User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interested to see how/if they addressed the “3d cans can’t be repaired” issue
View Quote

hopefully they tackled this issue like how my mod9 is constructed: the booster housing is serialized and the main tube threads into it. yes, its one more piece to come loose and add to tolerance stacking but it solves my 'cant be repaired gripe' when it comes to 3d printed stuff.

i will say this teaser seemed to all have us guessing. i was for sure convinced they weren't going to do a 50 cal can and then I was tricked into thinking they were.

for the sake of clarity, this is a can with a booster correct? since they already have the wolfman (and the odessa is lame, IMO), I'm assuming yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If they’re shooting them all through the same gun, that’s true innovation.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm hoping for something integral. I will buy it if it is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interested to see how/if they addressed the “3d cans can’t be repaired” issue
View Quote

Are they one of the companies that EA licensed their ID ring to?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Any actual details yet? I can't find anything
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any actual details yet? I can't find anything
View Quote

Palm Beach Tactical on Instagram posted a photo of the exterior and interior.  

@atlmike - if you are out there, I spotted your signature design fingerprint all over the exterior of this silencer and it looks awesome.  I bet the endcap is hand-removable, huh?  Also, the amount of surface area in the "stack" (now I guess we say "core?") is super exciting.  

What a time to be alive!!!!

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a hollowed out spline shaft, but if it works well, I’m in for one, aesthetics be damned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]

That is pretty wild.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.

Price?  Specs?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What I presume is Dead Air's parent company also filed something with the patent and trademark office the same day as the Mojave 9 for something called the Nomax 33
View Quote

I think they mentioned something about a Nomax 33 a couple years ago. With the 8.6 Blackout hype, now would be the time to bring it to market.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Would be cool if these Triscuit baffles were removable.  Doesn't say that anywhere though so I'm guessing not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would be cool if these Triscuit baffles were removable.  Doesn't say that anywhere though so I'm guessing not.
View Quote

If these baffles are half as good as the crackers, they may really be on to something..... Now that they have this not-Wolfman intro'd into the lineup alongside their Wolfman, I'm hoping the Nomax 33 is next up to bat.

Seems likely that DA told us what to expect in terms of the order of upcoming cans with those insta posts: 9mm > .338 > .45 (probably carbine can) > .50 bmg > 12 ga.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seems likely that DA told us what to expect in terms of the order of upcoming cans with those insta posts: 9mm > .338 > .45 (probably carbine can) > .50 bmg > 12 ga.
View Quote

That’s a bold prediction
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Do the baffles come out for cleaning?  Discrete baffles or is each stack monolithic?  For cast lead if the stack doesn’t come out and the tube is 7075 I’d assume you can’t use the dip, CLR, or ultrasonic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Played with it today at shot show. Very cool. I’m sold. Todd you got me again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do the baffles come out for cleaning?  Discrete baffles or is each stack monolithic?  For cast lead if the stack doesn’t come out and the tube is 7075 I’d assume you can’t use the dip, CLR, or ultrasonic.
View Quote

It does not come out for cleaning. The core and tube are 3D printed in one piece
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ll be buying one of these
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#21]
ok thats sexy as hell
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It does not come out for cleaning. The core and tube are 3D printed in one piece
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That being the case, & that Al, SS, & Ti comprise the materials, 1 of the modular segments - which I presume to be the smaller end module - will be "undippable" Al & challenging to clean with that baffle profile.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, cast bullets are a niche anyway, and perhaps whatever component is 7075 aluminum is removable (front cap maybe).  Seems like it’s more of a lightweight rifle can with pistol capability.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Both the front and rear modules of the Mojave 9 are entirely printed from Grade 5 Titanium, inside and out. The outer surfaces and the inner surfaces appear to be different materials because we turn and contour the exterior prior to blast and coating. We did this so that people would see the usual smooth outer surface that they are accustomed to seeing with a silencer made the old-fashioned way from machined baffles placed in a tube. The splines are a printed feature. If you look at the troughs in between the splines on the outside of the rear module, you can still see some of the as-printed finish.

There are two 7075 components on Mojave; the front end cap, and the back cap that contains the piston and piston spring. We've added a nitrided stainless insert to the back cap so the piston rides in a steel bore rather than aluminum.

All of the booster parts are stainless steel. Mojave uses Odessa pistons with a 3/4" shank and a 1" head.

In the event of damage to the rear module, there is a repair method in place that involves removal of the serialized area on the rear of the silencer that contains the interface threads for the booster, and welding it to a printed replacement rear module specifically designed for repair purposes.

The Mojave has very good back pressure characteristics and produces a really nice, earthy tone.

SilentMike
Dead Air
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Both the front and rear modules of the Mojave 9 are entirely printed from Grade 5 Titanium, inside and out. The outer surfaces and the inner surfaces appear to be different materials because we turn and contour the exterior prior to blast and coating. We did this so that people would see the usual smooth outer surface that they are accustomed to seeing with a silencer made the old-fashioned way from machined baffles placed in a tube. The splines are a printed feature. If you look at the troughs in between the splines on the outside of the rear module, you can still see some of the as-printed finish.

There are two 7075 components on Mojave; the front end cap, and the back cap that contains the piston and piston spring. We've added a nitrided stainless insert to the back cap so the piston rides in a steel bore rather than aluminum.

All of the booster parts are stainless steel. Mojave uses Odessa pistons with a 3/4" shank and a 1" head.

In the event of damage to the rear module, there is a repair method in place that involves removal of the serialized area on the rear of the silencer that contains the interface threads for the booster, and welding it to a printed replacement rear module specifically designed for repair purposes.

The Mojave has very good back pressure characteristics and produces a really nice, earthy tone.

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

Fantastic.

