 20 of them had 119 on them but I know they didnt give more than 20-25 a piece for them on pawn.  My buddy and I are going back in on payday and offering 50 a piece.  I expect to pay no more than 75 for one used in decent working shape.

Yep. Anything more than that defeats my purpose of having something I can leave in my vehicle without having to worry about the financial loss if it's stolen.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 12 gauge version at a pawn shop, in like new condition, for $65.  I cut the barrel to 19", it is super compact and looks like it should be an SBS (it isn't).  Recoil is "brisk", and without any sort of recoil pad, painful with 00 Buck, but the gun does its job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got one on gun broker for 60 shipped. Im gonna cut it down to 18, cut the stock to 12, and stick an allen cuff on and my truck gun will be done
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I would make sure the barrel length is no shorter than 18.5", that way there is no question if their yardstick is a little short. Overall length has to be at least 26", again add 1/2" for piece of mind.

I had read somewhere that certain states have other restrictions, example Michigan I belive is an overall length of 30" minimum. Check to make sure before cutting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
These can be made particularly compact because of the short length of the receiver (compared to a pump or auto). Like others have said, any gun is better than no gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Just be sure to pattern it before you rely on it.  In my experience once you chop the barrels on these guns they really open up- like a lot wider than you'd think and into the "Hmm, that's not good" realm.  

Quick story- right after I chopped my 20ga I was trying to shoot a rabbit from a a few yards away with number 7.5 (what I had on me as I'd had it on the tractor for snakes and rats).  Anyways, the first shot completely misses, like the rabbit is still sitting there looking at my friend and me.  He's laughing so hard he doesn't even think to try shooting it with the .22 rifle he's carrying.  I throw a #3 buck (hard to find buck in 20ga) in the gun and fire again.  The rabbit is still just sitting there and my friend is about to fall over laughing.  I charged the rabbit with the gun held like a club and he hopped off into the briars beside the field.  I sent the barrel out to be threaded for a choke the next week and it shoots amazingly well now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I took my Topper to the hometown arfcom shoot this weekend and had a great time with it. I decided to take some pics after I cleaned her up, Enjoy.

It's going to take a good week for the bruise on my shoulder to go down from shooting a handful of 3" magnum slug loads
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took my Topper to the hometown arfcom shoot this weekend and had a great time with it. I decided to take some pics after I cleaned her up, Enjoy.
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/topperfront.jpg
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/topperback.jpg

It's going to take a good week for the bruise on my shoulder to go down from shooting a handful of 3" magnum slug loads

Nice!

I picked one up at a pawn shop today for just under $100 in real good shape. I'll start looking at options on the barrel length now.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
In regards to pattern...would it help to chamfer the ends of the chopped barrel?

Has anybody ported the barrel on these to reduce recoil?

Plus for what most people use it for chopped down does it need to pattern as it is gonna be a tactical defender in bad breath distances.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I sent the barrel out to be threaded for a choke the next week and it shoots amazingly well now.

Can you give me an idea of how much that cost?

Quoted:
In regards to pattern...would it help to chamfer the ends of the chopped barrel?

Has anybody ported the barrel on these to reduce recoil?

Plus for what most people use it for chopped down does it need to pattern as it is gonna be a tactical defender in bad breath distances.

Excellent questions.

I am not wanting to spend a whole lot more money on this thing, and the answers to some of these might make the difference in what part, if any, I can do myself.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
For down the hallway distances the gun was probably OK, but honestly I had a hard time busting hand thrown skeet with it (I normally shoot skeet well), buckshot wouldn't put more than a pellet or two in a can from a few yards and the aforementioned bunny tale.  Mine may have been a fluke, but after cutting the barrel it was way worse than any cylinder bore 12ga I own.

Honestly I can't recall but it was less than $100 including the tube.  I used Mike Orlen who advertises on Shotgunworld.com.  No problems and quick turnaround; I did it a couple of years ago though.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
May have to rethink my New England Arms Handi rifle after seeing this. I bought one with a 30.06 barrel and sent it back to have a .223 bull barrel and a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel fitted to it. Even with cheap glass the .06 and .223 give great accuracy and I'm pleased with that. The slug barrel however is a different animal. It has iron sights on it but is extremely uncomfortable to shoot. Hard to get a good cheek weld on the stock and line the sights up. I was able to hit a 6x8 inch plate with it at 50 yards with little effort though.  Looks like it's time to drag it out and play a bit. I would think this gun would be more useful with the center fire barrels though.
I do have an old Stevens .410 in the closet.   Hmmm.....

