Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 6:53:02 PM EDT
Got to the range today for the first time with my AP5. Over 300 rounds fired using both MKE and H&K mags. I started off with 124 grain NATO ball. Sights out of the box were perfect for ringing steel at 15-25 yards.

After a couple boxes of ball, I switched to reloads. 147 Zero FMJ, 4.0 WSF, loaded to 1.10. Recoil was much smoother. Gun continues to run 100%.  After 150 rounds I can feel the front hand guard warming up.

At this point I am convinced the gun is settling down after an easy break in.

So I switch to my favorite 9mm load. Zero 147 JHP 4.0 WSF. It ran 100%

Then I am feeling brave. I try some Precision Delta 124 jhp flat point version. Gun eats them like candy.

Last ammo of the day. Federal 147 FP.  The one and only failure to feed was one round of this factory ammo.

Observations:

Very pleased with my AP5. Recoil was noticeably less when shooting than AR15 in 9mm using the same ammo.  I shoot left handed, the AP5 does not spit powder in my face. The AP5 slings brass way on out there.

Atlantic Firearms has a new happy customer. The MKE mags are bargain priced and they run great. I need another AP5.
This gun is fun to shoot.

Future plans:

I plan to install a rail for an Aimpoint and enjoy shooting suppressed.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a winner. Did the one malfunction you have happen to be the last round in the mag? I sometimes get ftf on the last round on MKE mags if it's anything other than round nose. As a result, all my mags full of subs or HPs have a ball as the last round.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I really need a fullsize to go with my k (ap5p)
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both. I got the full size first, followed by the K. I shoot the K and carry it around more frequently,  but am still Glad I have the full size. It's fun to dress it up in different "eras".
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My Zenith K has horrible gas to the face when shooting suppressed left handed.

I haven't tried my AP5 full size with my suppressor (Gemtech Lunar 9) yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drobs:
My Zenith K has horrible gas to the face when shooting suppressed left handed.

I haven't tried my AP5 full size with my suppressor (Gemtech Lunar 9) yet.
View Quote

100degree locking piece? You could try an 80. Keep the bolt locked a bit longer
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#7]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
Got to the range today for the first time with my AP5. Over 300 rounds fired using both MKE and H&K mags. I started off with 124 grain NATO ball. Sights out of the box were perfect for ringing steel at 15-25 yards.

After a couple boxes of ball, I switched to reloads. 147 Zero FMJ, 4.0 WSF, loaded to 1.10. Recoil was much smoother. Gun continues to run 100%.  After 150 rounds I can feel the front hand guard warming up.

At this point I am convinced the gun is settling down after an easy break in.

So I switch to my favorite 9mm load. Zero 147 JHP 4.0 WSF. It ran 100%

Then I am feeling brave. I try some Precision Delta 124 jhp flat point version. Gun eats them like candy.

Last ammo of the day. Federal 147 FP.  The one and only failure to feed was one round of this factory ammo.

Observations:

Very pleased with my AP5. Recoil was noticeably less when shooting than AR15 in 9mm using the same ammo.  I shoot left handed, the AP5 does not spit powder in my face. The AP5 slings brass way on out there.

Atlantic Firearms has a new happy customer. The MKE mags are bargain priced and they run great. I need another AP5.
This gun is fun to shoot.

Future plans:

I plan to install a rail for an Aimpoint and enjoy shooting suppressed.

View Quote

Congratulations, when you get a good one they are awesome! I've seen some say their SP5 is heavy grain and or flat nose Sensitive.

It a good feeling when your AP5 eats everything!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:

100degree locking piece? You could try an 80. Keep the bolt locked a bit longer
View Quote

I'm getting some ftf's out of the Zenith. I need to run a few more unsuppressed fmj through it then send it in.
No point in investing much into it at this time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Another trip to range today. 200 rounds of 124 fmj reloads. 124 zero fmj, 5.0 WSF, 1.15. 50 rounds of factory 115 fmj.

100% function. Starting to learn the feel of the trigger. Looking forward to a detail cleaning to further get to know this jewel.

MKE mags are working so well I ordered a few more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#10]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
Another trip to range today. 200 rounds of 124 fmj reloads. 124 zero fmj, 5.0 WSF, 1.15. 50 rounds of factory 115 fmj.

100% function. Starting to learn the feel of the trigger. Looking forward to a detail cleaning to further get to know this jewel.

MKE mags are working so well I ordered a few more.
View Quote

Check a variety of hollow points.

Don't fear the Reaper
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a winner. Did the one malfunction you have happen to be the last round in the mag? I sometimes get ftf on the last round on MKE mags if it's anything other than round nose. As a result, all my mags full of subs or HPs have a ball as the last round.
View Quote

I have the same last round issue with my 2 MKE magazines.  The other 5 HK magazines are flawless.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#12]
My AP5 has been extremely reliable. The only failures to date with a variety of bullet weights and types have been last round failures with the MKE magazines with non ball rounds.  The HK mags have been flawless.

It’s about 2 MOA accurate with 115 gr XTPs at 100 yards using a Burris Fast Fire III.

It’s also been 100% reliable with 147 gr loads and my Omega K suppressor.

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
My AP5 has been extremely reliable. The only failures to date with a variety of bullet weights and types have been last round failures with the MKE magazines with non ball rounds.  The HK mags have been flawless.

It’s about 2 MOA accurate with 115 gr XTPs at 100 yards using a Burris Fast Fire III.

It’s also been 100% reliable with 147 gr loads and my Omega K suppressor.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/153E5425-339F-43DF-9C55-7AF5AA909682.jpeg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds
View Quote

It has been said to be a follower issue? I only had it happen one time. It was a MKE Magazine with the last round of HST 150gr in the AP5-P.