I don't currently own a DA suppressor but have been really impressed with everything I've read about your company. My next two cans will be DA. Thanks for pushing the envelope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Very cool design and love the ingenuity.  Fingers crossed for something else maybe a 556 can.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, cast bullets are a niche anyway, and perhaps whatever component is 7075 aluminum is removable (front cap maybe).  Seems like it’s more of a lightweight rifle can with pistol capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only aluminum part is the endcap and parts of the booster cage
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like CGS and DA are both working on basically similar 9mm things.

I do like the smooth outside cosmetic features of the DA can.

@Atlmike
Is this one supposed to be compatible with Ghost/Wolfman boosters and 3-lugs?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep. All the P-Series goodies that work with Ghost will fit in Mojave. KeyMicro, 3-Lug, Direct thread, P-Series Xeno.

SilentMike
Dead Air
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yep. All the P-Series goodies that work with Ghost will fit in Mojave. KeyMicro, 3-Lug, Direct thread, P-Series Xeno.

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote
Awesome!

Wow, now I really can't decide between this or the new CGS can.  

One thing that leans heavily in favor of DA though is how responsive to questions and concerns you guys are here. That is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mojave uses Odessa pistons with a 3/4" shank and a 1" head.

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

thanks for answering the two questions i had. if i do end up getting one, i will swap out the piston to an ez lok one (assuming i can get it to work on my mod9).

good on ya for making the can repairable. i know it can be done with printed stuff, just requires some forethought (something i wish hux did with their 556k).

the print/design looks gorgeous.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow, now I really can't decide between this or the new CGS can.  
View Quote

i dont need another 9mm can, but with this and the mod-x im considering getting another.

i love how the suppressor industry continues to innovate and evolve. it looks like printing is here to stay!
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

What calibers is this in reference to?  I thought I saw somewhere that this can isn’t recommended for 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What calibers is this in reference to?  I thought I saw somewhere that this can isn’t recommended for 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SilentMike
Dead Air

im gonna go on a limb here and say 9mm.

hansohn posted the product sheet and it gives the calibers its rated for.

also, what is an 'earthy' tone?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone seen any release date for this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:43:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I seent it where Pappas said in a video end of March or early April.

Quoted:

I take that to mean not a sharp crack like many other cans.  But I do not have the Silencer Testing Merit Badge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#37]
That’s some impressive next level stuff.

Nicely done, DA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Dumb question:

@mageever

It says it's rated for 300BO supers (semi-auto). Aren't 300BO super and 7.62x39 basically the same thing, heat, pressure and power wise?

And if 300BO supers, I wonder why not 5.56?

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#39]
300 BLK is designed to get a near complete propellant burn out of a short barrel. Most 7.62 x 39 and 5.56 is not. Our concern is that you’ll prematurely erode your blast baffle from unburied propellant with a diet of 7.62 x 39 and 5.56.

SilentMike
Dead Air
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
300 BLK is designed to get a near complete propellant burn out of a short barrel. Most 7.62 x 39 and 5.56 is not. Our concern is that you’ll prematurely erode your blast baffle from unburied propellant with a diet of 7.62 x 39 and 5.56.

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

So throw it on a Ruger American 762x39 to pull double duty shooting a deer once a year and not on an AK? Gotcha
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

Thank you for giving us the information.

I’ll be getting one asap!
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#42]
My pleasure.

This has been a really fun, quick project. We’re excited to bring our customers something new that they’ve never seen.
I can’t wait for people to get them in hand and experience the results.

SilentMike
Dead Air
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SilentMike
Dead Air

5.56 muzzle energy of 1250 ft-lbs is way below the 1900 ft-lb rating and is the caliber most people worry about gas blowback and find the sharp tone of many suppressors annoying.  Just trying to see where it fits and what the trade-offs are.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:18:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

Well, there’s functional short barrel 5.56, 7.62commie, and Grendel, and there’s stupid-short.  Stupid deserves what it gets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#45]
NEW 3D Printed Dead Air Mojave Suppressor
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#46]
How long does it take to print one up?  
It would be pretty cool to see a time lapse video of the process.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Here’s my plan:

1. Buy this the second it becomes available
2. Put it up against the Nitro N2O, Omega 9k, and Wolfman on my Dakota D54N, and the winner gets to live on that host for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My pleasure.

This has been a really fun, quick project. We’re excited to bring our customers something new that they’ve never seen.
I can’t wait for people to get them in hand and experience the results.

SilentMike
Dead Air
View Quote

Mike, you really killed it with this new baffle design!  I'm with you.  I just can't wait for people to experience how awesome this can is.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

5.56 muzzle energy of 1250 ft-lbs is way below the 1900 ft-lb rating and is the caliber most people worry about gas blowback and find the sharp tone of many suppressors annoying.  Just trying to see where it fits and what the trade-offs are.
View Quote

I don't know that we'll define it much further, but since you can't always rely on customers understanding how erosive 5.56 is and there will always be someone willing to prove that things can be broken (you know, for internet points), we may restrict 5.56 or put limits on it.  Like, if you think you should run a pistol/subgun/light duty rifle can hardcore on and SBR while mag dumping into trash, then we may need to work on some language.  Frankly, if you're buying this for 5.56, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't know that we'll define it much further, but since you can't always rely on customers understanding how erosive 5.56 is and there will always be someone willing to prove that things can be broken (you know, for internet points), we may restrict 5.56 or put limits on it.  Like, if you think you should run a pistol/subgun/light duty rifle can hardcore on and SBR while mag dumping into trash, then we may need to work on some language.  Frankly, if you're buying this for 5.56, you're doing it wrong.
View Quote
@Mageever @Atlmike

Maybe you guys could make a 5.56 version of this.

Don't make me go buy a Flow 556k.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top