Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 2:42:48 PM EDT
Local shop has one in .44 mag for $650.  Looks to be in good shape.  It's also a Centennial Model.  I don't know much about Browning lever guns, so any info would be appreciated.  I've been kinda wanting a lever gun in either .44 or .357, not sure if this would be a good choice.  I almost wish it was a standard one and not a centennial.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Search closed Gun Broker auctions. Nice condition guns have been selling for $800-$1400 for like new no box. It's a .44 being that it's a Centennial model. I'd snap that thing up as fast as you can!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Better grab it before someone else does. It's the best Winchester 92 clone out there.  made by Miroku in Japan.

I have three of them, a 44 and two 357's. The only thing I don't like about them is the glossy finish on the wood.

My 44 has had the wood redone, and checkered.  It spent time guarding an Alaska wilderness cabin before I got it.  So I figure it's honest wear.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,  I might have to give it another look tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought it.  Man this thing is nice.  I'm pretty particular and I can't find a flaw on it.  Any idea how to remove the saddle ring?  It's the only thing I don't like about it.  Pics in a bit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it may be a welded ring? If I were you even if you don't like it leave it be, you will only devalue the gun if you alter it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I "think" the saddle ring is installed just like Winchester used to do it, by riveting the ends of the staple inside the receiver.

If so, removal will require grinding the ends inside the receive until the staple and ring can be pulled out.
This will leave two holes in the receiver.
Do this carefully to prevent damaging the bluing on the outside.

I too don't like saddle rings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The ring itself looks like a split ring. I wonder if I could grab both sides with pliers and twist it open enough to get it off the loop. The loop on the receiver is fairly small and I would probably just leave it on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Pic are up, also see post above w/ question about the saddle ring

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrads! This rifle should serve you well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Leave the ring as is.  Use it. The ring will get some nice wear and tear on it, it will look great over time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Leave the ring as is.  Use it. The ring will get some nice wear and tear on it, it will look great over time.
View Quote

I agree.  If you want to save on the receiver wear, get a small piece of leather and try this.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The ring itself looks like a split ring. I wonder if I could grab both sides with pliers and twist it open enough to get it off the loop. The loop on the receiver is fairly small and I would probably just leave it on.
View Quote

The correct way to open a split ring or loop is to twist it to open.
This allows closing it by just twisting it back without distorting the ring.

To protect the finish, I'd use padded pliers, just in case you ever want the ring back on, or decide to sell the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is another option for that saddle ring.  The only lever action rifle that I own is a Rossi 92 rifle with 24" barrel, so no ring.  But I carry all my AR's at the end of a single point sling.  If you have a SRC, here is a way to carry that carbine on a single point sling.

Doughty's Saddle Ring Sling
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Good lookin' stick --- you got a nice deal to boot !
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree.  If you want to save on the receiver wear, get a small piece of leather and try this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2837.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2837.jpg

Well now I know what I'll be doing with my .44mag Rossi 92!  I wonder about a leather stock wrap?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I started to try and twist the split ring but got cold feet as it seemed pretty stout.  I like the leather strap idea, but didn't have any leather handy.  I wrapped the ring in gutted 550 cord until I figure out what to do with it.  It doesn't look too bad that way.  I mainly just didn't wanted it banging around loose like it was.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't be an idiot. Leave the ring.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd love to have that rifle.  PLEASE don't take that ring off.  If it really bothers you, it would me, take the time and wrap it in two layers of black waxed linen thread available at any leather shop.  Won't rattle and won't absorb moisture to rust your receiver.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#20]
maybe some 550 cord around the ring.

clown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top