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For down the hallway distances the gun was probably OK, but honestly I had a hard time busting hand thrown skeet with it (I normally shoot skeet well), buckshot wouldn't put more than a pellet or two in a can from a few yards and the aforementioned bunny tale.  Mine may have been a fluke, but after cutting the barrel it was way worse than any cylinder bore 12ga I own.

Honestly I can't recall but it was less than $100 including the tube.  I used Mike Orlen who advertises on Shotgunworld.com.  No problems and quick turnaround; I did it a couple of years ago though.  

Thanks. I am going to check into this. If I am going to have someone tap the barrel for a choke, then I might as well have them do the cutting and bead installation as well, seeing how I am sure they would do it better.  

Oh, and scratch that crap I said about not spending more money. I was just trying to fool myself with that. It is not in my nature to not spend money on guns, and as a matter of fact, I kind of enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Another consideration, about the .410 shotgun.  

My elderly mother lives out in the country and is only interested in one gun, her .410 single shot.  She knows she can hit with, knows that it will kill, and knows that it won't kick hard enough to bruise her shoulder.  

I took a 20 ga Stoeger Coach Gun up there, she wouldn't touch it.  Same with a .22 single shot, no interest, much less anything bigger.  

So if there are any elderly folks, or non gun folks, in your plans ... consider a .410 single shot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a couple local gunsmiths here that could do the porting and chamfering.  May try that first then work out from there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know what kind of finish is on the newer Pardners?
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty sure its good ol fashioned bluing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Take a look at the receiver, it looks park'd.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it looks case hardened.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Thefinish on the receiver is different than  the barrel at least in color and looks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it looks case hardened.

Yes on the old ones, the new ones are not case hardened.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I will admit I could be wrong but the NIB ones I saw recently were case hardened so I would like to see a parkd one.  I actually would prefer to have one all parkd.  

Now you have me on the search.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know about the new ones, but the older models had case colored receivers and blued barrels.  Mine's gotten wet a few times and the barrel will quickly get spots of surface rust if you don't keep it oiled but the receiver seems fine.  I keep meaning to order some Duracoat and paint both parts but I haven't gotten around to it.  Maybe I'll paint it HK black- it'd double the value you know.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a 12, 20 and .410 last year at Walmart and they were all blue, the older ones had a case colored frame and blue barrel. You might find an old stock one with case colors somewhere or a used one. I have never seen one parkerized.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought a 12, 20 and .410 last year at Walmart and they were all blue, the older ones had a case colored frame and blue barrel. You might find an old stock one with case colors somewhere or a used one. I have never seen one parkerized.

I thought about going the Walmart route but they tell me they dont get them in anymore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I think they have quit selling them, I tried 3 different Walmarts in my area and they all said they did not have them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I was fortunate enough to stay home during my undergrad. When I moved out for graduate school, I had little interest in dealing with Michigan's handgun laws or bringing one of my AR15's and risk losing it to someone burning the apartment complex down or having it stolen in a break in. Then I remembered the $80 20 gauge pardner my father bought me when I was a kid.

So I left everything else with my parents and brought with me:

It sits in the walk-in closet next to my bed with a #4 buck in the tube.

I took the barrel down to 18.5" and took 1.5" out of the LOP. It's now right around 33" in OAL.

The REAL fun part of it is that it's now so light that I can run it one handed while shouldered without stressing my wrist. Leaving my other hand free to run my surefire and manipulate doors and etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was fortunate enough to stay home during my undergrad. When I moved out for graduate school, I had little interest in dealing with Michigan's handgun laws or bringing one of my AR15's and risk losing it to someone burning the apartment complex down or having it stolen in a break in. Then I remembered the $80 20 gauge pardner my father bought me when I was a kid.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l309/Toddles2/DSC04890.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l309/Toddles2/photo2-1.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l309/Toddles2/photo3-1.jpg

I took the barrel down to 18.5" and took 1.5" out of the LOP. It's now right around 33" in OAL.

The REAL fun part of it is that it's now so light that I can run it one handed while shouldered without stressing my wrist. Leaving my other hand free to run my surefire and manipulate doors and etc.

Very cool! What buttstock pouch is that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool! What buttstock pouch is that?

