Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2022 1:48:49 AM EDT
I recently got my form 4 approved and took it out shooting a couple of times so far. A few days ago I decided to take the end cap and I was concerned about the shape of the hole in the front baffle. The flat edges around the hole are not uniform in size and it looks like the hole is off to one side. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this or if I got a baffle strike already. When installed on my rifle it looked concentric to me but since it was a PITA to get it tightened on initially I wonder if it wasn't tight enough when I first shot it. I emailed dead air asking about it but haven't gotten any response yet. I hope it's nothing serious.

The endcap looks good and there isn't anything off with the baffles behind it as far as I can tell, but it was really hard trying to get a picture of them.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The bore is most likely wire-EDM’d to be concentric to the mount (not to each baffle as you were expecting as each baffle can be slightly offset when welded into a stack).  So you can check it with a gauge rod or by bore sighting.  Baffle strikes will be obvious dents, tears, bulges and will also usually take out the front cap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bore is most likely wire-EDM’d to be concentric to the mount (not to each baffle as you were expecting as each baffle can be slightly offset when welded into a stack).  So you can check it with a gauge rod or by bore sighting.  Baffle strikes will be obvious dents, tears, bulges and will also usually take out the front cap.
View Quote

Agreed. That looks normal.

From my experience, I have never had a baffle strike, but a front cap strike happens.  Happened to me twice just barely on the bore of the front cap, not enough to effect the silencer performance but enough for that shot to be widely off target.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Normal.  That looks pretty much identical to mine.  If you'd had a baffle strike your end cap would almost certainly be messed up too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Normal.  That looks pretty much identical to mine.  If you'd had a baffle strike your end cap would almost certainly be messed up too.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn’t that what we call a clipped baffle?  To introduce turbulence?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Isn't that what we call a clipped baffle?  To introduce turbulence?
View Quote
It is a clipped baffle, but OP is referencing the slight offset of the primary bore, not the clipped section.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats how mine look new.  Normal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear it's supposed to be like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top