I wonder what the difference between the followers and or spring are?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Century AP5 9.5 barrel and my runs flawessly also, just wonder if your trigger has inproved and what is the trigger pull weight,  new to now with break in, if anyone measured it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bbqchamp2:
I have the Century AP5 9.5 barrel and my runs flawessly also, just wonder if your trigger has inproved and what is the trigger pull weight,  new to now with break in, if anyone measured it?
View Quote

I don't think MP5 triggers improve much with use, like AR and Glock triggers. They start out bad and stay there.  Some polishing can smooth it up some. Good grease in the right spots.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]

I don't think MP5 triggers improve much with use, like AR and Glock triggers. They start out bad and stay there.  Some polishing can smooth it up some. Good grease in the right spots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bbqchamp2:

The problem with MKE triggers is that they leave that neutered auto-sear in there .... combine that with the mods they make to the hammer and it results in mushy resets, and heavy trigger pulls. I beveled/contured the surface of it that rides against the hammer and now have a nice, crisp reset, and a lighter pull.

I'm going on 8K + rounds on my 2015 Zenith imported MKE full sized gun, and haven't replaced a single part ....not an extractor spring, not an ejector .....nothing.

I have never replaced a single part in the HK-94 I've owned since the mid '90's either

Every FTF or FTE was due to a single HK straight mag from the 70's ..... so I sold it to some clown who just wanted to use it to post pictures on Reddit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

The problem with MKE triggers is that they leave that neutered auto-sear in there .... combine that with the mods they make to the hammer and it results in mushy resets, and heavy trigger pulls. I beveled/contured the surface of it that rides against the hammer and now have a nice, crisp reset, and a lighter pull.

I'm going on 8K + rounds on my 2015 Zenith imported MKE full sized gun, and haven't replaced a single part ....not an extractor spring, not an ejector .....nothing.

I have never replaced a single part in the HK-94 I've owned since the mid '90's either

Every FTF or FTE was due to a single HK straight mag from the 70's ..... so I sold it to some clown who just wanted to use it to post pictures on Reddit.
View Quote

Interesting.  Are there any write ups or tutorials about this MKE specific mod? Can the neutered auto sear be removed entirely?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for posting.

And this reminds me that I need to pick up an AP5
to go along with my POF mp5 version.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#19]

Interesting.  Are there any write ups or tutorials about this MKE specific mod? Can the neutered auto sear be removed entirely?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Once MKE grinds the auto sear notch off the hammer, the geometry of the "neutered" auto sear (trip lever removed and mounting points blocked) changes dramatically ..... it almost acts like a brake pad on the hammer ..... take an MKE semi pack, and compare its operation to an FA MP5 pack ..... it'll become quite obvious. The easiest option for most would be to just use a pre-89 HK semi pack. Taking a stone and putting the teeniest amount of radius on the surface of the bolt carrier that contacts the hammer will significantly decrease the effort required to charge the gun / retract the bolt as well.

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]
What's the make of the case? Looking for one this size.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 8:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#21]
Originally Posted By Marshal:
What's the make of the case? Looking for one this size.
Thanks.
View Quote

I'm not @DakotaFAL but I have 29 inch long Bulldog Ultra Compact Discreet Carry Case that perfectly fits my AP5 with brace extended.
Mine is blue but Bulldog currently only offers black on their website:

https://bulldogcases.com/products/ultra-compact-ar15-discreet-sporting-rifle-case?variant=46750485053721

The blue one is available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164887055812

Mine also fits a 10.5 barrel AR15 pistol with brace and my Galil with 16" barrel and stock folded. I can cram in a 6 mag AR bandolier with each gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Do these AP5's come sear pack ready?  I may win the mini lottery one day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 7:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#23]
Originally Posted By ezlife45:
Do these AP5's come sear pack ready?  I may win the mini lottery one day.
View Quote

I was curious and took a dive into the NFA. It looks like you need this bolt carrier with removable sear trip to get around the block in the rear of the MKE AP5 receiver.

$290.
https://armamentusa.com/product/hk-sp5k-mkek-full-auto-carrier-with-removable-sear-trip/

Plus this transferable sear $49,000.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1060698964

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I love the AP5.

Can someone post a picture of the ap5 sitting next to an ap5-p?

I haven’t found a good size comparison.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:57:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#25]
Originally Posted By AR-180:
I love the AP5.

Can someone post a picture of the ap5 sitting next to an ap5-p?

I haven’t found a good size comparison.
View Quote

I have an AP5-P on order to replace the Zenith.
US made jam-o-matic Zenith top with MKE AP5 on the bottom:

Attachment Attached File

The K size will fit in my Ford F150's center console box. The other one wont.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By drobs:

I have an AP5-P on order to replace the Zenith.
US made jam-o-matic Zenith top with MKE AP5 on the bottom:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Zen_vs_MKE_jpg-3301267.JPG

The K size will fit in my Ford F150's center console box. The other one wont.
View Quote

Perfect. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Wish I was on the same boat.  RMAed my first one before even shooting it due to off center bore, and the next two replacements were each worse than the last one.  I've had enough and am trying to just get a refund now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
And Zenith has the balls to want $300-$400 more than an AP5. What’s up with that?
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:01:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgt_D] [#29]
Finally shot my AP5 with some proper subsonic ammunition today-  Fiocchi 158gr fmj

Had blown my fun money budget on the silencer (with an awesome 8 day approval time), and had to wait weeks for the ammo....

Attachment Attached File

No malfs, other than the expected last round in the magazine malf.  Very quiet.  Neighbors were none the wiser.

Ordered an OD green tropical wide forend for it today, a 100 degree locking piece, and a full case of the Fiocchi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top