Looks similar to a Blackhawk one I saw somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That sir is BADASS
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#35]
The shell caddy on the stock is from Tactical Tailor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Gonna try to go make me a deal on one this week. so I can get started.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's the NEF I bought last week with some Choate furniture. With an 18.5" barrel and the youth stock, the gun is just under 32" long and weighs less than 5 lbs.  I have a feeling I am going to end up putting some weight in the stock.  I will try to get out next week and see how it shoots with this shortened barrel. Depending on how that goes I may end up having it tapped for a choke before it's over with.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Pukin, do you carry/shoot it with the ammo in the sling?  I bet that ammo weighs half of the weight of the gun itself; isn't hard to keep the muzzle steady with that swinging back and forth?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pukin, do you carry/shoot it with the ammo in the sling?  I bet that ammo weighs half of the weight of the gun itself; isn't hard to keep the muzzle steady with that swinging back and forth?

I haven't used it with this gun yet, but with another shotgun I just looped it over my foream to keep the weight from dangling.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone seen Clint Smith use a single shot shotgun
for home defense?
I looked for the video, could not fine it.
He is good! Darn fast!!!
If you can fine the video, watch it.

PITA45
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
for home defense?
He is good! Darn fast!!!

PITA45

From Page 1:

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't used it with this gun yet, but with another shotgun I just looped it over my foream to keep the weight from dangling.

After playing around this set-up today I decided I against it. Thanks for the input RedRushin.

I now have an ATI shell holder holder attached to the stock. I think I like this much better, but time will tell.

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for home defense?

He is good! Darn fast!!!

PITA45

From Page 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

The empty shells bouncing off of his hat at 1:48 and beyond doesn't even phase him.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#45]
No worries pukindog.  Learned that lesson myself.  Really sweet set up by the way.  Like everyone who's even glanced through this thread, I'll be keeping an eye out for a cheap single shot 12g.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

After playing around this set-up today I decided I against it. Thanks for the input RedRushin.

I now have an ATI shell holder holder attached to the stock. I think I like this much better, but time will tell.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc457/pukindog1/various/NEF092312F_zps83b45244.jpg

Nice but you need a light.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]
That's pretty much what my 20ga looks like.  I decided against the mounted shell carrier since it limits you to right handed use; with the elastic cuff I can rotate it quickly if the need should ever arise.  Be sure you keep your forward hand back far enough that you don't slam it into the sling swivel when it recoils.  That thumb screw head on the swivel will cut you- ask how I know.    As noted, if you are going to run it from the shoulder keep your head tucked and let the barrel drop or it'll chuck a shell right into your forehead.  I actually cant it slightly outward since it shucks empties with enough force to hurt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nice but you need a light.

I doubt I will put a light on it. It's really intended to be a truck gun. But who knows? I am apparently always looking for an excuse to spend more money

I do have a light on my 870 at the house.

Quoted:
That's pretty much what my 20ga looks like.  I decided against the mounted shell carrier since it limits you to right handed use; with the elastic cuff I can rotate it quickly if the need should ever arise.  Be sure you keep your forward hand back far enough that you don't slam it into the sling swivel when it recoils.  That thumb screw head on the swivel will cut you- ask how I know.    As noted, if you are going to run it from the shoulder keep your head tucked and let the barrel drop or it'll chuck a shell right into your forehead.  I actually cant it slightly outward since it shucks empties with enough force to hurt.

Glad I read this before heading to the range, Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
for home defense?
He is good! Darn fast!!!

PITA45

From Page 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

" I don't need a thousand dollar shotgun... I need to know how to run the one I got.."

Words of wisdom from Clint!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, I took my NEF to the range yesterday and the front fell off.  The forearm actually. The lug that holds the attachment screw broke.

I only fired 5 shots - two of low recoil buckshot, 1 low recoil birdshot, 1 birdshot mini-shell and 1 buckshot minishell - then it broke.

This thing looks like it might have been held on with JB weld - don't know anything about it's previous life since I bought it used at a pawn shop.  I have a friend who thinks he can weld it back in place, but he has only seen these pictures at this point.

Before it broke here were my 2nd and 3rd shots at 10 yards - Federal low recoil 00 buck on the left and Fiochi low recoil 7 1/2 on the right.

eta: the above shots are with my cut-off 18.5" barrel, no choke.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top